Alarm clock question

4 hours ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

WOW - are you folks bringing VHS players too?

No, but only because it's too big to fit in my carry on. Wouldn't want to risk putting it in my checked luggage. 😂

Seriously, though, I do still have one AND it still works. They made things to last back in the day.

2 hours ago, FionaMG said:

No, but only because it's too big to fit in my carry on. Wouldn't want to risk putting it in my checked luggage. 😂

Seriously, though, I do still have one AND it still works. They made things to last back in the day.

Our remaining one works as well but I prefer the ease of viewing via digital plus the tapes do not hold up well after decades which makes the VCRs not very useful.  

47 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

Our remaining one works as well but I prefer the ease of viewing via digital plus the tapes do not hold up well after decades which makes the VCRs not very useful.  

Oh, for sure. Ours is a DVD/VHR combo which is partially why we still have it, as well as occasionally re-watching now very grainy family holiday tapes from way back.

1 hour ago, FionaMG said:

Oh, for sure. Ours is a DVD/VHR combo which is partially why we still have it, as well as occasionally re-watching now very grainy family holiday tapes from way back.

that's the only reason we have it.  We are actually converting all so we don't lose them.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2022 at 2:15 PM, Mum2Mercury said:

I'm not inclined to use my cell phone as an alarm clock -- but I'm glad to hear that several of you have successfully scheduled wake-up calls through the ship's phone. 

Thanks!  One less thing to bring. 

I'm genuinely curious why one would not use their cell phone as an alarm clock. Not trying to offend--just curious. 

I have a camera but don't use it anymore. The cell phone works for that. Royal Caribbean doesn't seem to want to print the Cruise Compass anymore. The app's for that. I used to bring walkie-talkies. Now we can use chat for free. It just seems natural to me to use the cell phone alarm clock as well.

I do bring paper copies of boarding passes and shore excursion receipts, but that is just because I have waited behind people in line fumbling through their phone trying to get the bar code to show rather than just breezing through with paper copies at hand.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MightyMike said:

I'm genuinely curious why one would not use their cell phone as an alarm clock. Not trying to offend--just curious. 

One of the things I really enjoy about a cruise is being able to put my phone in the safe on the first day, and not get it back out until it's time to get off the ship.  I use my phone all the time, so it's nice to take a break from using it.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, MightyMike said:

I have a camera but don't use it anymore. The cell phone works for that. Royal Caribbean doesn't seem to want to print the Cruise Compass anymore. The app's for that. I used to bring walkie-talkies. Now we can use chat for free. It just seems natural to me to use the cell phone alarm clock as well.

I do bring paper copies of boarding passes and shore excursion receipts, but that is just because I have waited behind people in line fumbling through their phone trying to get the bar code to show rather than just breezing through with paper copies at hand.

My DH is so technologically challenged that he has yet to figure out how to use his cell phone as an alarm clock. Of course, that would also apply to the wake-up service on the cabin's phone... Guess who is always in charge of making sure we get up when we need to...? (no prizes, not even a key fob)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MightyMike said:

We typically do use the alarms on our phones, but on this last cruise, our phones switched to Cozumel time, which was different than ship's time, and stayed that way for the next sea day. In fact, the phones switched back to the correct time DURING THE LAST NIGHT even while still in airplane mode, so the alarm that we had set (allowing for the time difference) was wrong. We anticipated this might happen, but we weren't 100% sure, so we also used the wakeup call service on the cabin phone, and it was a good thing we did.

Edited by TravelGirlinDallas

I use either my cell phone/tablet or the room phone depending on (1) whether an electrical outlet for my bedside charger is available and or (2) which side of the bed the telephone is on. 

However, since we are starting to revisit more and more of the same ports and not doing shore excursions that require us to be up and ready to leave the ship early, there are many mornings where we do not even bother with setting an alarm or a wakeup phone call.  

4 hours ago, MightyMike said:

- I don't want to deal with time zone changes. 

- When I wake in the night, I like to see the time without reaching out and touching the phone to activate it -- that seems to "wake me up more".  

- My phone is kinda old, and the battery doesn't have a great life -- that's a temporary issue; I'll probably have replaced my phone by the time I sail again next fall.  

- If my phone needs charging, it'll be over on the desk, not next to my bed.  

As former photography teacher, I promise you, I get better pictures with my camera than with my phone.  

8 hours ago, MightyMike said:

For me, a few reasons.  One, when I wake up in the middle of the night, I like to see what time it is.  I don't want to have to fiddle with a phone to get the time.  I know can make my phone's clock stay on the screen, but then I have to either pick it up and look at it or bring a charging stand. Also, I have my phone set to go intot total no sound, no light, and no vibrate mode at night.  I don't need to be woken at 4am by an alert that Amazon recommends something to go with the crap I bought last week or that my car warranty has expired.. 

Instead of thos hassles, I travel with a small LED alarm clock that projects the time on the ceiling.  All I have to do is open one eye and look up to see what time it is.  It's USB powered and also has an extra USB charging port.  To me, it's much more convenient that using the phone.  Having said that, I rarely ever set an alarm.  I usually wake up around 5-6am naturally, so unless I need to get up earlier than that for some reason, no alarm is necessary.  

• Thanks 1

Alarm clocks plugged into the ship power is a problem. I don't think it does any damage, but it loses time.(or maybe it's gains. It's been years since I took one.) When I first started using one, as the cruise went along, I noticed being late for dinner and other things. Couldn't figure out why till I compared my watch to the clock and saw it was like 10 minutes off. It's nothing you can't account for, but it is a real thing.

Now I just use my cell phone. I get cord long enough to put it on the nightstand by the bed and put it in airplane mode and make sure wifi's off. No time changes, no alerts, no dead battery and I have a clock and alarm clock within reach just like I would at home. To each their own though. 

13 hours ago, MightyMike said:

I don’t use my cell phone as an alarm clock, because I totally power off my phone while charging overnight.  I like a digital travel alarm with batteries so that I know what time it is when I wake up during the night.

Well, I respect that a person wants to disconnect for vacation, and only focus on vacation, but my $800 phone is not just a phone.  Plus personally, I don't really understand why you want to completely disconnect from the world.  But I get it.  So, my $800 phone, is my camera, it is my alarm clock, it keeps me from getting lost, gives me info when I need it in ports such as nearby good places to eat.  Older time ships, had a daily news not, if I want, I can read it on phone, but I like reading the news.  Was a newspaper at one time, but now my phone, but that is a tool on my phone. Not to mention, it has the RCCL app, sends me reminders of upcoming events etc.  I'm on vacation to relax, but, part of relaxing is having my modern tools, to help me when needed. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, fsjosh said:

Alarm clocks plugged into the ship power is a problem. I don't think it does any damage, but it loses time.(or maybe it's gains. It's been years since I took one.) When I first started using one, as the cruise went along, I noticed being late for dinner and other things. Couldn't figure out why till I compared my watch to the clock and saw it was like 10 minutes off. It's nothing you can't account for, but it is a real thing.

Modern electronic clocks should be totally unaffected by variations in the ship's power.  Old fashioned motors that relied on 60hz power for timing might have been, but modern clocks that convert power to DC voltage and use quartz timing chips should be totally unaffected.

7 hours ago, rudeney said:

Modern electronic clocks should be totally unaffected by variations in the ship's power.  Old fashioned motors that relied on 60hz power for timing might have been, but modern clocks that convert power to DC voltage and use quartz timing chips should be totally unaffected.

This would have been a digital clock in the 2005-2010 range last time I took one. No motors on it. Not sure why, I just know it was losing time. 

On 12/15/2022 at 5:02 PM, rudeney said:

For me, a few reasons.  One, when I wake up in the middle of the night, I like to see what time it is.  I don't want to have to fiddle with a phone to get the time.  I know can make my phone's clock stay on the screen, but then I have to either pick it up and look at it or bring a charging stand. Also, I have my phone set to go intot total no sound, no light, and no vibrate mode at night.  I don't need to be woken at 4am by an alert that Amazon recommends something to go with the crap I bought last week or that my car warranty has expired.. 

Instead of thos hassles, I travel with a small LED alarm clock that projects the time on the ceiling.  All I have to do is open one eye and look up to see what time it is.  It's USB powered and also has an extra USB charging port.  To me, it's much more convenient that using the phone.  Having said that, I rarely ever set an alarm.  I usually wake up around 5-6am naturally, so unless I need to get up earlier than that for some reason, no alarm is necessary.  

That’s me.  I somehow have an internal alarm clock and have never overslept in my adult life. It’s a great little talent .  Unfortunately I have retired and there is no snooze button in my head!!!

On 12/16/2022 at 10:43 AM, rudeney said:

It can be a real thing... https://nlhydro.com/good-to-know/how-electricity-can-affect-our-clocks/

I wonder how many of those basic alarm clocks are affected by frequency - I know ours was - but that was 16 years ago on our cruise.  Haven't tried a newer clock.   But that article I linked above was from 2022. 

20 hours ago, Toddcan said:

It can be a real thing... https://nlhydro.com/good-to-know/how-electricity-can-affect-our-clocks/

I wonder how many of those basic alarm clocks are affected by frequency - I know ours was - but that was 16 years ago on our cruise.  Haven't tried a newer clock.   But that article I linked above was from 2022. 

I guess it depends on whether the timing circuit relies on a 60hz AC power feed or if it uses a quartz crystal on a DC circuit.  Once converted to DC there is no timing.  The clock I travel with uses a USB power supply so it's definitely not affected by AC frequency variations.  

On 12/15/2022 at 1:35 PM, Mum2Mercury said:

- I don't want to deal with time zone changes. 

- When I wake in the night, I like to see the time without reaching out and touching the phone to activate it -- that seems to "wake me up more".  

- My phone is kinda old, and the battery doesn't have a great life -- that's a temporary issue; I'll probably have replaced my phone by the time I sail again next fall.  

- If my phone needs charging, it'll be over on the desk, not next to my bed.  

As former photography teacher, I promise you, I get better pictures with my camera than with my phone.  

I also cannot look at a screen as it wakes me up more as well. However, I end up going the lazy route.... "Hey Siri, what time is it?" which tends to annoy my other half who gets woken up by her voice when she responds. 🙄  Another reason why I like cruising Solo... 🤣