Sun Princess - Original

nasa1974

My husband said that he saw on FB that they did the handoff today and people on the 18th cruise got a confirmation that their cruise is on!

I am NOT verifying that information, just passing it on. I would love for someone to confirm. 

I can’t wait to start seeing pictures from passengers!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

My husband said that he saw on FB that they did the handoff today and people on the 18th cruise got a confirmation that their cruise is on!

I am NOT verifying that information, just passing it on. I would love for someone to confirm. 

Where/what FB page? 

14 minutes ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

I'm on the 18th sailing and have NOT received and confirmation from Princess.  In fact, I just got off the phone with the Princess Partner Support Team, and they didn't know when the hand-over was going to be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, cruisedoctor said:

I'm on the 18th sailing and have NOT received and confirmation from Princess.  In fact, I just got off the phone with the Princess Partner Support Team, and they didn't know when the hand-over was going to be.

Thanks for disputing. I shouldn’t have even posted without my own research. 

I looks like Princess has just re-categorized Umai Teppanyaki & Hot Pot from "specialty dining" to now "experiential dining".  Which means these two venues are no longer available as a free option under Princess Premier. 

I have Premier for my 2/18 sailing, and on the Princess app when I look at Crown Grill or Sabatini's there is a note that it is included in Princess Premier.  On the app when I look at Umai Teppanyaki or Hot Pot there is NO mention of these being included in Premier.

Seems like Princess wants to limit access to these venues to revenue generating passengers.  As opposed to those non-revenue (comped with the Premier Program) passengers. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, cruisedoctor said:

I looks like Princess has just re-categorized Umai Teppanyaki & Hot Pot from "specialty dining" to now "experiential dining".  Which means these two venues are no longer available as a free option under Princess Premier. 

I have Premier for my 2/18 sailing, and on the Princess app when I look at Crown Grill or Sabatini's there is a note that it is included in Princess Premier.  On the app when I look at Umai Teppanyaki or Hot Pot there is NO mention of these being included in Premier.

Seems like Princess wants to limit access to these venues to revenue generating passengers.  As opposed to those non-revenue (comped with the Premier Program) passengers. 

Maybe there is a mistake in the app. The description of Umai Teppanyaki is definitely wrong. In the description the cover charge is $149, but the correct price should be $49 (I hope). If Butchers Block, also $49, is included in the Premier Package, why would Umai not be included? Unless $149 is the new correct price, which is not likely.

IMG_5893.jpeg

20 minutes ago, cruisedoctor said:

If you book as Princess Premier, you are paying a higher fare up front in exchange for certain perks.  I don’t think it’s accurate to say that someone who already paid for perks is a “non-revenue passenger.”  Also, something cannot be “comped” if has already been paid for in advance.  Regardless, the changes you describe are disappointing.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

Thanks for disputing. I shouldn’t have even posted without my own research. 

I did not see any confirmation either on fb- I check several threads-   Rumours & hopefuls.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Meldrum said:

Maybe there is a mistake in the app. The description of Umai Teppanyaki is definitely wrong. In the description the cover charge is $149, but the correct price should be $49 (I hope). If Butchers Block, also $49, is included in the Premier Package, why would Umai not be included? Unless $149 is the new correct price, which is not likely.

IMG_5893.jpeg

Yes, that's the description for 360 but with a price exactly $100 less.  Guess they still have work to do on the app.

On 2/7/2024 at 2:24 PM, dides said:

Crew member Gede Darsana posted a picture of himself standing next to the ship today. I think it looks like they are tidying things up in prep for the handover but who knows!  This picture does give you a close up of the Cabana deck immediately above him however.

image.thumb.png.4363d0b7ef2dc6bae61c6c48b55d439d.png

I can see my cabin!  Can't wait to cruise!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, CatMom72 said:

If you book as Princess Premier, you are paying a higher fare up front in exchange for certain perks.  I don’t think it’s accurate to say that someone who already paid for perks is a “non-revenue passenger.”  Also, something cannot be “comped” if has already been paid for in advance.  Regardless, the changes you describe are disappointing.

@CatMom72 You are looking at from the standpoint of the passenger (customer), I'm speaking from the standpoint of the cruise line (seller).  When you purchase a package (like PLUS or PREMIER) the amount you pay goes onto their books as a pure profit, because the seller has not incurred any costs yet.  Ideally, the seller would like you to use as few of those benefits as possible, or none at all.  

Every time you use one of the benefits of that package, you are reducing the seller's booked profit, as he is now expending resources because of it's use.  As the seller, I want to do everything in my power to limit how much or how easily you can use the benefits of that package. 

Ever since beverage packages have become so very commonplace on ships, the cruise lines have done two things.  (1) They raised the price of the beverages in order to induce more passengers to purchase a package.  (2) They reduced the number of bartenders and bar servers.  Why? To reduce the amount of consumption by those package holders.    

There are a finite number of passengers that can be served each night in a specialty restaurant.  In order for the cruise line to maximize their profitability from that venue, they want to serve new "paying" passengers.  Not ones who have a package, as the package holders are reducing the sellers already booked profits.  Filling a venue with non-package holders, is bringing in new revenue, instead of reducing already booked profits. 

As a seller, when I "comp" someone, it is costing me in two ways.  (1) The value of the resources provided to that person; and, (2) the lost new revenue, because that comped spot can not be used for a new paying customer.  As a seller, I consider someone using a package benefit to get a free meal, as being comped.

The fewer the number of venues where a package holder can use one of their benefits, the better the chances are that there won't be available reservation slots, for holder to use them.  The result is more retained profits.

My guess, is that Princess' research and focus group testing has led them to believe that Umai Teppanyaki is going to be an extremely popular and in-demand venue.  If that is the case, as a seller, I want to make as much "new revenue" off it as possible.  Therefore, I wouldn't want to tie up seats with package holders, so I make it a venue which doesn't accept any packages.

I fully understand your standpoint.  When I put on my "passenger" cap, I want to use as many of the benefits of my package as possible, because I paid good money for it.  I become very unhappy when there are no reservations available, at any point during the cruise, for a specialty restaurant that I have a benefit for.  Unfortunately, my interests are diametrically opposed to those of the cruise line, but I did agree to play their game, by their rules, when I purchased their package. 

All that being said, I do believe that Princess' PLUS and PREMIER packages are a very good value, for a large percentage of passengers.  The trick is to play the game better than they do. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, cruisedoctor said:

Website- Brits on a ship- outlines this information posted today.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, nasa1974 said:

Is it worth spending millions on advertising to counter the RCCL amusement park ships and private Island?

Perhaps not.  But if they weren’t trying to compete with RCCL, why did they turn the two top decks of the Sun Princess into an amusement park?  I could have done without it…🤮

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CatMom72 said:

Perhaps not.  But if they weren’t trying to compete with RCCL, why did they turn the two top decks of the Sun Princess into an amusement park?  I could have done without it…🤮

I'm not sure I would call Park 19 an amusement park. Although it does appear to be the first Princess ship to offer a little more entertainment for teens and adults. Hopefully there will still be basketball and pickleball available. But Park 19 is nothing like what RCCL offers.

Should Princess advertise more? Probably.

I travel solo so I pay more for my room. I just booked a 7day on the Star Princess and I have a similar 7 day on the RCCL Wonder and it was almost $600.00 more than the Princess cruise. 

But if not advertising keeps the price down I'm all for it.

Edited by nasa1974
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, nasa1974 said:

I'm not sure I would call Park 19 an amusement park. Although it does appear to be the first Princess ship to offer a little more entertainment for teens and adults. Hopefully there will still be basketball and pickleball available. But Park 19 is nothing like what RCCL offers.

Should Princess advertise more? Probably.

I travel solo so I pay more for my room. I just booked a 7day on the Star Princess and I have a similar 7 day on the RCCL Wonder and it was almost $600.00 more than the Princess cruise. 

But if not advertising keeps the price down I'm all for it.

I understand that they are trying to expand their market share by appealing to a different demographic and I don’t fault them for it.  I’m just saying I don’t personally like it. I go on Royal Caribbean for one type of vacation and I go on Princess for another.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2024 at 5:24 PM, Wishing on a star said:

Not saying that I think this is good, at all...   But, trying to figure out why such silence...

Apparently,  cruise bookings are at all time highs...  

Financially, cruise lines are trying to bring up their bottom line and stay afloat.

Given these two things..  maybe the cost of creating all of these adds and PR, and putting them out there, is something that they do not feel is necessary.

All I know is, I don't care about slick corporate PR..  in a few weeks, I am hoping that we have plenty of good cruiser feedback and videos!!!

One ship does not make a cruise line and mitigating expectations for the fleet while allowing the new ship to generate its own buzz while working out its issues is beyond wise.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CatMom72 said:

I understand that they are trying to expand their market share by appealing to a different demographic and I don’t fault them for it.  I’m just saying I don’t personally like it. I go on Royal Caribbean for one type of vacation and I go on Princess for another.

I have been on 30 plus cruises on Carnival.   Went on Holland three times and really enjoyed all three cruises.   Sailed RCCL several years ago along with NCL, MSC in YC (3 times and really enjoyed MSC).  Trying Princess to maybe get the balance from HAL to something a little different.   All offer something a little to a great deal different.   

• Like 3

6 hours ago, dides said:

Some selfies and footage just posted on instagram by one of the dancers:

ship10-2.thumb.JPG.fbc9b257eec62eade0ddbb6ad5499758.JPG

ship10-2a.thumb.JPG.656b2973b87c6bdd139ce53e9fd90e3f.JPG

ship10-2b.thumb.jpg.71fc0bd0776773a62e4c63182ce6ec1f.jpg

oh geezus!  this guy is a behemoth !  posting for his own personal gratification 😀

• Haha 2