LIVE from the Koningsdam Holiday Sailing - Dec. 17th - Jan 7th - exploring my first Pinnacle Class ship 🤞

kazu

18 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Rodel.....................but close again 😉 Enjoying your excellent reporting, keep it up! 🧐

We have had him on a few cruises and he has become a friend. Looking forward to seeing him on Thursday!

• Like 1

Aloha. Love your posts and especially the food pictures! Sorry again about the foot and lecture. We had an issue with a “lecture” on a long Princess Cruise.  I called their headquarters and the Captain came to our stateroom

and apologized to my wife personally. I’m not one to complain when on vacation but that day I had to be a New Yorker and not a Hawaiian 🌺 

Not something I relished but a necessity for that situation. Blessings.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Cruise NH said:

On Cunard I've seen them mark off two stripes with tape some distance apart and you have to prove that you can do that distance with a step.  I haven't actually seen anyone tested but I've seen the tape stripes put down and we were told what they were for.  I think it's important to make sure people can safely get in and out of a tender especially when there have been deaths associated with that activity. 

Obviously it's not safe for the crew who are helping out either.  I've seen some extremely heavy people get helped into a tender and it was all the crew could do to balance them.

That said, they probably need to be more transparent about the whole thing and how people are 'chosen' for the process. 

I was capable thanks.. I didn’t get on last week for a reason,

And I did quite well 😉 

5 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I have seen the testing on Cunard. Everyone has to show they can step over the distance. One time they had a mat on the floor that was the distance to be stepped across. People had no idea why it was there. Some walked around it, and some just stepped on it in stride on their way to get tender tickets. Then crew would have to explain and make them try again. 

Jacqui, I love your response to the lecture about tenders. Sometimes staff can get condescending and need to be reminded that some passengers actually have a clue!

Thanks - I do know what’s involved with tenders (or as my DD DH - stands for Dearly Departed DH). Used to say. - they are not tenders  they are roughers.  LOL

3 hours ago, madera1 said:

It will be nice to meet so many that I have followed on Cruise Critic since 2010!

Looking forward to seeing you soon.

For any widows or widowers out there who want to”run away from home” as I did - serious warning - it doesn’t fix anything

• Like 12
  • Thanks 7

Good morning Jacqui.  I love hearing your stories about your DD DH.  You are brave to share your memories and to continue to make new ones. There is no magical way to cope with your pain so be gentle and patient with yourself.  Tina 

676CAC87-947F-46F0-8ED6-E775F79AEA3B.webp.87f1e2119b603d508d1a14dbc895cb54.webp

• Like 17

6 hours ago, kazu said:

For any widows or widowers out there who want to”run away from home” as I did - serious warning - it doesn’t fix anything

It’s funny how alone you can feel when you’re surrounded by people.  On my first foray, I remember saying to a sympathetic soul:  “I thought I could do this.”  But if I hadn’t, I would have been more steps back than forward.  Progress is progress, even when we don’t recognize it.

I have been enjoying your voyage and I hope your day is full of love and laughter and new adventures.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, everyone!  🎄

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, kazu said:

Here is tonight’s menu for the MDR (not sure yet what the CO special is)

8A643596-610F-48F9-BC67-0F8D0F934109.thumb.png.d1167da64e83d10a2732f08e62ec7929.png

8738802C-845C-4DB4-8374-C95DDB0B4B48.thumb.png.ba6acf622e8a88640b0e752196212230.png

D0CFC0AE-84E5-4363-B2D3-307562228858.thumb.png.0cbb54c22184afd178c24d88db749162.png

This must be fleet wide. We had the same menu for Christmas Eve on N. Statendam and also had the crew Christmas concert, it was spectacular. I love watching the crew sing. They love it and so does the audience.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ski ww said:

Merry Christmas Jacqui. Yes it may not fix anything, but it can bring back all the good memories that you both make together.

Allan & Marlane

1 hour ago, 0106 said:

Good morning Jacqui.  I love hearing your stories about your DD DH.  You are brave to share your memories and to continue to make new ones. There is no magical way to cope with your pain so be gentle and patient with yourself.  Tina 

676CAC87-947F-46F0-8ED6-E775F79AEA3B.webp.87f1e2119b603d508d1a14dbc895cb54.webp

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

It’s funny how alone you can feel when you’re surrounded by people.  On my first foray, I remember saying to a sympathetic soul:  “I thought I could do this.”  But if I hadn’t, I would have been more steps back than forward.  Progress is progress, even when we don’t recognize it.

I have been enjoying your voyage and I hope your day is full of love and laughter and new adventures.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, everyone!  🎄

Thanks and Merry Christmas to you all 🎄 

• Like 9

Certainly hope that Holland America extend the hours in the Lido buffet which are presently Ridiculous. We’re on Princess presently and was on Koningsdam at.the beginning of December and to be back on her in January. Princess Buffet hours are as follows…. Breakfast till 11:30am….Lunch till 3:30….Dinner till 10:00pm. When on vacation you like to eat later which is a nice thing to be able to do. Holland America needs to get with the times with their Buffet hours which are … Breakfast till 10:00am…. Lunch till 2:00 pm …. Dinner till 8:00pm. 

Edited by pamps2801
  • Like 4

Kazu,

I just wanted to thank you for doing this thread. It is wonderful to follow along with you and interesting as we’ve never cruised during Christmas holidays. 
Your recent comment brought a tear to my eye, and my thoughts are with you. I’m sure you know you have a lot of support from cruisers you’ve met and even those (like me) that you haven’t. 

• Like 11

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

@kazu

Dearest Jacqui

I wanted to personally extend to you my sincere 

Holiday wishes for a beautiful Christmas for you and your remembrance of your beloved Jose. He still is the twinkle in your eyes, the deep love in your heart, and he is guiding you all the way on your journey. God Bless you always, fill your heart with joy. I deeply care as well as so many in your CC family!

Here is a painting of my Paisley I did back in 2020. We love our puppies!

Merry Christmas Jacqui🎄Denise

image.thumb.jpeg.a475b62b763f7f2852e5439623727ead.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

On 12/23/2022 at 6:42 PM, Copper10-8 said:

Most certainly however, I wouldn't want to be known as a WWII Japanese fighter plane, would you? 😳

There was a Private Zero in the Beetle Bailey comic strip. Naive, rather dimwitted farm boy from Cornpone, Nebraska.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, kazu said:

I know what you mean. The first Christmas is the hardest. The loss is there, whether you're in the same surroundings or somewhere different. But a temporary distraction helps a little. Christmas morning was a ritual for us--champagne, cookies, opening Christmas stockings. I still start the day with fizz and cookies, even if I am by myself. as I am this year (Covid in the family cancelled our get-together). But my DD DH was with me in my heart as I remembered past Christmasses. And I know Jose is with you. So raise a glass to his memory and share the day's festivities virtually with him. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, kazu said:
16 hours ago, Cruise NH said:

I was capable thanks.. I didn’t get on last week for a reason,

And I did quite well 😉 

16 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I have seen the testing on Cunard. Everyone has to show they can step over the distance. One time they had a mat on the floor that was the distance to be stepped across. People had no idea why it was there. Some walked around it, and some just stepped on it in stride on their way to get tender tickets. Then crew would have to explain and make them try again. 

Jacqui, I love your response to the lecture about tenders. Sometimes staff can get condescending and need to be reminded that some passengers actually have a clue!

Expand  

Thanks - I do know what’s involved with tenders (or as my DD DH - stands for Dearly Departed DH). Used to say. - they are not tenders  they are roughers.  LOL

13 hours ago, madera1 said:

It will be nice to meet so many that I have followed on Cruise Critic since 2010!

Looking forward to seeing you soon.

Glad to hear you let them know!  one size doesn’t fit all!  

sadly when we run away our emotions  still come with us.   But that’s ok!  I am hoping the new experiences will help you heal and the wonderful memories of Jose’ will help comfort you. 
Merry Christmas!  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sunviking90 said:

I completely agree! We were on the Zuiderdam in August and returned to the ship around 3 ish and the buffet was closing. Nothing! Not even the usual Pizza/pasta section open. We were told to go to the Dive In which had a line up about 30 people deep. Um, and maybe I don’t feel like a burger? Explorations cafe was also no longer as they’ve combined it with the bar, so no snacks there anymore. Ended up getting room service, and they were very busy of course. This was a full ship too. Contrast to Princess and Celebrity which we also cruised on this year, and the buffet always had multiple choices at any time of the day, in addition to the snacks available at the coffee places. We love HAL, but they need to work on the management of the Lido for sure.
I will say that HAL room service is wonderful though, and they always call to follow up to make sure things are right. A really nice touch.

We came back from an excursion in Alaska in August and every place to get food was closed.   We headed to the Neptune Lounge for a snack and the steward was removing all the food items and not replacing them until later in the day.   We discovered that HAL is a food desert at times.   We walked to every food venue on the Nieuw Amsterdam and none of them had food available.  The bars, however, were serving drinks.  We could have asked for peanuts, maybe.

At least one venue needs to be open for hungry people returning from excursions!  

• Like 4

@kazu, wishing you a Christmas that you can look back on, remembering that you made it through the first one and that the following ones were a little bit easier.   Maurice and I wish you peace, comfort, lots of wine, and some smiles today.  Cheers!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, kazu said:

For any widows or widowers out there who want to”run away from home” as I did - serious warning - it doesn’t fix anything

@kazuI did the same thing, run away from home on a cruise alone the 2nd Christmas after my DD/DH passed. You are right it doesn't fix anything; at least not at the time. In retrospect I am very glad that I did that as it was much better next time I cruised alone.  Each of us grieve in our own way and in our own time. If you ever need someone I am happy to be a heart with ears and eyes for you.

Jane

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Ahhh, thanks everyone for the kind comments ♥️ 

We are in Mazatlan today and my firends and I decided to take advantage of a semi- empty ship 😉. It is Christmas day and many things should be closed.  We’ll be back next week anyways 😉 

Here is today’s Daily and yes Santa Claus did come for the children.

52FE32E2-F1ED-47CF-87FD-6E6619CC59E8.thumb.jpeg.2067a12aa4876844255ab49e059a62ab.jpeg

71E7F32B-843B-4F9A-94FC-A4F83C6A6EC8.thumb.jpeg.5be34f1bea63f050255aa3c06f307aff.jpeg

9913A1ED-DFAD-4E38-9615-97F37959E7C1.thumb.jpeg.debe133df297b6d4227ba3296e4808d3.jpeg

E6D6FB1D-D1EB-4936-BF7A-BA86639F2686.thumb.jpeg.98d6ae3e5904c79431283069241e2c7e.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1