Time killers in Miami/Ft Lauderdale

shari1737

My hubby & I are booked on an April cruise but we were only able to get a flight out at 7pm the day we disembark.  What are things you recommend we could do after get back from our cruise?  We don't want to just go to the airport & hang out several hours.  Thanks!

It would be helpful to know where you are getting off your ship and which airport you are flying out of.

The water taxi in Ft Lauderdale is very commonly recommended when your question comes up, as it does frequently. Its a fun way to spend at least 3 hours, more if you want to investigate things at some of your stops.

Also check with your cruise line for Luggage Direct services to take care of your bags, if you are sailing into Ft Lauderdale.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

yes .... issue one becomes what are you going to do with your bags while you do something other than go to the airport - and btw you can's just give yours bags the the airline that many hours b4 you fly either.

The easiest option is to rent a car - toss the bags in the boot - and then go do what ya want. HINT - ya want a car with an ENCLOSED TRUNK cuz visible bags are a great temptation to 'some folks'.  Luggage direct might work too . . 

THEN some suggestions in no particular order

- Bayside Miami and a boat tour of the 'mansions' waterside

- hop on hop off (most base out of Bayside and some INCLUDE the previously mentioned boat tour)

- people watch on South Beach

- lunch at Joe's (seasonal)

- Sawgrass Mills ..... HUGE outlet mall ..... visited by MANY who are passing thru Miami/Lauderdale b4 returning home . . .

just a few random ideas . . .

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

We were recently in the same position with an 8pm flight out of Miami.  A $12 uber ride from port to Bayside was quick and we stowed our bags through a luggage service that was around $15 for the day at a luggage shop at Bayside.  We booked the boat cruise and hop on hop off bus for the day. $55 each starting from Bayside.  Then booked $25 uber to the airport.

Cruise was $179 pp for basically the same and glad we didn't rent a car as originally planned as parking was noted as expensive and a hassle to navigate traffic.  It was nice to sit back and enjoy the ride.

Boat cruise well worth it.  Hop on and off wasn't as good as we expected but got to South Beach and a big loop around town.

• Like 1

We are wondering the same.  Getting off the Oasis in Miami and flying out of FFL at 6:30pm.  Does anyone know if you book an excursion with Royal for the day (5 hours) do you meet on board the ship and disembark together or do you get off and meet in the parking lot?  Thank you for any info.

You would normally meet your tour group after getting off of the ship and clearing Customs. The excursion won't be a whole day thing so you will still have a few hours to kill at the airport. I normally rent a vehicle for the minimum twenty four hour time period and go somewhere for a walk on the beach followed by a late lunch and a few drinks. My luggage is safely secured in the trunk of the rental vehicle too!

On 11/19/2022 at 6:52 AM, JohninDC said:

resortpass.com will link you to hotels/resorts offering day passes to their spa/pool/beach facilities.  Tip them to store your bags while you are pampered, swim and enjoy lunch.

This is what we usually do.  We sometimes look for an inexpensive room and book that. Then you have benefit of an actual room and often free shuttle to airport

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting options offered here. We get off the Apex in FLL in on the 14th of Jan 2023 and our flight is at 8:45 pm. DH wanted to do a half-day fishing while I wanted to try the Water Taxi way to visit the city of Fort Lauderdale. Originally, I figured the best thing would be to get to FLL airport from Port Everglades...find a locker at the airport for our two carry-ons...and then figure out public transportation/ taxi to where the Water Trolleys start (I see this free option connects to the Water Taxi routes).... any better ideas what to do with our carry-ons? Due to DH and I doing different things for half a day, renting a car is not an option. Thanks for any advice.