GeorgiaPeach Sails the Atlantic on Splendor

GeorgiaPeach51

19 hours ago, BBWC said:

I have seen entertainment staff help with checking in on embarkation day, but I think they have a different type of visa. Doesn’t NCL have a US-based facility where the production casts, including Regent’s, practice the shows? So I assume they are allowed to work in the US.

Sorry,  @BBWC, I can’t answer that question.

16 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

Then in October we will be on the Voyager, Athens to Rome.  

Thanks for the great review.  We are also on Voyager next Oct. from Athens to Rome.  Really looking forward to the cruise, especially Israel and Egypt.  Coincidentally we live just south of Atlanta.  

Will see you on board in Oct.!  😎

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

Thanks for the great review.  We are also on Voyager next Oct. from Athens to Rome.  Really looking forward to the cruise, especially Israel and Egypt.  Coincidentally we live just south of Atlanta.  

Will see you on board in Oct.!  😎

Looking forward to meeting you!  It’s a fantastic itinerary and hits several of our bucket list items….more of Greece rather than just Mykonos and Santorini, Istanbul,  Israel, as you said, and pyramids.  We will all be worn out by the time we return!

• Like 2

Just now, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

We will all be worn out by the time we return!

That's the truth!!!  We have more than one 10-12 hour excursions booked between Egypt and Israel!  Gonna need a month to recover when we get home.  At least it'll be SEC Football season so lots of time watching games when we get back. 😎

• Like 1

Two weeks to go till we leave for the Splendor holiday cruise. We are taking 3 days to get to Miami( 1 to get off the island- we have a foot of snow here, and no one could get off- no flights or ferries running one day last week-1 to Seattle, and 1 to Miami, then 2 nights there before boarding), and I’m still a little anxious.

What on earth am I going to do for those 2 weeks without your lovely blog each day! Maybe you could just keep posting after you get home- love to hear about the gourmet meals you will be having, how about a tour through your house, showing us all the special little areas like you did on Splendor, and don’t forget afternoon tea😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

11 minutes ago, vegasdriven said:

Two weeks to go till we leave for the Splendor holiday cruise. We are taking 3 days to get to Miami( 1 to get off the island- we have a foot of snow here, and no one could get off- no flights or ferries running one day last week-1 to Seattle, and 1 to Miami, then 2 nights there before boarding), and I’m still a little anxious.

What on earth am I going to do for those 2 weeks without your lovely blog each day! Maybe you could just keep posting after you get home- love to hear about the gourmet meals you will be having, how about a tour through your house, showing us all the special little areas like you did on Splendor, and don’t forget afternoon tea😄

See you on board! We leave in 2 weeks and 2 days. 

And yes, I’d love to see the home made gourmet dinners and afternoon teas. Maybe a re run of the recipes you learned in your cookery class, GeorgiaPeach!

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

But we have four cruises booked, and that tells you that we are very happy with what Regent has to offer.  We will be on the Navigator, Miami to Montreal next May.  Then in October we will be on the Voyager, Athens to Rome.  Then in April 2024 we will do the Grandeur, New York to Barcelona.  And finally, the Explorer, Hong Kong to Bali in November, 2024. 

Besides the 2 Regent cruises we have booked for 2023 I now have 4 more cruises to look forward to through your wonderful reports!  

• Thanks 1

Well, I fought bravely to stuff them back under the bed only to have them repeatedly pop out the sides.  If nature abhors a vacuum, the same must be true of suitcases clamoring to be filled, so I am going to get it over with with as few tears as possible.  Sigh.

image.thumb.jpeg.d5150f590668ae868f75f4eae490534c.jpeg

It is compassionate of Regent to get the hateful things out from under the bed, though.  I have had enough years of crawling around on the floor with the bed linens in my face, fishing around for the handles, trying not to say a naughty word or two or ten.  Bet you can say the same.

A small disappointment for the five year old me who was so hoping to see Christmas decorations up around the ship.  Apparently they didn’t arrive as expected in San Juan.  Hopefully those of you boarding will get that treat.  

Heading shortly to the business center to do the survey.  Don’t forget that you have to do it while on board.  I’ll be back later.

This is a very personal and private issue, and everyone just needs to feel good with whatever you do.  Tipping or not.  We decided to make a contribution to the Crew Fund this trip.  That way the hard working folks in the laundry, in the back of the restaurants, etc., might get some benefit.  If you feel so inclined, you just go to the Reception Desk.  I have been told the fund is used for things like parties, and to pay for employees to go on tours.  Just an FYI in case you feel so inclined.  You can put it on your shipboard account.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, bebop bonnie said:

GP, you are amazing!  We met (too briefly) on your first Regent cruise and I loved your blog then. Since I'm not on board now, I especially treasure this thread.  Thank you!!

Bonnie! I remember meeting you!  Hope to meet again someday soon!

• Like 1

Really enjoyed your blog and meeting you at all the games,trivia etc. It has been a pleasure and we loved your list of what you missed the first time so have been busy trying to get everything done before we disembark tomorrow. I think you have given a very fair summary of the cruise

• Thanks 1

I meant to post the stats the Captain quoted after the crew show.  I caught most but not all.  I missed the number of bottles of champagne.

Cost for fuel: $830,000.

The ship has used the following:

1600 pounds of meat

4000 pounds of flour

950 lobsters

22,000 eggs (that is not a typo!)

5400 bottles of beer

3000 bottles of eine

950 bottles of liquor

Interesting!

I will return tomorrow once we get to the airport to give you my final thoughts.

My bags are packed, I’m NOT ready to go….

13 minutes ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

I meant to post the stats the Captain quoted after the crew show.  I caught most but not all.  I missed the number of bottles of champagne.

Cost for fuel: $830,000.

The ship has used the following:

1600 pounds of meat

4000 pounds of flour

950 lobsters

22,000 eggs (that is not a typo!)

5400 bottles of beer

3000 bottles of eine

950 bottles of liquor

Interesting!

I will return tomorrow once we get to the airport to give you my final thoughts.

My bags are packed, I’m NOT ready to go….

I’ve been reading everyday. I hate you are debarking.  I’ll miss you. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Kristal Blade said:

I have one final question for you GeorgiaPeach,

We are cruising over Christmas. Should my husband take his dinner suit/tuxedo? We are thinking yes, but maybe white jacket. 
Please chime in with advice.

Thank you.

Hi KB

I know you asked GP but as we’re cruising on Explorer over Christmas thought I’d chime in. RP is taking a jacket, but it’s a sports jacket type not a DJ or Tux.

There will be a few men in DJ’s but they are in the minority. He’s not taking any ties either……

Ladies do tend to dress up a bit more though.

Whatever you decide, you won’t look out of place .

Enjoy your cruise  - which ship are you on?

LP

@Kristal Blade I agree with @lprp.  I saw no tuxedos or dinner jackets but did see plenty of suits and suit jackets.  My husband brought his navy blue suit and used the jacket at dinner.  You may see more festive dress over the holidays.  I would say the men were about 50/50 on wearing jackets vs w dress shirt on this cruise.   Most were long sleeved.

on our first cruise we did see a few tuxes.  And a few ladies dressed more formally with glitter and sequins.  I also agree that you need to dress to please yourselves.  We do.  If you want to be festive and dress up then do it.  No one will care.  I love to see a couple in tux and gown or cocktail dress.  I would think people will be more dressy on a holiday cruise but cannot state that for sure.  If I ever do a holiday cruise I would for sure be more dressy and so would my husband.  Have fun and if you want to dress up go for it.

2 hours ago, lprp said:

Hi KB

I know you asked GP but as we’re cruising on Explorer over Christmas thought I’d chime in. RP is taking a jacket, but it’s a sports jacket type not a DJ or Tux.

There will be a few men in DJ’s but they are in the minority. He’s not taking any ties either……

Ladies do tend to dress up a bit more though.

Whatever you decide, you won’t look out of place .

Enjoy your cruise  - which ship are you on?

LP

Thanks for that LP,

We are on Splendour. We watched a repeat of the prog on channel 5 last night about “The world’s most expensive cruise ship”. We were trying to spot djs and they did seem to be in short supply.

However, we like to dress up a bit, we will be celebrating Christmas, my birthday and new year on this cruise so I am thinking what the hell! We have business class flight so great luggage allowance.

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

@Kristal Blade I agree with @lprp.  I saw no tuxedos or dinner jackets but did see plenty of suits and suit jackets.  My husband brought his navy blue suit and used the jacket at dinner.  You may see more festive dress over the holidays.  I would say the men were about 50/50 on wearing jackets vs w dress shirt on this cruise.   Most were long sleeved.

on our first cruise we did see a few tuxes.  And a few ladies dressed more formally with glitter and sequins.  I also agree that you need to dress to please yourselves.  We do.  If you want to be festive and dress up then do it.  No one will care.  I love to see a couple in tux and gown or cocktail dress.  I would think people will be more dressy on a holiday cruise but cannot state that for sure.  If I ever do a holiday cruise I would for sure be more dressy and so would my husband.  Have fun and if you want to dress up go for it.

Thanks GeorgiaPeach,

As I said in my reply to lprp we aren’t worried about the weight of our luggage and we have lots to celebrate so I think we might just throw it in along with a stripey cotton blazer. I have some sparkly dresses, more cocktail style than full evening dress, but I think they will be fine.

Safe travels home, please let us know when you get there!

• Like 2

We have just opened the weekend section of our newspaper. Pages 2 and 3 are an ad for RSSC.

There is a couple gazing fondly at one another in the photo…. He is wearing a suit!! It’s soft focus and I can’t decide if he has on a bow tie or if it’s just a shadow.

decision made, we are taking the suit! Ha ha.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Kristal Blade said:

We are cruising over Christmas. Should my husband take his dinner suit/tuxedo?

We were on Mariner for a holiday cruise last year and there were many who dressed up, especially on New Year's Eve. Certainly more DJs/Tux than on Regent cruises at other times of the year.

David will be packing his for Splendor this Xmas/New Year.

3 hours ago, Kristal Blade said:

We watched a repeat of the prog on channel 5 last night about “The world’s most expensive cruise ship”. We were trying to spot djs and they did seem to be in short supply.

The "Christmas" edition of that programme was actually filmed on the two cruises preceding the Holiday cruise, so not many guests would have had their Xmas/New Year "glad rags" with them.

See you on board soon 😎. It will be good to get away from the cold weather 🙂

@GeorgiaPeach51, Thanks for a fabulous blog. Hope you have left enough food & drink on board for those of us joining the ship this month 😉

Safe travel home.

Edited by flossie009
  • Like 1