Crew members working in Neptune Lounge

alwayscruisetime

I hope you can help - we fly for South America next week.  We've never sailed with Holland before - and have never been in a suite on any line before!  We'll have access to the Neptune Lounge on our 22 day cruise that spans the holidays, and I'd like to have small gifts for the crew members we'll have gotten to know by then, just to mark the holiday.  

I know that we'll see our cabin steward daily, we'll probably have some waiters we see regularly, but I have no way of guessing how many crew members we might come to know in the Neptune Lounge, because I don't know how many employees there might be at any given time in the lounge.  Is it safe to say that we wouldn't have more than 4 different servers/concierge/other crew members that are posted there regularly?

Thank you in advance.  

8 minutes ago, alwayscruisetime said:

I hope you can help - we fly for South America next week.  We've never sailed with Holland before - and have never been in a suite on any line before!  We'll have access to the Neptune Lounge on our 22 day cruise that spans the holidays, and I'd like to have small gifts for the crew members we'll have gotten to know by then, just to mark the holiday.  

I know that we'll see our cabin steward daily, we'll probably have some waiters we see regularly, but I have no way of guessing how many crew members we might come to know in the Neptune Lounge, because I don't know how many employees there might be at any given time in the lounge.  Is it safe to say that we wouldn't have more than 4 different servers/concierge/other crew members that are posted there regularly?

Thank you in advance.  

I know this isn't the answer you're looking for, but the crew members don't really need knick-knaky stuff (VERY limited space in their shared rooms), or candies/food items that they may or may not be allergic to/allowed to eat.

The best "gift" is extra gratuities, and a mention by name on the after cruise survey as to how spectacular you thought they were.

• Like 12

18 minutes ago, alwayscruisetime said:

Thank you in advance.  

On your long cruise, it is my experience and understanding that you will have the same personnel.  On shorter cruises, some ships periodically rotate personnel for them to gain experience. 

There will be various waiters coming to the Neptune Lounge to stock and replenish the snacks but they will be there for only a few minutes.

The best gift for any crew member is cash as many support families back home.

• Like 2

Thank you, Librarian!  That's EXACTLY what I was looking for!  

And Crew News I agree.  The gift will be cash in a holiday card.  Something they can use, and something that takes up little space in our luggage.  I just wanted to know how many cards and how much cash.

It's hard enough to shop for people I know well in my everyday life!  I'd never presume that I could choose something suitable in advance, for someone I've never met.  😄

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, alwayscruisetime said:

Thank you, Librarian!  That's EXACTLY what I was looking for!  

And Crew News I agree.  The gift will be cash in a holiday card.  Something they can use, and something that takes up little space in our luggage.  I just wanted to know how many cards and how much cash.

It's hard enough to shop for people I know well in my everyday life!  I'd never presume that I could choose something suitable in advance, for someone I've never met.  😄

FWIW don't be surprised if your are greeted by name the first time you go to the Neptune Lounge.  When you use your card to open the Neptune Lounge door, your name and photo pops up on the Concierge's computer screen.

• Haha 1

The Neptune Lounge concierge assignment used to be a rotating position from within the front office/guest services. For about a year and a half now, that has been changed to a permanent NL concierge position (so no longer a rotating position), backed up (for her/his breaks) by a member of the front office which is still a collateral assignment.

So, to answer your question, you will see one NL concierge plus one part-time backup. In addition, members of the Pinnacle Grill restaurant will be in the NL on a daily basis to set up /restock the food items inside. That is usually also the same individual however he (it is usually a male PG server) can have a backup from the PG also.

Enjoy your time in the NL! It's a great place to relax! 

• Like 3

The Neptune Lounge concierges are wonderful and can handle just about anything you need.  I agree that if you want to give them a gift, that cash is best.  Also remember, they and much of crew, are Indonesian and therefore not usually Christians.  Don't offend them by giving them a Christmas card.

49 minutes ago, Torquer said:

The Neptune Lounge concierges are wonderful and can handle just about anything you need.  I agree that if you want to give them a gift, that cash is best.  Also remember, they and much of crew, are Indonesian and therefore not usually Christians.  Don't offend them by giving them a Christmas card.

Ah...much of the crew is also from the Philippines, includes the front desk people, from where the Neptune Lounge staff is drawn from.

• Thanks 1

@Copper10-8  Thanks for your explanation.  I noticed the change on the Nieuw Amsterdam in Alaska recently.  I was expecting to have two host/hostess staff members in the NL. The same hostess was there each day and the food was changed out by our favorite Neptune waiter who made sure we had something to eat.  When we entered the Neptune Lounge the hostess greeted us from behind her desk.   We’ve only been in a NS a few times but the most recent visit left us with a less than “cozy experience”.  Also, I thought there was always food in the little NL buffet.  Not so on our August cruise.  The coffee was great, otherwise the Neptune Lounge was disappointing.

Edited by oaktreerb

On a similar but different vein they used to change out the cabana stewards every couple week or maybe every longer cruise.  There was always one learning the ropes and one that knew the ropes. I was surprised on the koningsdam that the same guys worked in the cabanas for their entire contract.  I would think that would be a pretty sweet place to be because the chance of earning some decent tips would be better than their “normal” positions.  Don’t know if this is happening on every ship.

11 hours ago, Torquer said:

Sorry, but the NL staff is from the Philippines, not Indonesia! 😉 

• Like 2

Thank you all for your input.  Wherever they're from, I will be celebrating Christmas, and one of the ways I celebrate is through gift-giving.  Since I'll be away from friends and family, I will be giving cash gifts to my "new neighbors", as I do the regular workers here in my neighborhood at home (the postman, the garbage collectors, etc.) and the same way I bake cookies for many of the people who live in my neighborhood.  (Obviously I'm not baking for the crew!)  It's a joyful occasion for me, and it gives me joy to share with others.  Something makes me think they won't be offended by a cash gift one week into a 3 week cruise - whatever the reason!  

Thank you for all the information on the Neptune Lounge and Neptune Suites - I'm so looking forward to this cruise!  (My husband, on the other hand, is afraid that the suite will spoil me for future cruises...)

Happy holidays to all of you!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, alwayscruisetime said:

Thank you all for your input.  Wherever they're from, I will be celebrating Christmas, and one of the ways I celebrate is through gift-giving.  Since I'll be away from friends and family, I will be giving cash gifts to my "new neighbors", as I do the regular workers here in my neighborhood at home (the postman, the garbage collectors, etc.) and the same way I bake cookies for many of the people who live in my neighborhood.  (Obviously I'm not baking for the crew!)  It's a joyful occasion for me, and it gives me joy to share with others.  Something makes me think they won't be offended by a cash gift one week into a 3 week cruise - whatever the reason!  

Thank you for all the information on the Neptune Lounge and Neptune Suites - I'm so looking forward to this cruise!  (My husband, on the other hand, is afraid that the suite will spoil me for future cruises...)

Happy holidays to all of you!

It will spoil you!

I was surprised that the snacks in the Neptune Lounge on the Nieuw Amsterdam were much less appealing and plentiful than before covid.  They now only have cold cuts and cheese, pretzels, potato chips and nuts.  They used to have fancy appetizers and special treats.

15 hours ago, KAKcruiser said:

I was surprised that the snacks in the Neptune Lounge on the Nieuw Amsterdam were much less appealing and plentiful than before covid.  They now only have cold cuts and cheese, pretzels, potato chips and nuts.  They used to have fancy appetizers and special treats.

It does vary by time of day and certain days.  I know on our cruise they brought out shrimp on sea days only at I think 3 or 4 PM for example.  Also, the "good" snacks go quickly.  Still, you are correct that the snacks are nowhere near as good as before Covid.  Just one more cutback by HAL.

Aloha. We have been blessed to sail in suites that include the Neptune Lounge many times. Service is excellent and I enjoy morning coffee and catching up on news while the other half is asleep. The snacks and offerings and the concierge is addictive. Smooth sailing!

I know about the rotating snacks depending on time of day.  They did have cold sandwiches at lunch time.  But it was really diminished from what it used to be - certainly no shrimp or good snacks.  The other problem is this was a 7 day cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam.  Maybe a longer cruise on a Pinnacle class ship would be better.

On 12/9/2022 at 5:21 PM, KAKcruiser said:

Wow!!!!   I'd be disappointed, too.   We were on the Rotterdam for 10 days last month and enjoyed a light lunch several days from the Neptune Lounge (it helped that we were only 2 doors down, so it was SO convenient).   Lots of fruit, whole and cut up, 3 kinds of small sandwiches at lunch (tomato/mozz, veggie, and ham or prosciutto), shrimp cocktail at least 4 of the days (wasn't there every day to see), cold cuts and cheese, cookies, custard.   I did miss the delicious macarons we had pre-COVID.  I can't even remember seeing pretzels/chips/nuts, but wasn't really looking for anything in the late afternoon or early eve, so didn't notice.  Oh, yes, there was pita chips with delicious hummus and baba ganoush and raw veggies. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, KAKcruiser said:

I know about the rotating snacks depending on time of day.  They did have cold sandwiches at lunch time.  But it was really diminished from what it used to be - certainly no shrimp or good snacks.  The other problem is this was a 7 day cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam.  Maybe a longer cruise on a Pinnacle class ship would be better.

Doubt it. We were on Rotterdam last month and they served the same 3 finger sandwiches every day. They did have shrimp some days (they ran out). The layout and variety each day was nothing close to what used to be there but having a nibble on something and casual chat with others is good. Funny thing. They only had chocolate chip cookies. I asked if they can bring a tray of macadamia cookies, she said no they all have a set menu. HOWEVER, when I would go back each day there were 3 macadamia cookies on the tray. SHE personally went and got them from upstairs each day. 🥰🥰 yes you will get spoiled but we stopped booking Neptune suites years ago (had to use up FCC last month)  because my DW said it wasn't worth extra cost each cruise.🙏🥰