The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday December 31st, 2022

rafinmd

Wishing all Dailyites a very happy, healthy and prosperous New Year.

A few days ago Mrs. XBGuy decided that NYE would be a good time to make Beef Wellington.

LUCKY ME!

I really enjoy Cabernet Sauvignon with beef (and lamb), and, so, guess what we will be drinking along with some bubbly, tonight.

IMG_0070.jpg.b47f88e9494ef572978936c7327a951d.jpg

I am so humbled by that display that @ottahand7 posted, yesterday.  I think I would like to follow her around and help myself to the dregs left on the table,  There was, easily, a glass left in that Yuckem bottle.

Yesterday, I was dispatched to Trader Joe's with a list.  I was surprised that they did not have unsalted butter.  I asked a clerk and he thought there was a shortage.

??????

On the way home I stopped at a convenient Walmart. and they, also, were completely out of unsalted butter.

Mrs. XBGuy was surprised by this.  She had not heard of an unsalted butter shortage.  She felt that a spike in demand this time of year would be expected because of all the holiday baking that is happening, but, again, that would have been expected.  Holiday baking season happens every year.

Well, after my coffee and bagel this morning I dropped by the Albertson's market, and they have plenty of unsalted butter.  Crisis averted.

Oh, yes, we will have black-eyed peas, tomorrow.  

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily @richwmn and to all who contribute.

My mini bottle of champagne is in the fridge chilling this New Year's Eve (along with BFF's sparkling grape juice). World Peace Meditation is something we really need. Good quote. I'll pass on the meal, drink and the champagne costs a bit more than I want to spend.

I haven't been to Tonga.

Wishing everyone a Happy and Healthy New Year 2023!

It's warm here, but rainy. There are 2 celebrations downtown; one at 6PM for those who can't stay up and kids, the other at midnight. It's supposed to not be raining by midnight. I'll be at home tonight. Later I'll be making pork and sauerkraut for midnight, and also some black-eyed peas and collard greens for tomorrow. BFF will come over later to ring in the new year, and stay a couple of days.

@rafinmd  Thank you for starting us up and keeping up with our lists.

@StLouisCruisers Safe travels for DS and family, and early Happy Birthday to DDIL.

@richwmn Thank you for the Fleet Report/Daily. How exciting to be about to start the world cruise. Happy New Year!

@Seasick Sailor Good to hear your laundry was found. Nice picture of Allen from last year; I hope his cough disappears. Also I hope all test negative today.

@ger_77 Condolences on the loss of DH's aunt, your cousin, and DDIL's Grandmother. 

@Mr. Boston Happy Birthday to Patricia!

@HAL Sailer Prayers for DSIL that her pain will be eased. Also prayers for you and DH at this difficult time. I'm sure you are so glad you made the Christmas trip to see DSIL.

@smitty34877 It's good to hear that life is normalizing, and that you're doing well and walking without pain. 

@garlictown Thank you for sharing the cruise photos.

@grapau27 Lovely Table. Happy New Year!

@Sharon in AZ Sorry to hear DS has a bad case of flu and I hope he's doing better soon. 

Prayers for the Care List. RIP Pope Benedict and Barbara Walters. A Toast to the Celebration List.

Stay well everyone.

From the Zaandam in Antarctica 12.31.2018.

450849899_133-12_31.18NewYearsDinner.thumb.jpg.9eb5f3deeda9b868482bcedcb258fba8.jpg

1581854083_146-12_31.18Countingdownto2019.thumb.jpg.f7761917e0cfa4ed0df7c4b395fcfbc4.jpg

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 5

3 hours ago, Overhead Fred said:

I saw on Bill & Mary Ann's World Voyage thread that Bob @rkacruiser passed away recently. I don't recall if he posted on the Daily, but he certainly contributed much to the HAL forum. Mitzi and I sailed with him on the Niew Statendam a few years ago and meeting up for Happy Hour became a daily tradition. He always had Canadian Club and Sprite if I remember correctly. We continued to stay in touch by occasional emails and talked of cruising together again. Bob will be missed.

He also participated in the Sail Away threads.  He was a fellow teacher.  May he Rest in Peace.

• Like 20

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

For your son Sharon.

Screenshot_20221224_105757.jpg

Thank you Graham. Yesterday he seemed to be on the mend. The eucalyptus oil really helped. 

1 hour ago, XBGuy said:

Wishing all Dailyites a very happy, healthy and prosperous New Year.

A few days ago Mrs. XBGuy decided that NYE would be a good time to make Beef Wellington.

LUCKY ME!

I really enjoy Cabernet Sauvignon with beef (and lamb), and, so, guess what we will be drinking along with some bubbly, tonight.

IMG_0070.jpg.b47f88e9494ef572978936c7327a951d.jpg

I am so humbled by that display that @ottahand7 posted, yesterday.  I think I would like to follow her around and help myself to the dregs left on the table,  There was, easily, a glass left in that Yuckem bottle.

Yesterday, I was dispatched to Trader Joe's with a list.  I was surprised that they did not have unsalted butter.  I asked a clerk and he thought there was a shortage.

??????

On the way home I stopped at a convenient Walmart. and they, also, were completely out of unsalted butter.

Mrs. XBGuy was surprised by this.  She had not heard of an unsalted butter shortage.  She felt that a spike in demand this time of year would be expected because of all the holiday baking that is happening, but, again, that would have been expected.  Holiday baking season happens every year.

Well, after my coffee and bagel this morning I dropped by the Albertson's market, and they have plenty of unsalted butter.  Crisis averted.

Oh, yes, we will have black-eyed peas, tomorrow.  

I did hear about a butter shortage around Thanksgiving time but we never had a problem finding it at Trader Joe’s. Glad you finally found it because your Beef Wellington wouldn’t be the same. Does Mrs XB use Graham Ramsey’s recipe?

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, XBGuy said:

We have lots of unsalted butter but I had to visit three different grocery stores, yesterday, before I found horseradish.  I guess that’s a big menu item too.

• Like 15

Happy New Year's Eve and then, very shortly, Happy New Year 2023!  Many thanks to all who keep this special place alive with the lists, and the F&B department for telling us about wonderful food and drink!  

Western Colorado is seeing the last vestiges of an overnight snow, but most has melted already! We have had off and on snow for the past three days, but there are only patches left on some lawns.  Certainly not what has happened in the Durango area plus the Front Range.

My DStep-daughter is having a get-together this afternoon from 4-6. Guess that tells you the age range of attendees.  So, I will be home early enough to watch the last college football game of the day!  I am on my 2nd game today.  The College Football Bowl season is always bittersweet for me, as that was something my DH and I enjoyed together.

My prayers for all on the Cares List, and a shoutout to those celebrating!

Mary Kay

• Like 26

59 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Glad you finally found it because your Beef Wellington wouldn’t be the same. Does Mrs XB use Graham Ramsey’s recipe?

I don't thinks so.

She does not make her own pastry.  She uses frozen puff pastry.  So, the unsalted butter was not critical for that.  She does make her own duxelles.  I was successful at grabbing mushrooms at Trader Joe's, yesterday.

• Like 17

Happy 2023!

we have been busy preparing for the Hal WC leaving Tuesday!  

My gas range didn’t preheat right before we were having company, but I changed menu and made do.  I will get igniter replaced when we return.

Best wishes to all and thanks for all of the posts!

• Like 21

Good evening.  Once the laundry was finished we've had a lazy day.  Plenty of on-off raindrops.  It's nearly time for Happy Hour!  Yay!

I got a phone call from next-door neighbor Brenda who lost her Daddy, Copeland, the summer of 2021 from Covid.  She said she and DH Paul caught Covid at Christmas from their young adult daughter.  This is the third time they've had Covid!  She was relieved to hear DH and I hadn't caught it on our Amazon cruise.  She also mentioned our other neighbor who traditionally had a New Year's Eve party decided that numbers had dropped in attendance so much these past couple of years due to Covid that they wouldn't bother this year.  Sad.  Covid has really messed up life as we knew it, hasn't it?

I texted DS to see if they made it okay to Cancun but haven't heard back yet.  Should have arrived shortly after noon so plenty of time to get right into the sun and water activities.

Hope we all have a safe and happy evening celebrating with our loved ones the end of 2022 and beginning of 2023.  🎆🎉📆🥂

• Like 20

Am I the only dailyite that does not like champagne?  I will be staying home tonight in what for me will be a very cool house. My thermostat decided to go blank and the soonest I can get someone out will be tomorrow at 10am.  Good thing our low is expected to be in the 50's.

I am glad to be saying goodby to 2022 and welcome to 2023 soon.

@ger_77my condolences on the loss of your 3 relatives.

@HAL SailerI pray that you DSIL will find freedom from pain soon in whatever is God's plan for her.

@Sharon in AZHoping for speedy recovery for your DS.

@JazzyVThanks for the photos. Your look very happy.

Shout outs for all who have good news and prayers for all who do not AND most importantly of all Thank you to Rich, Roy, and all of the others who make this thread a wonderful place to visit every day.

Jane

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Overhead Fred said:

I saw on Bill & Mary Ann's World Voyage thread that Bob @rkacruiser passed away recently. I don't recall if he posted on the Daily, but he certainly contributed much to the HAL forum.

I remember his posts in several different forums. We seemed to agree on various topics.

Happy 7th day of Christmas, 6th day of Kwanzaa, and 13th day of Hanukkah (there is no such thing). I self-tested before going to the synagogue this morning; it was really too soon, but I didn't want to miss a liturgy class after the morning service.

Years ago I tried to persuade my doctor that I suffered from a champagne deficiency, but she insisted that there was no such disorder, and wouldn't prescribe it for me. She had graduated from the Harvard medical school so there was no point in arguing. I've put a bottle of Israeli champagne in the refrigerator (doesn't matter to me that it's from Israel, but it has been around for about five years). I'm not sure that I could afford Veuve Clicquot, or even find it here.

I'd be pleased with basil-crusted veal but dinner will actually be salmon, with broccoli if it's still fresh enough to use (purchased before I went to Washington). I thought I might have to dash out to a store this evening to buy bread, an unpleasant thought because I don't like to drive anywhere after dark on NYE, but came home from the synagogue with half a dozen bagels that were left over.

425506778_dogchristmaspresents.thumb.jpg.5b50cd03955b3a278f6e83f9eea03398.jpg

• Like 17
  • Haha 4

Happy New Year's Eve to all my Daily family!

I can't believe how fortunate I am to have found this....I really feel like you all are part of my family, and would love to have a family reunion sometime!  Thanks to all who post pictures of beautiful places I haven't been to (and a few that I have), thanks to the food and beverage department for their contributions, and a special thanks to Rich and Roy for keeping us all together for these past years. 

It's been a quiet day here....I woke up early (a little earlier than usual, at 5:30), so managed to take a nap in the comfy chair in the den this afternoon.  Tonight DH and I will be going to the VFW post for a small New Year's gathering - probably about 8 couples, with appetizers etc.  Usually as soon as the ball drops, we all pack up and are gone by about 12:15!!

Hoping 2023 will bring goodness to all!

Take care,

Laura

• Like 22

@JazzyVI saw your picture and took a double take, you remind me very much of my friend who passed this year.  I asked DH who does this lovely looking woman look like, and he said Shari.  

Thank you for the picture.

We had a nice dunch with Penny, I gave her a pair of shoes from a company I love, they are lined with sheep wool and keep your feet toasty and warm.  She just called and said they are VERY comfortable.

Well the fireworks or at least big bangs are happening (they actually started last night) so back to my Death in Paradise marathon, which I hope brings either a new season, or a resolution to the show.

• Like 21

Well, I goofed earlier when I said we were having sparkling wine. We are actually having this. A0EC0A78-4ADA-489C-8BB1-FB297B1FC9EA.thumb.jpeg.1b9adb83737c668a70647c0edaa7cffa.jpeg

I hope it’s good because I bought it last year as a gift but never gifted it. I got it at Trader Joe’s and the price must have been good or I wouldn’t have purchased it. I’ll report later. 

3 hours ago, Cat in my lap said:

Happy 2023!

we have been busy preparing for the Hal WC leaving Tuesday!  

My gas range didn’t preheat right before we were having company, but I changed menu and made do.  I will get igniter replaced when we return.

Best wishes to all and thanks for all of the posts!

Bon Voyage!  Enjoy the WC!

• Like 17

So sorry to read about all of the sad news on this last day of the year.  This is such a wonderful group of people and though I don't post here very much I love reading about everyone's travels, the recipe's the location of the ships and the ports of the day. I have learned so much about different places in the world by reading the Daily. Thanks to all of you who post every day. I wish everyone  a Happy and Healthy New Year, and safe travels to all.  

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3