Worth it to get drinks at specialty restaurants but not eat?

weirtdnr

Hi all,

My fiance and I are going on the Apex sailing leaving from Fort Lauderdale on Dec 23. We are staying in Aqua class and I've read that Blu can get busy/filled and require a wait for dinner at times. I was wondering if it's possible (and worth it) to go get some drinks around the ship at the specialty restaurants. I saw they have some special cocktails and I assume there are some exclusive wines/beers at some, so we figured going to those to kill time might not be a bad idea. Thoughts?

Also, any advice in general for this sailing is welcome! I went on the Celebrity Equinox back in 2017, but it seems a bunch of things have changed in the past 5 years.

Thanks in advance!

Except for the bar at Eden, which is above the restaurant and not part of it, the Specialty restaurants don't have bars. If you go to dinner at one you can order a drink and it will most likely come from a nearby bar.  If you see something on a menu that you want to try see if you can order it from a bar.

It's been challenging to get reservations at specialty restaurants on Edge class ships (Apex, Beyond) in the past month even for the suite guests. Your cruise being in the week of Xmas, my guess is that reservations will be hard to come by and I don't think they will let you occupy a table just for specialty drinks (without dinner reservation)

Edited by ETHTrader

39 minutes ago, ETHTrader said:

It's been challenging to get reservations at specialty restaurants on Edge class ships (Apex, Beyond) in the past month even for the suite guests. Your cruise being in the week of Xmas, my guess is that reservations will be hard to come by and I don't think they will let you occupy a table just for specialty drinks (without dinner reservation)

Nor should they, esp when there are so many wonderful non-restaurant locations to get a drink

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, ETHTrader said:

Correct.  You cannot just go in for a drink.  They are dining venues.  With steep cover charges.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ETHTrader said:

And if they did, I'd expect them to NOT waive the specialty restaurant cover charge and to charge them for drinks just as if they were dining in the restaurant.

I wonder if it’s possible to order the specialty drink in Blu if you knew the name and restaurant?  We’ve had sommeliers go out of their way to make something happen.  The worst that could happen is”no.”

1 minute ago, PRH said:

I wonder if it’s possible to order the specialty drink in Blu if you knew the name and restaurant?  We’ve had sommeliers go out of their way to make something happen.  The worst that could happen is”no.”

I suppose they could if they had the ingredients readily available.  But just because they can/will go out of their way to please a guest, I'd not make then run all over the ship to find a bar with the ingredients when I could easily get the drink later after dinner.  Easy for me to say as I do not drink LOL.

• Like 2

On the Apex last June, a group of 4 met in the Raw on 4, around 6 pm, we had some of their specialty drinks and ordered a few appetizers, the food was a la carte. Drinks on the card.

The restaurant was not busy at that time and we were welcomed there. And the food/drinks were yummy.