Global Entry Renewal Delays are Rediculous

donaldsc

I am now going through my Global Entry renewal process.  I got approved really quickly but scheduling a required interview either in person or on Zoom is ridiculous.  I can't get one for months either on site in Las Vegas or Denver or on a Zoom site.    Luckily they are extending it for 24 months so my old one will work.  What sort of delays are other people seeing.  

DON

14 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

I am now going through my Global Entry renewal process.  I got approved really quickly but scheduling a required interview either in person or on Zoom is ridiculous.  I can't get one for months either on site in Las Vegas or Denver or on a Zoom site.    Luckily they are extending it for 24 months so my old one will work.  What sort of delays are other people seeing.  

DON

I didn't realize that renewal of Global Entry was going to require another interview.

At least they allow Zoom, but... that's not much help if the scheduling is impossible.

😞 

GC

33 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

I didn't realize that renewal of Global Entry was going to require another interview.

At least they allow Zoom, but... that's not much help if the scheduling is impossible.

😞 

GC

It does not always require an interview. I renewed about a year and a half ago and I did not have to interview . I don't know how they decide. They sent the card relatively fast. My guess is my next renewal will require an interview. 

Edited by Charles4515

Because of your posting, Don, I've begun the renewal process early.  Your posting made a difference.  Thanks for the heads-up about renewal delays.

For others in the same situation of needing to renew TSA PreCheck or Global Entry in 2023, I used website: https://secure.login.gov/   to begin my renewal process.

FWIW, Here are the instructions provided on the website for renewing:

How do I renew my Trusted Traveler (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST) membership?
You become eligible to renew your membership 1 year prior to program expiration. If you submit a renewal application before your membership expires, you will be able to continue to use benefits after your membership expiration date. Follow these steps to renew your Trusted Traveler membership:

If you don't have a login.gov account, you will be directed to login.gov to create an account first then you will be prompted to setup your TTP account profile. On the profile page, you will need to associate the account with your PASSID (membership number). See the back of your Trusted Traveler card or your approval letter

From your Dashboard, select the Renew button on your Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST program membership section.

You must declare your citizenship (if you are a US Citizen, you declare "U.S.").

Select the program that you wish to renew. You may select to renew another program for which you are eligible. However, remember that depending on the program you choose, your benefits may change. On the next page, acknowledge the program requirements.

Follow the guidelines provided on the Membership Renewal page.

When you have updated all information in the application, on the Final Review page, click Confirm and Continue in each section. At the bottom of the page, click Save and Continue.

On the Certify page, answer Yes or No to "Do you certify?"

Select Next. The Purchase Summary page will display.

Fees are for application processing and are non-refundable. Check the box under the total application fee to agree and proceed.

Select Pay Now. The online payment page displays.

After payment, you will be returned to your TTP Dashboard.

Edited by OUTinMinnesota
Attempting to re-add the link that I used to begin the renewal process... https://secure.login.gov/
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

It doesn't necessarily.  When my wife and I renewed GE several years ago, she was approved for renewal immediately with no interview.  I had to be interviewed (in person, this was pre-pandemic).   At the interview, I asked the agent about this, and she said it was random. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

It does not always require an interview. I renewed about a year and a half ago and I did not have to interview . I don't know how they decide. They sent the card relatively fast. My guess is my next renewal will require an interview. 

It might not.  When my wife renewed her GE about four years ago, no interview was required.  She just did an early renewal application now, and again was approved without an interview.

See my comment above; it seems to be very random as to who is selected for an interview during the renewal process.

• Like 1

My wife and I both renewed this year and neither of us were required to be interviewed. Our applications were approved within a day or two of submitting them and we received our new cards shortly thereafter.

Although some renewal applicants are required to be interviewed the fact that the government is extending the validity of the the current card by 24 months makes the difficulty of getting a quick interview appointment a complete non issue. 

• Like 1

When we renewed DW, she was approved in a few days and had to get another interview (which we did when we returned from Mexico and got an immediate interview as we went through the normal entry process at ATL.  It took about 20 seconds.  When I got mine renewed it took 9 months to get a response, but they did not require another interview.   No logic to any of it...it is what it is.

Hank

• Like 1

When we renewed, mine could be done on line -- but my wife for some reason had to show up.   Appointments at JFK were months ou (and a pain to get to) so we just winged it and while visiting my daughter in Hartford we "walked in" at BDL ( Hartford Internationa;) -- there was no line and wer were in and out in 15 minutes.  Like so many other government programs it is stupidly run.

5 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

It doesn't necessarily.  When my wife and I renewed GE several years ago, she was approved for renewal immediately with no interview.  I had to be interviewed (in person, this was pre-pandemic).   At the interview, I asked the agent about this, and she said it was random. 

We had the same experience.  DH had to be interviewed but I didn't even though we had the exact same travel history (basically the only changes to our original application). 

The renewal process was quick and painless.

My renewal (in early fall) was approved in about a week and I was able to get a zoom interview without too much hassle. I had to try for an appointment over a couple days without success, then one day I tried and found a number of dates over the next couple weeks.
Scheduling was easy and the zoom interview was quick. IIRC I needed to show my passport, and government issued ID (I used my VA medical card).

1st time I renewed, no interview needed.  2nd time I renewed last year, I had to do the 5 minute interview in person.  They wanted a new photo and fingerprints.  Since I was pro-active and renewed way in advance, I could wait the 2 months for an appointment at SLC.  SLC has a "no walk ins" policy. 

24 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

And now when you arrive back in the U.S. (at least at some airports) they don’t look at your fingerprints — it’s just a scan of your passport and facial recognition. 

If all airports go that route which I believe will happen will there be a reason to have Global Entry?

15 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

If all airports go that route which I believe will happen will there be a reason to have Global Entry?

I should have been clearer. That *was* the Global Entry line. Everyone else was in a snaked line that looked hours long. 

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

Perhaps not if they ever get the picture line moving.  But, we have often been in airports when the regular line (even with picture ID) seems to be very long while we breeze right through GE.  On the other hand, GE is nothing great for those of us who have checked luggage.  We are always among the first to reach the luggage area, but by the time the luggage comes up most other folks have cleared immigration.  But also consider that Global Entry gets you TSA Precheck which has become invaluable at many US airports.  

47 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Perhaps not if they ever get the picture line moving.  But, we have often been in airports when the regular line (even with picture ID) seems to be very long while we breeze right through GE.  On the other hand, GE is nothing great for those of us who have checked luggage.  We are always among the first to reach the luggage area, but by the time the luggage comes up most other folks have cleared immigration.  But also consider that Global Entry gets you TSA Precheck which has become invaluable at many US airports.  

I  usually fly with freinds who do not have GE and we always ended up at the luggage area at the same time. I did GE because it included TSA pre-check and my credit card covered the GE or TSA fee. I have not done any international flights with carry on only yet but In plan to try. 

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Yes, however not standing in the queue, very close to others for much of that time is a nice benefit. Also, when you get to Baggage Claim early, you can position yourself well. Also, if you need to run to the restroom in between, that works well. 

We have loved having Global Entry.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

Yes, however not standing in the queue, very close to others for much of that time is a nice benefit. Also, when you get to Baggage Claim early, you can position yourself well. Also, if you need to run to the restroom in between, that works well. 

We have loved having Global Entry.

As a frequent flyer I have long wondered about folks that push and shove themselves to some kind of "magical" luggage carousel position :).  We generally stand back about 5-10 feet where we can see the luggage as it comes onto the carrousel.  When we spot our pieces it is usually easy to work up to some spot and grab the bag.  I guess some think that if they are up front it will make their luggage show-up faster.  It is the same logic where folks who have Fixed Sitting and a reserved table on a cruise ship will wait in line (sometimes for more than 15 minutes) for the MDR to open!   On some ships we have sat at a nearby bar and entertained ourselves (with a nice cocktail) people watching folks who seem to live for their ability to spend part of their day in lines.  I assume those standing in line at the MDR are the same folks who fight to the front of the luggage carousel and likely join every other line in sight.  Go figure.  They can hang a sign around my neck that says, " I practice queue avoidance."

Hank

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

As a frequent flyer I have long wondered about folks that push and shove themselves to some kind of "magical" luggage carousel position :).  We generally stand back about 5-10 feet where we can see the luggage as it comes onto the carrousel.  When we spot our pieces it is usually easy to work up to some spot and grab the bag. 

I do the same. It is easier to get the bag that way. Sometimes let the bag go around again.