Ugh! Called for Federal Jury Duty

pamkev

14 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Depends on the timing of the trip relative to the timing of the Jury summons.

Just got the notice yesterday and trip is Jan 11 I have until Dec 16th to ask for postponement only thing when I try to email them with the link they provided to request it doesn't take me anywhere

Just got one a couple of weeks ago but mine was county.  It would have been on the second week of a S2S.  I got a deferral but they moved me and then moved me again without asking.  (Lol, I know they don’t ask when it’s convenient). The second move interferes with another cruise.  So I’ll go the first week and try some crazy statement to not get picked so I can take my cruise the second week.  DH was called recently and didn’t even have to go in so fingers crossed.

Yes I know it’s our civic duty and I wouldn’t mind except it can’t interfere with my cruises. 

OP hoping you have good outcome.  I was so upset and anxious about it I didn’t sleep till I got a deferral. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, pamkev said:

Just got the notice yesterday and trip is Jan 11 I have until Dec 16th to ask for postponement only thing when I try to email them with the link they provided to request it doesn't take me anywhere

Did they provide any other way to contact them? If you clicked on the link to respond, your browser may be blocking it from executing.

13 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

The second move interferes with another cruise.  

Typically, each summons at the county level is treated as a completely separate event, so you may be able to just request a postponement without ever bringing up the first request.

• Like 1

I served federal grand jury here in Buffalo. It was every Thursday for a year but they did give us time off if we requested it but limited to the number who could take off. As long as we had a quorum we were good. But very glad that is over!! Good luck 

I was called for Fed Jury duty years ago when we had a WDW trip planned with our sons.  We had airline tickets, reservations, etc.  I just sent the request to postpone my duty with proof of trip (prob not needed but can't remember as it's been 20 yrs) and they came back and said I didn't have to report I could be called at a later date.  It was a one day a week report for like 4 weeks if I remember correctly. It's never happened again.  I'm glad.  I wasn't looking forward to commuting to Alexandria, VA.  Now that we have metro a couple of miles from our house it would be easier as the court is right near the metro station.

• Like 1

Fortunately for me and the defendant, being a retired LEO I don't get selected, beyond the initial selection process to sit in an actual criminal cases.  I've been summoned for civil cases and never make it past the initial screening.  Guess, I'm a little too opinionated.  

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to serve on a jury, it's my civil obligation. 

What was a real coincidence, the last time I had to go to the courthouse for the initial selection process (Federal Civil Case), just before a booked cruise to the Caribbean, but the timing was Okay, the two companies that were suing each other in court were nationally known sun screen products.  They were sewing over ingredient infringement violations.  I never heard what came out of the case.  I was not selected when asked if I like or use sunscreen products and I told them I hate the stuff. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Fortunately for me and the defendant, being a retired LEO I don't get selected, beyond the initial selection process to sit in an actual criminal cases.  I've been summoned for civil cases and never make it past the initial screening.  Guess, I'm a little too opinionated.  

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to serve on a jury, it's my civil obligation. 

What was a real coincidence, the last time I had to go to the courthouse for the initial selection process (Federal Civil Case), just before a booked cruise to the Caribbean, but the timing was Okay, the two companies that were suing each other in court were nationally known sun screen products.  They were sewing over ingredient infringement violations.  I never heard what came out of the case.  I was not selected when asked if I like or use sunscreen products and I told them I hate the stuff. 

I never make it either.  My BIL was a SS agent and my DH and I both work for the Intel community where we are subject to BI's and polys so we dont' suffer criminal behavior lightly.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Just got one a couple of weeks ago but mine was county.  It would have been on the second week of a S2S.  I got a deferral but they moved me and then moved me again without asking.  (Lol, I know they don’t ask when it’s convenient). The second move interferes with another cruise.  So I’ll go the first week and try some crazy statement to not get picked so I can take my cruise the second week.  DH was called recently and didn’t even have to go in so fingers crossed.

Yes I know it’s our civic duty and I wouldn’t mind except it can’t interfere with my cruises. 

OP hoping you have good outcome.  I was so upset and anxious about it I didn’t sleep till I got a deferral. 

You shouldn't need crazy statements.  Tell them it would be a financial hardship to lose your deposit.  

Emphasize the money portion.  I was called for jury duty once and people were stating their reasons for not being able to serve the length of the trial.  The person ahead of me said he was teaching in a summer program and was denied.  I almost put my hand down because I was also starting summer school but then decided it couldn't hurt to say something. I included that the time was a third of my pay for the next three months (because, as a teacher, I wasn't getting paid during the summer except for that 5 week program).  The judge said, "That sounds like a financial hardship" and dismissed me.  The guy before me was like, "Wait, that's my problem too."  I don't know what happened with him because I was walking out.

You could also try calling again.  Even though they moved you once, they may be able to move you again to a time you can serve.

Please get another deferral.    

I know at least one Supreme Court Justice was selected for a jury.   

My mother once went in with the magazine from the NRA and National Enquirer for reading material, she was selected.  

DH once said during jury selection that he knows that cops lie and won't trust the testimony of one.   They challenged him saying basically that because he was a white guy he trusted the police and was just trying to get out of the jury duty.   DH said to call the DA.    They selected DH and he hung the jury since the only evidence was from the arresting officer.   Then they tried to charge DH for contempt of court.   At that point they finally did call the DA who said, You shouldn't have selected him and he has reasons.    The story ends happily.   DH looked up the defendant years later.  He was up on a three-strikes-you're-out and was scared straight.    He was also amazed that it was a white-guy that believed him and straightened up.   

2 hours ago, orville99 said:

Did they provide any other way to contact them? If you clicked on the link to respond, your browser may be blocking it from executing.

I tried a different browser I have a number to call I will do that tomorrow if they are open if not Monday. I found a place to request a postponement although when I click on it it says not eligible maybe because it's a holiday and they are not open   

2 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

I'm so anxious just like you. I just can't believe it  I'm willing to do my civic duty. I did serve on a country level and liked it just not now. The first report date is Dec 23 I pity the poor people who have Christmas plans and they won't let them out I would be so upset.

3 hours ago, pamkev said:

Just send a short letter addressed to "Clerk of the Court" along with a copy of your trip confirmation and you will be excused or deferred. Most of the time they don't bother with deferrals. DH was called for Federal Jury Duty before a cruise, and he was just excused and has never been called again. 

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, pamkev said:

All you have to tell them is you have a non refundable vacation all ready planned and paid for and they will let you off and throw your name back into the pool for a later date.

• Like 1