Is there any dress code at all in the dining room?

ontheweb

2 hours ago, SeaShark said:

Being that your claimed position is that you "never pay attention" to how others dress, then why would you come into a thread just to brag about what you wear in a specific restaurant? As far as you know (since you NEVER pay attention), everyone else is dressing just as you do which negates your reason for bragging.

I already answered that.  It amuses me. 🤣  On the ship, sure, they could be dressing the same as me.  Good for them!  I mainly share my preferences in response to posters who act as dress code police.  I didn't think you were that up tight, but I may have been mistaken??

2 hours ago, pookel said:

Yeah but I have actual *formalwear* that's as comfy as pajamas. Literally, a beaded evening gown I could take a nap in comfortably. I don't think anyone's yet invented a three-piece suit like that. 

I was talking about cotton sweats and slippers.  Who said anything about a three-piece suit??  Yikes!!

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, complawyer said:

seashark, there is a difference between caring about the topic of what people wear and commenting about it.

by the way, your comment to chiefmatejrk, (and the recent comment) added nothing to the discussion and totally unnessesary

Thanks, friend.  Apparently, responding to a meaningless thread on the internet is the same as wasting my vacation policing what others are wearing in dress code inhibited venues on a cruise ship.  Logic doesn't work for some.  For us old retired guys, I think we get it. 😎

8 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I already answered that.  It amuses me. 🤣  On the ship, sure, they could be dressing the same as me.  Good for them!  I mainly share my preferences in response to posters who act as dress code police.  I didn't think you were that up tight, but I may have been mistaken??

But you didn't...if it actually amused you then, by definition, you would have paid attention to dress, which you are now trying to claim that you "never" do. Gotta pick one.

9 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I was talking about cotton sweats and slippers.  Who said anything about a three-piece suit??  Yikes!!

Someone should invent that though, because wouldn't it be cool if you could look appropriately dressed for a formal wedding while you're still comfortable?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SeaShark said:

But you didn't...if it actually amused you then, by definition, you would have paid attention to dress, which you are now trying to claim that you "never" do. Gotta pick one.

Not at all.  You must have misunderstood my comments.  You asked why I read/posted this thread.  I answered your question.  It amuses me that people on the forum get worked up over people who don't want to strictly adhere to silly dress codes.  I think I answered that for you three times now.  I'm not sure how else I can help you out.  I honestly don't spend my vacation playing fashion police on a cruise ship.  Glass houses and all....  🤣

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Not at all.  You must have misunderstood my comments.  You asked why I read/posted this thread.  I answered your question.  It amuses me that people on the forum get worked up over people who don't want to strictly adhere to silly dress codes.  I think I answered that for you three times now.  I'm not sure how else I can help you out.  I honestly don't spend my vacation playing fashion police on a cruise ship.  Glass houses and all....  🤣

No, I understood. What you fail to understand is that I didn't just ask why you read/posted this thread, I asked why you did so since doing so was in direct conflict with your "never pay attention" claim. It is that conflict which you continually fail to address. All you've done is point out how you try to clash with the dress code that you "never" pay attention to...yet, another glaring conflict.

2 hours ago, pookel said:

Someone should invent that though, because wouldn't it be cool if you could look appropriately dressed for a formal wedding while you're still comfortable?

You obviously never watched "How I Met Your Mother" 😉

(BTW...you can buy them on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Mother-Black-Pajama-White-Medium/dp/B0085NX5GU)

Dress code on Escape (3-17 Dec 2022) was posted on signs near restaurants and these cards (copy attached) were stacked at the check-in stations at specialty restaurants. I took this card from LaCucina and asked the check-in maître d about the reason for updating the policy and for the cards.  He said that people were ignoring the dress code and more people were being turned away to change clothes. In particular folks coming to specialty restaurants in swimsuits, or swimsuits and sheer coverups. I believe the policy update and increased visibility was to give him something to point at/hand out when he felt he had to turn someone away.  

NCL Escape Dress Code.jpg

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Portia! said:

Dress code on Escape (3-17 Dec 2022) was posted on signs near restaurants and these cards (copy attached) were stacked at the check-in stations at specialty restaurants. I took this card from LaCucina and asked the check-in maître d about the reason for updating the policy and for the cards.  He said that people were ignoring the dress code and more people were being turned away to change clothes. In particular folks coming to specialty restaurants in swimsuits, or swimsuits and sheer coverups. I believe the policy update and increased visibility was to give him something to point at/hand out when he felt he had to turn someone away.  

NCL Escape Dress Code.jpg

Looks like my butler would be extremely busy on this cruise as I wouldn't be fitting into their dress code. I'm surprised the Escape considers La Cucina one of the upscale specialty restaurants. I always thought it was just Le Bistro, Ocean Blue, and I can't keep track of whatever is going on with the Prima. 

image.thumb.png.034b68c2704f64d9253e82991abcffbc.png

Also, I'm a wee bit surprised that under "Cruise Casual" it states flippie floppies are not permitted. I've never been turned away, nor did I know. I know I claim to adhere to dress codes so as not to give the staff a hard time, but I'm afraid that one will get a big ole nope from me. I'll be sure to go get my muddy, wet shore excursion sneakers, but I'll also bring my flippie floppies, towel, bathing suit and lay them on top of the table for all to see/smell....ok, the table top is my dream. My husband wouldn't allow that. 

The flippie floppies, towel, and anything else I can think of will absolutely grace a chair and get it wet, or perhaps be splayed across the floor so that they are extremely noticeable to anyone, and everyone, in the restaurant/dining room. Not allowing me to wear my flippie floppies is beyond the pale and I won't tolerate it. That maître d will see me coming next time and just let me in with my flippies, so I don't have to make my production show of trashy items (which includes the nasty, stinking sneakers). 

Yep, it's that important to me...but I'll still be adhering to the dress code, except I'll slip the sneakers off when I'm at the table eating. Yes, I do that when I'm on land in fancy arse restaurants. No server has ever told me to put my sneakers back on. 

seashark. hopefully this is the last time i need to comment on this. 1st off, everyone who has ever sailed on an ncl ship is aware that it's casual, except for a few chosen restaurants, and even then, it's limited to collared shirts for men (which is why i usually avoid le bistro) 2nd , i'm with chiefmate jrk 100%. i not only wear sweat pants and slippers, i usually dont wear socks either. when someone comes into a restaurant, one may look up to see who it is, but their interest in that diners clothing should end there. really, who cares what someone else is wearing, unless youre a male and incomes a drop dead gorgeous woman (sexist comment, i  know)

but most important, is why are you making such an issue about chiefmrkjrk's post?

one of my favorite lines from a movie is " the likelihood of someone being right, increases in direct proportion with the intensity of  someone trying to prove them wrong'

of to quote Shakespear, "methinks the lady doth protest to much"

so, my dear seashark, if the the shoe fits etc.  

why dont you just drop it. i know that you are both contributors to these post, but really, who cares what anyone else is wearing? so why dont you :quote Lennon and Macartney   "let it be"

• Haha 3

20 hours ago, pookel said:

Seems like a largely male issue tbh .... This is one area where women are lucky, I think. We have a ton of options for simple comfy clothes that are also appropriate even as formal wear. 

honestly in this day and age I’m waiting to see some guy challenge the sexism in the dress code, if dressy flip flops and a knee length skirt or dress along with a sleeveless top are acceptable for women why not the same for the guys?

There was a case in Northern Europe a few years ago where male employees had to wear uniform trousers even when the weather was scorching hot while their female colleagues could go for shorter uniform skirts, the men decided to get the skirts since they weren’t allowed to wear shorts so their employer had to cave and add shorts to the uniform options. 

now if someone tries to inflict closed toe shoes on me on a warm weather cruise they’ll hear the air turn blue pretty rapidly as my feet swell too badly to fit shoes easily in those conditions. 

4 minutes ago, eileeshb said:

honestly in this day and age I’m waiting to see some guy challenge the sexism in the dress code, if dressy flip flops and a knee length skirt or dress along with a sleeveless top are acceptable for women why not the same for the guys?

There was a case in Northern Europe a few years ago where male employees had to wear uniform trousers even when the weather was scorching hot while their female colleagues could go for shorter uniform skirts, the men decided to get the skirts since they weren’t allowed to wear shorts so their employer had to cave and add shorts to the uniform options. 

now if someone tries to inflict closed toe shoes on me on a warm weather cruise they’ll hear the air turn blue pretty rapidly as my feet swell too badly to fit shoes easily in those conditions. 

I suppose I could wear a kilt and I bet no maître d would ask me to change my heels if they showed exposed foot. Men's feet are quite nasty (especially mine), but it doesn't matter. I'm not there for anyone's feet (if you are, I'm not judging). 

For your closed toe shoe, perhaps a doctor's note would clear you for some flippie floppie action! 

I wouldn't want to give a member of the ship's crew too much trouble, so that's why I do truly try to follow dress codes. The flippie floppies is where I'll lose it and become a Karen. Y'all better have your phones out to record me for everyone's entertainment! 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, eileeshb said:

I did wonder about this.  

If women can wear skirts and allow their legs to be free even in the fanciest of restaurants, shouldn’t men also be able to wear skirts?  Not just kilts, but any skirt they wanted.  Or dress, if that floats their boat.  

And if women can wear fancy high heals with peekaboo toes, shouldn’t men also be allowed to wear similar shoes? 

Free style Cruises can have standards on dress but truly free styling would allow everyone to follow the same standards.

Skirts and dresses as an option for all, open toes as an option for all if they are dress shoes.  And before people come back and say “well what is a dressy shoe?” I think we all know the difference between a high heel, nice sandals, and flip flops.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, SunshineGal2022 said:

Skirts and dresses as an option for all, open toes as an option for all if they are dress shoes.  And before people come back and say “well what is a dressy shoe?” I think we all know the difference between a high heel, nice sandals, and flip flops.

You say that, but actually there are some borderline cases. I had a really nice pair of sandals once that were "flip-flop" shape but were much nicer than your typical beach flip-flops. Like this sort of thing:

image.png.701553b4315be5b4379d5106508a2e95.png

Just now, pookel said:

You say that, but actually there are some borderline cases. I had a really nice pair of sandals once that were "flip-flop" shape but were much nicer than your typical beach flip-flops. Like this sort of thing:

image.png.701553b4315be5b4379d5106508a2e95.png

I would argue that those should be considered "toe-post sandals" just as my expensive Vionics are called.  I would say that "flip-flops" would be considered more in the order of those $2 Old Navy flip-flops that everyone wears to the beach.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SeaShark said:

All you've done is point out how you try to clash with the dress code that you "never" pay attention to...yet, another glaring conflict.

Actually, I fully comply with the dress codes.  I have pants and closed toe footwear.  I've shared this for the benefit of other relaxed people who value comfort and couldn't care less what others on the ship (or on this forum) think.  Why are you so concerned with this?

56 minutes ago, Schoifmom said:

I would argue that those should be considered "toe-post sandals" just as my expensive Vionics are called.  I would say that "flip-flops" would be considered more in the order of those $2 Old Navy flip-flops that everyone wears to the beach.

Those definitely look flippie floppie to me! I'm not a girl and don't understand perceptions when females do dress up, but I'd definitely think of this as not dressy at all. 

This is interesting, thanks for discussing! 

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

I suppose I could wear a kilt 

I do remember on one of our first cruises (not NCL) when formal still meant formal, there was a gentleman (presumably) a Scotsman, wearing a kilt.

I wonder if there are formal and informal kilts. 🤣

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I do remember on one of our first cruises (not NCL) when formal still meant formal, there was a gentleman (presumably) a Scotsman, wearing a kilt.

I wonder if there are formal and informal kilts. 🤣

I wonder if he used the glass stairs in the atrium.

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Those definitely look flippie floppie to me! I'm not a girl and don't understand perceptions when females do dress up, but I'd definitely think of this as not dressy at all. 

This is interesting, thanks for discussing! 

Hint:  if the sole is leather, it's automatically dressier than a plastic beach flip flop 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, trivimp said:

Hint:  if the sole is leather, it's automatically dressier than a plastic beach flip flop 

Hmmm, so these are dressy and should be allowed for men! Leather insole and thongy thing.

image.png.f3e3325743569becce74af9338b93a6a.png

Source: https://www.matchesfashion.com/us/products/1488768?country=USA&qxjkl=tsid:38929|cgn:J84DHJLQkR4&c3ch=LinkShare&c3nid=J84DHJLQkR4&utm_source=linkshare&utm_medium=affiliation&utm_campaign=us&utm_content=J84DHJLQkR4&rffrid=aff.linkshare.1808364.37420

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The last time I cruised was in Dec. of 2019 right before the shutdown.NCL really didn't have

much of a dress code.When we cruise  I just adjust where I am sitting if within my eyesight there is something really un appetizing  to look at. LOL Like someone using a steak knife as a toothpick or really hideous looking feet that the person decides to take their sandals off and cross their legs so they are more or less at table top level. 

• Haha 1