Carnival Dream - guys burger buns are different

Ryanthe4aces

Guys burgers buns are different on this cruise vs previous cruises I went on. 

They are too big for the burger, and don’t taste as good. Why would they do this? Cost cut?

Also the main dining room menu is way different then it used to be. Not as good. 

• Haha 2

Sometimes, certain things may not be available in time. Imagine trying to have one specific type of hamburger bun always ready in the tens of thousands without any hiccups in machinery, labor, supply, etc. Now do it with a whole ship of various ingredients. 

They've really messed with the Guy's formula since the COVID restart. Different fries, different seasonings, different toppings, now different buns. They're still good - but they're not great anymore in my opinion.

• Like 5

I sailed on the Dream in July … at the beginning of the cruise they were using the buns they regularly use. About half way through the trip, they switched to larger buns that were dry and not at all appealing. At the time, I chalked it up to supply chain issues. Now I’m not sure??

Just off the Sunrise recently, and we said the same thing.  Grabbed a traditional GUY's burger as our "welcome aboard" lunch, and the buns were so...plain and "meh."  Were they previously toasted, or buttered or something?  They tasted like standard generic grocery store buns, that were day-old.

We swore off Guys for the remainder of that cruise.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ryanthe4aces said:

Guys burgers buns are different on this cruise vs previous cruises I went on. 

They are too big for the burger, and don’t taste as good. Why would they do this? Cost cut?

Also the main dining room menu is way different then it used to be. Not as good. 

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

Well since all the Guy's Burger connoisseurs are here, let me ask a question. How did the bacon on the burgers used to be served. I ate there once, embarkation day several years ago and the bacon they put on our burgers was super crispy/overdone, and small pieces of it almost like it was scraped off the griddle as clean up. Is it always served like that or did/do they normally serve actual slices of bacon on the burger?

• Haha 1

I'll never understand how anyone likes those burgers. They are horrible.  I've tried over and over because there's alot of you guys on here that I like alot who say they're great.  But every time I am some range of dis'd, between disappointed and disgusted.  Notice the irregular edges, pink-slimish mixed with the pieces of prior cooked discarded burger bits.  Notice the toppings bar quality.  Sorry, I do love Carnival but when I think of the branded sandwiches onboard I give Shaq a 9 and guy fieri a 2.  Only reason it's not a 1 is because it does taste like beef.  Kinda.

Edited by IntrepidFromDC
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MsOne said:

Well since all the Guy's Burger connoisseurs are here, let me ask a question. How did the bacon on the burgers used to be served. I ate there once, embarkation day several years ago and the bacon they put on our burgers was super crispy/overdone, and small pieces of it almost like it was scraped off the griddle as clean up. Is it always served like that or did/do they normally serve actual slices of bacon on the burger?

We always had a round bacon disk, almost the size of the burger patty in diameter.

7 hours ago, MsOne said:

How did the bacon on the burgers used to be served. 

There's a burger with the bacon ring as posted above. The other bacon was on the toppings bar in like chunks or bits n pieces. I don't recall ever having strips of bacon through Guy's.

On 12/26/2022 at 5:25 PM, mz-s said:

They've really messed with the Guy's formula since the COVID restart. Different fries, different seasonings, different toppings, now different buns. They're still good - but they're not great anymore in my opinion.

It was my impression from reading your posts that it has been some time since you've sailed with Carnival. When was the last time you had a Guy's burger? 

35 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

It was my impression from reading your posts that it has been some time since you've sailed with Carnival. When was the last time you had a Guy's burger? 

September, I have been on 4 Carnival cruises since the restart.

It was the opposite situation on Conquest (Christmas '21) , the buns were quite small (note the size of the bun next to the fork)!

i-Rq9BQms-L.jpg

i-28nnM4Z-L.jpg

On the Liberty last week/weekend I ate there 3 days in a row. I enjoyed the burgers, though would have preferred a MDE from Big Chicken!

Tom

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

Sorry, I do love Carnival but when I think of the branded sandwiches onboard I give Shaq a 9 and guy fieri a 2.   

Food tastes are subjective. I'll take Guy's burgers over Shaq's chicken any day.

• Like 2

I had to stop cruising for several years but it was almost always possible to watch the port employees load the cargo especially if you were on a b2b. Or see the food company tractor trailers if you got lost and drove around. My brain fart mind seems to think most of the foodstuff was Sysco.

Bakersource Imperialby
Bun Hamburger Brioche 4.25 Inc
We could probably solve this is a person or two was willing to watch the cargo loading on a few cruises in various ports and see if the companies differ.

2 hours ago, mz-s said:

September, I have been on 4 Carnival cruises since the restart.

So you haven't given up on Carnival completely. My last Guy's burger was in February and it was the same quality as the one I'd had the previous November (on the same ship). Of course I don't sail often enough to notice small changes.

10 hours ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

I'll never understand how anyone likes those burgers. They are horrible.  I've tried over and over because there's alot of you guys on here that I like alot who say they're great.  But every time I am some range of dis'd, between disappointed and disgusted.  Notice the irregular edges, pink-slimish mixed with the pieces of prior cooked discarded burger bits.  Notice the toppings bar quality.  Sorry, I do love Carnival but when I think of the branded sandwiches onboard I give Shaq a 9 and guy fieri a 2.  Only reason it's not a 1 is because it does taste like beef.  Kinda.

I agree, Guy's burgers vary in quality from ship to ship.  Intrepid, did you try a Guy's burger on Mardi Gras?  I thought that burger was the best Guy's burger.  I only ate one since I wanted to try as many venues as humanly possible.😄

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

So you haven't given up on Carnival completely. My last Guy's burger was in February and it was the same quality as the one I'd had the previous November (on the same ship). Of course I don't sail often enough to notice small changes.

No, I'm just not willing to pay 2019 prices for Carnival's current product. As long as they keep giving me good deals I'll keep cruising them. But I cruise them for the same reason I shop at Dollar General - convenient and cheap.

Their burgers in November were much the same as always, although the bacon crisis was in effect so no bacon bits. By my February cruise they took away the sliced mushrooms as well. In May the fries were different. In September I didn't notice any change but I didn't eat as many of them. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ninjacat123 said:

I agree, Guy's burgers vary in quality from ship to ship.  Intrepid, did you try a Guy's burger on Mardi Gras?  I thought that burger was the best Guy's burger.  I only ate one since I wanted to try as many venues as humanly possible.😄

I did try Guy's on Mardi Gras cuz I wanted to experience the "new fries" I had seen posted about.  Oddly, I thought the fries were better than the old fries but for the burger I gave it a second chance after the first bite but I was two and done.  I hate to waste food!