Open letter to Christine Duffy!

pzsdd6

On 1/2/2023 at 11:14 AM, notscb said:

I'm wondering what you're talking about here- we got off of the dream a few weeks back and had an amazing vacation. What problems are you hoping she would see, specifically?

I'm guessing all of the decreases in service while upping the costs. Cabin stewards for instance. Prepandemic people were complaining that they had to choose morning or night. John Heald constantly lied and said it's not true you still get it twice a day. Then covid hit and they said it's only once a day to minimize contact. But based on what I've read, they use the same dirty water cabin to cabin and are ok with that but not actually entering the cabins twice a day.

They are super stingy with the booze in the drinks.  Just generally less things seem to be offered now.

I board on Sunday and am interested to see for myself how things are now. 

2 hours ago, Cruisin 4 Ever said:

I'm guessing all of the decreases in service while upping the costs. Cabin stewards for instance. Prepandemic people were complaining that they had to choose morning or night. John Heald constantly lied and said it's not true you still get it twice a day. Then covid hit and they said it's only once a day to minimize contact. But based on what I've read, they use the same dirty water cabin to cabin and are ok with that but not actually entering the cabins twice a day.

They are super stingy with the booze in the drinks.  Just generally less things seem to be offered now.

John Heald did not lie. You could still have service twice a day and we DID. Our last pre-covid cruise was Carnival Conquest, Feb 8-15, 2020.

lincoln-meme.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruisin 4 Ever said:

Love it complain, complain. Complain and then….I board on Sunday.  Dirty water…really?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I look at it this way, Carnival is the entry level cruise line. 

Carnival Corp owns other lines that are that are more upscale. IMO, the intent is for you to move up, so to speak, to those luxury lines. Carnival has no problem filling ships with more rookies.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

John Heald did not lie. You could still have service twice a day and we DID. Our last pre-covid cruise was Carnival Conquest, Feb 8-15, 2020.

Technically, this is true.  Our last cruises prior to the shutdown we received twice a day servicing.  We were always asked if we wanted morning or evening service however with no mention of twice a day.  Since we are frequent Carnival cruisers, we knew we could ask for both.  Inexperienced cruisers didn't know they could ask for both.    

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, RoperDK said:

Technically, this is true.  Our last cruises prior to the shutdown we received twice a day servicing.  We were always asked if we wanted morning or evening service however with no mention of twice a day.  Since we are frequent Carnival cruisers, we knew we could ask for both.  Inexperienced cruisers didn't know they could ask for both.    

Knowing how many more cabins the stewards now have to service, I would never ask for this unless I handing them a very generous tip at the same time.

8 minutes ago, staceyglow said:

Knowing how many more cabins the stewards now have to service, I would never ask for this unless I handing them a very generous tip at the same time.

Why should he/she feel guilty asking for what he/she paid for? He/she did mentioned pre-covid, just because everyone else was happy with half of what they paid for doesn't mean he/she had to be. Post covid, the room servicing portion of your gratuities increased 50% do to once a day vs twice a day. You can also bet they cut staff back 50% but didn't give the remaining 50% a 50% raise.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, staceyglow said:

This was pre pandemic when twice a day was offered. No need to shame me for asking for extra services not offered to everyone.  I've only cruised Carnival once post restart and although only once per day was offered, my wonderful cabin steward brought me ice for my knee twice a day.  He did receive a generous tip for going above and beyond.  I've cruised on other lines several times since the restart and they still offered twice a day.  Their cabin stewards weren't stretched so thin.    

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

You can also bet they cut staff back 50% but didn't give the remaining 50% a 50% raise.  

Which is exactly why you should tip them more if you want them to go above and beyond Carnival's expectations of them.

When they cut staff, they reduced the amount of work the remaining stewards were expected to do for each cabin.  If you want them to do more, pay them yourself.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, RoperDK said:

This was pre pandemic when twice a day was offered. No need to shame me for asking for extra services not offered to everyone.  I've only cruised Carnival once post restart and although only once per day was offered, my wonderful cabin steward brought me ice for my knee twice a day.  He did receive a generous tip for going above and beyond.  I've cruised on other lines several times since the restart and they still offered twice a day.  Their cabin stewards weren't stretched so thin.    

I was not shaming you.  There is a big difference between asking for extra ice and asking them to do double the work for your cabin, which is basically what a guest is  doing if you insist on twice a day service.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, staceyglow said:

Which is exactly why you should tip them more if you want them to go above and beyond Carnival's expectations of them.

When they cut staff, they reduced the amount of work the remaining stewards were expected to do for each cabin.  If you want them to do more, pay them yourself.

We always tip them well the day we meet them. Ask for morning service, ice and only clean towels in the evening. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, staceyglow said:

Well, they didn't reduce our cabin service gratuities 50% so who made out? Passengers didn't and staff didn't, in fact, passengers got increased gratuities (and yet another increase yesterday) and staff only got more work. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RoperDK said:

True, but the inexperienced cruiser would not miss it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Well, they didn't reduce our cabin service gratuities 50% so who made out? Passengers didn't and staff didn't, in fact, passengers got increased gratuities (and yet another increase yesterday) and staff only got more work. 

Carnival gets to shift even more of their payroll onto the guests back.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

If only there was logic there.  I guess if we continually throw stuff up against the wall we start believing it…..or not.

5 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Some experienced ones do not either.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Why should he/she feel guilty asking for what he/she paid for? He/she did mentioned pre-covid, just because everyone else was happy with half of what they paid for doesn't mean he/she had to be. Post covid, the room servicing portion of your gratuities increased 50% do to once a day vs twice a day. You can also bet they cut staff back 50% but didn't give the remaining 50% a 50% raise.  

The gratuities have NEVER been based on per service. They have always been based on a cruise basis broken down by days.

I do know that the stewards no longer have to deal with reams of Diamond International garbage.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, staceyglow said:

I was not shaming you.  There is a big difference between asking for extra ice and asking them to do double the work for your cabin, which is basically what a guest is  doing if you insist on twice a day service.

Fair enough.  I know that only once a day is offered now.  Period.  Before the pandemic twice a day was an approved service.  Post pandemic, staffing is so short that twice a day isn't even offered, so no one can add to the steward's burden.  I am on MG in 2 weeks and am curious to see how it goes in all areas because I've heard so many stories of short staffing.  I am easy to please and have a positive outlook, so I imagine I will be just fine.          

• Like 1

I'd love to see her in a cabin on the 10th floor in the Caribbean in June with the cabin temp at 78° for a miserable 7 days & be told "it's within acceptable range".

Let's see how she would enjoy having to sleep on the serenity deck because it's cooler than your cabin,

Edited by camarowesley

13 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

This is the issue here.  I went on my first cruise in 2018.  The room was cleaned once daily.  I thought, hey, someone cleans my room - great!

The first time I went on RCI, they cleaned the room twice, and it was just too much, if I'm being honest.  I only need 1 set of towels a day.  

I really don't understand the fuss with the twice a day thing.  I can't imagine a cruiser's experience is changed all that much if the room is cleaned once a day.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Theosprey247 said:

Remember when people were up in arms about rust? Now it’s bacon and room service, and other things that don’t effect most cruisers. Those were the salad days I tell ya. 

Lol, I'm still upset about the bacon. 🤣  Now I hear that Guy's doesn't have sautéed mushrooms anymore.  Oh the humanity!!!

• Haha 1