Is it really acceptable to treat single travellers like this?

iandjm

Wouldn’t it be less expensive to book with the cruise only rate and then buy one each of the packages that you want?

I am not sure that it is any less fair than requiring both people book in a cabin to pay the same rate that has the AI bundled in the rate, when only one of the two people get much value out of the AI. One is not allowed to book two people in a cabin with one person paying the rate with the AI built in and the other paying a Cruise only rate.

As we all know the AI is not an add on (like on Princess), it is built into the rate.  It reflects a significant discount of buying each element separately.

Perhaps Celebrity could reduce the supplement for solo passengers to 75% instead of 100% to make it look fairer.  

I would also assume that a solo booking a cabin designed and built for one passenger does not pay a supplement and does not have that issue.  It only becomes an issue when a solo wishes to cruise in a cabin designed and marketed for two passengers minimum.

The bottom line is that a solo passengers can:

1. Book a cabin designed and marketed for one person.

2.  Book a cabin designed and marketed for two people or more with the Cruise Only rate and pay for one person and each of the non bundled items that they desire.

3. Or purchase the cabin with the bundle built into the prevailing rate and pay the current supplement.

Easy for me to say, since I do not cruise solo.  If my DW and I want twice the space in our cabin, we have to pay a big premium and book a suite.

On 12/3/2022 at 12:29 PM, NutsAboutGolf said:

100% agree and if the OP is sailing often solo, they receive double CC points and once they make elite will receive the 5-7pm happy hour which makes things a little bit easier

IF and that's a big IF, you get the double points. I wasn't aware of that rule until just recently a I went back and realized I did NOT receive double points for several bookings. I sent an email to the CC over a month ago and (spoiler alert)....crickets.

I'm going to bring this up with the Retreat Concierge on my next cruise.

25 minutes ago, go.without.you said:

IF and that's a big IF, you get the double points. I wasn't aware of that rule until just recently a I went back and realized I did NOT receive double points for several bookings. I sent an email to the CC over a month ago and (spoiler alert)....crickets.

I'm going to bring this up with the Retreat Concierge on my next cruise.

Call them.  Many of us have never not received double points when solo

The first time I sailed solo after they switched to the double points offer, I did not get the double points.  A quick call to the Captains Club took care of that and I have received double points ever since.  But I think it's helpful to check after each cruise as opposed to letting them pile up.  Probably harder to verify.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

The first time I sailed solo after they switched to the double points offer, I did not get the double points.  A quick call to the Captains Club took care of that and I have received double points ever since.  But I think it's helpful to check after each cruise as opposed to letting them pile up.  Probably harder to verify.

Yeah, I just don't want to spend the next 3 hours listening to their hold music. UGH.

On 12/3/2022 at 11:34 AM, Beachlover1989 said:

I was in contact with the Executive Office about my moms serious bathtub fall in a Celebrity Suite on Summit. They said they were “surprised” to hear about how high the tub wall was as they had “never” (seriously!) heard it was a problem before. 🙄

I have decided that being surprised is their immediate response to all concerns. 

My wife and had the super high tub in a Sky suite on the Summit. I struggled to get in the tub but it was impossible for my wife to negotiate. Our butler arranged for my wife to use an unoccupied room with a shower for her to use. Celebrity definitely needs to add one or two grab bars. We reserved an accessible Sky suite for our cruise in March.

On 12/5/2022 at 6:51 PM, jagoffee said:

Wouldn’t it be less expensive to book with the cruise only rate and then buy one each of the packages that you want?

I am not sure that it is any less fair than requiring both people book in a cabin to pay the same rate that has the AI bundled in the rate, when only one of the two people get much value out of the AI. One is not allowed to book two people in a cabin with one person paying the rate with the AI built in and the other paying a Cruise only rate.

As we all know the AI is not an add on (like on Princess), it is built into the rate.  It reflects a significant discount of buying each element separately.

Perhaps Celebrity could reduce the supplement for solo passengers to 75% instead of 100% to make it look fairer.  

I would also assume that a solo booking a cabin designed and built for one passenger does not pay a supplement and does not have that issue.  It only becomes an issue when a solo wishes to cruise in a cabin designed and marketed for two passengers minimum.

The bottom line is that a solo passengers can:

1. Book a cabin designed and marketed for one person.

2.  Book a cabin designed and marketed for two people or more with the Cruise Only rate and pay for one person and each of the non bundled items that they desire.

3. Or purchase the cabin with the bundle built into the prevailing rate and pay the current supplement.

Easy for me to say, since I do not cruise solo.  If my DW and I want twice the space in our cabin, we have to pay a big premium and book a suite.

AI is an add on now for those of us in the U.K.  

On 12/5/2022 at 12:51 PM, jagoffee said:

I know we talked about this in another thread, but I want to make this visible to others that AI is lately not as good of a deal as it once was.

On 12/3/2022 at 11:34 AM, Beachlover1989 said:

I was in contact with the Executive Office about my moms serious bathtub fall in a Celebrity Suite on Summit. They said they were “surprised” to hear about how high the tub wall was as they had “never” (seriously!) heard it was a problem before. 🙄

I have decided that being surprised is their immediate response to all concerns. 

i am in my late 50s, 5'7" with no physical restrictions and those tubs scared the heck out of me everyday.  I was sooooo careful getting in and out.  The drop is unacceptable and there is nothing to hold on to.  

On 12/5/2022 at 1:51 PM, jagoffee said:

If my DW and I want twice the space in our cabin, we have to pay a big premium and book a suite.

I don't want twice the space in my cabin either, but the number of solo cabins available is tiny compared with the pool of solo travelers.

Most of us don't have a "real" choice of booking a solo cabin....

• Like 3

On 12/4/2022 at 10:31 PM, the penguins said:

Was this before the introduction of AI?

I don't think so, the last 4 cruises we have do with celebrity to Asia and the Caribbean we have booked balconies for all of us (through a travel agent)as the drinks were included and other offers at that time. She only had the one package and always gave the room steward extra as we all did and she always pay double occupancey thats her choice. We are cruising again in march but this time we have paid per day for drinks, wifi and tips which were separate. I just look for whatever offers are on the time.

1 hour ago, florence11 said:

I don't think so, the last 4 cruises we have do with celebrity to Asia and the Caribbean we have booked balconies for all of us (through a travel agent)as the drinks were included and other offers at that time. She only had the one package and always gave the room steward extra as we all did and she always pay double occupancey thats her choice. We are cruising again in march but this time we have paid per day for drinks, wifi and tips which were separate. I just look for whatever offers are on the time.

From the way you have worded your reply it would appear that she did pay for 2 of everything i.e. the price you paid included drinks and she paid for double occupancy which also included the drinks so she paid for 2 of everything that was included. In March you have selected a cruise only rate so now any supplement will only be on the room and she will pay for 1 of everything else.

The new system gives you these options whereas the old system didn't. 

Of course from Aqua and above AI is still compolsary. 

On 12/5/2022 at 10:17 AM, PTC DAWG said:

Start a cruise line, charge what you think is fair.  

Sailed with my now ex-brother in law a few years ago.  He has always been a whining a-hole and even with me heavily subsidizing his, sister, and nephew's cruise for them, his non stop complaining how he would this and that different I finally snapped with that exact statement.  It did, for the most part, shut him up the rest of the cruise. 😂

• Haha 1