Where to report compromised Credit Cards / Debit Cards wire fraud by (suspected) cabin steward

Robin Hooning

3 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Since the crime didn't occur in their jurisdiction it's doubtful whether or not the local PD would even accept the complaint.

I was an online merchant, 4 venues, 15 years and a trade show merchant for over 30 years.  Most police departments will take a meaningless report if they are not too busy but will not investigate.   The law is basically that since the bank is the one who is at a loss they are the victim, not the credit card holder. The only major game changer is is it is mail fraud which is when it becomes a felony.    The reason the credit card companies want the police report is they want to exclude family or friends from the equation, it is a goat and sheep separator. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I was an online merchant, 4 venues, 15 years and a trade show merchant for over 30 years.  Most police departments will take a meaningless report if they are not too busy but will not investigate.   The law is basically that since the bank is the one who is at a loss they are the victim, not the credit card holder. The only major game changer is is it is mail fraud which is when it becomes a felony.    The reason the credit card companies want the police report is they want to exclude family or friends from the equation, it is a goat and sheep separator. 

And if the police never investigate then no one is excluded. Hopefully the report from the Security Officer will be sufficient but if not the OP will be able to convince the local PD to take it.

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Is blaming the steward and/or the plumber necessary for the police report? The cabin steward is specifically named by the OP in the thread title.

I'll bet if you did a poll, you would find near unanimous responses that each and every cabin steward cruisers have encountered have been wonderful.

Just common sense alone makes your point. Some low level crew - thankful as all hell for the job - is gonna steal CC numbers that will be useless as soon as they are reported stolen.

• Like 2

Just now, Flatbush Flyer said:

Just common sense alone makes your point. Some low level crew - thankful as all hell for the job - is gonna steal CC numbers that will be useless as soon as they are reported stolen.

It is always blame the most defenseless person game.   That person might be fired on an unkind word alone.  😞 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

It’s easier for the OP to blame the hard working crew than to take responsibility for their carelessness. If the wallet had been placed in the safe, who would the OP blame? 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I think the point was victim shaming is still victim shaming regardless of the crime. As for everyone else's comments regarding when and where this could have happened, while that is true the fact remains that the attempted fraud did occur and the OP needs a police report for the credit card company, so at the end of the day it could have been the Professor in the Library with a Candlestick and it doesn't matter.

6 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Is blaming the steward and/or the plumber necessary for the police report? The cabin steward is specifically named by the OP in the thread title.

I'll bet if you did a poll, you would find near unanimous responses that each and every cabin steward cruisers have encountered have been wonderful.

I agree with both of you.  The OP admits to their carelessness.  I think the OP was correct in notifying the ship personnel.   It then becomes appropriate for them to investigate.  

18 hours ago, Robin Hooning said:

The backup wallet had no money, just back up credit cards and debit card so I didn't thought of it as valuable item at that time.

I of course blamed myself for leaving it out there - however, it feels like it's similar argument that sexual assault is caused by how women dresses themselves. Not locking the house door or car door does not justify the robbery. 

Agree I would blame myself as well if I left a credit card out.  This is a crime of opportunity.   Do not see the logic to sexual assault cases, that is a stretch.  Who doesn't lock their car and house these days???  Asking for trouble if you do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pris993 said:

Agree I would blame myself as well if I left a credit card out.  This is a crime of opportunity.   Do not see the logic to sexual assault cases, that is a stretch.  Who doesn't lock their car and house these days???  Asking for trouble if you do.

The intent isn't to compare to sexual assault.  I think post #18 explains it well.   

14 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

This is beside the point. If you left your house unlocked and a burglary occurred, wouldn't you still hold the culprit guilty?  

I would hold myself responsible for no common sense first.

On 12/2/2022 at 9:38 AM, sparks1093 said:

I think the point was victim shaming is still victim shaming regardless of the crime. As for everyone else's comments regarding when and where this could have happened, while that is true the fact remains that the attempted fraud did occur and the OP needs a police report for the credit card company, so at the end of the day it could have been the Professor in the Library with a Candlestick and it doesn't matter.

In my day we took responsibility for our own actions.  Hold the crook accountable and let's    look at what we might do differently to avoid problems. 

1 hour ago, pris993 said:

I would hold myself responsible for no common sense first.

The poster DID hold himself accountable for the oversight.

Or are you trying to say that you REALLY wouldn't call the cops if you accidentally forgot to lock your door when you ran to the store one day and were robbed?

24 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

The poster DID hold himself accountable for the oversight.

Or are you trying to say that you REALLY wouldn't call the cops if you accidentally forgot to lock your door when you ran to the store one day and were robbed?

I object to the victim shaming argument.  Yes, the OP did say in on breath accountable and then in the next breath something else.  I said in another post hold the crook accountable but don't excuse your own actions.

• Like 1

I have had CC compromised several times. Never has the CC been out of my immediate possession or in a safe. Nevertheless, the #s have been stolen and used for purchases by others.  

Just happened to my DH last wk. He has a BofA card that we keep locked up at home and only use to book flights on a particular airline. He hasn’t used the card since Sep of 2021! Yet the # was used to make fraudulent purchases and he was contacted before they went through.

Entirely possible that the staff did NOT steal the CC #s. I wouldn’t accuse them automatically.

• Like 6

On 12/2/2022 at 3:23 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

Consider that ship security can easily trace their online activity given the time frame outlined by the OP 

• Like 1

On 12/2/2022 at 12:23 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

Unfortunately thieves make out on charges made before they are reported stolen.   In this case it sounds like the crook(s) made $1,000.  

I certainly would not accuse anyone without some solid reason.   However, it makes no sense to automatically exclude someone because they have a lower level job.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, pris993 said:

In my day we took responsibility for our own actions.  Hold the crook accountable and let's    look at what we might do differently to avoid problems. 

So, just like the OP, you would say Oops that was a mistake and not do it again.  Sounds good to me.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

So, just like the OP, you would say Oops that was a mistake and not do it again.  Sounds good to me.  

Could the OP as least found out where the money was going?  One simple step could prevent some one from being harassed and losing their job. The cruise lines are ruthless sometimes.   It is always easy to blame.

15 hours ago, pris993 said:

I was raised that way as well. There's a fine between that and victim shaming, though.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Could the OP as least found out where the money was going?  One simple step could prevent some one from being harassed and losing their job. The cruise lines are ruthless sometimes.   It is always easy to blame.

I think the best approach would be to report the loss to ship personnel along, of course, with any pertinent info learned from the bank.  Then, leave it in their hands.   I think we all agree a valid reason should exist before any finger is pointed.  

41 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I think the best approach would be to report the loss to ship personnel along, of course, with any pertinent info learned from the bank.  Then, leave it in their hands.   I think we all agree a valid reason should exist before any finger is pointed.  

I question that valid reason.  I see nothing but breathless drama.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2022 at 7:26 AM, Winky7650 said:

It’s easier for the OP to blame the hard working crew than to take responsibility for their carelessness. If the wallet had been placed in the safe, who would the OP blame? 

Reading the original post the OP said after making a report the Chief Security Officer told them that only plumber and cabin steward entered their room and that he would investigate but expected them to deny. It seems to me the Chief Security Officer is making the insinuation that plumber or cabin steward committed the fraud and the OP was just going along with what they were being told.