The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday December 27th, 2022

rafinmd

Today is National Fruitcake Day, Visit the Zoo Day, and Make Cut-Out Snowflakes Day

It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up. Vince Lombardi - Football player

Meal Suggestion for today - Spanish Chorizo Stew
Drink of the Day - Handsome Ginger
Wine of the Day - Sun Garden 2018 Sweet Red Dornfelder (Rheinhessen) Germany
Destination of the Day - Whangarei, New Zealand

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida eta 12/28

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination San Diego, California eta 12/29

Nieuw Amsterdam

St Thomas Island USVI, Charlotte Amalie, US Virgin Islands 08:00 - 16:00

Nieuw Statendam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 07:00 - 16:00

Oosterdam

Port Stanley, East Falkland Island 08:00 - 17:00

Rotterdam

Half Moon Cay 08:00 - 15:00

Volendam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 07:00 - 16:00

Zaandam

Castries, St Lucia Island 07:00 - 16:00

Zuiderdam

Cozumel, Quintana Roo Mexico, Riviera Maya 11:00 - 23:00

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Auckland, New Zealand 07:00 -

Westerdam

At Sea, Destination Hobart, ETA 12/29

Capture1.JPG.a9b64d4a796d2ee57b5979624e2d3f78.JPG

Capture2.JPG.53a509459bd2cf0a47ff0fed285bddc3.JPG

Roy for Rich

• Like 26
  • Thanks 11

Thanks for the Fleet update and general info.

Oh my, It’s National Fruitcake Day! The fruitcake is the most misunderstood thing in the world so let’s look at the fruitcake, from RNB’s point of view.

The fruitcake lasts a long time and can be very old. “How old can fruitcake be RNB”. It is so old that:

1. Fruitcake is one of a very few foods that has no expiration date on the packaging. It can last for years, supposedly.

2. Fruitcake can be re-gifted as long as the lettering on the package has not faded or flaked. 😀

3. Once I stored fruitcake in the refrigerator for so long that when I finally looked at it I could not tell if it was meat or cake. 😳

Everyone has received a fruitcake once in their life during the holidays from a relative. Once I received the cake from Aunt Myrtle with a note that said, “Enjoy and if you don’t like, it can be used in your backyard as building material”. 😀

And finally, when cutting the fruitcake, may I suggest an electric carving knife or if really tough a small portable chain saw.

Had to edit for one more thing. Sometimes I maybe referred to as a fruitcake 😀

Edited by RedneckBob
  • Like 6
  • Haha 19

Good morning.

It is 37°F and raining here in North East England.

Thank you Roy for your dual role of posting the daily and the lists to keep the thread going.

Thank you to our food and beverage ladies who do an amazing job with professional descriptions of the food and drink.

I never made cut out snowflakes but do like fruit cake.

It is more than 55 years since I went to a zoo although we did visit Animal Kingdom at WDW Florida.

True quote.

Nice food today.

Prayers 🙏 and good wishes for everyone who is unwell.

I hope everyone has a nice day.

Graham.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Report.

Another snowy day here.  We've got a snow squall warning.  If you like snow, move here.  If you like cuddling with your sweetie because you can't go anywhere, move here.

My sweetie loves fruitcake, I don't, but I make him one every year. 

Love the quote.

Looking forward to seeing the recipe for today's meal.

I hope the drink and wine are tasty.

Prayers for everyone who needs them.  I hope there are lots of celebrations.

Have a wonderful day, stay safe.

• Like 25

I’ve recently found your Daily posts, and have been enjoying them very much !

. Could I add something regarding fruitcakes?  Collin Street Bakery in Corsicana, TX is a global supplier of fruitcakes.  There was a  good documentary last year on Discovery + (“Fruitcake Fraud”)  on the multi million dollar embezzlement from the bakery.  Here is an article about it 

https://fwtx.com/culture/fruitcake-fraud-digs-into-collin-street-bakery-embezzlement-/

Have a nice day, everyone.  Thank you for all the reading enjoyment you provide in the daily reports.

Edited by ocean sounds
Typo
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 9

Good Tuesday morning.  It is a balmy 57 degrees in Fort Lauderdale.  Both Miami and Fort Lauderdale had the coldest Christmas on record with FL having a high of 46.  I was worried about lugging my winter jacket but I think I can get by wearing it.  Luggage pick up at 10:30.   I read on our 74 day Facebook that someone on board says an officer said 1500 on board this week so sounds like a lot of kiddos and 250 less than full capacity next week.  Watching for the port cam photos of the Volendam coming in.  We depart early today at 3pm.   

Have a great day and thanks for the Daily and Fleet Reports.  Nancy 

• Like 25

Thank you to all who post on the  Fleet Report and Daily.  The two ships in the Eastern Hemisphere and some recent port pictures of the destination of the day have me thinking about a cruise to Australia and New Zealand.  I’ve been poking around CC and found this excellent live thread, I believe it gives a unique perspective of the current Westerdam cruise.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

Good morning. Still cool here.

Handsome Ginger cocktail:

Ingredients
1 part Pinnacle® Original Vodka
2 parts Ginger Beer
1 Lime Wedge
2 Orange Wedges
Garnish: Fresh Mint

Instructions
Place lime and orange wedges in a thick-walled cocktail glass and gently muddle. Add ice, Pinnacle® Vodka and top with ginger beer. Gently stir to combine.

Screenshot 2022-12-27 at 6.49.57 AM.png

• Like 20
  • Thanks 8

13 minutes ago, ocean sounds said:

I’ve recently found your Daily posts, and have been enjoying them very much !

. Could I add something regarding fruitcakes?  Collin Street Bakery in Corsicana, TX is a global supplier of fruitcakes.  There was a  good documentary last year on Discovery + (“Fruitcake Fraud”)  on the multi million dollar embezzlement from the bakery.  Here is an article about it 

https://fwtx.com/culture/fruitcake-fraud-digs-into-collin-street-bakery-embezzlement-/

Have a nice day, everyone.  Thank you for all the reading enjoyment you provide in the daily reports.

Thank you and welcome @ocean sounds.

Graham 

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

Good Tuesday morning.  It is a balmy 57 degrees in Fort Lauderdale.  Both Miami and Fort Lauderdale had the coldest Christmas on record with FL having a high of 46.  I was worried about lugging my winter jacket but I think I can get by wearing it.  Luggage pick up at 10:30.   I read on our 74 day Facebook that someone on board says an officer said 1500 on board this week so sounds like a lot of kiddos and 250 less than full capacity next week.  Watching for the port cam photos of the Volendam coming in.  We depart early today at 3pm.   

Have a great day and thanks for the Daily and Fleet Reports.  Nancy 

Best wishes for an awesome cruise Nancy.

Graham.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds good and I look forward to @dfish pictures and recipes.  I do think I’ll be using up more of the leftover turkey today, either turkey barley or turkey pot pie.  I hope everyone trying to catch a ship can make it there safely.  The weather reports and flight delays and cancellations are concerning.  I hope everyone has a nice day today.

image.png.50a634a6edd320f06b649f57c1160c44.png

• Like 16
  • Haha 16

I'm among those who love fruitcake, don't know if I've ever cut a snowflake, and have not visited a zoo in years (and won't at least until it warms up some).  I love the Lombardi quote.  Whangheri seems to be a very rarely visited port.  I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Country Style Buttermilk Chicken, my embarkation lunch on MS Ryndam December 28, 2014.  I have been on a BHB some year every calendar date from December 28 to May 5,

Today’s care list:

ger_77 DH Denturist visit
All without Electricity
Seasick Sailor’s hand
Marshhawk DH family illnesses
From the rotation:
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1) and JAM37 (7/7)
HAL Sailer Sister in Law with aggressive cancer therapy

Celebrations and Shoutouts:
Welcome aboard Ocean Sounds

Nieuw Statendam and

ns1227.thumb.JPG.e226e57d21be2509ec787203e312f798.JPG
Volendam in Everglades

vd1227.thumb.JPG.96e4d028682cbb3dd5f12867c02109c2.JPG
Kwanzaa (to Jan 1)
Welcome home aliaschief and ger_77
2 days for crystalspin, Vict0riann, and sailingdutchy(1/31) (Koningsdam 12/29 to 1/7/23)
2 days for Gail&Marty (Zuiderdam to 5/12/23)
Bon Voyage ottahand7 (Volendam 12/27 to 3/18/23)
Cruisin Terri (Insignia  to 12/28) at sea
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  Kazu and Av8rix (Koningsdam  to 1/7/23), Damcruiser (Nieuw Statendam  to 1/14/23), Seasick Sailor (Rotterdam  to 1/25/23), and indaler (Volendam  to 3/18/23),  richwmn and HorizonChaser1957 (Zuiderdam  to 5/12/23) at sea

Roy

• Like 23
  • Thanks 11

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily! @ocean sounds welcome & I hope you enjoy this group as much as I do. So many people contribute, but more importantly care!

Roy, thank you again for playing triple duty! It is a balmy 35 here this morning.  I’ll take it! When I left my nephew’s house yesterday, it was 10. 😎 It was good to be home and sleep in my own bed.  Bindi was happy to come home too. 

I suspect I brought the bad cold back with me. My sinuses have been aching since I woke up yesterday, and the flight did not help. But I will survive. Aldi, Bindi walks, and possibly one gym class are in my future. 

My window for Holiday memes is closing fast….

B0D29527-1514-4D82-8584-FE41AC34F318.jpeg.2a3a6ff470fdce4b90e8d5155c86157a.jpeg

84EBF108-8565-4373-AAFF-5973B0E2F769.jpeg.d5977eadae3baceecc1e21c10b5a5fcc.jpeg

E6BD8A57-1AB1-4CC0-ADAF-2EF87DA696DE.jpeg.abab8077d5dad8ee5b35690405e8a954.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support- @smitty34877 Terry, so happy to read your progress!  Cheers to all who are celebrating!

Get well & stay well everyone!

Sun Garden 2018 Sweet Red Dornfelder (Rheinhessen) Germany

Sweet, red wine lovers take note - this wine has quite a few consumer fans. It has a very good rating from at least one critic, and has a very reasonable price tag. I found several online distributors with prices starting at $10.99.

86 Wine Enthusiast 

Flavors of red cherry, menthol and preserved plum are accented by a hint of burnt caramel in this luscious sweet-style Dornfelder. Plush in texture and edged by very soft, feathery tannins, it's an easy-drinking, welcoming red best consumed young. 

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 6

Good morning Daily-ites.

Prayers lifted to all our Daily friends who need a hug.

I have another list of prayers this morning. My sweet husband came down with a bad cold. We were up half the night. I have Tylenol, emergen C, cough drops and zinc. Tested him for Covid, and has no fever. Thankful to be at Half Moon Key as I won't go to shore.

Others on my list are girlfriends and their husbands coming down with Covid after a neighborhood Christmas party. I was told at least a dozen have it.

Tomorrow is another turn around day in FLL. We should be able to be back onboard by 11 if everyone shows up for turn around..

We had a very nice osso bucco in Canneletto last night. 

1226221744.thumb.jpg.318ef24edcd55280da53fcc9dee4f822.jpg

We are supposed to eat in Pinnacle tonight but I'm going to cancel and hang around our room.

Wishing all a wonderful and peaceful day. Be kind. Xx

• Like 25
  • Thanks 6

Good morning, everyone!

Welcome to @ocean sounds!

Temps are moderating here and today should be a nice day.  We even had sunshine  yesterday!   We went to the mall and walked around so that we had a warm place to walk. There weren't too many people there when we went.  Today we're doing the same downtown.  We'll visit the shops but probably won't buy anything, but we'll enjoy getting out.

Today's meal is another good one for winter.  Most of the recipes called for chorizo and potatoes, but a few of them had other ingredients.  This Spanish Chorizo & Potato Stew is one of Spain´s most classic dishes ever. It´s loaded with flavors, super easy to make and promises to fill your body with so much goodness. Serve it next to a crunchy baguette and a bottle of Spanish wine from La Rioja, for the ultimate Spanish experience.   https://spainonafork.com/classic-spanish-chorizo-potato-stew-recipe/

219671333_Spanishchorizostew1.jpg.8d1b9884a3a75424f5056710f920bfe9.jpg

The Food Network adds some swiss chard to it.  It is always nice to have greens in food as they are so good for us.   https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/chorizo-potato-stew-3363400

887384963_Spanishchorizostew2.thumb.jpeg.c153ad20f227392dd4a7519dbb91164f.jpeg

This stew from Rioja is simple but you do need to cut the potatoes correctly (into 'cachelos') to ensure that their starch thickens the liquid. Everyone loves this – it's a very wintry, weekend-y, comforting dish. You can't get it wrong. In Spain, every mum makes this.  https://thehappyfoodie.co.uk/recipes/potato-and-chorizo-stew-patatas-a-la-riojana/

803351956_Spanishchorizostew3.jpg.7db39bd5beb05180cc36a6c182efacf9.jpg

Spanish chicken and chorizo stew is a go-to recipe for an easy weeknight meal.  It’s simple to prepare (with little prep time), tastes delicious, and leaves plenty of leftovers for lunch the next day (important!). It’s hearty on a cold winter’s eve, but not so heavy that you can’t enjoy it in summer either, served alongside a refreshing Spanish salad.  https://spanishsabores.com/spanish-chicken-and-chorizo-stew-recipe/

2091067021_Spanishchorizostew4.jpg.03fa6359f3e9fecab1c64eaf3c7c45b4.jpg

This Spanish white bean stew with chorizo sausage is so good that everyone will believe you spent hours in the kitchen! The chorizo flavors the beans so beautifully, that even the ones who don’t like beans will certainly try a tablespoon or two. And who knows, you may turn them into bean lovers!

https://www.thehungrybites.com/spanish-white-bean-stew-with-chorizo-sausage/

174145103_Spanishchorizostew5.thumb.jpg.f17e9fb10d31d00a8692623c5c3e70be.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 9

Good morning everyone.  I’ll celebrate fruitcake, which I enjoy and maybe cut out a paper snowflake but I won’t be going to the zoo.  I like the quote.  The meal suggestion sounds delicious as does the drink. I’m sure there’ll be some nice photos of today’s port.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events and to those that have today off (me)!  Welcome to the Daily Report @ocean sounds we’re a friendly bunch. 

Edited by Mr. Boston
Additional text
  • Like 22

31 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I'm among those who love fruitcake, don't know if I've ever cut a snowflake, and have not visited a zoo in years (and won't at least until it warms up some).  I love the Lombardi quote.  Whangheri seems to be a very rarely visited port.  I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Country Style Buttermilk Chicken, my embarkation lunch on MS Ryndam December 28, 2014.  I have been on a BHB some year every calendar date from December 28 to May 5,

Today’s care list:

ger_77 DH Denturist visit
All without Electricity
Seasick Sailor’s hand
Marshhawk DH family illnesses
From the rotation:
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1) and JAM37 (7/7)
HAL Sailer Sister in Law with aggressive cancer therapy

Celebrations and Shoutouts:
Welcome aboard Ocean Sounds

Nieuw Statendam and

ns1227.thumb.JPG.e226e57d21be2509ec787203e312f798.JPG
Volendam in Everglades

vd1227.thumb.JPG.96e4d028682cbb3dd5f12867c02109c2.JPG
Kwanzaa (to Jan 1)
Welcome home aliaschief and ger_77
2 days for crystalspin, Vict0riann, and sailingdutchy(1/31) (Koningsdam 12/29 to 1/7/23)
2 days for Gail&Marty (Zuiderdam to 5/12/23)
Bon Voyage ottahand7 (Volendam 12/27 to 3/18/23)
Cruisin Terri (Insignia  to 12/28) at sea
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  Kazu and Av8rix (Koningsdam  to 1/7/23), Damcruiser (Nieuw Statendam  to 1/14/23), Seasick Sailor (Rotterdam  to 1/25/23), and indaler (Volendam  to 3/18/23),  richwmn and HorizonChaser1957 (Zuiderdam  to 5/12/23) at sea

Roy

Thank you for today's comprehensive lists Roy.

Graham.

• Like 8

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I enjoy a piece of light fruitcake once in a while, but DH absolutely loves it - he could eat an entire cake by himself.  Like @rafinmdI do enjoy a zoo, but not in the winter.  We made cut out snowflakes with the grandsons just a couple of days ago - some were, well, very creative.  LOL

@ocean soundswelcome to the Daily!  We're an interesting group of folks who are very caring and supportive of one another.

@ottahand7Bon Voyage today - will we see you on the webcam at sail-away?

@Seasick Sailorsorry to hear DH is unwell; hopefully the cold is short lived.  Also, not good news about your friends with Covid after a Christmas party!

I think we had someone watching out for us that made us come home yesterday.  After traveling on highways that were relatively clear of snow and ice, just shortly after we passed an area, the RCMP closed it down due to black ice and accidents.  Sadly, one person lost their life in a head-on collision about an hour after we were at that exact location.  And, to top things off, this morning there is a freezing rain warning that covers the entire highway from our city to the provincial border (about 200 miles), so that would have made our trip home treacherous, if not deadly.

Today will be busy - laundry from our Calgary trip, then getting the suitcases out on the spare bed to get packing for our cruise.  Fortunately, shorts, t-shirts, and dresses for me, and shorts, golf shirts, pants, dress shirt and blazer for DH don't take up much room, so we'll be traveling relatively light compared to what I packed for our trans-Atlantic in November.  

I like today's menu suggestion, but I've got the turkey carcass in the fridge just waiting to hit the soup pot this morning.  It'll simmer all day and will provide us with a few meals over the coming days.  Whatever is left will be frozen to enjoy on days when neither of us feels like cooking anything.  It'll be steaming hot bowls of turkey soup with crusty buns at the dinner table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, especially the people who have been impacted by the storms.  Cheers for all who have celebrations going on.  Stay safe, be well.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 25