Waitlist for cruise. Chances of getting cabin on the ship?

World Gallery

I found two cruises (listed below) I was interested in and both are "waitlist" only. I didn't realize this until I started the booking process and had to select a cabin (all sold out).  The cruise was still being listed even though there was no availibility at all.   I have never heard of this before, being waitlisted with the option of being put on the priority list to "skip the line" if I pay the deposit.  I am very interested in the cruises below.  My question, what are the chances of being cleared with a spot?  I was told I was # 60 in line without a deposit.  I am not sure if I should waitlist or move on and find something else.  Curious as to why the cruise line would even keep a waitlist with 50 plus people.  Maybe there is something about their process I do not understand.  Any insights into the waitlist process? 

18 Days Transatlantic & Repositioning

Oceania Cruises • Vista

Southampton, Le Havre, Saint Malo, Torbay, Cork, Belfast, Dublin, Killybegs, St. John's/Newfoundland, Saint-Pierre, Saint John/New Brunswick, Bar Harbor, Boston, Newport/Rhode Island, New York City

1 departure dates: Aug 30 2023 – Sept 17

12 Days Transatlantic & Repositioning

Oceania Cruises • Vista
Southampton, Edinburgh/Newhaven, Kirkwall, Stornoway, Greenock, Belfast, Liverpool, Dublin, Holyhead, Waterford/Ireland, Portland/England, Southampton
1 departure dates: Aug 18 2023

Did you pay a refundable deposit? Have your TA ask what your position is in the waitlist if you pay a deposit. I will tell you that the Vista is a very popular new ship.

Others will tell you that on average about 2/3 of reservations will cancel prior to the final payment date. You will have a much better idea of where you stand after the final payment date.
Enjoy your cruise!

If you really want  to do the cruise pay the deposit  then see where you are on the list  after final payment

but have a plan B  in your pocket  in case you do not clear the list

Many people love Transatlantic cruises  & the Vista  as mentioned is new so everyone wants on the new ship 😉

3 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

If you really want  to do the cruise pay the deposit  then see where you are on the list  after final payment

but have a plan B  in your pocket  in case you do not clear the list

Many people love Transatlantic cruises  & the Vista  as mentioned is new so everyone wants on the new ship 😉

Even I, who really don't see the lure of a transatlantic, would choose one on Vista if someone had a gun to my head!  [A dear friend is embarking on Queen Mary tomorrow – the onboard activities sound like fun, maybe, but the dress code and the 3-class system are fatal flaws that Oceania avoids.]

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Even I, who really don't see the lure of a transatlantic, would choose one on Vista if someone had a gun to my head!  [A dear friend is embarking on Queen Mary tomorrow – the onboard activities sound like fun, maybe, but the dress code and the 3-class system are fatal flaws that Oceania avoids.]

I love Transatlantics - but after a short trip on QM, I would rather do it on O. QM has, as you say fatal flaws.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Having sailed a transatlantic on the Queen Mary in steerage I think there are two points to consider.  First, even in Britannia class, as a form of transportation, she is far more comfortable and has better food and amenities than any business class or first-class airline seat at a comparable price and without any jetlag. 

Second, the dress code can be largely sidestepped by eating in the buffet or using room service in the evening. 

As much as I like O's much more relaxed dress code, with a sports coat I was able to function pretty well aside from formal nights when going to and from the buffet I might catch a stink eye from a penguin or two.  

10 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

Did you pay a refundable deposit? Have your TA ask what your position is in the waitlist if you pay a deposit. I will tell you that the Vista is a very popular new ship.

Others will tell you that on average about 2/3 of reservations will cancel prior to the final payment date. You will have a much better idea of where you stand after the final payment date.
Enjoy your cruise!

I’m pretty sure all deposits on Oceania are refundable up until a month before final payment.  And then it’s $250 per person until final. 

3 hours ago, ORV said:

I’m pretty sure all deposits on Oceania are refundable up until a month before final payment.  And then it’s $250 per person until final. 

Of course, but others might not be aware that deposits are refundable. Hence the specificity of my response.

The 18 day Transatlantic has a robust roll call including the experiences of many of us who waitlisted for the cruise and cleared the waitlist successfully. Nobody really understands how the waitlist system works. I think I was number 40-50 in all the categories I selected to be waitlisted on when I cleared. I recommend joining the waitlist and see what happens as we get closer to final payment. 

4 hours ago, ORV said:

ORV;

I believe if one has not cleared waitlist by cruise final payment , they get all of their deposit back without penalty.

• Like 1

My brother invited me on the Vista Panama Canal itinerary for 2023, and when he went to book he found that everything was waitlisted. So he paid the deposit and my booking showed up as waitlisted anywhere from 7 to 32, depending on cabin category. He said not to worry as many people change their minds. (And he'd already been un-waitlisted for the cabin category he wanted on that cruise.)

That was late summer. By early November, I was off the waitlist and now have a solid booking for the cruise.

• Like 1

Vista is sold out until December 2023.  I booked the Transatlantic the day booking opened, It was sold out by day 3.

Nevertheless, I have been seeing people post they have cleared the waiting list at least once a week on these boards.  From what I have read on these boards over the last ten years is the suggestion that Oceania moves those with deposits up the waiting list before those who do not have a deposit down.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, GICNJC said:

From what I have read on these boards over the last ten years is the suggestion that Oceania moves those with deposits up the waiting list before those who do not have a deposit down.

As well they should. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, GICNJC said:

Vista is sold out until December 2023.  I booked the Transatlantic the day booking opened, It was sold out by day 3.

Nevertheless, I have been seeing people post they have cleared the waiting list at least once a week on these boards.  From what I have read on these boards over the last ten years is the suggestion that Oceania moves those with deposits up the waiting list before those who do not have a deposit down.

While many cruises are fully booked, it is not accurate to say Vista is sold out until December of 2023. There are cruises on Vista showing immediate availability in 2023, especially during the summer in the Med. Of course that may be because folks do not believe she will be ready on time.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2022 at 6:49 PM, World Gallery said:

I found two cruises (listed below) I was interested in and both are "waitlist" only. I didn't realize this until I started the booking process and had to select a cabin (all sold out).  The cruise was still being listed even though there was no availibility at all.   I have never heard of this before, being waitlisted with the option of being put on the priority list to "skip the line" if I pay the deposit.  I am very interested in the cruises below.  My question, what are the chances of being cleared with a spot?  I was told I was # 60 in line without a deposit.  I am not sure if I should waitlist or move on and find something else.  Curious as to why the cruise line would even keep a waitlist with 50 plus people.  Maybe there is something about their process I do not understand.  Any insights into the waitlist process? 

18 Days Transatlantic & Repositioning

Oceania Cruises • Vista

Did you decide to get on the waitlist for this cruise?

10 hours ago, edgee said:

While many cruises are fully booked, it is not accurate to say Vista is sold out until December of 2023. There are cruises on Vista showing immediate availability in 2023, especially during the summer in the Med. Of course that may be because folks do not believe she will be ready on time.

This may be true, however it maybe because full payment is due.  Lots of cruisers book and then do not go forward when the full payment is due.  However, those waiting, who have not put down a deposit, will pay the going price, which is higher due to Oceania increasing prices every 3 to 4 months.

The first four Vista cruises were cancelled due to construction delays.  These boards are full of issues with first sailings of new ships, with construction continuing while they cruise.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GICNJC said:

This may be true, however it maybe because full payment is due.  Lots of cruisers book and then do not go forward when the full payment is due.  However, those waiting, who have not put down a deposit, will pay the going price, which is higher due to Oceania increasing prices every 3 to 4 months.

To clarify that, if you're on the waitlist and have paid a deposit, you will also pay the current price at the time you are cleared off the waitlist. As others have said the benefit of paying the deposit is that you will move up the list.

On 12/3/2022 at 8:55 AM, ORV said:

Not any longer. Just booked for April 2023 and already in penalty if cancelled.

9 minutes ago, caviargal said:

Let’s not get apples and oranges confused. If one is booked for a cruise, there is a penalty schedule for that cruise.

If one is only waitlisted with a paid deposit, they are not booked and no penalty applies. They get their full deposit back if they never clear waitlist.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2022 at 9:40 PM, GICNJC said:

Just FYI, there is availability on the 7 night Founders Cruise, May 13, 2023.  A few PH and lower level still available.

SHHHHHHH, don’t mention availability on the Vista Founders Cruise, that is our secret. We just had 4 friends book in PH’s. A very nice itinerary and cruise, will be a lot of fun.  Price is right but airfare prices are CRAZY unless you spend a lot of 💵 or mileage credits. 
Waitlisting WITH A DEPOSIT does move you up quicker versus being on the Waitlist without a Deposit, at least that has ALWAYS been my understanding. Depending on how long the Waitlist is, I think if it is a shorter list and the cruise is many months away, you do have a chance of getting on the cruise.  Waitlist W/O a Deposit, it may take a miracle. 

Mauibabes

30 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

SHHHHHHH, don’t mention availability on the Vista Founders Cruise, that is our secret. We just had 4 friends book in PH’s. A very nice itinerary and cruise, will be a lot of fun.  Price is right but airfare prices are CRAZY unless you spend a lot of 💵 or mileage credits. 
Waitlisting WITH A DEPOSIT does move you up quicker versus being on the Waitlist without a Deposit, at least that has ALWAYS been my understanding. Depending on how long the Waitlist is, I think if it is a shorter list and the cruise is many months away, you do have a chance of getting on the cruise.  Waitlist W/O a Deposit, it may take a miracle. 

Mauibabes

YIKES, with my apologies all, this cruise is now at 100% capacity and the wait list has over 1,000 names on it.  Don't waste your time trying to make a booking, you are way to late!  😁

Edited by LGW59

3 hours ago, caviargal said:

How long is your cruise? If over 14 or 15 days then Final is 150 days before the cruise and penalty's start at 180 days before cruise, which puts an April cruise squarely in that bullseye. 

• Like 2

On 12/13/2022 at 4:29 PM, caviargal said:

Are you on the 14 or 21 day cruise ?

The Admin fee  is more of an FCC you can use it for  a future cruise  if you are in that penalty  phase

https://oceaniacruises.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005306234-What-is-your-cancellation-and-refund-policy-