P&O cancellation / Medical questionnaire

Cpot

2 hours ago, MumOfSonNumber1 said:

I phoned P&O after being 'cancelled' and told them I had an 'observed' Covid test taken that day, which was negative, but it made absolutely no difference.  I was told the first question referred to general illnesses not Covid, so I'm afraid your suggestion wouldn't work.

Post #288 shows that P&O can overturn these ridiculous decisions when it suits them, I am not sure how they justify these actions but they are making a rod for their own back. If it were me I would contact P&O again and quote that they can change the computer decision.

45 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Not if you tick NO on the nonsensical form, and wear a mask if you have a slight runny nose

The stupidity of it is that you can have covid tick no on the form and get on the ship whereas you are honest and mention a cough like I can get with my asthma and I would be barred, how on earth can they persist with this?

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

The stupidity of it is that you can have covid tick no on the form and get on the ship whereas you are honest and mention a cough like I can get with my asthma and I would be barred, how on earth can they persist with this?

Agree

Stupidity is the reason it was introduced and  the reason why they persist .

As someone  said  a stupid question deserves a stupid answer .

However the sensible answer is   No, No, No ..........

• Like 2

In the old days, pre covid, does anyone know what happened to people who ticked yes on the pre boarding health questionnaire to having sickness/diarrhoea (or whatever the terminology was at that time) to stop norovirus getting onto the ship.  Were they turned away, quarantined or given a visit to the on ship medical centre.  I just wonder if everyone answered that questionnaire honestly.

2 minutes ago, mrbluesea said:

In the old days, pre covid, does anyone know what happened to people who ticked yes on the pre boarding health questionnaire to having sickness/diarrhoea (or whatever the terminology was at that time) to stop norovirus getting onto the ship.  Were they turned away, quarantined or given a visit to the on ship medical centre.  I just wonder if everyone answered that questionnaire honestly.

I think they stopped using the forms because it was clear that people were not going to fly half way around the globe to tick a box that then cancelled their cruise, and lets face it after spending what could be the best part of a day on a plane eating warmed up food and drinking copious amounts of beer and spirits with the potential for bouncing up and down in turbulence who wouldn't feel a bit sick?😁

16 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

I think they stopped using the forms because it was clear that people were not going to fly half way around the globe to tick a box that then cancelled their cruise, and lets face it after spending what could be the best part of a day on a plane eating warmed up food and drinking copious amounts of beer and spirits with the potential for bouncing up and down in turbulence who wouldn't feel a bit sick?😁

I think our norm was...Don't cough, blow our noses before Check in and tick NO.

3 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I think our norm was...Don't cough, blow our noses before Check in and tick NO.

I think that was the norm, plus the funny walk when you didn't want to risk a fart in case the curry and Guinness was working its way through.

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, mrbluesea said:

They were assessed in the terminal by ship's medical staff and either turned away, allowed to board freely or allowed to board but quarantined n their cabin for a couple of days. The difference is that Norovirus is shortlived.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, mrbluesea said:

Got a vague recollection that on the old P&O Community site, one poster said that they had ticked yes to that questionnaire.  Turned away after being assessed.  Can't remember whether they got either FCC, refund or claimed on insurance, but I think they got some sort of recompense as they were satisfied with outcome.  Well as much as they could be, having had their cruise cancelled.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

All P&O needed to do was once you ticked yes, it should open a box for you to explain the "yes".  So if you have a cough, you can say it's an ongoing condition. 

That's probably too complex for the IT dept to correctly evaluate, which is another good reason for them to drop this unfair practise.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

That's probably too complex for the IT dept to correctly evaluate, which is another good reason for them to drop this unfair practise.

It could be done, I helped develop online forms a few years with more complex responses. It’s a not difficult to develop the workflow to resolve this issue, insurance companies use similar workflow for their online health screening

The question is are P&O and other companies prepared to do it voluntarily or will they be forced to do it via a legal judgement. 

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

It could be done, I helped develop online forms a few years with more complex responses. It’s a not difficult to develop the workflow to resolve this issue, insurance companies use similar workflow for their online health screening

The question is are P&O and other companies prepared to do it voluntarily or will they be forced to do it via a legal judgement. 

Just a thought as I leave...why do all the people who have been refused boarding contact each other, join together, engage a good solicitor'barrister and take va class action out against P&O. It works in America and I am sure it will work here.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Yorkypete said:

Just a thought as I leave...why do all the people who have been refused boarding contact each other, join together, engage a good solicitor'barrister and take va class action out against P&O. It works in America and I am sure it will work here.

Because such a process could take years, and, given the relatively low sums of monies involved, the legal costs would be excessive,  with significant initial costs involved, as no firm would take on the case on a "no win, no fee" basis.

8 hours ago, Yorkypete said:

Class action as it exists in the US doesn’t exist up in the same way in the UK, if you Google Group litigation there are a number of legal firms that explain how this works here.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Yorkypete said:

Irwin Mitchell are often mentioned regards taking class actions over holiday cases.

An individual who has been affected by this could easily take up a case under the small claims track though, as the system is apparently quite user friendly.  It is what we would be doing if we had been cancelled off a holiday without having covid and it was not insurable.  If you can cite a few insurance companies who would not insure such a situation, it would then put the onus on P&O to prove it was insurable.  That is the way DH would be going if it happened to us.  The cost of a cruise is not a small amount and can be very considerable as well as the disappointment and other costs claimable as compensation.  No point rolling over and just taking the loss.

Whilst we all feel quite disturbed that this is happening, it is for the people affected to do something about their individual situation. 

Edited by tring
  • Like 4

On 11/7/2022 at 2:26 PM, happy v said:

They could ditch it altogether. Now we have the vaccines it's not necessary. You have never had to declare flu.

Maybe,

The cynic in me feels that this theatre is being maintained so if the Caribbean and USA ports go belly up over winter P & O can say we take precautions and have protocols.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bill Y said:

Maybe,

The cynic in me feels that this theatre is being maintained so if the Caribbean and USA ports go belly up over winter P & O can say we take precautions and have protocols.

Absolutely. This has far more to do with back-covering on advice from corporate lawyers than actuality. 

Rather like the 'instruction' leaflets accompanying products these days which are 10% instruction and 90% safety warnings, with advice not to put your new 75" OLED television into the dishwasher. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, kevcharben said:

Completed my health declaration today for cruise on Friday.

I will share my answers to the 4 questions

NO NO NO NO,

Copy and paste my answers if you want😷🤧🤒🤕

Its a complete joke

No just 4 correct answers.

If you are confident you do not have COVID, meaning you have tested yourself then I have no problem in answering No to all questions.

The same thing has just happened to me my husband had a water Infection 8 days ago which has cleared up with medication  but because he had a fever one night 8 days ago nothing to do with covid we tested today as well it was negative  I ticked yes  because fever was on the list it popped up in red letters cannot cruise , we was devastated I thought I would ring p & o and explain why I said yes and i thought sense would prevail and they would just say we can change it but no they said the couldn't do anything THE COMPUTER SAID NO .absolutely disgusting of P & O. I'm not letting this go either .the question needs changing 

• Like 1