Southwest cancellations...

Jim and Monika

We are worried about all the Southwest cancellations, we are flying to Miami on Tuesday January 4 for our cruise on Wednesday. We are afraid our flight might get cancelled last minute. We would still have time to drive, but they would have our luggage. Not sure if we should try renting a car to drive down and fly back, or just drive our own car, Not worried about the drive down, just not sure we want to drive back after our cruise.

The southwest board on Reddit is a pretty interesting read. Some people were rebooked today but not until 1/13/23 so I think the issues will be prolonged. OTOH, it seems a few people reported getting out today but with half full planes, so they suggest if you get stranded, put yourself on the standby list. 

Also, if checking luggage, buy AirTags. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Jim and Monika said:

We are worried about all the Southwest cancellations, we are flying to Miami on Tuesday January 4 for our cruise on Wednesday. We are afraid our flight might get cancelled last minute. We would still have time to drive, but they would have our luggage. Not sure if we should try renting a car to drive down and fly back, or just drive our own car, Not worried about the drive down, just not sure we want to drive back after our cruise.

No one can predict the future but they've had a complete system failure. Who knows what's going to happen in a weeks time. Going into MIA i'd look hard at AA depending on where you live. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Jim and Monika said:

We had a similar situation in 2018 with a hurricane.  We ended up renting a car in Maryland and driving down to Florida the day before the cruise.  We got as far as St Augustine and spent the night, finishing the drive in the morning.  If you rent from Avis, there's a city office to return at just on the mainland not far from the port.  You'll pay about $200 in drop fees ($0.20/mile) for the one way rental, but there's peace of mind.  Rent another for the return, or take your chances with a flight back.

OP, I think you'll have a much better handle by this weekend.  For what it's worth, SWA purposefully tanked their schedule these last 2-3 days so they wouldn't have to prolong the pain.  Friday's cancellation pattern will give a good indication still leaving you with plenty of time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CajunOyster said:

Nah, if it were Spirit or Frontier I'd agree with you.  But I think Southwest is TBTF.

Yeah, the largest airline in the country ain't going anywhere.  But they will be getting a whole bunch of new crew management software.  Damn shame that they didn't react after the October '21 meltdown.  Now Mayor Pete is going to be 'supervising'. Very expensive lesson. Not impossible that heads roll.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, jsglow said:

Yeah, the largest airline in the country ain't going anywhere.  But they will be getting a whole bunch of new crew management software.  Damn shame that they didn't react after the October '21 meltdown.  Now Mayor Pete is going to be 'supervising'. Very expensive lesson. Not impossible that heads roll.

Actually, I think SW is 4th.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ChutChut said:

Actually, I think SW is 4th.

Depends on what you're counting.  You're right that they're fourth in most categories like fleet size and daily departures.  I think they're still third in passenger count though.  Either way I still think they're TBTF though.

We are booked on southwest out of midway on 1/20 to MCO. We’re closely watching and have a backup plan to drive. It’s sucks and I really don’t want to, but I won’t miss this cruise! It’s a serious mess but a friend of mine is a FA with southwest and really thinks we’ll be fine by the time we fly. Fingers crossed for you. But I’d make the decision to drive before you check your bags. 

Edited by kelkel2
  • Like 1

Little off topic, I had to run to Orlando MCO airport today to drop someone off as well as look for my SIL's bags that went missing almost a week ago.

While there, I noticed quite a few labeled "Cruise" and day the bags arrived.

Meaning, many are onboard ships with nothing....

Edited by EngIceDave
  • Like 1

How far is the drive? Checking other airlines this weekend, the cheapest flight to Florida was $1600 on American and nearly 3 grand on delta, but I’m 2000 miles away from Miami. So the other airlines are getting in on the gouging game. If it was me, I’d wait and see how they handle this weekend, if they’re still canceling most of the flights, hit the road on Monday. Stressing over a flight is not a great way to begin a vacation. There is also a good chance of another storm moving over the Rockies on Monday, that’ll mess things up in Denver and Chicago for the first half of next week.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Joehult said:

How far is the drive? Checking other airlines this weekend, the cheapest flight to Florida was $1600 on American and nearly 3 grand on delta, but I’m 2000 miles away from Miami. So the other airlines are getting in on the gouging game. If it was me, I’d wait and see how they handle this weekend, if they’re still canceling most of the flights, hit the road on Monday. Stressing over a flight is not a great way to begin a vacation. There is also a good chance of another storm moving over the Rockies on Monday, that’ll mess things up in Denver and Chicago for the first half of next week.

Pretty cheap here by comparison.  OP is in Maryland (as we are).  We have the luxury of three major airports all within about an hour to choose from.

2 hours ago, Jim and Monika said:

My advice, FWIW, things for Southwest will get better after 1/2. The 4th, is cutting it close,  I would have a back up plan, just in case. It seems to be heavily hit by Denver and Chicago connects… maybe you will be spared by that. 

3 hours ago, Jim and Monika said:

Check FlightAware.com for currently operating flights on that route.  

• Like 1

I really feel for the folks that got truly stuck over the holiday.  Our son was unable to travel to visit his grandparents last week but at least had a warm bed back home. He was able to successfully tweak his trip from Christmas to New Year's and is on holiday now hearing grandpa's stories. We ourselves offered lodging to a good friend's son. Fortunately he was able to rent a car and make his drive home.

If you get a call, the only answer is 'Of course they're welcome for as long as they need.'

My brother and family just drove nonstop two days ago from Pgh., PA to Miami to make a flight and a cruise when their local PA flight was cancelled.  Yes, a real pain, but they chose a solution that worked for them.  They are planning to catch the Amtrak auto-train home so they are not stuck driving so far both ways.  Keeping my fingers crossed for all!

• Like 1

We always fly in the day before and keep it in the back of our head that if something crazy happened, we could just hop in the car and drive down. We do live super close to O'Hare too, so that helps. BUT - we also only do carry on luggage, so that's never a problem either. I would definitely pack for just carry on only, so that if the worst happens, you can drive it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jim and Monika said:

We have same issue in MD also & deciding to cancel my flight since I would not have enough time to drive if they wait, it's 17 hours with traffic could be 24.