Tell me this is a "no-brainer".....about to "jump ship" from RC to Carnival

nanseev

Sometimes you want to splurge, sometimes you want to budget.

Loyalty is only as good as long as the product remains in service.  During my lifetime, I have cruised with multiple cruise lines.  Some of them no longer even exist (Chandris, Dolphin, American Hawaii Cruises, Delta Queen). I also never received credit for the cruises I took before computers, the Internet, and online systems.  Loyalty points are nice, but that rarely has an impact on my cruise decisions.

I always say, the most important thing is just to be CRUISING!  Also, variety is the spice of life.

Have a fantastic time on Carnival!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, tinkr2 said:

I think you will have a great time on Panorama. Ive been on Horizon and its a fantastic layout. The lunch choices on Carnival are awesome, Guys Burgers and Blue Iguana. enjoy saving the cash.

Staying in the same age and size of ship the differences between lines are perhaps minimal.  I have only been on older tonnage.  During a recent pandemic, Carnival rocked outdoor dining.  You had four choices poolside.   Steam table hot dogs and burgers are so 1991.  Real walk around promenade decks are more rare on Carnival.    I like breakfast and lunch in the MDR- a no on Carnival- who often has a brunch.    Dancing can be slightly better on RCCL.   Carnival has past guest only discounted cabin pricing.  RCCL has nicer inside cabins, Carnival has ditched tablecloths in the MDR.   Carnival can have vast deck spaces and a better craft beer selection.   

I think you made a wise choice. We only have so many vacation dollars, plus the stress of flights possibly being cancelled etc. 

I think the passenger vibe is much more determined by region than by cruise line. The west coast tends to be a more relaxed crowd. 

• Like 1

Do what is best for your family and wallet. You do not need to be loyal to one particular brand. Carnival is really good too. When it comes to food I give Carnival the edge for the buffet (plus Guys Burgers is awesome and included compared to Johnny Rockets on RC which is extra) and overall desserts (Carnival melting chocolate cake is awesome) but I give Royal Caribbean the edge for MDR food. When it comes to evening entertainment I think Royal Caribbean has higher quality shows but Carnival does a great job too especially with comedians. 

Go for it - you will determine what you like and what is best for you.  Cruise loyalty is #5 on our list of considerations (because of onboard perks).  When we look at a cruises its normally weighted in this order:  1) Dates, 2) Itinerary, 3) Price, 4) Ship, and 5) Cruise Status Perks.  

Edited by Stealthdog
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, nanseev said:

I was ready to book Allure...and then I did a random search for cruises during the week I wanted....and the Carnival Panorama popped up in my search.  After researching, I'm seriously considering the Carnival Panorama.  It's a "new" ship, a larger ship (more like Oasis class), and the price of the cruises is basically identical, but I don't have to pay for airfare with Panorama.  I'm giving up the Caribbean for Mexican Riviera, and giving up the Flowrider, but there's other fun things for the kids....but the biggest reason is that I'm saving around $2,000+ by the time I add in airfare and hotel.

I know you already made your decision, and you did what was best for your situation. I have cruised on Carnival multiple times and I think they offer a good product. But make sure you have realistic expectations for Panorama. Panorama is not even remotely close to an Oasis class ship. Panorama is very similar to Voyager class ships like Navigator. Personally at this point in my life I would pick RCI over Carnival every time, even if it cost significantly more money. But everyone’s financial situation is different and hard to argue with making a decision that saves you over $2,000. 

We've cruised and enjoyed both Allure and Panorama.  The cost and nuisance of flying to Florida or Texas is not a deal breaker for me, but living in California I've been trending towards Panorama, Princess, or NCL.  Yes, I love the Oasis class experience, we're actually on Harmony the 26th of this month, but for February I've booked Panorama.  Navigator's 7 day cruises haven't coincided w/ my school's breaks so haven't been able to try her yet.

The comedy club, the included food choices, and specialty restaurants are wonderful on Panorama.  Also, and this most likely has no bearing for the OP, Carnival was wonderful with our autistic son last July.  The service couldn't have been better, it made a huge difference to our family.  

I really hope that Carnival starts doing some new, longer itineraries when the Costa ship comes over in 2024.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tinkr2 said:

I think you will have a great time on Panorama. Ive been on Horizon and its a fantastic layout. The lunch choices on Carnival are awesome, Guys Burgers and Blue Iguana. enjoy saving the cash.

I was just going to say this! It's great to have so many free options for lunch especially with teenagers. Both  Guys and the Blue Iguana are really good. If theres a line, it moves pretty fast. We moved to Carnival while our DD was a teen because of the great teen programs and we could get two adjoining balconies and she could bring a friend for the same price, if not just a little more, than RCCL. 24 hour soft serve is huge for the kids and being able to grab a great burger or just some hot fried mid day is a plus for them! We saw a boy on the elevator one day holding  Guy's burger. I asked how many of those he'd eaten this cruise. He couldnt remember but said it was his THIRD of the day!  LOL! You'll have a great time! Vacations are always fun!

15 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Loud and rude happens on royal too.  We sailed end of August on Oasis and lots of rude people.  Was the worst large group of people I've met on a royal ship.

And usually the loud and rude crowd are the adults!  I've seen adults act far worse than any of the kids.  

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Bigbob7777 said:

Carnival is great!  Where else can the passengers join in on main event wrestling and boxing?

And on the other side you have RCL that actually schedules these events........ ever been to the "$10 sidewalk sale" they throw on the promenade? LOL

image.png.5e9049e7562cf604b23b71f980d77f49.png

*to be fair, this photo is an actual brawl........... not the $10 sale..... making that clear so as not to offend the sidewalk sale shoppers completely

Edited by NateUpNorth
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, NateUpNorth said:

And on the other side you have RCL that actually schedules these events........ ever been to the "$10 sidewalk sale" they throw on the promenade? LOL

image.png.5e9049e7562cf604b23b71f980d77f49.png

*to be fair, this photo is an actual brawl........... not the $10 sale..... making that clear so as not to offend the sidewalk sale shoppers completely

Lol

My last b2b I finally hit the solo discount and go out of Galveston  ...with the exception next spring.

Airfare figures large in my calculations. Rcl is much cheaper than carnival for me now. Prima coming in and carnival jubilee .. both hundreds more to book at best. 

Unless it's a group or family cruise pocket book wins. Airfare is crazy imo. 

Question: Is there such a thing as a 'BAD' cruise [notwithstanding storms and tragedy and the like].  Point here, we do Carnival and MSC...and love them both.  But we have loyalty benefits with Royal and why we 'usually' choose them 90% of the time.  But for us....IT"S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY.  Cheaper ti is, the MORE cruises we can do.  We find very little difference between the lines [though the ships themselves do make a difference]...maybe give Royal the edge for service and food [but all good, even MSC which has greatest value bang for the buck IOO].  We'd do Celebrity as much as possible if we could afford it [both retired on fixed income etc and hate to pull down savings if can help].  Point here, the way you explain, the Panorama would win hands down for us even though we're diamond with Royal.  

• Like 1

I agree with other posters. Try it and see. 

As you can see from my signature, we've done different lines and ships of different sizes.  We have enjoyed every cruise we've taken.  Which line/ship we choose has much to do with who is going, when and for how much. 

If it is just my husband and I, we have different priorities than if we're  taking the 15 y/o.  For example, she is happier on bigger ships with more "stuff," while my husband and I prefer a smaller ship.  She is more about the stage shows and the thrill seeking stuff, while we want more peace and quiet and really, really good food.  

If we want a quick getaway from a homeport (no airfare), we take a different approach than if we have to fly.  We might go "on the cheap."  However, if it is our 25th wedding anniversary, I am going to care less about the bottom line.  

I have my favorite things about different lines and different ships.  You will, too.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Momto3girlsintheCarolinas said:

I agree with other posters. Try it and see. 

As you can see from my signature, we've done different lines and ships of different sizes.  We have enjoyed every cruise we've taken.  Which line/ship we choose has much to do with who is going, when and for how much. 

If it is just my husband and I, we have different priorities than if we're  taking the 15 y/o.  For example, she is happier on bigger ships with more "stuff," while my husband and I prefer a smaller ship.  She is more about the stage shows and the thrill seeking stuff, while we want more peace and quiet and really, really good food.  

If we want a quick getaway from a homeport (no airfare), we take a different approach than if we have to fly.  We might go "on the cheap."  However, if it is our 25th wedding anniversary, I am going to care less about the bottom line.  

I have my favorite things about different lines and different ships.  You will, too.

Perfectly said, but....check that....well maybe under the right circumstances, never say never.

Edited by BecciBoo

4 hours ago, Stealthdog said:

1) Dates, 2) Itinerary, 3) Price, 4) Ship, and 5) Cruise Status Perks.  

Ewwwww that's challenging...our order is:

1) Dates 2) ship 3) Price together with Perks 4) Who cruises with us and Itinerary is last at 5.  I really don't care much where we go, been there done that, I cruise for Big Blue and the ship.  Since financial savings are pretty important, that necessitated Loyal to Royal booking.  We found a lot of maintenance issues on Carni\

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 1

I almost pulled the trigger on Mardi Gras when she came out, looked interesting, so we might try Panorama, but the lure of perks and ICON has pulled us back in line! LOL  Just looked, Jubilee is sailing from Galveston, that one looks somewhat interesting.

Edited by BecciBoo

14 hours ago, tinkr2 said:

Lots of good things and fun on Carnival.  I'm Diamond on Royal and Platinum on Carnival and I have found the ships/passengers to me more similar than not

• Like 1