Sapphire has Covid.

marmac761

Captain announced yesterday 46 passengers had tested positive for Covid.  I noticed a lot of passengers coughing the last few days.  Wondering how many have it but have not been tested yet.  We are due back to LA Thursday. 
If you are boarding on November 17th, might bring masks for extra protection!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the reply marcac761....We will be boarding on Thursday and got Flu and covid booster shots last month. Will be driving to the port with mask in hand as a precaution. Your cruise back to LA sounds normal as far as covid is concerned. The virus is there it is not going to just disappear overnight. For you have a safe trip home. Tim

• Like 3

So is the crew now masking?    How about the passengers?   We board her Thursday for Hawaii.   I am not surprised that 46 KNOWN cases.  Percentage wise, that’s fairly small.  Of course, who knows how many unreported cases.  It seems that Covid cases increase late into the cruise, which makes sense.

• Like 1

Someone onboard said our 11/17 cruise would have 2045 passengers per passenger services which was 300 less than they currently have so 2345+ with crew.   .02 percent is real good.  We're flying and will wear masks in the airport and plane.  We got our flu shots and latest booster over a month ago so we're as ready as we can be.

• Like 1

Every ship has Covid. Every hotel has Covid. Every school has Covid. Every restaurant, grocery store, theater, plane, etc. has Covid. It's everywhere. It seems that Cruise ships are the only places that get such intense scrutiny and cause people to freak out when there are cases of Covid.

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Every ship has Covid. Every hotel has Covid. Every school has Covid. Every restaurant, grocery store, theater, plane, etc. has Covid. It's everywhere. It seems that Cruise ships are the only places that get such intense scrutiny and cause people to freak out when there are cases of Covid.

Yep...remember the 'good old days' when it was 'just' Noro....?

🤢

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ombud said:

46 out of how many on board (pax + crew)? Just trying to figure out if it is higher or lower than the general California public. 

Getting a percentage of the public that current has COVID-19 is very hard.  You'd need to test EVERYONE within a few days, then get someone to tabulate the results, and somehow filter out the false test results.  My personal best guess is that throughout most of this pandemic, the percentage of the general population (regardless of state) that has a current infection has hovered between 0.25% and 2%.

46 confirmed cases is between 1 and 2% of the passenger + crew load on most Princess ships.  My gut is telling me this is relatively high for most cruises sailing in the U.S. these days, but not outrageously so.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, voljeep said:

school - 8 hours max - 16 off - 

restaurant - 2 hours

grocery store - 30 minutes

theatre - 2 hours? ... my last show was maybe 'Frozen'

plane - 3 hours for us

cruise - 5 days 24/day

huge difference and able to track

We cruised 14 days in May. Masked part of the time but maybe half the time unmasked. Many unmasked passengers. Neither of us got Covid. Attended a memorial gathering in a local pub that closed for the occasion. Maybe 2 hours in the venue. My wife got Covid. Granted, her symptoms were very mild and only lasted one day (although she continued to test positive for 15 days!). The length of time in a venue doesn't seem to be the determining factor. Of course, if a lot more people in a venue are positive it does upgrade the chance of infection but we are tired of worrying about it. Double vaxed and double boostered. Soon to be triple boostered and getting our flu shots as well. I still think there is far too much "hoopla" surrounding cruise ship cases.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SargassoPirate said:

And millions have cruised since the restart and been Covid-free, but that doesn't garner sensational headlines.

And don't forget all the people who have it and don't want to say a word for fear of being quarantined. 

• Like 4

On the Caribbean Princess right now. I could count on my 2 hands the number of masks being worn. As for elevators, recall that we were told you needed to be within 6 feet off an infected person for 15 minutes before you would be infected. Long elevator ride!

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

And don't forget all the people who have it and don't want to say a word for fear of being quarantined. 

Once again, MissP22, I like the way you think.  Millions of people DO NOT have Covid, but that doesn't make good headlines.  

I'd love to buy you a wee dram, unmasked of course.  

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, sabreline said:

On the Caribbean Princess right now. I could count on my 2 hands the number of masks being worn. As for elevators, recall that we were told you needed to be within 6 feet off an infected person for 15 minutes before you would be infected. Long elevator ride!

On the sky right now and I can count on one hand the number of people wearing them.

• Like 2

I am currently on board the Sapphire.  It appears that masks are still optional for the crew and some are wearing them.  I do see more masks among passengers since the captains announcement yesterday.  Today I am keeping to myself in my cabin, but going to dinner in the MDR.  Captain is on PA right now and new count is 83, nearly doubled Ugh!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The Captain of the Sapphire announced a few minutes ago that we are now at 83 confirmed cases, but are still at level 2 whatever that means. He will update us tomorrow as to where we stand after Ensenada. There are some more people wearing masks, and some more employees wearing masks…not sure if I would say it is the majority. 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, hpeabody said:

I am currently on board the Sapphire.  It appears that masks are still optional for the crew and some are wearing them.  I do see more masks among passengers since the captains announcement yesterday.  Today I am keeping to myself in my cabin, but going to dinner in the MDR.  Captain is on PA right now and new count is 83, nearly doubled Ugh!

9 hours ago, marmac761 said:

Captain announced yesterday 46 passengers had tested positive for Covid.  I noticed a lot of passengers coughing the last few days.  Wondering how many have it but have not been tested yet.  We are due back to LA Thursday. 
If you are boarding on November 17th, might bring masks for extra protection!

I'd say only 46 passengers is a win