Specialty restaurants

MarkWiltonM

We just finished our first Oceania cruise, on Sirena, and enjoyed Red Ginger and the Grand Dining Room but were disappointed by Tuscan Grill. We will be on Riviera in March and I'm wondering if Toscana and Polo Grill are generally better than Tuscan Grill, which combines menu items from both of those. What about Jacques? Are these all worth going to? Because when we were at Tuscan Grill we were sorry we missed the main dining room that evening.

36 minutes ago, MarkWiltonM said:

We just finished our first Oceania cruise, on Sirena, and enjoyed Red Ginger and the Grand Dining Room but were disappointed by Tuscan Grill. We will be on Riviera in March and I'm wondering if Toscana and Polo Grill are generally better than Tuscan Grill, which combines menu items from both of those. What about Jacques? Are these all worth going to? Because when we were at Tuscan Grill we were sorry we missed the main dining room that evening.

We weren't impressed by the Tuscan Grill but we loved Jacques. Jacques was my favorite and Red Ginger was my husbands.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, MarkWiltonM said:

Tuscan Grill is our least favourite of all Speciality restaurants for both atmosphere and dining choices. IMO Jacques is first then, Red Ginger close behind onboard Riviera (or Marina).  Toscana and Polo are also much better than the merged Tuscan Grill.  The Terrace Café on all ships is a nice alternative especially when sitting outside on the terrace/deck area (grilled lobster tails is a dinner favourite).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MarkWiltonM said:

IMHO Jacques is really "the finest cuisine at sea". Polo and Toscana are also excellent on Riviera and Marina. Sorry you were disappointed by Tuscan Grill, we have never experienced it as we have never travelled on the Sirena or her sister ships.

Enjoy your cruise on the Riviera in March!

• Thanks 1

Was on the Sirena this past month for the first time. Tuscan Steak had issues. It’s hard to discuss the food quality side, because we all don’t know the supply issues currently. Much more grisly tough steak than normal in the past. Overcooked steak, and seafood, was the biggest complaint we normally heard.

Our ship was completely full. There seemed to be a glitch in the reservation system for Tuscan Steak. The hotel manager even came around and apologized one evening on the very poor service. Seems the system was allowing them to over book time slots. This meant every table was full , particularly early times, without the staff to handle it. I believe ours was the first full ship and we   brought out the glitches! I don’t believe it was intentional, but getting extra reservations after that was more difficult.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Tuscan Grill and Toscana are not my favorite restaurants.  Love Polo, Jacques, and Red Ginger.  On Marina or Riviera, they share kitchen for Polo and Toscana.  When we can’t get a reservation in Polo, we eat in Toscana and order off Polo menu.

Very interesting... we never thought of that...

We love the same three restaurants, but had such a disappointing meal during our one time at Toscana that we never went back.  IF we were having trouble figuring out where we would want to eat some evening and couldn't think of anything, we might give it another chance.  However, that is certainly not the case, especially as one important benefit of having a suite is the ability to "order in" from a Specialty, if it's booked full or if we are just exhausted after a busy day ashore. 😉

This thread is making me hungry......

GC

3 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Tuscan Grill and Toscana are not my favorite restaurants.  Love Polo, Jacques, and Red Ginger.  On Marina or Riviera, they share kitchen for Polo and Toscana.  When we can’t get a reservation in Polo, we eat in Toscana and order off Polo menu.

Have you ever had kickback on this? Do you just ask for a Polo menu and they comply. I realize this is an option in Privee, but never heard of it in each individual restaurant. If that's the case I might start ordering from Toscana when I'm in Polo. Can you mix and match?

20 hours ago, MarkWiltonM said:

We just finished our first Oceania cruise, on Sirena, and enjoyed Red Ginger and the Grand Dining Room but were disappointed by Tuscan Grill. ... Because when we were at Tuscan Grill we were sorry we missed the main dining room that evening.

Food issues are so subjective. Our recent experience is contrary to yours.

We just finished our cruise on Sirena (11/18-28/22) and we thoroughly enjoyed our 2 evenings at Tuscan Grill. My wife doesn't like Asian food so when we boarded, we added a 2nd evening at Tuscan Grill and cancelled our evening at Red Ginger. I will say the service the 1st time (Day 1) was a bit slow, but improved for our 2nd time (Day 8).

My wife and I have spent 10 days each on Riviera (12/21) and Sirena (11/22) and are GLAD we have NEVER eaten at the GDR. We much prefer the Terrace Cafe and eating under the stars in the evening. And I prefer Waves for breakfast, enjoying the wind and sights on the pool deck looking over the starboard side.

Of course, people have to keep in mind that only Sirena has Tuscan Grill. And none of the smaller R-class ships has Jacques, as only the larger O-class ships have the 4 specialty restaurants.

17 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Was on the Sirena this past month for the first time. ... Our ship was completely full....

Was this the 11/18-28/22 cruise? When I asked at the Reception Desk and she pulled up the data on her computer late in the cruise about the exact number of passengers, I was told 610. We "lost" the one at Puerto Plaza on the way down. Cruise certainly didn't seem "full" to me except when all the walkers and motorized scooters were clogging the Terrace Cafe at lunch or in the evenings.

Edited by MEFIowa
Added a clarifying comment

2 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

Was this the 11/18-28/22 cruise? When I asked at the Reception Desk and she pulled up the data on her computer late in the cruise about the exact number of passengers, I was told 610. We "lost" the one at Puerto Plaza on the way down. Cruise certainly didn't seem "full" to me except when all the walkers and motorized scooters were clogging the Terrace Cafe at lunch or in the evenings.

No the 10/18 cruise Bilboa-Barcelona.

Another HUGE point. Your 11/18 cruise was in the Carribe. Just maybe Carribe cruises are significantly different than late October cruises in the Atlantic Ocean. There was no sitting outside under the stars in 45 degree F weather with a 20+ mph cross wind. For several days the terrace area was completely closed all day. A lot of cruisers never get to see that outside seating area on their cruise.

Thank God for the delightful GDR! A place were the food is served to the table without wandering around dodging other people. A place were you are taken to your table without having to wander around looking for one. Just as importantly, as demonstrated on our cruise, a place where people that can barely walk by themselves are not spilling their soup on others while trying to get to their table. 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, JeffElizabeth said:

Exactly! Jacques is wasted on us. We prefer the others.  

If you choose carefully there  it can be nice

DH does not eat much meat but he will go to Polo  with me  LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Agree that food is SO subjective. On the Riviera in June 2022, we enjoyed all of them.  However, one of us had our only real "miss" in Jacques when a request for medium rare prime rib was served well done and tough (it was swapped for something else). Everything else there was fine (I had the dover sole). We thoroughly enjoyed Red Giner (2x!), Toscana and Polo.

An aside - We were just on a MX Riviera cruise last week on HAL with a bunch of friends, and my wife and I agreed that Oceania's MDR FAR exceeded HAL's in quality and service.

Edited by DENIE
Grammar
  • Like 2

Just off Marina.  We ate at all 4 specialty restaurants.  Twice at Jacques and Red Ginger.  Polo was not nearly as good as we remembered.  In fact, we cancelled our second reservation at Polo. We also met other people who didn’t like Polo. Toscana was ok. Service was extremely slow.  Jacques and Red Ginger were excellent.  

11 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Just off Marina.  We ate at all 4 specialty restaurants.  Twice at Jacques and Red Ginger.  Polo was not nearly as good as we remembered.  In fact, we cancelled our second reservation at Polo. We also met other people who didn’t like Polo. Toscana was ok. Service was extremely slow.  Jacques and Red Ginger were excellent.  

PG has always been our least favorite restaurant. As it, it could never compete with the other steak/chop houses in our area.

Slow service is subjective. If your dining experience took between 1.5-2 hours, service was as planned. Unless at a large table with a large group, if it takes over 2 hours then it is running slower than normal. Oceania thankfully doesn’t subscribe to the American regime of “ Flip that Table” which some prefer.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

PG has always been our least favorite restaurant. As it, it could never compete with the other steak/chop houses in our area.

Slow service is subjective. If your dining experience took between 1.5-2 hours, service was as planned. Unless at a large table with a large group, if it takes over 2 hours then it is running slower than normal. Oceania thankfully doesn’t subscribe to the American regime of “ Flip that Table” which some prefer.

And what's up with those tiny baked potatoes?

• Haha 2

That picture made me giggle! Just a question, it’s been years since we have been on an Oceania cruise, but wanted to know if you book a ocean view room, are you not able to make reservations at the specialty restaurants until you board? And If so are there spaces available to make at least 2 reservations per restaurant ( toscana and polo since we are looking at the insignia) . We used to book the concierge level balcony , but i don’t really want to pay for a balcony, but at same time I want to make sure we can get at least 3-4 dinners  (11 day cruise) in a specialty rest. 

thanks in advance 

Edited by bobolz

13 minutes ago, bobolz said:

That picture made me giggle! Just a question, it’s been years since we have been on an Oceania cruise, but wanted to know if you book a ocean view room, are you not able to make reservations at the specialty restaurants until you board? And If so are there spaces available to make at least 2 reservations per restaurant ( toscana and polo since we are looking at the insignia) . We used to book the concierge level balcony , but i don’t really want to pay for a balcony, but at same time I want to make sure we can get at least 3-4 dinners  (11 day cruise) in a specialty rest. 

thanks in advance 

All categories may make specialty reservations in advance.  Go online to O, login to your account, find your cruise booking, and go into "manage my booking", Dining.  You will find how many advance reservations per restaurant you are allowed for your length of cruise, and the date on which your booking window opens.  The same info should be noted in your O Guest Statement.  Inquires for more dining reservations may be made at the Dining Reservations Desk onboard.  As I recall, O's website has a FAQ section that may help with some of your questions.  Enjoy your cruise.

25 minutes ago, bobolz said:

thanks in advance 

You can book tables in advance, but are limited in number according to cabin category.  These are the only guaranteed reservations.  You can ask for additional reservations on board, space available.

Here's the breakdown of the guaranteed reservation by ship and category:

Guests are permitted to make the following reservations in our specialty restaurants - which vary by ship, category and length of cruise: 

Marina and Riviera 
Owner’s Suite, Vista Suite and Oceania Suite 
Cruises 7 days or less: 1 reservation at each restaurant 
Cruises 8-17 days: 2 reservations at each restaurant 
Cruises 18 days or more: 3 reservations at each restaurant 

Penthouse Suite 
Cruises 17 days or less: 1 reservations at each restaurant 
Cruises 18 days or more: 2 reservations at each restaurant 

Concierge Level Veranda, Veranda, Ocean View and Inside Stateroom 
All cruises: 1 reservations at each restaurant 

Insignia, Nautica, Regatta and Sirena 
Concierge Level Veranda and above 
Cruises 7 days or less: 1 reservation at each restaurant 
Cruises 8-17 days: 2 reservations at each restaurant 
Cruises 18 days or more: 3 reservations at each restaurant 

All other categories 
Cruises 17 days or less: 1 reservations at each restaurant 
Cruises 18 days or more: 2 reservations at each restaurant 

There are different booking windows depending on the cabin level. If you book an Ocean view, you will have fewer options when you go to book, as the higher categories will have had the first shot.  Here are the windows by category.

Specialty restaurant reservations may be made in advance in the Booked Cruises section of My Account on our website, or by phone, according to the schedule below, and may be changed up until 7 days prior to sailing. Bookings must be paid in full prior to making dining reservations. Reservations may also be made on board. Guests with priority embarkation privileges (Concierge and above) will have Priority Reservations from 11:00 am until 1:00 pm in Polo Grill. Guests in other staterooms can make their specialty restaurant reservations from 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm.  

• Owner’s Suite, Vista Suite and Oceania Suite 
    Advance reservations may be made on the date final payment is due and has been received until 7 days prior to sailing, which varies between 90 and 150 days, depending on length of sailing. 
  • Penthouse Suite 
    Reservations may be made 75-7 days prior to sailing, if the booking is paid in full.
  • Concierge Level Veranda 
    Reservations may be made 60-7 days prior to sailing, if the booking is paid in full. 

All Other Categories 
Reservations may be made 45-7 days prior to sailing, if the booking is paid in full. 

Edited by 1985rz1

Thanks everyone. I have not booked yet, but  since I had only booked the concierge level in the past and knew I could book earlier than the lower level rooms, I did not remember what the restaurant reservation limitations were. Thanks 1985 for the detail 

Relax.  We have always been able to get extra reservations.  People change dates or cancel reservations. Each day, you can check with a reservation person to see what’s available.  On our December Marina cruise, we had no problem getting reservations.