Jim_Iain - Solstice LIVE Mexico Riveria B2B - December 3 and 11

Jim_Iain

Re: river cruises, we did our first on on the Duoro in April. We loved it. We have another booked, also with Ama, on the Mekong for early 2024. As TrulyBlonde mentioned, you don't have the flexibility on excursions, which I thought would be a probelm for us, but it wasn't at all. The curated experiences were fabulous, and we did end up with free time options ashore. As long as you were back to the coach in time, you could skip anything you wanted. 

@Jim_Iain, on another note, you might want to consider jumping on a January Azamara cruise. This would grandfather you into the Azamara Circle  loyalty program at the Zenith  reciprocal level before the programs officially sever. 

https://www.azamara.com/loyalty/azamara-circle/member-benefits

Azamara may or may not be for you.. It's certainly not as high-end as other lines, definitely not like Ponant, but we enjoyed it quite a bit when we sailed with them last June. We have discovered that we really enjoy small ship cruising, having done several in the last 13 months.

If you end up hating Azamara, you could always bonk me on the head with a paper towel roll the next time you see me. If you end up liking it, you could flash me one of your awesome smiles. 

Image.png

@MamaFej

You have had some wonderful experiences and that is all that matters. In all honesty, nobody cares if you are middle class, what type of handbag you carry etc. We are all cruising to see the world and that is what we all have in common. Next time on board a ship, strike up a conversation with someone wearing a Rolex or carrying an LV handbag. You would be surprised that many of us never grew up with a silver spoon either. We just worked hard and got lucky 😉

But let me add, most that own those items do not bring them on cruises because they do not want to stand out or get robbed. You never know who you will meet and your experiences are what we want to hear about. 

Edited by TrulyBlonde
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

@MamaFej

You have had some wonderful experiences and that is all that matters. In all honesty, nobody cares if you are middle class, what type of handbag you carry etc. We are all cruising to see the world and that is what we all have in common. Next time on board a ship, strike up a conversation with someone wearing a Rolex or carrying an LV handbag. You would be surprised that many of us never grew up with a silver spoon either. We just worked hard and got lucky 😉

But let me add, most that own those items do not bring them on cruises because they do not want to stand out or get robbed. You never know who you will meet and your experiences are what we want to hear about. 

We met lots of wonderful people, from a variety of places and backgrounds, including a lovely couple in a 1500 square foor suite, decked out to the nines, and full of friendly conversation. I imagine that if I met you on a cruise, I'd say that you are a lovely person, too. If have seen you offer lots of helpful advice here over the years. I was just surprised at how many bargain-hunting middle class folks we also met. I think they were as surprised as we were. I hope I did not offend. It was absolutely not my intention. 

I definitely hear you about the working hard and getting lucky bit. Most people at our income level do not travel as we do. It is a combination of hard work, tough choices,  wise investments, opportunities to make all of those pay off, and sheer, dumb luck that have led us to where we are now. There are billions of people on this planet, and tens of millions in our own country who have to work harder than we for far longer, who will never have the opportunities we have had. We recognize how lucky we are. We don't kid ourselves for half a second that everything we have is due solely to our work ethic and choices. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks -- Found it at: 

I will be spending some quality time reading your live post.  Thanks for the pointer.  

Have you looked at a new cruise luxury  cruise line.... Explora Journeys.  On offshoot of MSC.  It looks very interesting and priced right for now.

Sailed SS many times but having to get dressed up (men wearing at least  sport jacket) on most nights got old for us.  Passengers were as friendly and comfortable as any other cruise line.  Haven't sailed with SS in a few years. I'm sure it's still great customer service and nice cabins

Our son gave me a Fire Stick 4K for Christmas.  I set it up last night with my GL.Inet 750M travel router I have had for years and streamed Amazon Prime shows to my TV in the basement.  Works like a charm.   Plan to use it a lot on my next couple of cruises. 

p.s.  Because of the unknown regarding proximity of power outlets, I used a power bank and got 4 hours of play. 

Edited by DaKahuna
  • Like 1

Jim, 

Not to confuse your options, my daughter and son-in-law took a National Geographic Expedition ship to Antarctica a few years back.  It was run by Lindblad, one of the most revered expedition leaders.  It was a photographic centric trip, with guides giving advice along the way.  Given your love of photography, I think you'd love this king of trip.  After each day, the guests came back to share photos and receive advice from the experts on how to improve.  There was even a lending library of photographic equipment to borrow if desired.  It sounded unbelievable.  I don't think you'd be disappointed.  

I'd also like to add my appreciation for all your Live posts.  I learn so much from you and now have a desire to visit destinations that I never thought I'd consider.  I know the time involved in writing - it's truly a gift to the CC board.

All the best for the New Year - Kathy

2 hours ago, jagoffee said:

Jim, one of my favorite Christmas gifts.  I have increased my odds of using my Fire Stick in my next cruise.

Thank you again for the help.

image.jpg

Good luck there are many videos on YouTube to show how to setup for hotel mode.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, APFBarb said:

Have you looked at a new cruise luxury  cruise line.... Explora Journeys.  On offshoot of MSC.  It looks very interesting and priced right for now.

Sailed SS many times but having to get dressed up (men wearing at least  sport jacket) on most nights got old for us.  Passengers were as friendly and comfortable as any other cruise line.  Haven't sailed with SS in a few years. I'm sure it's still great customer service and nice cabins

Thanks for the input.    We really enjoy dressing for dinner so no big deal.  We always have at least one jacket or Tux with us on most cruises.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Travelbug750 said:

Jim, 

Not to confuse your options, my daughter and son-in-law took a National Geographic Expedition ship to Antarctica a few years back.  It was run by Lindblad, one of the most revered expedition leaders.  It was a photographic centric trip, with guides giving advice along the way.  Given your love of photography, I think you'd love this king of trip.  After each day, the guests came back to share photos and receive advice from the experts on how to improve.  There was even a lending library of photographic equipment to borrow if desired.  It sounded unbelievable.  I don't think you'd be disappointed.  

I'd also like to add my appreciation for all your Live posts.  I learn so much from you and now have a desire to visit destinations that I never thought I'd consider.  I know the time involved in writing - it's truly a gift to the CC board.

All the best for the New Year - Kathy

Thank... I've come to understand the difference of a Expedition and Explorer cruise and think it would be of interest.   I do indeed love photography and also exploring both on my own as well as well executed tours.  

I was mostly concerned about Winging "Old People" that are usually younger than me, or those choosing to go on an excursions whey they don't meet the minimum suggested requirements of mobility or exertion.    I don't mean to be disparaging but have been on a couple cruises where a passenger would be complaining about everything from start to finish. 

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I was mostly concerned about Winging "Old People" that are usually younger than me, or those choosing to go on an excursions whey they don't meet the minimum suggested requirements of mobility or exertion.    I don't mean to be disparaging but have been on a couple cruises where a passenger would be complaining about everything from start to finish. 

Haven't we all?

On 12/15/2022 at 9:51 AM, Jim_Iain said:

Silent disco in Retreat last night

Thank you for your nice live post, Jim. I'm sorry I didn't follow along while it was live. After a really disappointing first time on Oceania over Thanksgiving, I enjoyed a trip visiting friends in Colombia in early December and just generally felt I needed a break from CC after the awful time on Oceania. The whole thing made me a bit sick of cruising for a bit, unfortunately. Hopefully you got all the info you needed before departing.

Your post reminded me of many favorites from the B2B I did with my Mom on Solstice in October, which was a special trip for the two of us to celebrate making it through some health challenges. We were alike right down to the details of SS moving to RS - I was just next door to where you were, in 1116. My mom had a cabin down the hall and had Pramod as her stateroom attendant for the two weeks, so I know exactly what you enjoyed in his service. It sounds like the butlers have fortunately changed out as the senior butler (Allain) had been extended and extended like Singh.

I had a bit of a dud stateroom attendant (Darwin) who told me he didn't have enough hand towels for the sinks in the RS!

Singh was a highlight of our cruise. The bartender who is in the second part of the above video was also a favorite of ours to chat with - I think she was working in the Ensemble, where we didn't spend much time - but she would come in to Michael's Club late at night to charge the LED table lights and the three (or four of us, with Singh) would talk. Also really glad to see you and Iain had a good time Murano - we actually changed our reservations and ate there 6 nights the second week after lackluster food and service in Luminae and no followup from Bruno, the Maitre d who I am sure has changed over by now. Ljupcho (from Macedonia, I believe) was our amazing waiter each night in Murano instead and we had a fabulous time. Each week we left with new friends from all over. 

So glad you both also had a nice time on Solstice - I toy with the idea of going back this spring sometime but know many of the crew we knew and loved will have headed home. 

8 hours ago, sbcs5390 said:

Thank you for your nice live post, Jim. I'm sorry I didn't follow along while it was live. After a really disappointing first time on Oceania over Thanksgiving, I enjoyed a trip visiting friends in Colombia in early December and just generally felt I needed a break from CC after the awful time on Oceania. The whole thing made me a bit sick of cruising for a bit, unfortunately. Hopefully you got all the info you needed before departing.

Your post reminded me of many favorites from the B2B I did with my Mom on Solstice in October, which was a special trip for the two of us to celebrate making it through some health challenges. We were alike right down to the details of SS moving to RS - I was just next door to where you were, in 1116. My mom had a cabin down the hall and had Pramod as her stateroom attendant for the two weeks, so I know exactly what you enjoyed in his service. It sounds like the butlers have fortunately changed out as the senior butler (Allain) had been extended and extended like Singh.

I had a bit of a dud stateroom attendant (Darwin) who told me he didn't have enough hand towels for the sinks in the RS!

Singh was a highlight of our cruise. The bartender who is in the second part of the above video was also a favorite of ours to chat with - I think she was working in the Ensemble, where we didn't spend much time - but she would come in to Michael's Club late at night to charge the LED table lights and the three (or four of us, with Singh) would talk. Also really glad to see you and Iain had a good time Murano - we actually changed our reservations and ate there 6 nights the second week after lackluster food and service in Luminae and no followup from Bruno, the Maitre d who I am sure has changed over by now. Ljupcho (from Macedonia, I believe) was our amazing waiter each night in Murano instead and we had a fabulous time. Each week we left with new friends from all over. 

So glad you both also had a nice time on Solstice - I toy with the idea of going back this spring sometime but know many of the crew we knew and loved will have headed home. 

Good hearing from you.  Have to agree Pramod was a really good Stateroom attendant.

Surprised to hear of your experience on Oceania I've only hear good things about them.

We were on the first cruise with you and spent the next 5 days in LA with family.   We have been to these places a few times but had a great time.  Would have liked to connect with you but our only connection was at check-in.  We were right behind you.  As we do not book suite class, that is probably why we did no see you again.  Perhaps we can meet up on the Apex TA  in April but won't be in suite on this cruise either. 

We did a cruise out of Ensenada ending in Seattle a few years back with Celebrity.  Checked in at the Hotel in San Diego.  A bit chaotic but as we were Elite at the time,  were able to get out on a early bus.  Did not get lost and took about 2 hours.  Got on ship and ended up in San Diego the next day.  

Happy holidays and a healthy New Year.  

On 12/15/2022 at 5:20 PM, abbydancer said:

If I want a west coast get away, with, as you say, little or no air travel, I'm pretty much on Princess which, from October-April has a few ships in LA.  I too wish there were more choices.

We are doing Princess Mexican Riviera  out of San Francisco end of January for that very reason. We live in Bay Area and it will be nice not to fly or get a hotel. Haven’t been on a Princess ship in 50 years so this will be interesting as we’ve just been doing Celebrity.

1 hour ago, gfkcruiser said:

We were on the first cruise with you and spent the next 5 days in LA with family.   We have been to these places a few times but had a great time.  Would have liked to connect with you but our only connection was at check-in.  We were right behind you.  As we do not book suite class, that is probably why we did no see you again.  Perhaps we can meet up on the Apex TA  in April but won't be in suite on this cruise either. 

We did a cruise out of Ensenada ending in Seattle a few years back with Celebrity.  Checked in at the Hotel in San Diego.  A bit chaotic but as we were Elite at the time,  were able to get out on a early bus.  Did not get lost and took about 2 hours.  Got on ship and ended up in San Diego the next day.  

Happy holidays and a healthy New Year.  

I remember meeting you in the Security Line and was sure we would bump into each other again. 

Hope to meet you on the TA.     On most days while at sea we are usually out walking the track between about 10:30 - 1:30.     I love the two deck walking / jogging track on E-Class ships.   With so many sea days should be easy to spot.  

32 minutes ago, realnice46 said:

We are doing Princess Mexican Riviera  out of San Francisco end of January for that very reason. We live in Bay Area and it will be nice not to fly or get a hotel. Haven’t been on a Princess ship in 50 years so this will be interesting as we’ve just been doing Celebrity.

That should be so nice.   We once did an Alaska RT out of San Francisco -  It was so nice not to fly to a cruise. 

We have friends that travel Princess quite a bit and say they especially like it for Alaska Cruises.  They have lots of infrastructure in Alaska that other cruise lines don't come close to.

12 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

That should be so nice.   We once did an Alaska RT out of San Francisco -  It was so nice not to fly to a cruise. 

We have friends that travel Princess quite a bit and say they especially like it for Alaska Cruises.  They have lots of infrastructure in Alaska that other cruise lines don't come close to.

When we decided my moms should take us on an Alaska cruise we chose Princess even though she’d like X better.   She was only going once so itinerary was most important consideration. 

On 11/30/2022 at 7:51 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Seven Seas is on the top of Iain's list and we will have to compare with Ponant.  

What i really want to do is a sailing to Africa or South Africa.   Would really love to do a Safari as a side trip.

Pick the Western Africa trip carefully!  Many places aren’t quite up to tourism yet, but they’re getting there.  Also timing of your YF vax, now a forever vax, May matter.  Waivers are not accepted for those coming from YF areas even if that area would have accepted to waiver!  Northbound is easier.   Some still are having COVId issues too. 

On the east coast there are lots of places to do single overnights from the ships but time of year matters for safaris pre or post cruise.  ——  have fun! 

On 12/3/2022 at 11:06 PM, rotoal said:

The TSA issues the Global Entry card and they are the ones requiring Real ID, I wonder if he had a new person at security, someone who didn't know any better.

I always show my Global Entry card when going through airport security.   The only place I have had no luck with using my Global Entry instead of my non-Real ID driver's license is in Pennsylvania grocery stores when buying beer or wine.   They only accept a driver's license.

I don't yet have a Real ID license because Pennsylvania charges $30 extra for the enhanced license, not sure if every other state allows people to still renew their licenses without requiring Real ID.

There is also at least one bank in PA that won’t accept a military ID as a real I’d!  Reason, it doesn’t have an expiration date!!  Like you, I’m not paying $30 extra for a driver’s license when both a passport or a military id are valid verification to get a drivers license real ID.  Said perhaps better both a real ids in their own right to verify you for a drivers license! 

On 12/4/2022 at 5:16 PM, cruzzzinma said:

I think it is bigger. We were in 2130 for the first leg of a back to back in September. Recommend you ask for extra towels to keep the shower from flooding. No matter what we did we always had some overflow.

That’s not unique to the sky suites!  I think the soltice class did the worst drainage.  Some have some drainage around where the showers would be, but even those let water creep.  Get in heavy weather and you think you are wading in a koi pond!  

Enjoyed following your review! We enjoy learning about the various ports that we haven’t visited. Since you are exploring different cruise lines, will share our perspective. We’ve sailed Celebrity, Princess and Azamara but have decided that our favorites are the sailing ships on Windstar. We enjoy the unique stops, being able to visit the bridge most anytime while sailing, the relaxed atmosphere and the personal service among many other things. We don’t miss shows or crowds. Once when looking at the evening menu posted in the morning the head chef stopped by. He asked my husband what he would like for dinner and he replied “lamb chops”. He said he would have them for him for dinner and he did! 
Cynde