Witness to a holiday major disappointment

bobpell

Our flight home from Fort Lauderdale was delayed several times yesterday, Saturday Nov. 26

We sat at the departure gate G3 and when the aircraft finally arrived at 3:30pm,  a frenetic foot race by the arriving passengers ensued. It clicked in that the delayed arrival was full of harried potential cruise passengers that were supposed to get on cruise ships leaving that afternoon. 

We looked at each other and felt so sad for so many that might not get their bags and get to the ships in time

We were so concentrating on our delayed departure (actually several time changes) it wasn't until watching the red faces, 

, the running bodies and the wild looks on most arriving passengers with what was about to transpire. It was so sad to see.

Sobering thoughts

Bob

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bobpell said:

Our flight home from Fort Lauderdale was delayed several times yesterday, Saturday Nov. 26

We sat at the departure gate G3 and when the aircraft finally arrived at 3:30pm,  a frenetic foot race by the arriving passengers ensued. It clicked in that the delayed arrival was full of harried potential cruise passengers that were supposed to get on cruise ships leaving that afternoon. 

We looked at each other and felt so sad for so many that might not get their bags and get to the ships in time

We were so concentrating on our delayed departure (actually several time changes) it wasn't until watching the red faces, 

, the running bodies and the wild looks on most arriving passengers with what was about to transpire. It was so sad to see.

Sobering thoughts

Bob

Agree, it is sad. Many new cruisers aren't aware that most people recommend arriving a day or two early. And then there are those who book their air thru the cruise lines who believe it is safe to go with the arrangements they are offered.

Some of us forget that a cruise, or any big trip, is for many a once in a lifetime experience.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Sea42 said:

Some of us forget that a cruise, or any big trip, is for many a once in a lifetime experience.

It's unfortunate and probably stressful for anyone who has to really scramble to get to the cruise terminal before the ship departs. But in almost every case, the situation could have been avoided using common sense and better planning. 

For those new to cruising, there is plenty of helpful information that is easily accessible on the internet. Ask the travel agent or a trusted friend who has cruised before for advice if the internet is information overload. Have enough time for a Plan B if something does go wrong enroute, particularly if flying to the cruise port. I mean, who hasn't heard about mass flight cancellations and delays in 2022? For a while this year, they were basically a dime a dozen. With all due respect to Woody Hayes, three things can happen to a scheduled flight (on-time, delayed, canceled), and two of them are bad.

Everyone who has ever traveled out of town during a major US holiday -- whether by car, plane, train or bus -- has experienced long lines/wait times, delays and/or cancellations at some point. So everyone should already know those things can and will happen during holiday travel and (hopefully) planned accordingly. IMO, nobody gets a pass on this one. Perhaps those people flying on Saturday instead of a day earlier didn't want to miss the Black Friday sales so they paid the price with major stress the next day.

Finally, rolling the dice and trying to save money on a hotel room rather than flying out a day or 2 earlier doesn't always work out. If the cruise is a once in a lifetime experience, why take chances? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dwc13 said:

Finally, rolling the dice and trying to save money on a hotel room rather than flying out a day or 2 earlier doesn't always work out. If the cruise is a once in a lifetime experience, why take chances? 

Exactly and if going to Europe, best to try and go 2 days ahead - same with Australia.

This year given covid testing requirements, I chose to avoid Europe.  Hoping for the best next year

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dwc13 said:

It's unfortunate and probably stressful for anyone who has to really scramble to get to the cruise terminal before the ship departs. But in almost every case, the situation could have been avoided using common sense and better planning. 

Yes, that's true. I do think back to when I was new to traveling and thank my lucky stars I didn't end up in any vacation ruining situations due to my lack of experience and forethought.

• Like 2

I attribute at least half of these bad stories to careless travel agents who take the novice’s money and offer no sound advice.  I have personally talked to far too many new cruisers who said their agent told them it would be ok.  I was on one of my history trips this weekend, a small group tour of 15 and half were recent early retirees who have never traveled before.  They have no idea which way to turn. There just seems to be a lot of new travelers out there everywhere I go.

• Like 2

Of course there are many novices out there. But don't forget about those who say "my schedule won't allow the extra time off" and post their concerns about missing the ship (as well as their flight home etc etc ... 🙄🤔)

I know everyone here has seen those posts. Probably enough of them to fill a few filing cabinets. 🤯😎

31 minutes ago, Vic The Parrot said:

Of course there are many novices out there. But don't forget about those who say "my schedule won't allow the extra time off" and post their concerns about missing the ship (as well as their flight home etc etc ... 🙄🤔)

I know everyone here has seen those posts. Probably enough of them to fill a few filing cabinets. 🤯😎

That’s me.  I’m working an overnight shift on Jan 3rd.  Flying from ATL to FLL on the 7:30am for a 3pm Rotterdam departure.  So unless someone covers my shift, I have no choice.  

Fingers crossed all goes well.  

Edited by Charlene1985
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Charlene1985 said:

That’s me.  I’m working an overnight shift on Jan 3rd.  Flying from ATL to FLL on the 7:30am for a 3pm Rotterdam departure.  So unless someone covers my shift, I have no choice.  

Well, you're asking for trouble.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Charlene1985 said:

You didn't say where you are flying from, so it is difficult to say how iffy your schedule might be.  But why don't you consider the next time to choose a cruse that allows you to arrive the day before.  Sympathy for your present situation is rather limited.  If you are old enough to travel without your parents, you must utilize some common sense.  .

7 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

You didn't say where you are flying from, so it is difficult to say how iffy your schedule might be.  But why don't you consider the next time to choose a cruse that allows you to arrive the day before.  Sympathy for your present situation is rather limited.  If you are old enough to travel without your parents, you must utilize some common sense.  .

Doesn't it say in the quote you used the poster is flying from Atlanta to Ft Lauderdale?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Charlene1985 said:

I’m working an overnight shift on Jan 3rd.  Flying from ATL to FLL on the 7:30am for a 3pm Rotterdam departure.

We've flown into FLL from ATL the morning of many times....first flight out, non-stop, no problems. Relax. Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Charlene1985 said:

Hope the morning traffic to the airport on 1/3 isn't too bad and your flight from ATL to FLL is uneventful. 

3 hours ago, Sir PMP said:

Well, you're asking for trouble.

Fortunately, rush hour traffic in Atlanta is non-existent and flights are never, ever delayed at Hartsfield, so she should be okay. 

/S

Edited by dwc13
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Tampa Girl said:

Well I booked this cruise a few months ago and my request for time off was originally approved then reversed.  But hey, I’m one of those airline employees who actually shows up to work to make sure everyone else can get to their destinations instead of calling in sick or claiming to be overworked.  

ALso, not looking for sympathy.  Just explaining that sometimes arriving the morning of isn’t by choice or because of cheapness.  Those of us still working are often covering shifts when our employers are short-staffed.  

Obviously I’ll be flying from Atlanta on 3rd if someone takes my shift.

Why the parents comment?  Was that necessary?   In fact, most of your comment was rude.  

Edited by Charlene1985
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, Charlene1985 said:

🤞for you also. And think positive. YOU ARE GOING TO MAKE IT ON TIME. ALL WILL GO WELL.

10 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Ohhhhh, an insider!  That is all of the difference 

a tad snarky. I think the poster was just responding to multiple poster's insinuation that only inexperienced and novice travellers would attempt such a thing. Working at an airport I would imagine they have a good working idea how to make their way around the airport.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, dwc13 said:

Fortunately, rush hour traffic in Atlanta is non-existent and flights are never, ever delayed at Hartsfield,

There is little to no traffic when you have to be at the airport at 5am for a 7am flight. We've done this many times.

First flights of the day are rarely delayed, and if the s%#@ hits the fan, and you act early enough, you could even drive to FLL and still make the ship. ATL to FLL is a no-brainer, with multiple options.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rodndonna said:

a tad snarky. I think the poster was just responding to multiple poster's insinuation that only inexperienced and novice travellers would attempt such a thing. Working at an airport I would imagine they have a good working idea how to make their way around the airport.

That was not my intention.   We have many people here with special knowledge.  Now we know we have someone with the inside scoop on the airports.  I am as happy to have them as I am to have many of our other members who can give added knowledge 

• Thanks 1