TSA

jack dcruiser

You can't purchase the TSA, but you can sign up for TSA Pre-Check.

Tell us about your need for "timely" TSA clearance. Generally, if you don't fly often, like at least a couple times a year, I wouldn't buy it. Comparing, we fly 3-5 times a year, we feel its different worth it.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, jack dcruiser said:

If you don't fly often, but need to get through security in a timely fashion, is it worth purchasing?

Depending on your airline and your class of travel you might have access to faster security lines anyway.

Typically First/Business Class tickets provide a Priority line for security but depends on the airline and airport. Some airlines, such as United, will allow you to buy it even if you're in the cheap seats. On UA it's known as Premier Access and comes with some other ground benefits such as a different check-in area.

17 minutes ago, fbgd said:

Depending on your airline and your class of travel you might have access to faster security lines anyway.

Typically First/Business Class tickets provide a Priority line for security but depends on the airline and airport. Some airlines, such as United, will allow you to buy it even if you're in the cheap seats. On UA it's known as Premier Access and comes with some other ground benefits such as a different check-in area.

Faster lines is one thing, but actual Pre-Check has far more important benefits for me.  No need to remove my Kippie bag from my carry-on, nor my laptop.  Shoes and belts get to stay on, and I use the walk-through metal detector rather than the Nude-O-Scope.

I have Global Entry, which includes Pre-Check, and combine that with Clear.  Pretty much gets me breezing through the security process, and the prices are paid for by my credit cards.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2022 at 11:20 AM, FlyerTalker said:

Faster lines is one thing, but actual Pre-Check has far more important benefits for me. 

100% agree. I've not obtained TSA Pre-Check standalone (have it included with GE also) but assumed it's a bit more involved than just paying some $$$ for it. For someone who doesn't fly often much the Premier Access type bundle would be cheaper and easier, if they're just trying to get through security lines a bit faster.

On 11/17/2022 at 7:44 AM, jack dcruiser said:

If you don't fly often, but need to get through security in a timely fashion, is it worth purchasing?

Define "don't fly often."  If you mean you fly once every 2 or 3 years, or even once a year then no I wouldn't worry about it; just get to the airport extra early.

If you fly a couple of times a year then yes, I'd get it.

5 minutes ago, waterbug123 said:

Define "don't fly often."  If you mean you fly once every 2 or 3 years, or even once a year then no I wouldn't worry about it; just get to the airport extra early.

If you fly a couple of times a year then yes, I'd get it.

Already asked...hasn't come back to post since.

Would only add that UA Premier Access is a waste, IMO. You can use Premier Access kiosks to check in, but you can do it at home for free.  Even though UA’s webpage lists airports with PA TSA lines, many of those airports don’t have a separate security line. You must use regular line.  I wouldn’t spend money for it, and it’s not comparable to TSA Pre-check in any way.

Edited by 6rugrats

Hmmm..... TSA Pre-check is $85 for five years while Global Entry (includes TSA Pre-check) is $100. That's only a $15 difference. The biggest challenge is just getting a interview slot for the initial interview, and the limited Global Entry interview offices. When my mother and I moved to DFW (major airline hub), one of the first things we did was get Global Entry with the intention of international travel in 2020 and 2021. That... didn't work out as planned. 

Yes, I'd choose for GE.  While waiting for your interview, if you are eligible, use Mobile Passport Control.  It's free and easy, and you will  get through the line more quickly most of the time.

Edited by 6rugrats

Check with your credit card company. Some offer TSA Pre-check reimbursement, ours did. My wife being diabetic with an insulin pump, we have issues everywhere there is security scanners. We have the doctor's not on the medical need, device, serial number, etc. It always gets attention. Having TSA Pre-check made it completely worthwhile because the lines are smaller, less rush to get through, and the TSA agents appear to be a little more accommodating.

One thing to note as well, by having TSA Pre-check doesn't mean you won't get sent to the regular line. Maybe 10% are still moved to go through the regular TSA line even if you have Pre-check. It is something to weigh in your decision process. 

One example of it being very useful is our daughter traveled alone. The group she was with were in line at TSA in MCO. She got through pre-check in about 15 minutes. The others in the group were still in the TSA line for another 90 minutes, almost 2 hours.