Covid Updates

larrybritt

We leave on 12/27 for an 11 day trip. Just wondering how current cruises are making out, especially in the Caribbean. We are not the type that worry, but the media is just crazy right now. With Covid, Flu, RSV can’t help but to just hope you have a good vacation. Anyway trying not to stress but just curious what is going on out there in real time.

50 minutes ago, larrybritt said:

We leave on 12/27 for an 11 day trip. Just wondering how current cruises are making out, especially in the Caribbean. We are not the type that worry, but the media is just crazy right now. With Covid, Flu, RSV can’t help but to just hope you have a good vacation. Anyway trying not to stress but just curious what is going on out there in real time.

Can't speak to the ships, but my hospital is seeing very high levels of RSV and Influenza A.  Covid is making the rounds too.  So community spread is high at the moment.  Use your best judgment on precautions for yourself and enjoy your cruise.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We got off of a 10 Day Cruise on The Enchanted Princess on November 29.   I didn't see people that were visibly sick.  I also didn't see people suddenly "disappear" aka go into isolation.  There was very little masking, but people were washing hands and using sanitizer in the buffet.  But, overall, it seemed a pretty healthy cruise.  We were cruising in the Caribbean.  

• Thanks 1

I have gotten ill twice this year and NEITHER time was on my vacations (cruise, flights, bus tours).

Each time was here at home when I was unmasked, going about my community, doing social things.

I believe being a bit "on guard" while traveling kept me focused on health precautions.

I do think the new scientific findings about reduced nose immunity in cold weather makes me a bit more careful about going about when it is chillier.  

• Like 1

Just got off the Crown's 28 day cruise yesterday. There was Covid on the ship. Both pax and crew that I knew disappeared for 5-6 days and then reappeared and told us about being quarantined. It wasn't rampant, but sufficient that the Captain recommended masks inside after we left Tahiti. Not many followed the request. Lots of snorting and chesty coughs were heard, so other respiratory bugs were likely at work as well. We masked whenever inside, on excursion buses, and on our flights, used sanitizer religiously, and knock on wood we are home and still healthy.

• Like 1

I still wonder how many people testing positive are even "sick"?  The intense scrutiny of the cruise industry by the media and CDC has made some folks super sensitive and fearful and yet covid is everywhere and here to stay.

Take whatever precautions you need to in order to protect yourself and get on with life.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, SargassoPirate said:

I still wonder how many people testing positive are even "sick"?

Where I live, infection rates have risen steadily since Thanksgiving and continue to climb.  (I won't use the word "spike" as that seems to be a trigger for some people.)  In addition to rates rising, hospitalizations have risen dramatically as well.  I assume that people don't go to the hospital unless they are "sick".  Now, the numbers are nowhere near where they were at the peak of Covid, but they are certainly way, way higher than they were two months ago.  400 is more than 40, but it isn't 2,000 if you follow. 

I certainly cannot extrapolate what I am seeing in my part of the world (and workplace...pretty big Covid numbers there as well), to the cruise industry, but I don't think that it a leap to predict that the number of Covid+ people who will board ships  in the next month will be higher than last month, and the number of Covid+ people disembarking after their cruise will also be higher than last month.  But at this point, as noted, people need to take whatever precautions they think they need to take, and evaluate how important it is to them to remain Covid-free.  I think that by this point, everyone should be on the same page that if you board a cruise ship, or go to a shopping mall, or sporting event, or anywhere where there is a large crowd, there is a risk that you may contract Covid.  And the epidemiologists have been spot-on so far that from Thanksgiving through the two weeks after New Years, the numbers will increase.  No reason to think that this year will be any different.       

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Yep. That's what we're been doing since the beginning of this whole thing.

Me too, MissP22, but the difference for me is I've only worn a mask when required, and as mandates eased I've been on planes, trains, ships, and in restaurants and amusement parks without a mask.  Vaxxed and boosted. 

If mask mandates return, I'll comply out of respect for authority. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Incognito1 said:

AFAIK, only one case being talked about on the recent Ruby cruise, and then it was asymptomatic.  Older lady broke her arm and they automatically tested her in the medical center.

I broke 2 ribs on the Ruby in November they did not test me for covid. Ship felt very safe lots of masking in elevators. On the Royal back in August got covid no one was masking anywhere. There were hundreds of us in isolation on a southbound Alaskan cruise. Believe it came on from people who were on land tours

I walked off Regal a week ago today feeling fine.  Sunday morning, I wasn't feeling so great any more so did a test Sunday afternoon and got the dreaded Double Lines.  Toughed it out on Monday and Tuesday, but finally went to an urgent care center on Wednesday. I had the body aches, serious fatigue (but difficulty sleeping), loss of appetite, and heavy cough, but only a mild fever.  The NP at urgent care wrote me a RX for Paxlovid and benzonatate which I've been taking faithfully. Today is the first day that I feel like I'm going to get over this WuFlu.

This was my seventh and last cruise of 2022.  While vaxxed and boosted, I seldom wore a mask, but did try to observe the social distancing recommendation as well as hand sanitizing.  For 2023 cruises, I doubt I'll do much different.

• Like 1

A lot of this is regional but of course people travel from all around to board cruise ships. I live in Houston and went to the doctor yesterday for a routine check up. The nurse told me they were seeing increased respiratory illness, mostly colds and flu, and a slight uptick in covid.

27 minutes ago, SumoCitrus said:

A lot of this is regional but of course people travel from all around to board cruise ships. I live in Houston and went to the doctor yesterday for a routine check up. The nurse told me they were seeing increased respiratory illness, mostly colds and flu, and a slight uptick in covid.

Seems pretty common for this time of year. Just wash the hands and don't eyes, mouth, nose with dirty ones. That should help immensely! Happy Holidays, Everyone!

• Like 2

On Caribbean Princess from 11/13 to 11/23. Almost zero masking on the ship, passengers or crew and virtually none on shore. If there was any Covid, we didn't hear about it. We are vaxxed with 2 boosters and also had our flu shots. Tested after being home 3 days just to be sure..both negative.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

Where I live, infection rates have risen steadily since Thanksgiving and continue to climb.  (I won't use the word "spike" as that seems to be a trigger for some people.)  In addition to rates rising, hospitalizations have risen dramatically as well.  I assume that people don't go to the hospital unless they are "sick".  Now, the numbers are nowhere near where they were at the peak of Covid, but they are certainly way, way higher than they were two months ago.  400 is more than 40, but it isn't 2,000 if you follow. 

I certainly cannot extrapolate what I am seeing in my part of the world (and workplace...pretty big Covid numbers there as well), to the cruise industry, but I don't think that it a leap to predict that the number of Covid+ people who will board ships  in the next month will be higher than last month, and the number of Covid+ people disembarking after their cruise will also be higher than last month.  But at this point, as noted, people need to take whatever precautions they think they need to take, and evaluate how important it is to them to remain Covid-free.  I think that by this point, everyone should be on the same page that if you board a cruise ship, or go to a shopping mall, or sporting event, or anywhere where there is a large crowd, there is a risk that you may contract Covid.  And the epidemiologists have been spot-on so far that from Thanksgiving through the two weeks after New Years, the numbers will increase.  No reason to think that this year will be any different.       

Hospitalizations in Arizona are at 100% of capacity in several local hospitals.  Flu is rampant this year after reduced interpersonal contacts reduced flu numbers to almost zero in 2020/2021.  Lots of RSV in children as well. Combine a couple viruses and you have a problem.  A big one here.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, sabreline said:

On Caribbean Princess from 11/13 to 11/23. Almost zero masking on the ship, passengers or crew and virtually none on shore. If there was any Covid, we didn't hear about it. We are vaxxed with 2 boosters and also had our flu shots. Tested after being home 3 days just to be sure..both negative.

Sounds OK to me. I'm probably safer on the ship then shopping during Christmas time in a crowded store here in Florida. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Hospitalizations in Arizona are at 100% of capacity in several local hospitals.  Flu is rampant this year after reduced interpersonal contacts reduced flu numbers to almost zero in 2020/2021.  Lots of RSV in children as well. Combine a couple viruses and you have a problem.  A big one here.

In my opinion, "hospitals at capacity" is a bit misleading and risks being misused by the media as sensationalism.

Hospitals would like to be at 100% capacity. They are a business. Moreover, hospitals cannot control the number of people who come in their doors with conditions that are not hospital-worthy. Many people come to the ER with tummy aches that turn out to be gas or flu that really just needs rest and chicken soup. They do their best to deal with these folks using triage. 

Given these realities, it is hard to use "100% capacity" as some indicator of crisis.

Cold and flu season got its name many years ago. This is just typical.

On a ship I think there are many things you can do to cut your risk down like handwashing, etc. I for one am more worried about noro. Having had both in the last two years. Noro almost sent me to the hospital. Covid inconvenienced me.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

Norovirus outbreak on Discovery over Thanksgiving week.  There was also COVID too. 

Easy to tell who doesn't wash their hands before sticking their fingers in their mouth or touching food that's going into their mouth.  Noro is spread by the fecal - oral route.  Easy to prevent catching it. Just break the chain by washing your hands.

I have little sympathy for anyone who catches noro.

Just wash your dam hands.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

Easy to tell who doesn't wash their hands before sticking their fingers in their mouth or touching food that's going into their mouth.  Noro is spread by the fecal - oral route.  Easy to prevent catching it. Just break the chain by washing your hands.

I have little sympathy for anyone who catches noro.

Just wash your dam hands.

It’s also IN food. Like salads, etc. Can be spread by just eating, if in the food.

Also, utensils in the buffet.  So, you have to sanitize your hands after touching those too.

Not much you can do if it’s in the food you’re eating.  

• Like 1