Grand Princess Vs. Sapphire Princess-Alaska cruise

rdhed

HI,

In the early stages of planning a possible Alaskan cruise and looking at either a one-way voyage on either the Grand or Sapphire- Husband and I did a southbound about 15 yrs ago on Coral princess so vaguely familiar with the princess brand but assuming some stuff has changed since then. This time it will be us and two teens. Are there any major differences between the two ships or are they fairly equal? Things that I think might be important this time- indoor pool areas, sports court, Teen/kids club activities for evenings. I know Majestic Princess does one-way sailings as well but ruled that out for now. 

46 minutes ago, VibeGuy said:

Sapphire by a mile - wider promenade, better designed dining rooms, more top deck space per passenger (wider and longer).  

Grand has the superior disco for late night with better access to fresh air, but that’s it.  

Agree completely.

Theo

They’re relatively equal, but there’s just something special about the Sapphire that gets to your heart. Also, like others have pointed out, the Sapphire has Skywalker‘s, which is a really cool venue. Sapphire also has four separate dining rooms, and I don’t know if they are doing this post Covid, but before, they each had one unique entrée to that dining room, and we really enjoyed those. The Majestic would have more for the teens, but you are right that the two you picked have indoor pools, and that alone is super fun for anyone. I’m sure there will still be plenty of teens available for them to hang out with on these two ships. Alaska typically attracts families in the summer.  

Unless you are trying to get a window suite on the Grand,  I would pick Sapphire just based on ship. But, I would also check port schedules,  and if there is a significant difference in number of ships in the ports, that would definitely sway my decision. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, nini said:

The Sapphire is really popular. We were on the Grand in September and enjoyed the ship. We really .missed not having the "old Skywalker's". 

Decide your priorities in an itinerary.

I was on the Grand in December and was pleasantly surprised at what great shape she is in. Sapphire would be my first choice but would sail on the Grand in a heart beat.

I like that the Sapphire has wider promenade decks. That is why it would be my first choice.