On the Splendor BtoB Dec 3 -20

cwn

3 minutes ago, Kristal Blade said:

Love the card!

Im hoping that will be available over Christmas because I have told my hubby he can make me a birthday card on board. He has 6 days to achieve it!

I have a small question, if you don’t mind cwn. Is there a kettle in the room? We like to be able to make a cup of tea and hope we don’t need to trot off to a bar/cafe every time. We are going to bring our own tea bags. Thank you.

No not in our level of room. Room service is fast with a pot of hot water… l like tea late at night. Haven’t asked at the desk for one though.

Loving your carry on report from Georgia Peach and we too travel with our companions and our grandchildren love following their adventures. 

A quick general question for anyone. 

On all the cruises we have undertaken and I see on yours, friends of Bill W meet. Who is Bill W? 

I'm just intrigued. 

3 minutes ago, Boatmans Lady said:

Loving your carry on report from Georgia Peach and we too travel with our companions and our grandchildren love following their adventures. 

A quick general question for anyone. 

On all the cruises we have undertaken and I see on yours, friends of Bill W meet. Who is Bill W? 

I'm just intrigued. 

General William Westmoreland.

Actually, AA.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@mrlevin, In Georgia Peach's thread, I just posted a mini-review or my experience on Splendor. If you are onboard now or soon, suggest you give Gino a listen...we often headed up to the Explorer's Lounge pre-dinner or after show--Gino is great, and also very knowledgeable about music. 

Members of the orchestra are often found in the Meridian Lounge or the lounge on deck 4--with one or other of the cast singers. Also enjoyable.  But I know what you mean re the duo--we enjoyed that in the "BC" era. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Kristal Blade said:

Love the card!

Im hoping that will be available over Christmas because I have told my hubby he can make me a birthday card on board. He has 6 days to achieve it!

I have a small question, if you don’t mind cwn. Is there a kettle in the room? We like to be able to make a cup of tea and hope we don’t need to trot off to a bar/cafe every time. We are going to bring our own tea bags. Thank you.

No tea kettles in the room, but there is an Illy expresso maker if you are concierge level or above.   Devices such as that are not allowed as they can be fire hazards if not attended.   Perhaps you can bring along a thermos and fill it with hot water from the coffee connection? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, forgap said:

No tea kettles in the room, but there is an Illy expresso maker if you are concierge level or above.   Devices such as that are not allowed as they can be fire hazards if not attended.   Perhaps you can bring along a thermos and fill it with hot water from the coffee connection? 

We get a kettle when we cruise with other lines.. P&O, Princess, Celebrity, Azamara.

I don’t want to bring my own kettle, just have one to use while I’m in the cabin.

I think I might be concierge level, I never drink coffee and I don’t see that a kettle is more of a fire hazard than a coffee maker.

I will probably ring room service if I don’t get a kettle.

1 hour ago, Kristal Blade said:

We get a kettle when we cruise with other lines.. P&O, Princess, Celebrity, Azamara.

I don’t want to bring my own kettle, just have one to use while I’m in the cabin.

I think I might be concierge level, I never drink coffee and I don’t see that a kettle is more of a fire hazard than a coffee maker.

I will probably ring room service if I don’t get a kettle.

Now I am curious....next time I am by the desk will ask if electric kettles are available. On the world cruise I brought a large thermos and had room service bring me a large pot of hot water and transferred that to my thermos. I like hot tea at night after DH has gone to sleep. Let you know.

• Thanks 2

20 hours ago, mrlevin said:

I hope someone shows up soon; maybe Nature's Rhythm willl be back?!

When we were on Splendor in September/October, there was a duo - Jennie and Ryan from the UK. They were excellent. They were supposed to be on until February, so I wonder what happened.

We are in Puerta Plata, Dominican Republic today. After a very bouncy ride yesterday afternoon and last night it is nice to be still! Sunny and warm, nice day for a tour. We are doing the Buggies and Beach off-road at 1:45. need to meet in the parking lot which is a good walk for me at least. the tour office says to allow 15 minutes! Fortunately, they have tut-tuts for the walking challenged, this includes me.

We have not been to the Dominican Republic in our 40 years of cruising. in fact, most of the islands we are visiting on these three cruises are new to us! We have visited all 7 continents and gone around the world three times, but the Caribbean was reserved for diving trips to Cozumel, Cayman and USVI in our younger days.

So much boring history about us. DR was named by Christopher Columbus.  The town looks small and compact no vert touristy between the sea and a mountain. I can see an interesting looking old church spires from the ship. It looks very walkable. There is a shore side area between dock and old town that looks very nice. 

Dick just came back from checking on the tut-tuts and said the elfs are decorating the main lobby area. This is what I have been waiting for. I will report on the tour and our time at Pacific Rim later.

• Like 3

cwn, thank you for the response to my query about the drawer at the desk. That sounds great! I really think we would enjoy one of those aft G2s, balcony sounds lovely, as well.

Am envious of all your travels, afraid we are a little late to the party- we will never get to do anywhere near that amount of travel, but am certainly grateful to be able to do what we can. Thanks for carrying on in great style!

1 hour ago, cwn said:

Now I am curious....next time I am by the desk will ask if electric kettles are available. On the world cruise I brought a large thermos and had room service bring me a large pot of hot water and transferred that to my thermos. I like hot tea at night after DH has gone to sleep. Let you know.

Full disclosure....I hate the coffee on Regent.  I like my Starbucks French Roast in a French press.  One year, not only did i bring my coffee but also a camping french press (stuffed with socks in my suitcase) and a collapsible kettle made from neoprene which I bought on Amazon.  It worked really well but I carefully hid it everyday.   

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I'm sorry, but there's all this talk of hiding kettles.  If they're allowed, you could bring one.  If they're not, you shouldn't, should you?  Like irons.

BTW, the Illy I presume can make tea as well, like a Keurig?  I'll probably bring my own favourite tea bags.

Which is why I initially suggested the thermos.

6 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I'm sorry, but there's all this talk of hiding kettles.  If they're allowed, you could bring one.  If they're not, you shouldn't, should you?  Like irons.

BTW, the Illy I presume can make tea as well, like a Keurig?  I'll probably bring my own favourite tea bags.

I had the illy in my suite. I don’t think it makes tea

I will tell you what I found out at the front desk. Electric kettles are not allowed. They will be collected at x-ray when boarding.  The Lilly doesn’t make tea! They suggested you tell your room Stewart what time you would like a.big pot of hot water delivered everyday. I am assuming they were thinking afternoon tea time. Said that way you would not have to wait to fix tea after getting back from a tour. Of course you can just order hot tea anytime from room service. So far for us it has been fast.

I am exhausted and to sleepy to type. We had a great tour this afternoon, but will have to wait until tomorrow to tell everything that went on today. Hint the film crew went on our tour and it was just us and another couple!

Edited by cwn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1