New menus on Symphony reported

John&LaLa

13 minutes ago, poocher said:

Bechamel which is a white sauce.  Not sure what it’s doing on lasagna.

That's the point😉

Laura makes a Bechamel as the base for her mac n cheese

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1

On the Symphony now. Didn't go to main dining (went to Hooked), but I did look at the menu and I see the spaghetti bolognese is still on there. Maine lobster tail being offered night 1 for $16.99.

I had a lobster tail in hooked. They said it was 4oz, and it was warm water lobster. I'm not a lobster fan but I thought it was good. 

7941F48E-DB7F-4834-9567-C567EB0C44FC.thumb.jpeg.9c1f011c6d29e1556a5b79dd97f3d97c.jpeg972375D0-3E5D-4310-9CFD-3F6BA4D4471A.thumb.png.efb81514cdc8b60baf6f8aeb663949a6.png

• Like 1

On 11/18/2022 at 3:04 PM, poocher said:

On 11/18/2022 at 3:08 PM, John&LaLa said:

That's the point😉

Laura makes a Bechamel as the base for her mac n cheese

I have Bechamel layers in my lasagna mixed with ricotta.  Also have plenty of the sauce and meat.  People love my lasagna.  Different strokes... 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, jk04 said:

I have Bechamel layers in my lasagna mixed with ricotta.  Also have plenty of the sauce and meat.  People love my lasagna.  Different strokes... 

Traditional lasagne has bechamel in place of ricotta along with the red sauce. Ricotta layers are in the Americanized version.

On 11/18/2022 at 3:04 PM, poocher said:

Yum!  I like both marinara and bechamel on cannelloni so I'm sure your recipe is delicious!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

On the Symphony now. Didn't go to main dining (went to Hooked), but I did look at the menu and I see the spaghetti bolognese is still on there. Maine lobster tail being offered night 1 for $16.99.

I had a lobster tail in hooked. They said it was 4oz, and it was warm water lobster. I'm not a lobster fan but I thought it was good. 

7941F48E-DB7F-4834-9567-C567EB0C44FC.thumb.jpeg.9c1f011c6d29e1556a5b79dd97f3d97c.jpeg972375D0-3E5D-4310-9CFD-3F6BA4D4471A.thumb.png.efb81514cdc8b60baf6f8aeb663949a6.png

It's my understanding the bolognese and escargot are now only on certain nights. So they are and aren't still there I guess? Why remove the bolognese from every night when it's a cheap and easy staple is beyond me.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bretts173 said:

Ricotta should be banned from Lasagne, horrible texture. A good bechamel for a creamy and much tastier traditional lasagne.

I use beaten eggs mixed well with the ricotta and mozzarella which helps bind the ricotta and create a "cheesy" texture.  I've not personally made it with bechamel, but, I'm also not opposed to trying!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Royal's lasagna is the worst I've ever tried anywhere. The texture is mushy, the flavors are just off, and that bechamel or whatever it is has no taste. It's like a layer of wallpaper paste on dog food. 

I think two tails would be fair, more than that go ahead and upcharge. We usually get the steak with it, hope that's still okay. 

More and more I'm just going to head to windjammer and have some soup and make a cheese plate to enjoy with some wine and just relax. I wish there were more casual dining options as other cruise lines have started to do. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Lobster night was my final night in MDR - I settled for Windjammer on the final night.  

Just finished my survey and definitely stated my opinion.  The whole menu thing clearly didn't ruin my cruise, but it was an asterisk on what was overall a very enjoyable week aboard Symphony.  

I'd even settle for a tiered charge, I understand the need to curb abuse and know it's pricey.  Something like $5 for a second and then $16.99 beyond even sounds reasonable, I just wanted a second with how small they still were.  

I did peek ahead in the app and saw the menu was sticking around at least this current cruise, so it'll be interesting to see if there's any tweaks yet

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, garrymorere said:

Lobster night was my final night in MDR - I settled for Windjammer on the final night.  

Just finished my survey and definitely stated my opinion.  The whole menu thing clearly didn't ruin my cruise, but it was an asterisk on what was overall a very enjoyable week aboard Symphony.  

I'd even settle for a tiered charge, I understand the need to curb abuse and know it's pricey.  Something like $5 for a second and then $16.99 beyond even sounds reasonable, I just wanted a second with how small they still were.  

I did peek ahead in the app and saw the menu was sticking around at least this current cruise, so it'll be interesting to see if there's any tweaks yet

how else was your week on Symphony? I will be on Symphony on few weeks. Would love to hear about your experience. Taking a first time cruiser. So hoping an planning for a great week. Let me know I'd you have any suggestions based on current conditions / experiences. Thanks 

12 hours ago, bretts173 said:

Ricotta should be banned from Lasagne, horrible texture. A good bechamel for a creamy and much tastier traditional lasagne.

I think my wife mixes an egg into it to make it creamy.

Personally I like cottage cheese in it🤣

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Steeler Nation At Sea said:

I use beaten eggs mixed well with the ricotta and mozzarella which helps bind the ricotta and create a "cheesy" texture.  I've not personally made it with bechamel, but, I'm also not opposed to trying!

Is there any other way to prepare the ricotta cheese?  I mean you don’t use it straight out of the container 🤷‍♀️.  Truth be told, I’d eat it with a spoon out of the container but that’s not how I prepare it for lasagna.

6 minutes ago, poocher said:

Is there any other way to prepare the ricotta cheese?  I mean you don’t use it straight out of the container 🤷‍♀️.  Truth be told, I’d eat it with a spoon out of the container but that’s not how I prepare it for lasagna.

Many do layer PLAIN ricotta and shredded mozz. Sadly.  

# cravinglasagnenow

Edited by Steeler Nation At Sea
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, poocher said:

16 ounces well drained (in cheese cloth) Ricotta cheese.

12 ounces shredded whole milk mozzarella

3/4 cup of FRESH chopped Italian Parsley

at least 1/2 cup grated Locatelli Romano cheese

Careful with salt as the cheese can be salty

Sprinkle with fresh ground black pepper till it looks like a very light snow of pepper.

3 whole eggs.

Combine and let the flavors meld for a few hours in the fridge.

Bake until internal temp is 170 and sauce is bubbling 

ALLOW TO SIT FOR 30 MINUTES TO FIRM UP. 

Same filling can be used for homemade ravioli, stuffed shells or manicotti.

Edited by boscobeans
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, poocher said:

YES!!!!  That’s exactly how I make it!  Ok I add a pound or so of ground beef/sausage cuz hubby likes meat in it.

The sauce and the meat(s) are a different story. 

At family gatherings I make the lasagna and sauce meatless and serve Sweet and Hot sausages with fried onions and peppers long with a pile of meatballs.

I even make one BREAD LOAF pan of gluten free lasagna for a niece who has an allergy, Not that good but tasty anyway.
PS the meatballs are made with oatmeal so our one niece can eat them. The half-cooked oatmeal makes a decent sub for softened bread.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

The sauce and the meat(s) are a different story. 

At family gatherings I make the lasagna and sauce meatless and serve Sweet and Hot sausages with fried onions and peppers long with a pile of meatballs.

I even make one BREAD LOAF pan of gluten free lasagna for a niece who has an allergy, Not that good but tasty anyway.
PS the meatballs are made with oatmeal so our one niece can eat them. The half-cooked oatmeal makes a decent sub for softened bread.

Love the Italian sweet sausage cut into thin disks

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John&LaLa said:

Love the Italian sweet sausage cut into thin disks

When I make that kind I use pork, asiago cheese, parsley and fennel with a touch of anise. 

I use sheep casings (same like for hotdogs). 

Best cooked on the grill.  It is my summer favorite.

• Like 1