The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday December 27th, 2022

rafinmd

30 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Daily-ites.

Prayers lifted to all our Daily friends who need a hug.

I have another list of prayers this morning. My sweet husband came down with a bad cold. We were up half the night. I have Tylenol, emergen C, cough drops and zinc. Tested him for Covid, and has no fever. Thankful to be at Half Moon Key as I won't go to shore.

Others on my list are girlfriends and their husbands coming down with Covid after a neighborhood Christmas party. I was told at least a dozen have it.

Tomorrow is another turn around day in FLL. We should be able to be back onboard by 11 if everyone shows up for turn around..

We had a very nice osso bucco in Canneletto last night. 

1226221744.thumb.jpg.318ef24edcd55280da53fcc9dee4f822.jpg

We are supposed to eat in Pinnacle tonight but I'm going to cancel and hang around our room.

Wishing all a wonderful and peaceful day. Be kind. Xx

Sending you our prayers 🙏 Joy for Allen to recover quickly.

Prayers 🙏 also for all your friends and their husbands who caught covid from a neighbourhood party.

I have been tired and sleeping more than usual the last few days so took a COVID test but fortunately it was negative.

Screenshot_20221224_110439.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good morning  .It is warmer today but there is no sun. I avoid fruitcake,have cut out many snowflakes  and enjoy the zoo.It was good to see that the 12 year old  grandchildren  still tolerated visiting the zoo with us.We went in April and it was not crowded.

I am liking the looks of the first recipe today but have a pot roast bubbling in the crackpot for tonight.I don't  feel much like eating but I have started cooking again fir the group.

@ger_77, Gerry, I loved seeing the beautiful ,Joy picture of the two of you yesterday. I am glad you made it home safely  and hope the dental work  goes well.

@cat shepard,Ann ,I hope the sinuses  improve  today.It is very painful to fly with that going on.

@Seasick Sailor, I hope you both get some rest today and that Allen feels better soon.

20220428_124000.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 4

We’ve been on the road for 1.5 hours heading home. There was light snow yesterday all the way to Georgia so hoping for no slippery spots. 

welcome to the new Dailyite!  Sorry to hear dear Allen is sick. And that port in New Zealand may be a repeat but I’m not equipped in the car to look it up. I’ll check in when we get home later today. Praying for a safe trip home. Have a great day all!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

33 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily! @ocean sounds welcome & I hope you enjoy this group as much as I do. So many people contribute, but more importantly care!

Roy, thank you again for playing triple duty! It is a balmy 35 here this morning.  I’ll take it! When I left my nephew’s house yesterday, it was 10. 😎 It was good to be home and sleep in my own bed.  Bindi was happy to come home too. 

I suspect I brought the bad cold back with me. My sinuses have been aching since I woke up yesterday, and the flight did not help. But I will survive. Aldi, Bindi walks, and possibly one gym class are in my future. 

My window for Holiday memes is closing fast….

B0D29527-1514-4D82-8584-FE41AC34F318.jpeg.2a3a6ff470fdce4b90e8d5155c86157a.jpeg

84EBF108-8565-4373-AAFF-5973B0E2F769.jpeg.d5977eadae3baceecc1e21c10b5a5fcc.jpeg

E6BD8A57-1AB1-4CC0-ADAF-2EF87DA696DE.jpeg.abab8077d5dad8ee5b35690405e8a954.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support- @smitty34877 Terry, so happy to read your progress!  Cheers to all who are celebrating!

Get well & stay well everyone!

Sun Garden 2018 Sweet Red Dornfelder (Rheinhessen) Germany

Sweet, red wine lovers take note - this wine has quite a few consumer fans. It has a very good rating from at least one critic, and has a very reasonable price tag. I found several online distributors with prices starting at $10.99.

86 Wine Enthusiast 

Flavors of red cherry, menthol and preserved plum are accented by a hint of burnt caramel in this luscious sweet-style Dornfelder. Plush in texture and edged by very soft, feathery tannins, it's an easy-drinking, welcoming red best consumed young. 

Sending healing thoughts your way Ann along with Pauline's best wishes for your sinusitis to clear.

Graham.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

We’ve been on the road for 1.5 hours heading home. There was light snow yesterday all the way to Georgia so hoping for no slippery spots. 

welcome to the new Dailyite!  Sorry to hear dear Allen is sick. And that port in New Zealand may be a repeat but I’m not equipped in the car to look it up. I’ll check in when we get home later today. Praying for a safe trip home. Have a great day all!

Take care Sandi and prayers 🙏 for you both to get home safely.

Graham 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, ocean sounds said:

I’ve recently found your Daily posts, and have been enjoying them very much !

. Could I add something regarding fruitcakes?  Collin Street Bakery in Corsicana, TX is a global supplier of fruitcakes.  There was a  good documentary last year on Discovery + (“Fruitcake Fraud”)  on the multi million dollar embezzlement from the bakery.  Here is an article about it 

https://fwtx.com/culture/fruitcake-fraud-digs-into-collin-street-bakery-embezzlement-/

Have a nice day, everyone.  Thank you for all the reading enjoyment you provide in the daily reports.

Welcome and thanks for the interesting article link.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Sending you our prayers 🙏 Joy for Allen to recover quickly.

Prayers 🙏 also for all your friends and their husbands who caught covid from a neighbourhood party.

I have been tired and sleeping more than usual the last few days so took a COVID test but fortunately it was negative.

Screenshot_20221224_110439.jpg

Thank you Graham. Very kind of you. X

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

@ger_77probably not today because we have a window cabin but a week from today we have a Vista port side towards the stern.  I will be waving my Ravens flag.  I will send a message to the shop arrival page next week to watch for us.  I hope it clears up so there is a nice sail away. 

• Like 15

Thank you for the Daily Report! 

We had an absolutely awesome visit with my dd and her SO.  They found a winery that was open yesterday because they wanted to bring a bottle of something.  It was the one right across the street from us.  Unfortunately my dd bought a red wine.  I had a taste and I still don't enjoy red wines.  

• Like 17

Top of the morning to you all. Another below freezing morning but forecast show warming even into seventies later this week. We enjoyed our oyster stew dinner and everyone was early to bed after our trip across Florida. Our guest want more oysters for lunch so tomorrow will probably go to Lulu’s restaurant which is owned by Jimmy Buffets sister. They have really good fried oysters.

Little one is still sleeping so there is some peace in the casa!

Thanks for all who make the Daily special,  prayers for those in need and wishes to all for a joyous and safe day.

Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.0533d5f25d2edc3509396220355f8fa1.jpegimage.jpeg.e1248c32dccf1442bf709e7f1277002e.jpegimage.jpeg.ffd1dc2d52cb1f517e8b9de26a8d6a74.jpegimage.jpeg.452c241ff0381a64937aacf80ff52311.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Haha 13

Good morning from a sunny, wind still, but cold 29F central Texas.  I'm off the the store in a few minutes.  

DH likes fruitcakes, and I used to make them until the last batch remained forgotten in the freezer and turned into bricks.  My father used to send Collin Street Bakery fruitcakes to friends and business associates for Christmas.  The last zoo we visited was on a tour in Manaus.  The last time we cut out snowflakes was then the DDs were little.

I like today's quote.

The meal sounds interesting for a cold day.  We'll pass on the drink and the wine.  We're just not into sweet wines.

We have been the Whangarei in 2002 when the Volendam called at the Bay of Islands.  Here are links to Rich's @richwmn posts when Whangarei was the port of the day.

The Daily for Wednesday 02/09/2022

richwmn

By richwmn,
February 9 in Holland America Line

The Daily for Monday August 30, 2021

richwmn

By richwmn,
August 30, 2021 in Holland America Line

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, I'm sorry about Jim's accident and hope the leg heals quickly.  We were both surprised that in rough seas, they did a breathalyzer test.

@JazzyV  Vanessa, I hope your eye is better today.

@ocean sounds  Welcome to the Fleet/Daily where you will find the friendliest, most caring people on CC.  Thanks for the link to the story about the Collin Street Bakery.  I'd forgotten about it.  If any one is interested here is a link to Collin Street Bakery:  https://collinstreet.com/

@ottahand7  Nancy, 🥂 🍾  BON VOYAGE! 🎈 🛳️

@Seasick Sailor   Joy, I'm sorry Allen has a cold, and hope he is better soon.  Also, sorry so many got covid after the Christmas party.

@ger_77  Gerry, so glad you made it home safely and before the roads turned deadly.  Loved the picture of the two of you.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, safe travels today.  BTW, I found the links to today's port.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 3

I posted these pictures on February 9, 2022.

We have been to the Bay of Islands once on the Volendam on the APEX cruise in 2002.  I posted a few pictures when Whangarei was the port last August.  Since we tendered into Paihia near Waitangi, I will post the pictures I didn't share then.  

It was cloudy in the morning when we arrived, but by the afternoon the clouds had burned off and it was a glorious day.  Once off the tender, we walked around town checking the sites and things to do.  We booked a boat tour for the afternoon and took a private drive in the country with one of the locals before the boat trip.  

These are pictures of town in the morning and in the afternoon.

IMG_2020.thumb.JPG.dc5c3b0ca8f8f0e9b2f1d671f5774b05.JPG

IMG_2049.thumb.JPG.e82b9badfc5b2725915add96c6bae30e.JPG

IMG_2050.thumb.JPG.02a932985e683a3f6dfb0f49c274b17d.JPG

IMG_2124.thumb.JPG.b2574b201d6772b83e4eaf3a81efa67a.JPG

A few pictures from our drive in the country including a stop at Haruru Falls.  We were lucky that it was in November and there was water flowing over the falls.

IMG_2032.thumb.JPG.fdd42b829c81422922fc87bae5be486f.JPG

IMG_2031.thumb.JPG.dca8415d6f2f2d77ea59e18bef8597db.JPG

IMG_2042.thumb.JPG.5c0f46f0038848bae6f16af07a5188f1.JPG

IMG_2038.thumb.JPG.7b69fed40ac1c86f108edcd10991f296.JPG

Our boat tour took us around the Bay and out to the Hole in the Rock, where we actually motored through the hole.

IMG_2078.thumb.JPG.75c99151293adadcd21c4cc5677dc97e.JPG

IMG_2104.thumb.JPG.2ada51ba873fcaebf82675b5a35748cf.JPG

IMG_2107.thumb.JPG.40cd38b25d36702e97b52c2c6e374e4d.JPG

IMG_2110.thumb.JPG.c421785ebf344db6cd9888cba1791d99.JPG

IMG_2111.thumb.JPG.1eedcd12587306fecc61369957cb911d.JPG

Volendam from the tour boat

IMG_2062.thumb.JPG.11eaeafb0c195d0449aede9908ecc19e.JPG

I'll close with the beautiful sunset as we sailed toward Auckland.

IMG_2129.thumb.JPG.97c46d5cf5723febdf65192d478257a8.JPG

Lenda

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

Good Tuesday Morning Dailyites!

337281_pc.jpg

Well you know I love fruitcake (claxton) and I have done cut out snowflakes, and I dont really like zoos, I do understand that they are important for continuing certain animals lives,   And for humans to study the animals, and for us to appreciate the animals, but only if the animals are actually in a space that is conducive to them,   And zoos have changed a lot since in the last 50 plus years.  But when I see animals on cement floors, and behind bars, it puts me off a lot.  And yes, that still is happening around the world. 

about snow.  You know I wanted a white Christmas, and that didn't happen, but last night when we were debating about putting the very last log on the fire, or to go to sleep, I looked outside and it was snowing!  We bundled up, took the cameras and went out.  There was one patch on the street that is still pure snow.  I walked along the long patch, and heard that wonderful sound of crunching under my feet.  It was wonderful!  But while the weatherman says it's not a problem on the roadways, um, we have ice all over our streets.  so going no where this morning.

With regards to the quote, when I get knocked down, i still get up, but I have to use the furniture in the den to assist.

@rafinmdRoy, you can remove the DH's family from the list-My DBIL is now home following his hip surgery.  He was in rehab for a couple of days, and they let him out before Christmas, and my DMIL is doing as best she can with the broken arm.  Unfortunately if something is not going the way she wants, she ignores the questions and becomes vague.  So as far as we know, she is getting assistance at home, and doing all right.

@ocean soundsWelcome to the Daily!  

d3ffeade10a6c35887305c4a1bc2508d--spotted-dick-christmas-humor.jpg

florida_winter.jpg

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 7

7 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

I posted these pictures on February 9, 2022.

We have been to the Bay of Islands once on the Volendam on the APEX cruise in 2002.  I posted a few pictures when Whangarei was the port last August.  Since we tendered into Paihia near Waitangi, I will post the pictures I didn't share then.  

It was cloudy in the morning when we arrived, but by the afternoon the clouds had burned off and it was a glorious day.  Once off the tender, we walked around town checking the sites and things to do.  We booked a boat tour for the afternoon and took a private drive in the country with one of the locals before the boat trip.  

These are pictures of town in the morning and in the afternoon.

IMG_2020.thumb.JPG.dc5c3b0ca8f8f0e9b2f1d671f5774b05.JPG

IMG_2049.thumb.JPG.e82b9badfc5b2725915add96c6bae30e.JPG

IMG_2050.thumb.JPG.02a932985e683a3f6dfb0f49c274b17d.JPG

IMG_2124.thumb.JPG.b2574b201d6772b83e4eaf3a81efa67a.JPG

A few pictures from our drive in the country including a stop at Haruru Falls.  We were lucky that it was in November and there was water flowing over the falls.

IMG_2032.thumb.JPG.fdd42b829c81422922fc87bae5be486f.JPG

IMG_2031.thumb.JPG.dca8415d6f2f2d77ea59e18bef8597db.JPG

IMG_2042.thumb.JPG.5c0f46f0038848bae6f16af07a5188f1.JPG

IMG_2038.thumb.JPG.7b69fed40ac1c86f108edcd10991f296.JPG

Our boat tour took us around the Bay and out to the Hole in the Rock, where we actually motored through the hole.

IMG_2078.thumb.JPG.75c99151293adadcd21c4cc5677dc97e.JPG

IMG_2104.thumb.JPG.2ada51ba873fcaebf82675b5a35748cf.JPG

IMG_2107.thumb.JPG.40cd38b25d36702e97b52c2c6e374e4d.JPG

IMG_2110.thumb.JPG.c421785ebf344db6cd9888cba1791d99.JPG

IMG_2111.thumb.JPG.1eedcd12587306fecc61369957cb911d.JPG

Volendam from the tour boat

IMG_2062.thumb.JPG.11eaeafb0c195d0449aede9908ecc19e.JPG

I'll close with the beautiful sunset as we sailed toward Auckland.

IMG_2129.thumb.JPG.97c46d5cf5723febdf65192d478257a8.JPG

Lenda

Thanks Lena. Your pictures brought back fond memories of our visit there on the MaS Oosterdam.

• Like 12

I also don't mind a good fruitcake.  The last year I worked I purchased a Fruit Cake from the Colin Street Bakery for the girls at work.  Unfortunately, only one of them liked it, so I was forced to eat most of it myself.  I made the sacrifice for them.  Although I have been accused of being a fruit cake from time to time, more often than not I was called an ignorant donkey.  Well, that is the politically correct version of what they called me.

• Like 10
  • Haha 12

1 hour ago, 4966and556 said:

Thank you for the Daily Report! 

We had an absolutely awesome visit with my dd and her SO.  They found a winery that was open yesterday because they wanted to bring a bottle of something.  It was the one right across the street from us.  Unfortunately my dd bought a red wine.  I had a taste and I still don't enjoy red wines.  

Send it my way, I'll drink it. 🙂  I wouldn't want it to go to waste.

• Like 5
  • Haha 7

Good morning from the Pacific Northwest!

It's pouring rain right now and the gutters are overflowing. It's better than the snow! I do hope it clears up before I have to drive south to Edmonds (north of Seattle) for a Christmas celebration with DH's side of the family. He'll miss out but I'll have his siblings up for lunch once he's home. 

We have a tradition I started probably 20 or more years ago when it was our turn to host Christmas. I picked up a tinned fruit cake and on the bottom noted our names and the date. Then I passed it on to the family who was hosting the next year's celebration. We've continued that tradition and the bottom of the tin is covered with dates and names. We've not opened up the plastic wrap on the fruitcake yet. 

Lots of snowflake cutting over the years. I taught 6th grade for 30+ years and "snow" was the theme in January. I had books of snowflake patterns we'd cut out as well as lots of free form ones. 

Today's plan is to be out of the house by 9:30 and head down to see DH for an hour or two then head to Edmonds for a 12:30 - 3:30 get-together. I'll also stop on the way back to see DH. DS and DDIL didn't come to finish opening gifts last night as DDIL had a migraine so they may come today or we'll wait for the weekend. 

Have a good day everyone! 

Karen

• Like 19

Good morning, we are in Vancouver airport and Pat has gone to Timmie’s for coffee.  So far, so good.  Seems like our flight to SD is on time.  Lots of walking, eventually they got me a wheelchair as I was flagging.  I’ll be taking Tylenol tomorrow!  Nexus was great, but they don’t have the mobile passport gate yet.  And our bags made it, too, our AirTags notified me.  

welcome to @ocean sounds!  Nice to see a new face among us.  Thanks to Roy for all the Fleet Report and Daily news.  

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1