Hawaii on the Edge - Infinite Veranda vs Sunset Veranda

bebe08

Hi all, we have never been on an E class ship...we have one coming up on the Edge in Feb and will be in an IV.  So suffice to say we don't know yet if we will like it.

We would love to do the Hawaii on the Edge cruise in 2024 and really interested to hear whether an IV or SV would be better for this cruise.  We have only done one SV and while we enjoyed it wasn't sure it was worth the extra $$.  In the case of the Edge the IV and SV are priced very similarly so want to choose the one we would enjoy the most.  I understand the seas can get rough on the crossing... is it more so on a SV?  Also would like to have at least some shade on our balcony.  We are trying to decide whether to wait until onboard and see if we like the IV and then book onboard, but I understand the SVs tend to sell out quickly.  We always choose a cabin as far from the elevator as possible as we find them quieter and don't mind the extra walking so that isn't a factor.  

Would love to hear from those who have been in both IV and SV and what you would choose in this case.

TIA!

I have done two Edge cruises, both in a SV.  I cannot comment on the IV.  You don't say in which direction you are sailing.  We chose a SV on Solstice a few years back when we sailed from Hawaii to Vancouver.  Sailing east, we were able to enjoy beautiful sunsets every night from our balcony.  I would never hesitate to book a SV (in fact, have booked SV for upcoming sailings).

1 minute ago, lola2013 said:

I have done two Edge cruises, both in a SV.  I cannot comment on the IV.  You don't say in which direction you are sailing.  We chose a SV on Solstice a few years back when we sailed from Hawaii to Vancouver.  Sailing east, we were able to enjoy beautiful sunsets every night from our balcony.  I would never hesitate to book a SV (in fact, have booked SV for upcoming sailings).

The Edge cruise is Vancouver to Hawaii.  Thanks for your input 🙂

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RichYak said:

If having a balcony at all is a necessity, then your choice is easy. SV has a balcony, IV doesn't.

I've heard that but haven't experienced an IV myself...trying to keep an open mind until we have tried it.  

Is there anyone who actually likes the IV who can compare it to SV?

I've read a ton about how the IV is not a true balcony, but I know there are some who really like them so I figure there must be something to it and willing to give it a try...will try anything once lol!  

23 minutes ago, bebe08 said:

I've read a ton about how the IV is not a true balcony, but I know there are some who really like them so I figure there must be something to it and willing to give it a try...will try anything once lol!  

"True balcony" seems to be a phrase manufactured by some on Cruise Critic. I'm not even sure what it means.

Plenty of people love IV. They are beautiful, extremely spacious, oceanview cabins with floor to ceiling windows that let in a ton of light and open half way to give you access to fresh air. For me, I think they'd be a good cold-weather cruise alternative.

With SV cabins, you'll probably sacrifice some interior space but you'll be able to go outside onto your balcony which are generally quite large. Watching the wake as you sail is mesmerizing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, RichYak said:

"True balcony" seems to be a phrase manufactured by some on Cruise Critic. I'm not even sure what it means.

Plenty of people love IV. They are beautiful, extremely spacious, oceanview cabins with floor to ceiling windows that let in a ton of light and open half way to give you access to fresh air. For me, I think they'd be a good cold-weather cruise alternative.

With SV cabins, you'll probably sacrifice some interior space but you'll be able to go outside onto your balcony which are generally quite large. Watching the wake as you sail is mesmerizing.

100% agree and it should be noted there are those on pro-IV that prefer the SV just because it's AFT facing

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

SV and suites will be the first to be booked.  I’d grab an SV while you can and then decide.  

This is what the Celebrity agent says to me when asked. SV usually go first followed by sky suites. He said most post cruise comments are from people saying they won’t sail in an IV again if they can avoid it. But if you want concierge or Aqua than IV is your only choice on E class. 

Thanks for the replies.  It hadn't occured to me to book the SV now while they are still available, and then if we absolutely love the IV it sounds like we can switch our booking to an IV later on.  Am I understanding that correctly?

4 hours ago, bebe08 said:

I like the IV! Definitely in the minority here. I think for Hawaii the IV would be particularly nice because it won't be 90+ degrees outside. I would book a room that has the couch closer to the IV. You can find this out by looking at the deck plans and the "notch" in the cabin is where the bed is, so you would want the notch further from the IV. 

When I sailed the Edge, it was July in the Caribbean so it was wildly hot. We just opened the IV a crack so we could hear the ocean, and then enjoyed the views. It was nice to not have to deal with the elements (I am not a very heat or sun tolerant person). I can't compare it to a sunset verandah, but I feel like I spent more time enjoying the IV than I did a normal balcony. I particularly liked lounging on the couch, looking out, while my partner got ready for dinner. I was already ready and did not have to worry about wind or heat. I mean what is not to love about this view? And we can easily play cards while enjoying it. I say give it a try to see if it works for your preferences. I think it is just a nice, unobstructed view that you get while in your room, which is not the case with a typical balcony. 

image.thumb.png.d78e82dfeb0bcece67f1be3962655335.pngimage.thumb.png.cc211e1d67ae6b173c55252a9b728d52.png

Edited by AbbyCruiser45
Added a picture
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just for a good comparison try this SV view. If you want the same view you get from an IV cabin in an SV cabin just close the floor to ceiling patio doors in the SV cabin and read your book inside on the couch or bed haha. Also, you are almost always able to find yourself enough shade on an SV balcony for two chairs and the rear of the ship is the least windy part of any other ship location. 

5F3FCC73-AA8C-437A-B64B-F77B59F3EABE.thumb.jpeg.dccfaa7d9e596a4b5c23c87ad795c115.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all!  We are going ahead and booking a SV 🙂  DH is fairly sure he is going to like the IV but I am on the fence.  Don't want to take a chance and have the SVs all sold out before we get a chance to experience the IV in Feb and book onboard.  Black Friday promo seems pretty good too!

• Like 1