A Silver Shadow Over The World - December 2023 to May 2024

mysty

2 hours ago, JoGay said:

Good luck with your next cruise.  It looks fascinating.  I would be interested in knowing how much wildlife you see on the trip.  

Since Chris and I will be on board with them, I suspect there will be a lot of wild life to be seen. Or did you mean something else?

18 hours ago, mysty said:

We did book onboard.

https://www.silversea.com/destinations/cruises-arctic-greenland/reykjavik-to-churchill-manitoba-ev250709016.html

We reached 500 Venetian Society days and applied the free 14 day cruise to the cruise link above.  Reykjavik to Churchill, Manitoba.   This will be our first expedition cruise. 😁

Can't wait to see you again, and introduce you to the joys of expedition cruising. 

• Like 3

I guess you are back home by now, M, and probably actually really happy to be there - until the call of the wild comes again.  Hope you had a good journey, and found everything  tickety-boo.

Lola

• Like 1

On 5/24/2024 at 8:51 AM, lincslady said:

I guess you are back home by now, M, and probably actually really happy to be there - until the call of the wild comes again.  Hope you had a good journey, and found everything  tickety-boo.

Lola

We are home.  Flight was great.  Frustrations at home, not so great.  It seems that as we address one problem another one rears its ugly head.  It'll be fine.  Just temporary annoyances.  😒

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

@Port Power, I will respond to your question here, if that's okay.  I don't want to ruffle anyone's feathers.   It seems some folks are sensitive to some posts.  

I would say that it depends on your finances.  We had a Grand Voyage booked for 2022 when we booked the 2024 World Cruise.  If you're comfortable with booking 2027 then do it.  I'm almost 100% sure that you will enjoy 2025.

Make sure you have read the terms and conditions and pay attention to the penalty dates.

Did you have other concerns?  I can help you on this thread.  Gladly!   🥰

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mysty said:

@Port Power, I will respond to your question here, if that's okay.  I don't want to ruffle anyone's feathers.   It seems some folks are sensitive to some posts.  

I would say that it depends on your finances.  We had a Grand Voyage booked for 2022 when we booked the 2024 World Cruise.  If you're comfortable with booking 2027 then do it.  I'm almost 100% sure that you will enjoy 2025.

Make sure you have read the terms and conditions and pay attention to the penalty dates.

Did you have other concerns?  I can help you on this thread.  Gladly!   🥰

I searched titles using “Silver Shadow over the world” but this thread did not show up.  Fickle!  This is the right place for my questions. Thanks for answering.  Re-reading this whole thread might answer some questions, but that would take weeks. 🤪

IIRC, the majority of passengers were WC.  Did you find you became close to many?  Or that it was somewhat like being with your neighbourhood?

I remember your photos of suitcases laid out for packing.  A lady doing the Pole-to-Pole said to me that it is not that we need lots of clothes, it’s more for our vanity.  With laundry included, that is quite true.  How many suitcases did you take on board each?  Luggage forwarding isn’t available from Australia, but I can take four large suitcases if I fly business class.  What were your must haves?  Very useful items?  Should have left it at home items?

The longest period I’ve been on a ship is 47 days, but I’m not concerned about the length of a world cruise. I can retreat to my suite for some down time away from company whenever the need arises.  I’ve sailed on Silver Dawn a few times.

The 2027 itinerary really interests me. Some known ports, some new ones. Yes, I can afford it.  Just!  I will have to keep discretionary spending to a minimum in the meantime, but think of what I will save by not being home for five months! ☺️ I will read the penalty terms and conditions closely.  Paying the deposit secures travel insurance, so I will be covered if there are any medical reasons for cancelling.

Thanks for letting me pick your brain.  The 2027 WC has just been released, but vista suites have already sold out!  I would want a balcony for that long away.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Port Power said:

I searched titles using “Silver Shadow over the world” but this thread did not show up.  Fickle!  This is the right place for my questions. Thanks for answering.  Re-reading this whole thread might answer some questions, but that would take weeks. 🤪

IIRC, the majority of passengers were WC.  Did you find you became close to many?  Or that it was somewhat like being with your neighbourhood?

I remember your photos of suitcases laid out for packing.  A lady doing the Pole-to-Pole said to me that it is not that we need lots of clothes, it’s more for our vanity.  With laundry included, that is quite true.  How many suitcases did you take on board each?  Luggage forwarding isn’t available from Australia, but I can take four large suitcases if I fly business class.  What were your must haves?  Very useful items?  Should have left it at home items?

The longest period I’ve been on a ship is 47 days, but I’m not concerned about the length of a world cruise. I can retreat to my suite for some down time away from company whenever the need arises.  I’ve sailed on Silver Dawn a few times.

The 2027 itinerary really interests me. Some known ports, some new ones. Yes, I can afford it.  Just!  I will have to keep discretionary spending to a minimum in the meantime, but think of what I will save by not being home for five months! ☺️ I will read the penalty terms and conditions closely.  Paying the deposit secures travel insurance, so I will be covered if there are any medical reasons for cancelling.

Thanks for letting me pick your brain.  The 2027 WC has just been released, but vista suites have already sold out!  I would want a balcony for that long away.

I'm going to respond to your various questions!  Please give me a bit of time because I don't want to rush my answers! 😁  I'll respond in the next few days.  To answer your first question.  On the 2024,  there were about 180 full World Cruisers.  Very many were new to Silversea or new to World Cruising.   Not the same as for 2016 or 2019.  You are smart, gregarious,  adventurous and have an excellent sense of humour.  You will fit in beautifully.   Many former regular World Cruisers will not be on the 2025.  That will give you a better idea of what to expect for 2027.

And we had to penny pinch for the 2024.  We made it and it was tight.  We are country mice.   😅

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Port Power said:

How many suitcases did you take on board each?  Luggage forwarding isn’t available from Australia, but I can take four large suitcases if I fly business class.  

It's great fun planning a world cruise! I'm interested in your comment that luggage forwarding isn't available for the world cruise from Australia. It certainly was on our two world cruises - 2019 and 2023. We travelled with 3 suitcases between 2 people each time. Although we could have managed with carrying them ourselves, sending the luggage ahead certainly was a major convenience, especially as one of us needed a wheelchair in 2023.

Edited by turtlemichael
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, turtlemichael said:

It's great fun planning a world cruise! I'm interested in your comment that luggage forwarding isn't available for the world cruise from Australia. It certainly was on our two world cruises - 2019 and 2023. We travelled with 3 suitcases between 2 people each time. Although we could have managed with carrying them ourselves, sending the luggage ahead certainly was a major convenience, especially as one of us needed a wheelchair in 2023.

RSSC removed the offer for Australians and gave us some OBC instead.  I have asked my TA to confirm with SS as it does state luggage forwarding on their website.  

I looked up the charge by DHL, which is AU450-$500 per piece one way. I wouldn’t mind if SS took $2,000 off my cruise fare instead! 🧳

• Like 3

@Port Power...next question.....

"I remember your photos of suitcases laid out for packing.  A lady doing the Pole-to-Pole said to me that it is not that we need lots of clothes, it’s more for our vanity.  With laundry included, that is quite true.  How many suitcases did you take on board each?  Luggage forwarding isn’t available from Australia, but I can take four large suitcases if I fly business class.  What were your must haves?  Very useful items?  Should have left it at home items?"

We sent 4 pieces of luggage ahead.  We took 2 medium suitcases and 1 small suitcase as checked luggage on the flight to Bridgetown.  We had 4 carry-on bags.  The small checked bag had hangers, a 160 day supply of vitamins, the shoe hanger and odds and sods.  One of the large ship ahead bags had hiking boots, hats and scarves, fleeces, jackets, rain pants etc (cold weather garb).  We had to pack for a wide range of weather for that cruise.  Hence the reason for so many pieces of luggage.  On past world cruises we sent 4 pieces of luggage ahead and had 2 checked bags.

We intended to do a few Formal nights so I packed a few outfits for me and suits for Myster.  I tend to get bored with clothing so I probably packed more for myself than normal people would. 😁  The night lights were very helpful as were the folding fabric boxes.  One box held the medications and first aid supplies.  

I did discover that I had not packed enough cold weather clothing and maybe a few too many warm weather pieces.  I have made a list of average temperatures for each port for the month we would be visiting.  In some cases the averages weren't what we experienced.

It was great fun tracking our route on the world map.  Many times I had to use latitude and longitude because the port did not appear on the map.

There were no items this time that I should have left at home.  😁  If you have more questions on the packing, please ask.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mysty said:

@Port Power...next question.....

"I remember your photos of suitcases laid out for packing.  A lady doing the Pole-to-Pole said to me that it is not that we need lots of clothes, it’s more for our vanity.  With laundry included, that is quite true.  How many suitcases did you take on board each?  Luggage forwarding isn’t available from Australia, but I can take four large suitcases if I fly business class.  What were your must haves?  Very useful items?  Should have left it at home items?"

We sent 4 pieces of luggage ahead.  We took 2 medium suitcases and 1 small suitcase as checked luggage on the flight to Bridgetown.  We had 4 carry-on bags.  The small checked bag had hangers, a 160 day supply of vitamins, the shoe hanger and odds and sods.  One of the large ship ahead bags had hiking boots, hats and scarves, fleeces, jackets, rain pants etc (cold weather garb).  We had to pack for a wide range of weather for that cruise.  Hence the reason for so many pieces of luggage.  On past world cruises we sent 4 pieces of luggage ahead and had 2 checked bags.

We intended to do a few Formal nights so I packed a few outfits for me and suits for Myster.  I tend to get bored with clothing so I probably packed more for myself than normal people would. 😁  The night lights were very helpful as were the folding fabric boxes.  One box held the medications and first aid supplies.  

I did discover that I had not packed enough cold weather clothing and maybe a few too many warm weather pieces.  I have made a list of average temperatures for each port for the month we would be visiting.  In some cases the averages weren't what we experienced.

It was great fun tracking our route on the world map.  Many times I had to use latitude and longitude because the port did not appear on the map.

There were no items this time that I should have left at home.  😁  If you have more questions on the packing, please ask.

Thank you, Mysty.  Like you, I look up the average temperatures along the itinerary and plan accordingly.  I won’t have really cold weather, so no need for boots and parkas.  Even the scenic “float past” of Antarctica will only need a puffer jacket.  I will need more hot weather clothing, so won’t scrimp there. It sounds like four large suitcases will certainly be enough for one person.

I still have the shoe hanger from our very early cruising days. That was an early Cruise Critic hint. It was used over the bathroom door to hold toiletries and sundries though, not shoes. I also have stronger magnetic hooks now, so another one inside the wardrobe actually for shoes is a good idea.  I’ll look for cheaper fabric boxes, Kmart rather than IKEA.

Why did you take cloth hangers?  Wouldn’t the ship be able to supply as many as you needed?  But you have made me think that connectors to hang one hanger on another will be very useful. I’ll collect pull rings from baked bean cans to take with me.

I appreciate your suggestions and taking the time to respond. 😀

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Port Power said:

Thank you, Mysty.  Like you, I look up the average temperatures along the itinerary and plan accordingly.  I won’t have really cold weather, so no need for boots and parkas.  Even the scenic “float past” of Antarctica will only need a puffer jacket.  I will need more hot weather clothing, so won’t scrimp there. It sounds like four large suitcases will certainly be enough for one person.

I still have the shoe hanger from our very early cruising days. That was an early Cruise Critic hint. It was used over the bathroom door to hold toiletries and sundries though, not shoes. I also have stronger magnetic hooks now, so another one inside the wardrobe actually for shoes is a good idea.  I’ll look for cheaper fabric boxes, Kmart rather than IKEA.

Why did you take cloth hangers?  Wouldn’t the ship be able to supply as many as you needed?  But you have made me think that connectors to hang one hanger on another will be very useful. I’ll collect pull rings from baked bean cans to take with me.

I appreciate your suggestions and taking the time to respond. 😀

The wooden hangers provided on the ship are lovely and they take up a lot of space.   I bought thin hangers to use here at home and to take on the cruise.   They were somewhat felted so things did not slip off and they were sturdier than wire hangers.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, mysty said:

The wooden hangers provided on the ship are lovely and they take up a lot of space.   I bought thin hangers to use here at home and to take on the cruise.   They were somewhat felted so things did not slip off and they were sturdier than wire hangers.   

Where did you put your suitcases?  That’s a lot for under the bed, even with the spare bedding removed.  Did the ship store them somewhere?

12 minutes ago, Port Power said:

Where did you put your suitcases?  That’s a lot for under the bed, even with the spare bedding removed.  Did the ship store them somewhere?

We put a couple under the bed.  The rest were taken down to store.  When I wanted to start packing for home I asked our wonderful butler to bring the stored baggage to the suite.  We did this on all 3 world cruises.  Some events were overnight so we kept those bags in the suite.  Easy Peasy! 😁

• Like 2