Sun Princess - Original

nasa1974

Saying “sorry” really isn’t enough.  This is been so horribly mishandled by Princess management.  It’s more than just getting cruise fare back and a few dollars for air changes.  It’s all the planning and arranging of schedules for people that can’t be undone last minute.  Vacation time is a precious thing and many can’t get the lost time back.  I hope there is some firing starting at the top.  Other major issues with Princess is loss of any real benefit from the loyalty program, outsourcing the call center where you talk with people who are not providing great service (but you do get to listen to chickens in the background).  Time for new management that actually cares about its customer base.  

We have a sailing booked late summer and another on the Star (we moved that cruise from the second sailing).

No more excuses Princess, come clean about this ship.

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, Fuge said:

An Italian website says that the technical problem concerns the drinking water system, where traces of diesel fuel were found.

https://www.rainews.it/tgr/fvg/articoli/2024/02/gasolio-nellimpianto-dellacqua-la-sun-princess-non-parte-fincantieri-monfalcone-a826b6c1-354d-494f-bc6b-cdb93eded4e7.html

If this ends up being true you would have to think we’ll likely see multiple cancellations.

likely the reason we haven’t gotten the official press release yet. 

Edited by Vinnyv20032003
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, Fuge said:

An Italian website says that the technical problem concerns the drinking water system, where traces of diesel fuel were found.

https://www.rainews.it/tgr/fvg/articoli/2024/02/gasolio-nellimpianto-dellacqua-la-sun-princess-non-parte-fincantieri-monfalcone-a826b6c1-354d-494f-bc6b-cdb93eded4e7.html

Diesel in the water plant: the Sun Princess does not start

He would have to leave Monfalcone with a thousand workers on board to reach Civitavecchia. First cruise responed

07:44

Tgr Rai

The Fincantieri workers at the ceremony of the technical launch of the Sun Princess

Technical problems for the Sun Princess, a prototype liquefied natural gas ship built in Monfalcone. The ship was supposed to leave in the night from the Monfalconese plant to the Civitavecchia with almost a thousand workers on board.

Due to a problem still being verified, they will all be disembarked by the evening.The first cruise, which was scheduled in just over a month, will also be postponed accordingly.

The first delivery to the shipowner was scheduled for the end of January, but had been postponed to complete finishing work.The technical inconvenience concerns the drinking water plant, where traces of diesel would have been found.

Princess Cruises has announced that it will completely refound the price of the cruise to those who had booked it and will have to skip it, offering a 50 percent discount on a later cruise.

That is a potentially catastrophic situation. Better to have it resolved now. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

On the official princesscruises X(twitter) account they are deleting the comments that people including me have made about this news, it seems that they want to hide it at any price

Edit:  A question that is on my mind, if this news is true, could I cancel my cruise that is on February 28th, giving me all my money back without having to wait for them to cancel it since my health and that of the other passengers is questionable because of this problem?

Edited by Fuge
  • Like 7

WOW....     Just wow.....

Yes...   when serious legal and health liabilities are involved.....

Hide, and deny,  at ALL costs....

Now it comes down to 'censorship'.   Seriously...

I wish the price-point between Princess and other lines like Viking was not so huge now...

which totally puts it beyond our pay-grade....

I would be seriously considering the cancellation of bookings with Princess Corp.  as in TODAY.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fuge said:

On the official princesscruises X(twitter) account they are deleting the comments that people including me have made about this news, it seems that they want to hide it at any price

Edit:  A question that is on my mind, if this news is true, could I cancel my cruise that is on February 28th, giving me all my money back without having to wait for them to cancel it since my health and that of the other passengers is questionable because of this problem?

If YOU cancel your cruise...  it will be subject to all normal cancellation policies and fine print...

You would be giving up any refunds and/or goodwill that would go to those who still booked, and then Princess cancels.

They are trying to HIDE this...   Remember,  there are hundreds and possibly thousands. (1000 said to have been onboard, and then required to leave) who have already been on this ship for some time.

LEGAL issues and CYA,  for certain.

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Vinnyv20032003 said:

If this ends up being true you would have to think we’ll likely see multiple cancellations.

likely the reason we haven’t gotten the official press release yet. 

And won't be an easy fix either. If its had diesel in the system for just a little time, they might be able to flush the system with cleaning chemicals for diesel contamination and fix it but if its been in the system for a long time it could lead to them having to replace all of the water system as the diesel would have started to soak into the pipes. This is based on research I've done.

Sounds like it's very possible the water contamination was found at the last minute, probably as part of the normal testing procedures. Yes, it is a big deal and must be dealt with immediately and canceling the current sailing is definitely a last minute thing. I wouldn't fault Princess management for a technical issue like this. IMHO it's likely water testing has been going on since they started using the system for human consumption and this is a brand new issue. Would love to have @chengkp75 chime in here.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SouKnoMe said:

He would have to leave Monfalcone with a thousand workers on board to reach Civitavecchia. First cruise responed

07:44

Tgr Rai

The Fincantieri workers at the ceremony of the technical launch of the Sun Princess

Technical problems for the Sun Princess, a prototype liquefied natural gas ship built in Monfalcone. The ship was supposed to leave in the night from the Monfalconese plant to the Civitavecchia with almost a thousand workers on board.

Due to a problem still being verified, they will all be disembarked by the evening.The first cruise, which was scheduled in just over a month, will also be postponed accordingly.

The first delivery to the shipowner was scheduled for the end of January, but had been postponed to complete finishing work.The technical inconvenience concerns the drinking water plant, where traces of diesel would have been found.

Princess Cruises has announced that it will completely refound the price of the cruise to those who had booked it and will have to skip it, offering a 50 percent discount on a later cruise.

That is a potentially catastrophic situation. Better to have it resolved now. 

when was this article first published?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hollyann said:

I wonder why some people on the February 18th cruise received an email offering them a $1000 on board credit with a future cruise and some people received 50% off a future cruise?  (see email notices received on page 75) $1000 on board credit is not very much compensation for having a years worth of dreams, planning and saving up your vacation time only to have it yanked out from under you with 4 days notice (not that 50% off a future cruise compensates you fully - but better than $1000 for sure)

But no one received 50% off of a future cruise. They receive a 50% future cruise credit. If their base cruise fair was $2000, then they received a $1000 future cruise credit, not 50% off of a future cruise.

Just now, MsSoCalCruiser said:

But no one received 50% off of a future cruise. They receive a 50% future cruise credit. If their base cruise fair was $2000, then they received a $1000 future cruise credit, not 50% off of a future cruise.

Thank you for clarifying that. I did not catch that on the "first cancellation" go around. I am starting to realize that I should start paying close attention to these details even though my cruise is still a few weeks away😱.  We would have literally been on a plane over the ocean when we received that email yesterday. So heartbroken for the passengers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

If YOU cancel your cruise...  it will be subject to all normal cancellation policies and fine print...

You would be giving up any refunds and/or goodwill that would go to those who still booked, and then Princess cancels.

They are trying to HIDE this...   Remember,  there are hundreds and possibly thousands. (1000 said to have been onboard, and then required to leave) who have already been on this ship for some time.

LEGAL issues and CYA,  for certain.

Where did thousands of people go? When did they leave the ship? Link?