Sun Princess - Original

nasa1974

14 minutes ago, cruisedoctor said:

Yesterday I had an opportunity to meet with Chef Rudi Sodamin, who is the head of Princess Culinary Arts, and has been spearheading the development of the dining venues and menus on the Sun Princess.  He has developed new menus for the Horizon Dining Rooms, and is currently on board the Sun with a group of CIA master chefs, training the galley crews.  I was very surprised and pleased to see how approachable and interested in the feedback of the passengers Chef Rudi was.  While this was an “off the record” conversation, I was surprised that he was noticing some of the same shortcomings that I was seeing, and that he plans to address, if not on the Sun, then at least on the Star.

One of the bottlenecks on most cruise ships is the size of the buffet, in terms of the amount of seating…especially for breakfast and lunch.  Over the years, some of the cruise lines have been adding more outdoor seating, to help with the overcrowding during “rush hours”.  On the Sun this area is called the Promenade, it is outdoors and runs the length of The Eatery (buffet) on both the port and starboard sides.  The Promenade has both open air, and covered seating; along with several food stalls (the Seaview Grill, soft ice cream shop, Seaview Pizza, and a bar).  There are a few NCL and Carnival ships that have something similar, but I haven’t had an opportunity to sail on any of those.  This is another instance where the ship renderings, sent out to the media, looked better than the final product.

The problem I see is that there isn’t enough of an overhead roof, that would keep passengers dry if they wanted to out on the Promenade to get pizza, soft serve ice cream, or grill items if it were raining…let alone blowing rain when the ship is in motion.  I’ve taken some photos to show that anyone standing in front of one of those food outlets, is out in the open, for all practicle purposes.   Remember, this is NOT on the pool deck where people aren’t dressed in their street clothes.   So, these food outlets are useless in inclement weather.  I saw this first hand the first few days of our sailing when the temperature was in the 50’s and it was drizzling with the wind blowing the rain partway into the food outlets.  The crew members were out there braving the elements all by themselves…and the buffet itself was a mass of  humanity.  Not many passengers want to go outside and get sopping wet while getting additional food, or eating in the rain. 

Also, whenever it begins to rain, the crew members have to bring in all the seat cushions out of the rain because it would ruin them.  Where do them put them?  On all the chairs and tables under the covered portion of the Promenade…thus precluding that space from being used by passengers looking for an overflow area from a lack of inside seating. 

On the other hand, maybe this was a planned way to cut down on the consumption of free pizza, soft serve ice cream, and grilled items?

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpeg.79d27181e17b70eb227d82c5379fe7d5.jpegFullSizeRender.thumb.jpeg.978b9dc5a1b2844d5ce7e87037dd2d06.jpegFullSizeRender.thumb.jpeg.e1b3b571d9c3fa905dbc065e1278de08.jpeg

Your posts here are extremely informative and helpful. Thank you.

• Like 9

14 minutes ago, macaws2 said:

Thanks for the information, I'll bring my own travel packets like I did before, again thank you

Gladys 

You’re welcome…we bring our Purex 3-in-1 sheets for washing delicates that we don’t want to send to the ship’s laundry which we receive for free as an elite level benefit.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yes..  Rex has uploaded a video of the DOME.  and mentions ADULT ONLY more than once....   MANY THANKS TO HIM, AND OTHERS ONBOARD, for all they are doing for us!

I wonder if Princess is committed to this as an adult only area????

This would be the new open Adult Only area.

And, while not exclusive,  much nicer than the Sanctuary, as it currently is...  with some padded seating.

NO STAIRS INTO THE POOL!

Are we still awaiting video of the AFT wake view area???

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, cruisedoctor said:

Yesterday I had an opportunity to meet with Chef Rudi Sodamin, who is the head of Princess Culinary Arts, and has been spearheading the development of the dining venues and menus on the Sun Princess.  He has developed new menus for the Horizon Dining Rooms, and is currently on board the Sun with a group of CIA master chefs, training the galley crews.  I was very surprised and pleased to see how approachable and interested in the feedback of the passengers Chef Rudi was.  While this was an “off the record” conversation, I was surprised that he was noticing some of the same shortcomings that I was seeing, and that he plans to address, if not on the Sun, then at least on the Star.

One of the bottlenecks on most cruise ships is the size of the buffet, in terms of the amount of seating…especially for breakfast and lunch.  Over the years, some of the cruise lines have been adding more outdoor seating, to help with the overcrowding during “rush hours”.  On the Sun this area is called the Promenade, it is outdoors and runs the length of The Eatery (buffet) on both the port and starboard sides.  The Promenade has both open air, and covered seating; along with several food stalls (the Seaview Grill, soft ice cream shop, Seaview Pizza, and a bar).  There are a few NCL and Carnival ships that have something similar, but I haven’t had an opportunity to sail on any of those.  This is another instance where the ship renderings, sent out to the media, looked better than the final product.

The problem I see is that there isn’t enough of an overhead roof, that would keep passengers dry if they wanted to out on the Promenade to get pizza, soft serve ice cream, or grill items if it were raining…let alone blowing rain when the ship is in motion.  I’ve taken some photos to show that anyone standing in front of one of those food outlets, is out in the open, for all practicle purposes.   Remember, this is NOT on the pool deck where people aren’t dressed in their street clothes.   So, these food outlets are useless in inclement weather.  I saw this first hand the first few days of our sailing when the temperature was in the 50’s and it was drizzling with the wind blowing the rain partway into the food outlets.  The crew members were out there braving the elements all by themselves…and the buffet itself was a mass of  humanity.  Not many passengers want to go outside and get sopping wet while getting additional food, or eating in the rain. 

Also, whenever it begins to rain, the crew members have to bring in all the seat cushions out of the rain because it would ruin them.  Where do them put them?  On all the chairs and tables under the covered portion of the Promenade…thus precluding that space from being used by passengers looking for an overflow area from a lack of inside seating. 

On the other hand, maybe this was a planned way to cut down on the consumption of free pizza, soft serve ice cream, and grilled items?

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpeg.79d27181e17b70eb227d82c5379fe7d5.jpegFullSizeRender.thumb.jpeg.978b9dc5a1b2844d5ce7e87037dd2d06.jpegFullSizeRender.thumb.jpeg.e1b3b571d9c3fa905dbc065e1278de08.jpeg

That is awesome that you did get to talk to Rudi Sodamin.

I’ve been on CCL ships and the newer ones have this

outdoor seating from the buffet on both sides and the back of the ship.  It does not have much cover, but in good weather, it’s great. 
They do have restaurants along the inside, with outdoor promenade seating…but those are covered going down the side of the promenade…similar to your pictures #2 & 3.  But, the promenade on the outside is open to walk.  No tables/chairs on the walkway.

I think this is sort of the concept they are looking for.

45 minutes ago, cruisedoctor said:

Yesterday I had an opportunity to meet with Chef Rudi Sodamin

We have met Chef Rudi twice now while onboard a Princess ship.  He is extremely approachable and charismatic.  Hopefully, his enthusiasm for great cuisine will "infect" the onboard Executive Chef's!

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Globaler said:

I do remember though, don’t wait till the last day to do laundry! People got quite a bit perturbed when others didn’t empty washers when the cycle had finished - to the point many found their wet clothes on top of the washer when they finally did show up 😳

Thank you, yes, I remember that happening and thank you for reminding me, hope even though there are things on the ship that still need some work that everyone is enjoying themselves with the shores excursions etc. Can't wait to begin our trip in Aug, we're celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary so a big one for sure.

Gladys 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

You’re welcome…we bring our Purex 3-in-1 sheets for washing delicates that we don’t want to send to the ship’s laundry which we receive for free as an elite level benefit.

Yup, great advice and thanks again, hope your enjoying yourself even though there's been some growing pains with the new ship.

Gladys 

1 hour ago, Wishing on a star said:

Yes..  Rex has uploaded a video of the DOME.  and mentions ADULT ONLY more than once....   MANY THANKS TO HIM, AND OTHERS ONBOARD, for all they are doing for us!

I wonder if Princess is committed to this as an adult only area????

This would be the new open Adult Only area.

And, while not exclusive,  much nicer than the Sanctuary, as it currently is...  with some padded seating.

NO STAIRS INTO THE POOL!

Are we still awaiting video of the AFT wake view area???

Is that for real..no steps into pool?

• Like 1

Thank you to everyone for all the reviews and updates. They're very helpful and I hope they keep coming. I'm so sorry for all of you who are not getting the promised fantastic shows and entertainment that Princess has been promising for SO long now. Here's hoping Princess gets this completed ASAP!

• Like 4

Just now, kathy49 said:

Is that for real..no steps into pool?

Seems like it.  I've watched all the videos showing pools and other than some having steps onto the wading area, all the pools have ladders from what I've seen 😞

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cruisedoctor said:

One group of employees, who have gone above and beyond in their job, to protect the corporation form any passenger lawsuits is the Legal Department.  This morning I turned on the television and clicked on the WEATHER icon.  At first I couldn’t stop laughing, but then I realized how sad it has become…when it is  necessary to say “WEATHER IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE”.

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpeg.2af6e7c5b7f4289fa062e818cac142e6.jpeg

Then I decided to pull up the map to see where the ship is currently located.  After clicking the map icon this is what appears on the screen (every time).  This lengthly disclaimer advising the passenger that Princess isn’t liable for anything on the map they are about to see, or the location of the ship.

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpeg.0337abe4b71cbf9a818d154742241a02.jpeg

I’m surprised they don’t have signs posted in all the dining venues, warning that hot beverages are dangerous, and can cause severe burns…drink at your own peril!  😫

Check the buffet, the egg dishes will have a disclaimer saying they contain eggs.  It was there on our Christmas cruise every morning

• Haha 3

47 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

We have met Chef Rudi twice now while onboard a Princess ship.  He is extremely approachable and charismatic.  Hopefully, his enthusiasm for great cuisine will "infect" the onboard Executive Chef's!

Yes!!!!!!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, MTNest93 said:

Seems like it.  I've watched all the videos showing pools and other than some having steps onto the wading area, all the pools have ladders from what I've seen 😞

Princess haven't had graduated steps in their pools since Sky Princess was launched in 2019.

Edited by dides
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, macaws2 said:

Yup, great advice and thanks again, hope your enjoying yourself even though there's been some growing pains with the new ship.

Gladys 

I have read on FB that everything is currently free in the laundrettes on Sun Princess - although it could be change n the future. Also still to be installed on decks 7 and 8 and some are out of action. Hey this is better than Majestic where they had none at all on the first few cruises! 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, MTNest93 said:

WEll I love swimming but one of my criteria is steps to comfortably enter a pool. Given the number of older cruisers this surprises me.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

WEll I love swimming but one of my criteria is steps to comfortably enter a pool. Given the number of older cruisers this surprises me.

Me too.  We've only been on 1 cruise so far (2 booked since) and loved the Lotus Pool on the Caribbean since it was adult only and had stairs.  It never occurred to me that other ships wouldn't have at least 1 pool with them.  Our next cruise is on the Sun, then Royal - now I'm off to research the pools on the Royal, lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Globaler said:

People got quite a bit perturbed when others didn’t empty washers when the cycle had finished - to the point many found their wet clothes on top of the washer when they finally did show up 😳

Yes, that happened to me as well. 🤣 And I was at the washer no later than 3 minutes after the clock finished.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, MTNest93 said:

Me too.  We've only been on 1 cruise so far (2 booked since) and loved the Lotus Pool on the Caribbean since it was adult only and had stairs.  It never occurred to me that other ships wouldn't have at least 1 pool with them.  Our next cruise is on the Sun, then Royal - now I'm off to research the pools on the Royal, lol.

The Adults only Retreat pool on the Royal has steps. Which was very helpful for slowly... very very slowly taking my time working down the steps when the pool had just been refilled and was 🥶 

It's also nice and deep. I am admittedly not tall (5'8") but could not touch the bottom at the deeper end without the bottom half of my face going underwater.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

This is some good information that perhaps can be posted here before long...   Information about pool access and how deep they are, from end to end.

As somebody who isn't getting any younger, and who is also 'vertically challenged'...  No way to even enjoy a pool that is over my head and has NO steps....

Just another one of those times where one looks at Princess and sees total lack of common sense and competency.  WWTT !!!!

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

This is some good information that perhaps can be posted here before long...   Information about pool access and how deep they are, from end to end.

As somebody who isn't getting any younger, and who is also 'vertically challenged'...  No way to even enjoy a pool that is over my head and has NO steps....

Just another one of those times where one looks at Princess and sees total lack of common sense and competency.  WWTT !!!!

I'm 41 and active but also a bit on the heavy side and pool ladders are not easy for me at all. I think they're awkward for many tbh. Stairs are so much nicer. 

Edited by rheathslc
Oops. :)
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, dides said:

I have read on FB that everything is currently free in the laundrettes on Sun Princess - although it could be change n the future. Also still to be installed on decks 7 and 8 and some are out of action. Hey this is better than Majestic where they had none at all on the first few cruises! 

Thank you again for the information, yeah we're on the 12th deck mid section, deluxe cabin which is just fine for us. It's more important to us to be mid ship, not on high decks so on this ship being 20 floors the 12th is fine,I have a medical condition where I have severe dizziness, nauseous, unbalance issues etc, have to take meds, etc to keep everything balanced so don't care about what's in the other categories, cabana, signature etc,not important when comfort medically is more important. We're traveling with dear friends of ours and we're actually celebrating our 50th anniversary this year so really looking forward to this cruise. Anyway just wanted to say thank you for the information that you've given me and hope your enjoying the cruise even though yes, being a new ship is having its "growing pains" but things could be worse as what happened to the first two initial cruises. Anyway, enjoy your time you have left on your cruise and again thank you. 

Gladys 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dides said:

Thank you for the information, really appreciate it. 

Gladys 

5 minutes ago, vividharp said:

Did anyone ever post clarification on the DO category  “signature benefits and upgrades” thing that was stated on the deck plan? 

nope 😞

• Thanks 1