The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday December 31st, 2022

rafinmd

Today is National Champagne Day, New Year's Eve, and World Peace Meditation Day

Once you replace negative thoughts with positive ones, you'll start having positive results. Willie Nelson -Musician

Meal Suggestion for today - Roasted Mushroom Parmesan Sandwich
Drink of the Day - Le Provocateur
Wine of the Day - Veuve Clicquot Yellow Label Brut, Champagne, France
Destination of the Day - Nuku alofa, Tonga

Eurodam

San Juan, Puerto Rico 13:00 - 18:00

Koningsdam

Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Mexico 11:00 - 19:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas 08:00 - 15:00

Nieuw Statendam

Castries, St Lucia Island 08:00 - 16:00

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Ushuaia, Argentina eta 01/04

Rotterdam

Ocho Rios, Jamaica 07:00 - 16:00

Volendam

St Thomas Island USVI, Charlotte Amalie, US Virgin Islands 08:00 - 16:00

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Grand Turk Island, Cockburn Town, Turks and Caic eta 01/01

Zuiderdam

Puerto Plata-Amber Cove, Dominicana 09:00 -

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

At Sea Destination Sydney, NSW Australia eta 1-02

Westerdam

Melbourne, Victoria Australia 08:00 - 18:30

Capture1.JPG.73ada8e3d14d2341a8278205e368dae7.JPG

Capture2.JPG.269361343d0d1fd3cf99a0444dd1f82f.JPG

Roy for @richwmn

• Like 27
  • Thanks 10

Good New Years morning from sunny St. Thomas. We are celebrating with champagne tonight in the Pinnacle Grill.  We are staying onboard today as we have been to St. Thomas in February. A day of peace and quiet and hopefully faster internet. I am using my phone service right now.  

Prayers for all needing them and on our Care List.  We will be toasting tonight with some Veuve Clicquot!   🍾 Happy New Year everyone.  Nancy 

IMG_20221229_102354489_HDR.jpg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today's fleet reports,Daily and Lists Roy.

3 great days.

We are planning a quiet night at home tonight.

Excellent quote and it is good if we can always have positive thoughts.

Good wishes for better health to everyone on the care list.

Very best wishes for a Happy new year.

Graham.

happy-new-year-2023-champagne-gif.gif

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Report.

It's a rainy day here.

We'll have take out Chinese food for dinner tonight.  I wish I had a bottle of Veuve Cliquot - maybe we'll make a run to the liquor store.🙂

Happy New Year everyone.  I hope it's a good year for everyone.🥂

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich & Ron! Really foggy here this morning. Almost eerie. Bindi would not go out. We might get some much needed rain later. 

Roy thank you for everything you do with keeping our lists and covering for people. I am heading to Zumba this morning. I will start putting away Christmas decorations. At least the inside ones. I will leave the tree and outside lights up awhile longer. I just hate taking them down. 

BF609974-803C-4CDD-9769-043A88DE2AB8.jpeg.eb0b38450f8a0fb6624a408de520b11a.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Get well & stay well everyone!

Happy New Year’s Eve!

11B5E493-9B35-4ED7-AB64-DB3DD45D7F65.jpeg.4193ea72c3fa3b280caf59bec318e6de.jpeg

Veuve Clicquot Yellow Label Brut, Champagne, France

Wht are the odds of a sparkling wine coming up for New Year’s Eve? I think Rich worked some magic for us. This one has a great many consumer and expert fans and is not outrageously expensive. Widely available with prices starting at $58.96.

Winemaker Notes

Veuve Clicquot Yellow Label is the signature champagne of the House. Dominated by Pinot Noir, it offers a perfect balance of structure and finesse.

First, Veuve Clicquot Yellow Label looks beautiful: golden-yellow, with a foaming necklace of tiny bubbles. Next it is so pleasing to the nose: initially reminiscent of yellow and white fruits, then of vanilla and later of brioche. Note the fine balance between the fruity aromas coming from the grape varieties and the toasty aromas, the result of the three years of bottle aging. The first sip delivers all the freshness and strength so typical of Veuve Clicquot Yellow Label with a symphony of fruit tastes following (pear, lemon). Here is a true member of the Brut family, well structured, admirably vinous. The lingering aromas echo and re-echo, with each fruit or almond notes distinct. Veuve Clicquot Yellow Label manages to reconcile two opposing factors - strength and silkiness - and to hold them in perfect balance with aromatic intensity and a lot of freshness.

This consistent power to please makes it ideal as an apéritif, and perfect as the champagne to enjoy with a meal.

JS92 James Suckling
Toasty and generous with lemon freshness, this also has quite some dried-pear and peach aromas from mature elements of the blend, plus a touch of spice at the long, structured finish. The cuvée is based on 2015 and is 50% pinot noir, 30% chardonnay and 20% pinot meunier. Reserve wines make up more than one third of the blend. Drink now.
D91 Decanter

Noticeable fruit intensity and fresh notes of red fruits, fresh blueberries and a small amount of quince. Interesting and quite demanding. Blend : 55% Pinot Noir, 15% Pinot Meunier, 30% Chardonnay

W&S90 Wine & Spirits

Brisk lemon-lime flavors and floral apple clarity lend this wine its freshness and mineral-tinged refreshment. It smells like chalk, then the flavors are enriched by toasty brioche and spiciness from the lees aging. Simple and saturated, finely made in a grandmarque style. Best Buy

WE90 Wine Enthusiast
One of the most popular of all Champagnes, this is now showing a freshness that wasn't always there. The crisp texture and green-apple flavors give it an immediate drinkability as well as perfumed acidity and a vibrant aftertaste.
WS90 Wine Spectator
A crisp and lacy Champagne, with a hint of smoke underscoring flavors of poached apricot, pastry cream and pickled ginger. An overtone of Mandarin orange peel ties it all together.
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 10
  • Haha 2

Good morning friends!  Happy New Year's Eve to you all.  We don't have plans but I'm perplexed why my next door neighbors aren't having their annual neighborhood NYE party.  It's a tradition here.  Last year we didn't go due to Covid worries but this year I might have considered it.  Then again, it could have turned out like Joy's @Seasick Sailor's neighborhood Christmas party with a rash of positive Covid cases so maybe it's for the best.  We will go to bed at our usual times I bet, and hear a few fireworks going off around midnight.  DS and family are heading to Cancun this morning (if flights aren't cancelled but thankfully it will be Delta), where they will all ring in the new year and celebrate DDIL's birthday Jan. 2.  After 3 or 4 days they will head back to Michigan to get back to school.

Thanks Roy @rafinmdfor posting Rich's Daily and Fleet Report.  I see the Ooserdam appears to be leaving Antarctica for Ushuaia.  I haven't seen any reports from that ship but maybe I haven't had time to look for one.  Hurray for Champagne Day, and also for the wine of the day which is of course champagne.  A salute to World Peace Meditation Day.  We could use some peace in Ukraine.  I love the quote of the day and pass on the menu suggestion.   Thanks also in advance for the Care and Celebration lists.  Prayers for all especially for Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI who passed away this morning.  Cheers to our friends on the Daily celebrating and cruising.  Enjoy!

The port is Nuku' alofa, Tonga which I have never visited before.  It is the third time here for this port in Tonga so I will post a link to both dates for everyone who has photos to retrieve.  Thank you in advance to those who post some.

I believe I forgot my weather report for north central Georgia.  We have had rain overnight and expect more through the morning with it hopefully clearing out by mid afternoon.  Clouds after that.  It is 56F right now and will raise to 66 this afternoon.  We have no plans outside the house today and don't even have Christmas lights to think about taking down.  We weren't home much in December!  Will probably do laundry so how's that for an exciting end to 2022?

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Happy New Years Eve.

Le Provocateur cocktail:

Ingredients
2 parts Maker's Mark® Bourbon
1 1/2 parts Mathilde Poires (100% Natural Pear Liqueur)
1/2 part DeKuyper® Peachtree® Schnapps Liqueur
1/2 part fresh Lime Juice
2 dashes Bitters
Garnish Pear, Sliced

Instructions
Pour all ingredients in a shaker full of ice. Shake vigorously for about 20 seconds. Strain into a chilled martini glass. Garnish with a freshly cut slice of pear.

Screenshot 2022-12-31 at 7.30.49 AM.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 11

9 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  Happy New Year's Eve to you all.  We don't have plans but I'm perplexed why my next door neighbors aren't having their annual neighborhood NYE party.  It's a tradition here.  Last year we didn't go due to Covid worries but this year I might have considered it.  Then again, it could have turned out like Joy's @Seasick Sailor's neighborhood Christmas party with a rash of positive Covid cases so maybe it's for the best.  We will go to bed at our usual times I bet, and hear a few fireworks going off around midnight.  DS and family are heading to Cancun this morning (if flights aren't cancelled but thankfully it will be Delta), where they will all ring in the new year and celebrate DDIL's birthday Jan. 2.  After 3 or 4 days they will head back to Michigan to get back to school.

Thanks Roy @rafinmdfor posting Rich's Daily and Fleet Report.  I see the Ooserdam appears to be leaving Antarctica for Ushuaia.  I haven't seen any reports from that ship but maybe I haven't had time to look for one.  Hurray for Champagne Day, and also for the wine of the day which is of course champagne.  A salute to World Peace Meditation Day.  We could use some peace in Ukraine.  I love the quote of the day and pass on the menu suggestion.   Thanks also in advance for the Care and Celebration lists.  Prayers for all especially for Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI who passed away this morning.  Cheers to our friends on the Daily celebrating and cruising.  Enjoy!

The port is Nuku' alofa, Tonga which I have never visited before.  It is the third time here for this port in Tonga so I will post a link to both dates for everyone who has photos to retrieve.  Thank you in advance to those who post some.

I believe I forgot my weather report for north central Georgia.  We have had rain overnight and expect more through the morning with it hopefully clearing out by mid afternoon.  Clouds after that.  It is 56F right now and will raise to 66 this afternoon.  We have no plans outside the house today and don't even have Christmas lights to think about taking down.  We weren't home much in December!  Will probably do laundry so how's that for an exciting end to 2022?

Wishing your DS and his family a wonderful holiday Sandi.

Happy birthday to your DDIL.

happy-birthday-puppy.gif

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Greetings from (almost) Amber Cove, Dominican Republic.

The holiday cruise is almost over and it is about time for the World Cruise to begin.

At the end of the year it is traditional to reflect on the last year. I am thankful that I have been able to take three cruises and that I'm on board for the World Cruise. Even more, I am thankful for everyone who has made the Fleet Report and Daily what it is. I have the honor of setting it up, and mostly posting the start, but it is everyone who responds that makes the thread what it is. I hope that it will continue to be the same in the coming year.

Happy New Year to all From Zuiderdam!

Rich

• Like 41
  • Thanks 10

3 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Greetings from (almost) Amber Cove, Dominican Republic.

The holiday cruise is almost over and it is about time for the World Cruise to begin.

At the end of the year it is traditional to reflect on the last year. I am thankful that I have been able to take three cruises and that I'm on board for the World Cruise. Even more, I am thankful for everyone who has made the Fleet Report and Daily what it is. I have the honor of setting it up, and mostly posting the start, but it is everyone who responds that makes the thread what it is. I hope that it will continue to be the same in the coming year.

Happy New Year to all From Zuiderdam!

Rich

Thank you Rich for the fleet reports and Daily.

Happy new year.

ny-278.gif

• Like 19

Happy New Year's Eve to our fellow Daily-ites on day #21, Ocho Rios, Jamaica, on the lovely Rotterdam.

Lifting prayers for all who need them. Birthday wishes to Sandi's DDIL. Lots of New Year's cheers will be happening tonight! 

Bon Voyage Rich! Thank you for the glue holding our Daily Family together. Have an awesome cruise.

The laundry fairy called and will deliver our now found laundry. I did not get the story as to what happened. 

Last night's dinner in MDR: Allen loved the chiliI reinos. When I can't find something I like, I order lobster. I've had it 6 or 7 times...

There's a very nice dinner menu in MDR tonight. Yes, steak and lobster for those wondering..

We are sitting at our same favorite table as we did last year. Here's last year's picture:

1231211711.thumb.jpg.af3da33a0cd084425c3488d93361750a.jpg

There was a picture of the 2 of us, but I deleted it as it looked like I was wearing a chandalier on my head, as @ger_77 remarked, lol.

My sweet husband is starting to stir, so I will sign off for now. He's a bit better but the cough.. Ewww. Today is covid testing for our friends again. I'm praying they all test negative and start the new year on a "positive note"

Blessings and prayers for the 4 Idaho students/victim's families. Thankful they caught the killer.

Bless our Pope Benedict as God opens his arms to welcome him to heaven.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I will definitely celebrate Champagne Day, New Year's Eve and will meditate for world peace.  As we bring the year to a close, I want to thank @richwmnfor getting the Daily started, and for everyone who contributes, whether on a regular basis or whenever they can.  I look forward to turning on the computer every morning to see what my friends are up to.

Yesterday was busy, but didn't turn out the way I thought it might.  First of all, we had a phone call that DH's aunt passed away at age 97.  She had been in frail health for the past few months, so it wasn't a surprise.  Then a couple of hours later, I found out a cousin of mine had suffered a fatal stroke at age 75.  Later in the afternoon, our son called to say that his DW's grandmother passed away in Japan; nobody seems to know just how old she is, but she is in her 90's.   I've heard that things come in 3's, and I've subscribed to that theory, but never thought they would all come on the same day.

I've got all our things packed and the luggage pieces only weigh about 30 or 34 pounds, so I'm well within the limits.  Today after I get my nails done, DH and I have to head to the Apple store because the AirTags I bought this summer aren't working.  I tried replacing the battery in one, but it still wouldn't connect with my phone.  Hopefully they can figure out what's going on, because I can't imagine they're only good for 1 trip!

Being a carnivore, I'm going to take a pass on today's menu suggestion.  I don't care for the mouth feel of mushroom in a sandwich.  Just thinking about it makes me shiver.  LOL  Instead, we'll be having our last meal of 2022 that will consist of lemon pasta with shrimp and a side salad at the kitchen table.  And wine - sparkly wine - Frexinet!

Prayers for everyone who is in need, especially for the soul of Pope Benedict today.  Cheers to all with celebrations, and Happy New Year to all my friends here at the Daily!

1539612996_NewYearBeach.jpg.1c4a14295ba7bfb5434298747ba2a7a9.jpg

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 35
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

The laundry fairy called and will deliver our now found laundry. I did not get the story as to what happened. 

I am envisioning that HAL put out an APB for your laundry, Joy! They might even have an entire detective squad devoted to this important function. 

• Like 21

Thanks for the Fleet update and general info.

Happy New Year! And how special that New Year’s Eve is the same day as National Champagne Day (hiccup); I guess I got started a little to early. I really like today. Stay home, get in my lounger on the back poach, and watch fireworks. Yes, I have my own personnel fireworks from the neighbors on each side of me who use our property to fire away; because it the most clear and flat property on our pond. I don’t think I will see a cruise ship floating by, maybe a paddle boat or kayak along with some alligators who love the fireworks display. Y’all all have a great and safe time tonite!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

As stated yesterday it will be a quiet at home New Years Eve with tonight’s special dinner being homemade French Onion Soup. The onions have been simmering over night in the crock pot which really eases the process. Maybe a couple of glasses of Dom Chandon! Saw on the news the other night that there is a worldwide shortage of Champagne due to the fact consumption really skyrocketed during pandemic.

We usually celebrate New Years on Iceland time as there is no way we’ll make it to midnight.

Decorations are coming down today so we can start preparing for our upcoming cruise.

Thank for the Reports and Post. Wishing all of you a Happy and Healthy New Year!

image.thumb.jpeg.f83425080180d5b5863080c1eaaf40ca.jpegimage.jpeg.07ea7e4276c95733693e10c0c638688a.jpegimage.jpeg.719109ee0633cf07fbb4b984a4877672.jpeg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 11

Greetings all. We will have a quiet New Year’s Eve and probably be in bed by 10pm! Our grand dog is still with us and not happy with the weather. It is raining and she doesn’t wAnt to go outside to do her business, just crosses her legs lol.

the world cruise blogs have started! Each day promises to be busy just catching up with what everyone is doing. It will be interesting to get the different perspectives. Sad to see that @Scrapnana had to cancel and is currently in hospital. 

wishing everyone a happy new year however you are celebrating. Good health and much happiness for 2023!

forgot to mention we will be having roasted sea bass for dinner tonight with a green salad and a yet as undecided vegetable. Grilled would be better but we no longer have a bbq! Will also be making an African peanut stew in the slow cooker to start us off in the new year.

Edited by superoma
Add info
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for this page. I look forward to coming here each morning. I travel with those at sea, I pray for those who are having trouble, I laugh at the cartoon postings. You have become an extended family for me. I wish you all a Happy New Year.

• Like 33
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, everyone!   

We had a houseful last night for Farkle.  Brother Bill and his wife, niece Liz and her husband, and nephew Ian's SO and 2 year old daughter.  Bill is hoping he is called off work tonight so he can come back.  But, he said the Call Off Queen is also scheduled to work so chances are slim.  

2022 has had its challenges, but mostly good things came my way.  I am so thankful for my beautiful new house and for being close to family.   Sue and I had a wonderful cruise to Norway in July and her lost luggage was found and delivered to her.  I had a wonderful opportunity to cruise again in October (two weeks before my big move) and to meet up with several CC Dailyites.  

The friendships made here on the Daily are a highlight.  Who knew how close a community we would create back in early 2020?  Many thanks to Rich @richwmn for inspiring us by expanding the Daily Fleet Location to include all it does today.   Thanks to Roy @rafinmd for stepping in while Rich is cruising and for keeping our prayer and celebration lists.  Thanks to @cat shepard Ann for the daily wine reviews and the memes.  I always get a laugh!   Thanks to @summer slope Dixie for the drink recipes.  Most of those look really good to me.  I hope I can remember some of them to try this summer when I'm on a BHB.   Thanks to everyone who contributes on a regular basis - all of you who post your port pictures have expanded my horizons and bucket list.  We've picked up great ideas like having a celebration tree all  year long that reflects the current season or holiday.  @ger_77 roll recipe will live on forever in so many more homes.  Everyone who posts here has made this what it is.  Thank you!!

Today's meal sounds good and could be pretty easy to make.   This first one lacks the directions because they are on a pay site, but most of us can figure it out.   https://www.copymethat.com/r/eMBnpA4bi/how-to-make-roasted-mushroom-parmesan-sa/

759238655_roastedmushroomparmsandwich1.jpg.114de2d496afe53f6bb40afd646ba58f.jpg

Here's a sheet  pan version.   https://thebrookcook.wordpress.com/2018/08/01/sheet-pan-crispy-mushroom-parmesan-sandwiches/

1636052040_roastedmushroomparmsandwich2.thumb.jpg.d11486f8374950c51fa1f83a3d32a886.jpg

This next one looks like something I'd like to try someday.  https://justinesnacks.com/crispy-mushroom-sandwich-with-basil-parmesan/

1028372477_roastedmushroomparmsandwich3.thumb.jpg.09d14a86a0d00f850a3d70fd797069ab.jpg

But who am I kidding?   Tonight is New Year's Eve.  We're having my famous chicken wings (famous in the family - slow cooked for 4-5 hours and basted with barbecue sauce often), sauerkraut balls, shrimp cocktail, and a veggie platter for good measure.  

Wishing everyone a wonderful day and a safe and fun celebration tonight.  

celebration-background-golden-champagne-bottle-confetti-stars-party-streamers-christmas-birthday-wedding-flat-lay-161039153.jpg.e2dc35fcbf13defbde2532690e86b857.jpg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 6

Good morning everyone.  Just put the Veuve Clicquot in the fridge. New Year’s Eve is my sister’s birthday so I’ll be giving her a birthday call shortly, happy birthday Patricia!  Love the quote by Willie Nelson.  The meal suggestion sounds tasty.  I haven’t been to today’s port but it’s on my bucket list. Prayers for everyone on our prayer list and for world peace.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today!  Happy New Year everyone! 🥂🍾🎉

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

@rafinmd and all,

My DH just got off phone. His sister (my DSIL) who has been fighting metastatic melanoma along with heart and blood clot complications has been taken to the hospital by ambulance.

Her son said, "She has severe pain throughout her body and her heart was beating way too fast. She isn't doing well."

I asked my DH if he wanted to leave for there now and he said, "No. We had a nice visit at Christmas."

Having seen her struggles over the past weeks, my prayer is that my 90 year old DSIL knows that it is okay to let go. I sense she does as, yesterday, she sent a long (for her) email thanking us again for our visit this past week.

-Melisa

• Like 12
  • Thanks 19

Good morning from a dark and rainy New York. Thanks to all who make the Daily possible and keep it a wonderful place to stop by every day. I enjoy the port pictures,recipes and general day to day life that we all share.

The executive chef requested that we make the sheet pan recipe for lunch today. We have a lot of mushrooms in the house and that will be a nice meal.We have decided on vegetarian chili with cornbread for tonight and will get started on that soon. Life is returning to normal in our households!

I am grateful that in 2022 we were able to be with our New Hampshire and Massachusetts families over the summer. It was great to be in another location for a while and just enjoy their company. Thanksgiving brought them to NY and we had the added joy of everyone together at once. My goodness, it was loud with lots of laughter.

I am enjoying the best gift of all,my new hip. It is amazing to walk without pain and I am so grateful for the doctors that made it possible.

DH and I struggle to stay awake until midnight but the neighborhood fireworks will keep us alert. We used to go see one of our favorite bands every year….how times have changed! 
Happy Birthday to Patricia @Mr. Boston‘s sister!

Happy New Year to everyone

Terry

• Like 28
  • Thanks 3