Daily Service Charges are now officially out of hand

bjlaac

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

It is unfair that some of us pay several hundred dollars auto gratuities while others can stop theirs at guest services when we all get a similar service.

I don't think everyone receives the same service, no matter the service business - cruise ship or land base businesses.  Automatic gratuities can remove an incentive to go that "extra mile" for a guest.  I've seen that happen, as one example, at a cruise ship bar where a long pour was guaranteed when I cash-tipped the bartender.  🍸

• Like 1

I view the auto grats as the most opaque daily charge existing on the high seas. Does anyone know with certainty how much or what percentage the cook, dishwasher, cabin steward, waiter, etc. get?

To me this added charge reeks of junk fees or in other words unfair or deceptive fees that are charged for services to the consumer so the base cruise fare looks lower than it actually is. For this reason I refuse to pay it and bring lots of cash to give directly to those I deem worthy of a tip. 

For those who insist that the crew gets notice of who removed their auto grats, please tell me how. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, nelblu said:

Also, if your e docs list the old rate and you prepay prior to cruise, one will pay the rate per the docs. 

Does this still apply. 

That's what our edocs say. We plan on doing that for our January cruise. 

Btw we usually tip room attendant,  waiter, assistant waiter extra. We also tip bar waiters in diamond lounge and elsewhere for our free drinks.

Edited by njkruzer

11 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Maybe Royal in addition of T&F a gratuity line of a % of the fare thst cannot be removed aka T&F. 

T&F = True or False. Yes it's true you get charged if you don't speak up and it's false that these fees go directly to those you want to tip. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Longford said:

I don't think everyone receives the same service, no matter the service business - cruise ship or land base businesses.  Automatic gratuities can remove an incentive to go that "extra mile" for a guest.  I've seen that happen, as one example, at a cruise ship bar where a long pour was guaranteed when I cash-tipped the bartender.  🍸

We all get a cabin,cabin steward,clean towels,waiters in the restaurant,bars and windjammer.

Being friendly and respectful to the crew certainly helps although I have always been a generous cash tipper on top of pre-paid or auto gratuities.

As D+ we get 5 free drinks each daily and I always tip $1 cash per drink but often don't see anyone else tipping cash.

On Anthem from Southampton England in September I got served quickly every time we were in the Schooner bar.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

I view the auto grats as the most opaque daily charge existing on the high seas. Does anyone know with certainty how much or what percentage the cook, dishwasher, cabin steward, waiter, etc. get?

To me this added charge reeks of junk fees or in other words unfair or deceptive fees that are charged for services to the consumer so the base cruise fare looks lower than it actually is. For this reason I refuse to pay it and bring lots of cash to give directly to those I deem worthy of a tip. 

For those who insist that the crew gets notice of who removed their auto grats, please tell me how. 

On Anthem of the seas in September on the last afternoon several cabins near us had their cabin charge sheets in the docket outside their cabin.

These usually appear around 3am on the morning you get off the ship.

I had spoken to most of them and they had indicated they had removed their gratuities.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2022 at 9:24 AM, ARandomTraveler said:

We Americans have a knack for expecting a lot of things without having to pay for them in any way. 

Geez, you Yanks want to take credit for everything. You guys are not the only ones who expect a lot of things without having to pay for them in any way. That's a human trait not just an American trait. So stop thinking you're worse than the rest of us! 😉

Oh, BTW talking about taking credit for things,  No, something is not as American as apple pie! Something is as British as apple pie, they invented them! And stop taking credit for Justin Bieber, he's Canadian ... 🤔 ... 🤔 ... on second thought, keep taking credit for the Biebs. 😊

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Longford said:

I'm not so certain the families of active duty military who depend on food stamps think they're being treated so well.

I'm not going to argue with you, but the pay for someone in the neighborhood of an E3, married with dependents is $3700 which includes BAH and BAF.  It does not include the fact they aren't paying much for medical or other Fringe Benefits.  My son had no issues buying and living in a 5 bedroom, 4 bath, house with a full garage, two kids and a wife while an E4. If they are on food stamps, than the spouse should maybe find a job?  But it is not the military pay.  You must understand that military pay is in various items, and the amount you quoted was only one piece.  I just don't want others to believe they only get $1,400 a month so I'm responding. 

Going back to the post, the pay for the employees on a ship, is not based on USA rates, and for many, the pay exceeds the pay if they chose to live at home.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

I totally agree with you. I remove the grats and tip who i feel have provided a service above and beyond. 

I am not an american, its not in my nature or culture to PRE tip for a service. It is not expected but a bonus for the recipients. 

If Royal add the tips to the base fare so i know at the start what i am paying then great.

Other cruise lines have done it P&O for example and i am content to pay that and will tip extra for good service, so what cant royal?.......simple answer they are an american cruise line and know most americans will pay it as ita their culture and expected. This keeps the base price attractive in the market they mostly sail from the US.

• Like 5

On 12/8/2022 at 11:35 AM, Engineroom Snipe said:

. . . That total price per night is what I need to keep reasonable for the cabin I desire if possible.

Agree. Value is the key word.

On 12/8/2022 at 1:21 PM, dada2199cc said:

. . . on F__eb__k because I can (a) see real names . . . [pics] . . .

Really?

You can ignore people here too, or use to be able to anyway. I haven't done it in a while.

5 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

Military pay is a monthly pay, plus a housing allowance pay, and a food allowance pay.  So the actual pay is not $1,400 if you want to compare it to other private pay.  You must add all of them up.  Also, most people have fringe benefits, that are also included in pay, but in the military, it is paid for and it the best for any private industry.  

You can't compare the pay for a crew member to the army, and most important, to USA salary ranges either.  For many of the crew, they are making more than if they worked at home, and they are happily doing it. 

It's been quite a while since I retired, but during my entire 20-year career, single folks living in base quarters didn't get housing or sustenance (or whatever it was called) allowance. Base pay was pretty much it. Of course they could do better with the base pay for themselves alone than a family could. . . . Housing covers the added cost of housing, food allowance covers groceries (as opposed to eating in the chow hall) and base pay covers everything else, for one or several.

3 hours ago, Longford said:

I'm not so certain the families of active duty military who depend on food stamps think they're being treated so well.

Indeed. I never claimed it, but as an E-5 with two kids I qualified for food stamps.

55 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

I just don't want others to believe they only get $1,400 a month so I'm responding.

I still remember getting paid something like $260/month fresh out of basic training. That was it, many years ago but that was the grand total of my paycheck (minus taxes on the entire amount of course). I got married a year later and my "income" roughly doubled (as did my expenses). The extra income is allowances paid to us to offset additional costs of living for the service member. That bolded part is the key to the whole deal. No additional costs, no extra pay, base pay only.

- - - - - - - - -

I also remember (again many years ago) when it was the norm to tip 10%. Over a few years as prices went up and up, that 10% also went up to 15%. Inflation on top of inflation. More price increases, tips went up to 18% . . . 18% of a still higher price. Now 20%? So 'progress" has us inching ever closer to 100.  Where will the creep stop, if it ever does? NCL is leading the way, and of course RCI and others will follow sooner or later. I won't call it price-fixing because it isn't that.  . . . . . . potayto potahto 🤪 . . . .

For the cruise I booked last week I paid taxes and port fees of a whopping $286 and change, grand total for 2, for a 7-day cruise with 4 ports of call. That doesn't seem like a whole lot more than I was paying 10 years ago. I guess gratuities haven't gone up "all that much" in 10 years either, but. But but but.

Edited by Moonarino

3 hours ago, dada2199cc said:

This is a horrible idea.  Anything in the base fare has to also have commissions, taxes, fees, etc added on.

In the total price then. As a non-US resident I just want to see the total price and not have them added separately.

• Like 1

Just now, swoopy2110 said:

In the total price then. As a non-US resident I just want to see the total price and not have them added separately.

I made my own little calculator spreadsheet that lets me track that kind of stuff really easily.  Not too difficult to do.

On 12/8/2022 at 7:54 AM, Diver2014 said:

If you can't afford to tip, don't cruise.  Flames, anyone?

If NCL, Royal, Carnival, and others can't afford to pay employees enough money to not need any tips at all then maybe they should go out of business?

I like my position better than yours and something I stand by with restaurants as well when they say they "can't afford it".

• Like 2

On 12/8/2022 at 9:41 AM, shof515 said:

Princess cruises also increased their gratuities rates too. i wont be surprised to see more cruises lines follow 

Princess raised their daily gratuity by $1.50 per day for all cabin bookings. Not $4.00/day like NCL.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, alfaeric said:

So you would be ok with the same increase across the board for all cruise fares, then. 

Yes

Just like I will pay more at a restaurant if tips were not expected either.

Paid a ton of money at Sandals with the benefit of zero tipping outside of our butler. Others will get fired if they try to solicit tips. Pay a good wage, make the employees happy, and make it so that if someone doesn't perform you have others lined up for paying so well.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dada2199cc said:

I made my own little calculator spreadsheet that lets me track that kind of stuff really easily.  Not too difficult to do.

Right......

Okay do you have it for: Royal, NCL, Carnival, Disney, HAL, Celebrity, Princess, MSC? Now does it automatically update for all the various increases that keep occurring? Does it account for the other things being removed that you need to replace with payment like extra MDR dishes? Is there a way you found you could find the add-ons prior to booking if you were going to get a drink package or dining package?

I could go on and on and on.

Point being its a major hassle and these fees and optional upcharges should be laid out prior to booking and should be included in the baseline pricing that you book.

• Like 1

Just now, J0Y0US said:

Point being its a major hassle and these fees and optional upcharges should be laid out prior to booking and should be included in the baseline pricing that you book.

I have it for every travel organization I deal with, yes.  It took maybe 2 hours total over many years to work out and tweaks are really fast.  When I go comparison shopping, I just put in the base rate in one column, fees and taxes in another column, days and it basically shows me the bottom line or close to it.

It's not a hassle at all.  YOU are hassled, but that's you.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2022 at 8:19 AM, footzz said:

The fact is the gratuities or service charges aren't compulsory and be adjusted up or down or completely removed at the passangers request.....

5 hours ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

If you don't like it - just remove it! Just takes a phone call to GS!

And here is the real problem - they let people remove them so we all pay more.

Don't belive it check the lines a GS the last night and then move to a location where you can hear a little, lots are being removed.

It is just plain wrong, MAKE those charges MANDATORY.

23 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

If the gratuities were part of the cruise fare then everyone would be paying, and that sounds fair. Crew would still pool all the added 18% that seems to be charged for everything. Have not heard of anyone trying to have the grats removed from the weekly bar tab. 

If not part of the cruise fare, then at least mandatory.

No one is able to remove the 18% from their bar tab.

Just like going to a land based restaurant with a larger group, most automatically charge you for gratuities.  Saw someone argue with a restaurant manager about it once, he finally said pay or I'll call the police.  End of story.  Make it mandatory.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, grapau27 said:

As D+ we get 5 free drinks each daily and I always tip $1 cash per drink but often don't see anyone else tipping cash.

I do the same with my diamond drinks.  Typically, I did the same when I was on the DBP.  I was on my first NCL a couple of weeks ago and continued my usual package.  I didn't see a single other person do likewise.  I really thought it was customary.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2022 at 7:15 AM, smokeybandit said:

The obvious solution is for a cruise line to pay better salaries. 

I think that is what they are trying to do.  It is how they are going about I guess.  They could roll all the grats into the pricing and just do a general price increase.  I would like that.  Those that pull tips probably wouldn't.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dada2199cc said:

I have it for every travel organization I deal with, yes.  It took maybe 2 hours total over many years to work out and tweaks are really fast.  When I go comparison shopping, I just put in the base rate in one column, fees and taxes in another column, days and it basically shows me the bottom line or close to it.

It's not a hassle at all.  YOU are hassled, but that's you.

And you keep it up to date how?

Also you have accurate pricing on all dining, wifi, and drink packages across all brands.

Sorry but honestly calling BS that its not a hassle compared to having it just listed and a baseline number that includes everything.

As an example how would you know Princess increased their daily charges? How about recent drink plan changes on NCL where Crown Royal is $1+20% to purchase? All of these things are what I am talking about not being a good way of tracking or in certain circumstances being able to pull together.

Additionally these prices can change between booking and cruising which is another issue as all of a sudden you can see various things change on your cruise ending up adding additional costs to the cruise.

Edited by J0Y0US

4 hours ago, grapau27 said:

On Anthem of the seas in September on the last afternoon several cabins near us had their cabin charge sheets in the docket outside their cabin.

These usually appear around 3am on the morning you get off the ship.

I had spoken to most of them and they had indicated they had removed their gratuities.

You’re saying change the sheets is code for “this cabin removed their auto grats”? What purpose would that serve posting that at 3am the day you disembark?

I can see where this will lead to no-auto-grats-no-service. Clean your own cabin and get your own food and drinks. Yikes!