Can you request a cruise card if you don't want to use the medallion?

oskidunker

6 minutes ago, VibeGuy said:

Because I literally have an officer’s NFC card, and the steward who has let me in to my cabin has used a card.   The medallions have a service life of about four weeks onboard, and that starts adding up to a lot of ewaste to manage.    

The medallion's bluetooth has a service life of a few weeks due to the battery. The NFC part is powered by the reader and has an indefinite life. If the bluetooth is not working, you can access the room using the medallion in NFC mode at the short range reader.  The medallions from a year ago still read fine on an NFC reader. That part of the medallion is a separate circuit from the powered bluetooth section. See the patent.

But the dead batteries for the passengers does make a lot of waste. Or you can put them on the refrigerator or cut them open to see what is in them. A passenger did a dissection a while back and posted pictures of the insides. Looks a lot like the patent.

6 hours ago, NownZen said:

But the dead batteries for the passengers does make a lot of waste. Or you can put them on the refrigerator or cut them open to see what is in them. A passenger did a dissection a while back and posted pictures of the insides. Looks a lot like the patent.

So, Princess has found a new way to add to its list of things it does to pollute the planet.

BTW, whatever happened to the case where a judge came down hard on the Carnival Corporation for the polluting of the sea that Princess was guilty of?

12 hours ago, Thrak said:

According to this post you likely won't be able to get a cruise card.

I'd not take one person's experience on that. Many have been able to get a cruise card, just ask. If you  can get one, great, if not, so be it. Nothing is perfect. Adapt and survive,eh?😎

On 11/22/2022 at 8:35 PM, mom says said:

Oh, please. They know exactly what you are spending your money on, whether using a card or medallion. They know exactly where you are every time you use your card for any reason. They know every time someone enters or leaves your cabin. And they have state of the art CCTV in all public areas. So they can still track you anywhere you go on the ship any time they want. You are deluding yourself if you think a card makes any difference.

If you have a medallion and fall or jump off the ship they will know where and when it happened.

14 hours ago, VibeGuy said:

The crew access is all with the cards, as well.

10 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

Not sure why you say this when I see much of the staff running around with medallions attached to their uniforms.

10 hours ago, VibeGuy said:

Because I literally have an officer’s NFC card, and the steward who has let me in to my cabin has used a card.   The medallions have a service life of about four weeks onboard, and that starts adding up to a lot of ewaste to manage.    

I'm beginning to understand why there's both. The medallions on the crew allow them to be located (I doubt ewaste is a significant factor here) and the NFC cards allow access to restricted areas and such.

1 hour ago, beg3yrs said:

I'm beginning to understand why there's both. The medallions on the crew allow them to be located (I doubt ewaste is a significant factor here) and the NFC cards allow access to restricted areas and such.

You also want the cabin stewards to use cards to open the cabin doors. There is no need for them to unlock every room as they walk down the hall.

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

FYI:

On the Ruby Princess 19 March 2023 I was not able to get one of the old plastic "credit card" type cruise cards unless I gave up my medallion. This was so even when I told the front desk it did not need to work, I just wanted the card for my collection. I did not try to speak to anyone else, never had the time, but I suspect I could have asked the same question of a manager and gotten the card.

Doug