A Silver Shadow Over The World - December 2023 to May 2024

mysty

9 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Ocean is where we embarked in 2019 on the Shadow.  Of course, it wasn't a part of the WC then.

We found a lovely place to enjoy Peking Duck there is 2016.  We walked for what seemed like miles through that complex to find it. 😁

DSC01927.JPG.3dfee55019590c8bf3f002b770c34e41.JPG

• Like 1

Moving back to the Holiday Season cruise.....

We would be in Puntarenas, Costa Rica on January 4, 2024.  This would be a new port for us.

According to http://whatsinport.com:
"Ships dock in the center of town. You can stroll along the beach or the aptly named Paseo de los Turistas (Tourists’ Stroll), a pedestrian boulevard stretching along the southern edge of town. Cruise ships make day visits to the eastern end of this road, and a variety of souvenir stalls and sodas (informal lunch counters) are there to greet passengers.

A free shuttle (Tourist Train) may be offered to take passengers to the end of the long pier where you will find a tourist info center. This city by the sea attracts thousands of tourists yearly, mainly
because Puntarenas is frequently used as a central point when exploring the many beautiful beaches and islands in the surrounding area. If you plan to travel outside the towns: protection against mosquito bites is very important, wearing lightweight long pants, long sleeved
shirts and using insect repellents with high concentrations of DEET is recommended by the CDC."

We booked EASY CRUISE TO THE ECO JUNGLE.
Explore the pristine natural beauty and abundant wildlife along the Pacific Coast of Costa Rica during this picturesque and relaxing eco-tour along the Guacalillo Estuary and Tarcoles River.

GUACALILLO ESTUARY

Depart the pier for the scenic drive along Costa Rica's Pacific Coast en route to the Guacalillo Estuary, located near Carara National Park. Upon your arrival board your boat and start your mangrove riverboat adventure.

Mangroves are a group of unrelated woody plants that grow in protected tropical coasts and that provide a great habitat for many endemic birds like the cuckoo, hummingbirds, vireo, Panama flycatchers and many herons and egrets. These areas are also home to over 250 species of birds, mammals and insects, with the Tárcoles River's mouth to be considered as one of the richest sites for sea and shorebirds, mainly during their migration period between October and April.

TARCOLES RIVER

The mouth of the Tárcoles River is considered by birdwatchers to be one of the richest sites for seabirds and shorebirds, especially during their migration from October to April. The osprey, gull, cormorant, pelican, and frigate birds are among the most common species in the delta. You will receive a birding guide which will help you to recognize them.

The river's shores are home to one of the largest crocodile colonies, with some specimens exceeding 9.8 feet (three meters) in length. Although Iguanas, Jesus Christ lizards and birds that include herons, egrets, ducks, spoonbills, and storks are sighted on the majority of these outings, their cooperation cannot be guaranteed. During your tour, learn about the mangrove, the species and wildlife it supports, and the importance of its preservation.

AT EL JARDIN MARKET

On the way back to the ship, stop at El Jardín Market, where you can browse around souvenirs, sample delicious tropical fruit, taste a cup of freshly brewed Costa Rican coffee or an iced cold beer while the beautiful sounds of the marimba music plays.

boat_ride_guacalillo.jpg.3265e2a9257b2de1450c623abfaa4e0c.jpg

• Like 1

We would be in Shimizu, Japan on  April 22, 2024.  This would be a new port for us.

According to http://whatsinport.com
The port is in walking distance from several attractions. You are entertained by various ceremonies when calling at Shimizu Port. For Example, Presentation of Geishas' dance and Japanese tea
ceremony are hold for passengers. Besides, many special souvenir shops and exchange booth are opened when a cruise ship docks. 

In the shadow of Mount Fuji, Shimizu is one of the most beautiful ports in Japan. Walk through the pine groves of Miho, home to a 650-year-old Japanese black pine, or enjoy spectacular views of Mount
Fuji from the lush, forested hill of Nihondaira.

Take in the seascapes on a bay cruise, or learn of undersea delights at Japan’s first sushi museum.
For a historic angle, get a glimpse at feudal life in Japan in 200 BC at the archaeological site of Toro.

We booked SHIRAITO WATERFALL.

Embrace the grandeur of Mt. Fuji and its surrounds during this memorable, half-day excursion to the Shiraito Waterfall.

FUJISAN HONGU SENGEN SHRINE

Depart the pier for the scenic, approximately one-hour drive to the Fujisan Hongu Sengen Shrine. Fujisan means 'Mt. Fuji' in Japanese, and this shrine was built in 27 B.C. by the emperor at that time to calm Mt. Fuji's huge eruptions. This shrine has enshrined Mt. Fuji, and was the first of the Sengen Shrines that were subsequently constructed throughout Japan. Upon arrival at this expansive, approximately 67,200-square-yard (about 56,188-square-metre) property, take a guided stroll. Along the way, see the main building, Mt. Fuji and other picturesque sights of interest.

sengentaisha01.jpg.4059b5ebaf5e910fc6911788b788d131.jpg

SHIRAITO WATERFALL

Next, re-board your coach and proceed to the Shiraito Waterfall, an UNESCO World Heritage Site. Renowned as a beautiful waterfall, Shiraito means 'white thread'. During your visit, marvel at the scenic splendour of the waterfall and its surrounds. At the conclusion of your visit, re-board your coach and commence the short drive back to the pier.

shiraito2.jpg.87eec38786309ed9e63fe204aed5ca90.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

Ooh! Pretty waterfall. Chris would definitely take that excursion.

I'm also a big fan of waterfalls.  I'm looking forward to this one! 😁

• Like 1

We would be in Kagoshima, Japan on April 24, 2024.  This would be a new port for us.

According to http://whatsinport.com :
"A short walk from the ferry and cruise terminal of Kagoshima is Nagisa Park, a coastal park with volcanic stones for those here for a quick visit. But if you have more time, you can take a bus tour to see Sakurajima's more distant and more spectacular lava fields created by past eruptions. There are several good lookout points to experience this wonder in all its glory. 

A Firemen’s band is often in place to perform a farewell concert. 

Tram lines connect the two stations and the city center, while the "Kagoshima City View", a circular bus line for tourists, connects all main attractions, including Senganen and the ferry pier to Sakurajima. With One-day Pass, you can ride the city trams, city buses and City View buses as many times as you want for the day!

The ferry between volcanic island of Sakurajima and Kagoshima harbor operates frequently and around the clock. The boat ride will take about fifteen minutes. Yunohira Lookout is a two hours hike or 15 minutes drive from Sakurajima harbor and gives you a good view both to Kagoshima harbor and Sakurajima volcano. There are also a couple of other lookout points, where you can take a closer look at the volcano. Because Sakurajima is essentially an active volcano, remember that tourists are forbidden to go within 2 km of the crater. 

When you board a taxi, note that the vehicle's left rear door is opened and closed remotely by the driver. You are not supposed to open or close it by yourself. Furthermore, you are not supposed to tip taxi drivers, as the service is included in the price."

We booked LANDSCAPES OF KAGOSHIMA.

Explore the highlights of Japan's 'Southern Gateway' via land and water during this scenic sightseeing excursion to Kagoshima and its environs.

ISO GARDENS AND LA MAISON GOTEN

Depart the pier for the approximate 40-minute drive to the 17th-century Iso Gardens, or 'Senganen'. Upon arrival, take a guided tour of the exquisite gardens. The gardens feature beautiful flowers, rock pools, small bridges and shrines, and offer splendid vistas of the sea, the Sakurajima Volcano and the city of Kagoshima. An interior visit is also made to La Maison "GOTEN", which was once used as the main residence of the head of the Shimadzu family and as a guest house, to which domestic and foreign dignitaries were invited. The beautiful decorations inside the residence, as well as the living room where the garden can be seen at its most beautiful, and audience room are highlights of this house.

senganen-japanese-garden-kagoshima-japan-kyushu-1-1600x900.jpg.22ff7175624ad2478042064ba24a532c.jpg

SAKURAJIMA AND ARIMURA POINT

Next, re-board your coach and drive to the Kagoshima Ferry Port and embark a ferry for the brief ride to Sakurajima. Upon arrival, disembark the ferry and drive to Arimura Point. Here, a visit is made to the Arimura Observatory for a spectacular view of Mt. Sakura, which rises over 1,000 feet (305 meters) above the waters of Kagoshima Bay. The volcano has had over 30 major eruptions in recorded history and is still experiencing minor eruptions almost daily.

From Wikipedia....Sakurajima is an active stratovolcano, formerly an island and now a peninsula, in Kagoshima Prefecture in Kyushu, Japan. The lava flows of the 1914 eruption connected it with the Ōsumi Peninsula. It is the most active volcano in Japan.

sakurajima.jpg.4e4837f91c2e32cd33ecf81a0ddf0486.jpg

KAGOSHIMA

Following your visit to Arimura Point, re-board your coach for the return drive to the Sakurajima Ferry Port and embark a ferry for the ride back to Kagoshima.

Your tour concludes with an approximate 45-minute transfer back to the pier.

We would be in Sitka, Alaska on May 14, 2024.  This would be a new port for us.

"Plan to be on deck when your ship sails into Sitka Sound, particularly if it's a sunny day: The views of the town from the ship are beautiful. Cruise ships will use a floating dock, about 6 miles north of
downtown. A free shuttle bus service is provided by the port to and from downtown Sitka. The drop off / pick up location is Harrigan Centennial Hall. The shuttle ride is 10 to 15 minutes and the busses
depart every 10 minutes.

Other cruise ships will anchor and will tender you to downtown.

The terminal building includes large restrooms, gift shops. High Speed WiFI, and an outdoor covered terrace for passengers to view activity in the adjacent boat yard. Visitor information can be obtained from the visitors desk at Harrigan Centennial Hall, near Crescent Harbor, one block from O'Connell Bridge, or at the Sitka Convention and Visitors Bureau at O'Connell Bridge also is available when cruise ships are in town. 

Its a beautiful, picturesque little fishing village with Mt. Edgecomb in the background, and the harbor studded with tiny jewel-like islands. Just spectacular! Great Russian charm, beautiful, friendly and clean.
New Archangel Dancers: When cruise ships are in town, these dancers perform lively, authentic folk dances from Russia (Harrigan Centennial Building).
When you get to the downtown dock you will see skippers signing people up for boat rides. Take one of these tours, the wildlife is amazing! You will see lots of sea otters, seals, porpoises, whales,
puffins and other sea birds. You may even see bears on the land, the skippers know where to look for them."

sitkaed.jpg.071bb5824e8ba9d0646187d37d85a096.jpg

We booked SITKA'S CULINARY ADVENTURE.

SITKA, BEER TASTING

Depart the pier with your guide for a memorable food and wine experience at some of Sitka's top eateries. Your exploration of the lively culinary scene in Sitka, formerly known as the 'Paris of the Pacific', begins with a scenic, approximately 45-minute drive to the tap room of a local brew-master. It is said water makes the difference when it comes to brewing beer, and Sitka is abundant in naturally-filtered glacier water. Upon arrival at the tap room, meet the brew-master, learn about the beer-brewing process, and proceed for a tasting of a few different types of beer.

TASTINGS OF RUSSIAN SPECIALITIES, GOURMET 'REINDEER DOGS'

Next, explore some of Sitka's Russian heritage during a visit to a venue selling peleminis, a popular Russian specialty. Peleminis are dumplings consisting of filling wrapped in thin, unleavened dough. From here, continue on for a gourmet 'reindeer dog' from Chef Jo, then head to the Alaska Pure Sea Salt Company. Upon arrival, proceed for a tasting of local traditional foods that are gathered and harvested throughout the summer season, and prepared with pure Alaskan sea salt.

TASTINGS OF SEAFOOD AND OTHER SPECIALITIES, SPECIALITIES MADE WITH PURE ALASKAN SEA SALT

Finally, discover why Sitka is the second-largest exporter of seafood during stops at venues offering local seafood and other specialties. Samples of locally-sourced and produced culinary delights may include freshly-caught Dungeness crab, halibut, salmon, shrimp, black cod tips, ceviche, chowders, and fish and chips. Other local specialties may include caramels, ice creams, and food prepared with Alaskan sea salts. Locations and menus will vary, and additional stops may be added or removed in an effort to include other local specialties and events. At the conclusion of your tour, board a shuttle bus for the short transfer back to the pier.

• Like 1

Mysty - obviously you are doing this wonderful long cruise which happens to be  on Shadow, but I wonder if that is the size of ship you prefer for a long voyage.  I have cruised on the Cloud  and also on Shadow and I think for spending a long time on board I would prefer the slightly larger ship myself.

Lola

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Mysty - obviously you are doing this wonderful long cruise which happens to be  on Shadow, but I wonder if that is the size of ship you prefer for a long voyage.  I have cruised on the Cloud  and also on Shadow and I think for spending a long time on board I would prefer the slightly larger ship myself.

Lola

Our other 2 big adventures were on the Lady Whisper.   We found the size of the ship worked well for us.  We found the intimate atmosphere lovely and we did not ever feel cramped or intruded upon.  We prefer the Main Restaurant approach because,  other than booking the 3 specialty restaurants,  there was always space available for a last minute meet up with friends for dinner.  We did a 54 day Grand Voyage on the Moon last May-June and we didn't particularly enjoy the variety of restaurants.   Not all of them were of the same quality.   Of course,  everyone has different priorities in choosing ship size, amenities and passenger numbers.   For us, the Shadow will be like coming home. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mysty said:

We would be in Sitka, Alaska on May 14, 2024.  This would be a new port for us.

"Plan to be on deck when your ship sails into Sitka Sound, particularly if it's a sunny day: The views of the town from the ship are beautiful. Cruise ships will use a floating dock, about 6 miles north of
downtown. A free shuttle bus service is provided by the port to and from downtown Sitka. The drop off / pick up location is Harrigan Centennial Hall. The shuttle ride is 10 to 15 minutes and the busses
depart every 10 minutes.

Other cruise ships will anchor and will tender you to downtown.

The terminal building includes large restrooms, gift shops. High Speed WiFI, and an outdoor covered terrace for passengers to view activity in the adjacent boat yard. Visitor information can be obtained from the visitors desk at Harrigan Centennial Hall, near Crescent Harbor, one block from O'Connell Bridge, or at the Sitka Convention and Visitors Bureau at O'Connell Bridge also is available when cruise ships are in town. 

Its a beautiful, picturesque little fishing village with Mt. Edgecomb in the background, and the harbor studded with tiny jewel-like islands. Just spectacular! Great Russian charm, beautiful, friendly and clean.
New Archangel Dancers: When cruise ships are in town, these dancers perform lively, authentic folk dances from Russia (Harrigan Centennial Building).
When you get to the downtown dock you will see skippers signing people up for boat rides. Take one of these tours, the wildlife is amazing! You will see lots of sea otters, seals, porpoises, whales,
puffins and other sea birds. You may even see bears on the land, the skippers know where to look for them."

sitkaed.jpg.071bb5824e8ba9d0646187d37d85a096.jpg

We booked SITKA'S CULINARY ADVENTURE.

SITKA, BEER TASTING

Depart the pier with your guide for a memorable food and wine experience at some of Sitka's top eateries. Your exploration of the lively culinary scene in Sitka, formerly known as the 'Paris of the Pacific', begins with a scenic, approximately 45-minute drive to the tap room of a local brew-master. It is said water makes the difference when it comes to brewing beer, and Sitka is abundant in naturally-filtered glacier water. Upon arrival at the tap room, meet the brew-master, learn about the beer-brewing process, and proceed for a tasting of a few different types of beer.

TASTINGS OF RUSSIAN SPECIALITIES, GOURMET 'REINDEER DOGS'

Next, explore some of Sitka's Russian heritage during a visit to a venue selling peleminis, a popular Russian specialty. Peleminis are dumplings consisting of filling wrapped in thin, unleavened dough. From here, continue on for a gourmet 'reindeer dog' from Chef Jo, then head to the Alaska Pure Sea Salt Company. Upon arrival, proceed for a tasting of local traditional foods that are gathered and harvested throughout the summer season, and prepared with pure Alaskan sea salt.

TASTINGS OF SEAFOOD AND OTHER SPECIALITIES, SPECIALITIES MADE WITH PURE ALASKAN SEA SALT

Finally, discover why Sitka is the second-largest exporter of seafood during stops at venues offering local seafood and other specialties. Samples of locally-sourced and produced culinary delights may include freshly-caught Dungeness crab, halibut, salmon, shrimp, black cod tips, ceviche, chowders, and fish and chips. Other local specialties may include caramels, ice creams, and food prepared with Alaskan sea salts. Locations and menus will vary, and additional stops may be added or removed in an effort to include other local specialties and events. At the conclusion of your tour, board a shuttle bus for the short transfer back to the pier.

Sitka is so beautiful M. Have you been before? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Sitka is so beautiful M. Have you been before? 

Sitka would be a new experience for us DW.  We're looking forward to it!  We've sailed Alaska before and loved the beauty and the rawness of that state. 😁

I started my packing list a while ago. I have been editing along the way.  It now appears that my eyes are bigger than my luggage options.  Unfortunately this may mean that Myster will be cruising with a dark suit, a sport jacket, a few shirts, a tie, a pair of shorts, jeans, a pair of dress pants, a few t-shirts and enough under garments to take him from laundry to laundry.  Okay, I jest!  However, my packing list may require a hard edit.  Mind you, this big adventure will hopefully last about 160 days so I may be forgiven for aiming high.

I compared the count of items I packed for myself for 2016 (115 days), 2019 (132 days) and what I have identified for 2024 (160 days).  I did manage to reduce the item count from 2016.  However, it is definitely up from 2019.  The tricky bit for this adventure is dealing with the temperature extremes from average highs in Lautoka in February of 90 F to average highs of 41 F in Dutch Harbor in  April.

And, of course, there is the hanging space in the suite closet to contend with.  Some things will not suffer being stored in the available drawer space.  However, stuffing Myster's suit into a drawer to free up a hanger is not going to go over well. I'm considering buying pant hangers.

VerandaCloset.jpg.35af04588e5c905eb948a5701cf1f6bd.jpg

Capture1.JPG.db675fa23e8b2b0484d5b94faa2e36f3.JPG

It will be a game of hanger Tetris for this adventure.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I always take trouser hangers when going away - even in the UK - as most places don't provide decent ones.  Yours look excellent and space saving, M.

Lola

Thank you Lola!  For some reason I have not considered this before.   It makes for definite space saving!  😁

I'm now toying with the idea of buying new hangers for use here and for use on the cruise.  The hangers provide in the suite closet are bulky and take up a lot of space.  I found these on line and I'm seriously considering the purchase.

Capture.JPG.debc067ddc0e3381a2381577a3a71ae8.JPG

Capture2.JPG.df9b690e1c2b71e2e729b24a5715d816.JPG

On 5/13/2023 at 9:13 AM, mysty said:

Sitka would be a new experience for us DW.  We're looking forward to it!  We've sailed Alaska before and loved the beauty and the rawness of that state. 😁

Hi Mysty, Sitka is lovely. I have been multiple times and your excursion sounds like a lot of fun😀. Not sure if it is all day thing but the downtown area is really nice, if you have the time to walk around.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lois R said:

Hi Mysty, Sitka is lovely. I have been multiple times and your excursion sounds like a lot of fun😀. Not sure if it is all day thing but the downtown area is really nice, if you have the time to walk around.

Thank you Lois!

3 hours ago, mysty said:

I'm now toying with the idea of buying new hangers for use here and for use on the cruise.  The hangers provide in the suite closet are bulky and take up a lot of space.  I found these on line and I'm seriously considering the purchase.

Capture.JPG.debc067ddc0e3381a2381577a3a71ae8.JPG

Capture2.JPG.df9b690e1c2b71e2e729b24a5715d816.JPG

Damn the torpedoes! 😅  I ordered the hangers.   Hopefully this will allow Myster to bring more of his clothes! 😅

• Haha 2

Those look really good, Mysty.  I know the hangers they provide are of excellent quality, but far too big and heavy.  For a really long cruise, well worth taking your easy to manage lightweight ones.

Lola

• Like 1

Just now, lincslady said:

Those look really good, Mysty.  I know the hangers they provide are of excellent quality, but far too big and heavy.  For a really long cruise, well worth taking your easy to manage lightweight ones.

Lola

Thank you Lola!  I dithered and dathered and then just said "Why not?"  I'm sure they will come in handy here as well!

We would be in Whittier, Alaska on May 11, 2024.  This would be a new port for us.

"The cruise ships dock at this tiny hamlet Whittier. Most passengers take a cruise organized excursion to Anchorage. The MS Amsterdam from Holland America line docks in Anchorage town
itself. Other ships also use Seward. The cruise terminal is 60 miles from Anchorage, you can take a bus or train from and to the terminal. Either way you pass the Anton Anderson Memorial Tunnel: shared by rail and vehicle traffic, when one is inside the other is not; they switch every half hour.

In the port of Anchorage itself: Shuttles, cabs and charter vehicles will connect passengers to downtown Anchorage. Shore excursions also depart by train and motor coach for activities across Southcentral USA.

Only 60 miles from Anchorage, Whittier beckons with all the beauty of Prince William Sound, a place where you learn the real meaning of the word "fjord". The Sound is made up of many deep fjords with tidewater glaciers that calve before your eyes and islands around every turn.

Whittier is also surrounded by the Chugach National Forest, the second largest in the United States and a vast wilderness. Visit Whittier and see wildlife, beach comb and pick berries while
walking along the harbor or hiking the Portage Pass, Salmon Run or Horse Tail Falls trails.

Whittier is a strange little port town built by the military during World War II that is reached only by boat or through a one-lane tunnel almost 3 miles long."

We booked 26 GLACIER CRUISE.

CRUISE ON A HIGH-SPEED CATAMARAN

Prince William Sound boasts one of the world's largest concentrations of tidewater glaciers. College Fjord and Blackstone Bay provide an impressive panoramic view of these spectacular glaciers flowing down from the mountains to the saltwater. As the Captain navigates a path through the ice-filled waters, watch the dynamic tidewater glaciers closely as massive chunks of ice can calve (break off) at any moment and crash to the sea with a thunderous sound.

Marine wildlife and migratory birds easily outnumber people in Prince William Sound, so the odds are good that you will see a lot more than glaciers on our cruises! Sea otters are a common sight, along with harbor seals, Bald eagles, and kittiwakes. There are five species of wild Alaska salmon in the Sound. When the fish are in, the whales and bears will follow! It is not uncommon to see orca whales, humpback whales, sea lions, black bears, mountain goats, Dall's porpoise, and migratory birds on our 26 Glacier Cruise. Time spent of the Catamaran is approximately 4 ½ hours.

Prince William Sound.....

prince-william-sound-glaciersprince-william-sound-christopher-cuppChristopher-Cupp.jpg.8af1a08739c97673e0eef1ed2dd81485.jpg

College Fjord.....

collegefjord.jpg.ab64e2941eecbdc105a8f3e32b7dff1f.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/7/2023 at 10:46 AM, Stumblefoot said:

I imagine SS would happily oblige since you’re transferring from a holiday voyage booking made many months ago to a standard period voyage. Much better margin to SS that way and they gain a berth back to resell for a much more expensive holiday voyage.

Our Shadow booking is now fully transferred to the Silver Nova doing basically the same trans-Panama Canal itinerary but in April 2024.  We are now staying on the Nova all the way to Vancouver, BC so a 23-day cruise for less than the 19-day Shadow cruise.  It turned out to be a “fruit salad” offers, discounts, incentives, etc., etc. and we got all of our other arrangements like business air and cabins of our choice.    Kind of sad not to be celebrating New Years on a cruise, which we have always wanted to do, and sorry about not meeting many you all but it had to been changed.  Maybe next time.  

Edited by Randyk47
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Randyk47 said:

Our Shadow booking is now fully transferred to the Silver Nova doing basically the same trans-Panama Canal itinerary but in April 2024.  We are now staying on the Nova all the way to Vancouver, BC so a 23-day cruise for less than the 19-day Shadow cruise.  It turned out to be a “fruit salad” offers, discounts, incentives, etc., etc. and we got all of our other arrangements like business air and cabins of our choice.    Kind of sad not to be celebrating New Years on a cruise, which we have always wanted to do, and sorry about not meeting many you all but it had to been changed.  Maybe next time.  

I'm happy to here that you have something awesome in place Randy!  Have a wonderful sail!

We would be in Niigata, Japan on April 27, 2024.  This would be a new port for us.

"You will be docked at the West Port Yamanoshita Wharf, 4 km from downtown. Shuttles are provided.

Niigata is a beautiful city whose northwest faces the Sea of Japan. As one of Japan's leading agricultural cities, Niigata has a beautiful landscape of rice fields. The port town is a major transportation hub, easily accessible by air, sea and rail."

We booked EXPLORING THE CITY OF BREWAGE - SAKE & MISO.

Niigata Prefecture is famous for Brewage due to the rich environment in the heart of Japan's most fertile rice belt and this tour will take you to two different type of breweries to learn and experience the deep culture which the local people grew up with.

YAMADA MISO BREWERY WITH TASTING

Your first stop will be at Yamada Miso Brewery, after an approximately 40 minute drive. The Yamada family has been making Miso & Japanese Soy Sauce since 1891. They are specialized in making premium quality products using local ingredients and traditional techniques continuously for over almost 130 years. In addition to get to understand the brewing process, learn the key role these staples play in Japanese cuisine. Enjoy the opportunity to taste various types of each product.

SAKE BREWERY WITH TASTING

The following highlight of this tour is to visit a local Sake Brewery. Sake is the national beverage of Japan and is sometimes referred to as 'Japanese Rice Wine'. Niigata Prefecture is home to more than 90 Sake Breweries and is famous for its high quality. This is therefore the ideal place to not only learn the process of sake making but also how to pair Sake with different foods. Take the opportunity to taste a wide variety of fresh sake and also make purchases of your favorite if you so desire.

Re-board your coach for the an approximately 40 minute drive back to the port.

Yamada Miso Brewery.....

83719396_2718507961531860_7580577291294474240_n.jpg.b0db5aecd3fc3758ee154b34a3c86463.jpg

• Like 1