Westerdam

At Sea Destination Moreton Island, Queensland Australia eta 1-05

Capture1.JPG.2c112d1613f65928cff8bf7f4b9a9531.JPG

Capture2.JPG.fb1d92f42fe460452ac63769ad18357d.JPG

Roy for Rich

• Like 26
  • Thanks 13
  • Haha 1

Good Morning, thanks for the daily fleet report.  Today is a mandatory in office day.  I’m hoping that those who are sick stay home, last time there was lots of coughing and I got something.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds interesting, bacon and chicken can’t be bad.  
Over the weekend there was a Mighty Cruise Ship marathon and I watched an episode on Antarctica, cruise line was Hurtigruten.  The scenery was beautiful and is something we would like to do some day.  
Our test kits from the government came over the weekend. They are the same tests that you can get in the drug store and the expiration date is 8/2023.
I hope everyone has a good day.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.

Thank you for today's daily reports and lists Roy.

We normally put leftover food in the bin or put it out for the birds.

We have been fairly lazy over Christmas and had a few days where we have stayed in our pyjamas.

Today's food and drink sounds good.

Prayers 🙏 for all they will help.

I hope everyone else have a wonderful day.

Graham.

Screenshot_20230103_104954.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 7

Good morning.  We are in port in Port Everglades.  We will go through in transit activities around 9:30 and will then be allowed to reboard. Our bags will be moved.  Watch for us at sail away around 5 pm.  We are port side Vista 6206.  We will be on our balcony and I will wave my purple Ravens flag.  Really excited about our upcoming adventure.  Have a wonderful day!   Nancy 

• Like 31
  • Thanks 4

Thanks for the Fleet update and general info.

Ok, how does fruitcake get two special days in past 10 days on its own. I think fruitcake tossing is an abuse of the fruitcake. How proper to have this with humiliation day. You should be humiliated to toss a fruitcake 😀.  What next, toss your kumquat!

Now on a more news worthy note. The Tampa Bay Area has been having dense fog. This is one of the reason HAL pulled out of sailing from Tampa. Three cruise ships delayed nine hours yesterday docking.

7CA23551-ACFA-444B-84F8-849E1CA0AB51.thumb.png.2f2ac8880e885ca2c1c286f872e1236e.png

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3

Good morning.

Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Report.

We won't be tossing any fruitcake today, DH loves to eat it.  Graham, thank you for the explanation of Humiliation Day.  I like it.

Interesting quote.

The meal sounds good, looking forward to seeing the recipe.

Buffalo Bills player Damar Hamlin is in critical condition after suffering cardiac arrest during last night's game.  Prayers for him.

@ottahand7Enjoy the next leg of your cruise.

Have a great day everyone.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

Good morning everyone, back to work for me today.  I’d rather be celebrating the festival of sleep!  I’ll skip the other two.  Not sure about the quote, it seems a bit bleak and with the weather we’re having today, no thanks.  The meal suggestion sounds nice but we had chicken last evening.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list today.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events and to everyone about to embark on the world cruise today!  Can’t believe it’s been three years since the last one. 🚢🥂

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good morning friends!  It's a warm 61F this morning and we had foggy conditions overnight.  We're expecting rain off and on today and tonight with a high temp of 68.  Thanks to Roy @rafinmdfor posting the Daily for Rich @richwmnand also for the list keeping and Bon Voyage threads.  It's nice to see the Volendam and Zuiderdam in Port Everglades this morning.  At one point we were booked on the Volendam's Grand S. America and Antarctica cruise but we decided to cancel.  Bittersweet feelings.  At least we can see the Volendam on the Port Everglades webcam.  Prayers for all who are on Roy's list today which I'm sure we'll see shortly.  Many prayers for Damar Hamlin and his family plus teammates.  I saw it all on the news while on the treadmill.  Very sad.  To all on the World Cruise and the Grand voyage today, bon voyage and happy days ahead for you all.  We will be following you and appreciate anything you have to report while away.🚢

I love that we have a Festival of Sleep Day.  Some days I really need extra, especially after a wakeful night.  No fruitcake here to toss.  And Graham @grapau27thank you for informing us on the background of Humiliation Day.  The menu suggestion sounds very good, and I would even have a glass of that champagne.🥂  Even the drink sounds harmless.  JK😄

Port of the day is Amber Cove, DM which I believe is a port created for cruise ships by Carnival.  I have never been to that port before.  It was listed here as port on April 18, 2022 so if you'd like to copy and paste your photos here today, just click on the following link to Rich's post. 

Have a wonderful day everyone!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

I'll definitely celebrate sleep today but wish I could get more of it.  We could certainly use more humility and I ate the last of my fruitcake yesterday.  The Horace quote leaves me cold.  I visited Amber Cove once (2017 on MS Koningsdam).  The meal sounds nice.  My alternative is Lebanese Lamb Shank and Baked Alaska, my last dinner on MS Ryndam January 3, 2015.

Today’s care list:

Demar Hamlin Buffalo Bills
Rest In Peace Pope Benedict internment 5 Jan
RIP Barbara Walters 12/30
Pele laid to rest
HAL Sailer DBIL in final days
Safe return for cunnorl
Cruisin Terri still waiting on furniture movers
curisin single heart valve issue
Seasick Sailor’s friends with covid and Allen with bad cold
From the rotation:
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1) and JAM37 (7/7)

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Volendam and

vd0103.thumb.JPG.2a3505856eee1c2d9f38a974a7e137b1.JPG

Zuiderdam in Everglades, both beginning Grand Voyages

zd0103.thumb.JPG.767663b2fb2d8218e2234b87656ad1fe.JPG
1 day for ger_77 (Rotterdam 1/4 to 1/25)
Bon Voyage Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam 1/3 to 5/12)
Welcome home cunnorl
crystalspin, Copper10-8,Vict0riann, Kazu, Av8rix, crystalspin, Vict0riann, sailingdutchty (1/31)  (Koningsdam  to 1/7), Damcruiser (Nieuw Statendam  to 1/14), Seasick Sailor (Rotterdam  to 1/25),  indaler and ottahand7(Volendam  to 3/18), and garlictown (1/3), Gail&Marty,richwmn and HorizonChaser1957 (Zuiderdam  to 5/12) at sea

Roy

• Like 23
  • Thanks 12

Good morning Daily-ites. Day 24 at sea on beautiful Rotterdam, headed as our Roy points out to FLL.

We really enjoyed our time in Costa Maya yesterday. The day had a soft breeze and boy was I able to shop! 

A story:

I stopped at a kiosk with pretty beaded souvenirs. The guy tells me his entire family makes these. He wanted $33 US for this beaded hummingbird. I thanked him and walked away. He chased after me and offered $25. NO, but thanks. " Ok ok! If you buy 4 I'll charge you $20 each. I'll be honest it's at cost I swear to God"  Ok. I buy the 4 birds. After a cocktail where I took the picture of a nosy bird and the Rotterdam:

0102231405c.thumb.jpg.fc796bd88a43e2a69786ab4a8c53f175.jpg

We stop by a beautiful indoor market where the same birds were $15.. Lady said no way the guys "family" makes them..

As we stopped off to buy vanilla I see the guy and walked over and said "Shame on you. You lied to me. You over charged me $20 and you swore to God!!! I will either write a nasty review on Trip Advisor or you give me 2 more birds. I mean it" He told me to pick the birds out and please not report him. The look on his face was priceless! Moral of my story.. DO NOT swear to God with a lie on your lips! 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 12

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich via Roy. Another very foggy morning here. Last night was so foggy, Bindi would only go to the end of the driveway and she stood and gazed around her for the longest time trying to figure things out. 

Roy, thank you for getting up so early to post the Report & Daily, and doing the Bon Voyage threads for Jacqui and STILL keeping our Care & Celebration lists! I really appreciate the time it takes you to do it & do it so well. 

Bindi heads to the vet early this morning, since she got in to something outside that has caused her major digestive problems. Right now the only thing she is able to eat without problems is puréed pumpkin. Sigh. Then we take down the cul de sac decorations. I have one gym class in the afternoon, and I really need to get out in the yard. Last week’s cold spell did a job on so many plants. 

EB1D9CBC-8278-44EE-9E2B-B4F4EBE650BF.jpeg.b125377da2a9841a37ca0f5d10de7b6f.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating!  Get well & stay well everyone!

Ruinart Blanc de Blancs Brut, Champagne, France

I enjoyed this Champagne at my nephew’s wedding a few years ago. It is lovely. Lots of consumer and critic fans. It is outside of my budget, but there are numerous online distributors with prices starting at $73.98.

Winemaker Notes

A supple, harmonious attack on the palate, firm but rounded. A voluptuous texture and vinosity that is not excessive, supported by excellent freshness. A very refreshing mineral finish.

At first very intense on the nose, giving way to fresh fruit notes, particularly ripe citrus and exotic fruits (pineapple). A highly refined floral second nose with notes of linden and white fruits (white peach).

Beautiful pale yellow colour with glints of gold and green, a vibrant, luminous color. Active effervescence with a fine, persistent release of bubbles.

Food Pairings

Ruinart Blanc de Blancs is a perfect champagne for all occasions: aperitifs, lunch, dinner, or celebratory meals. The vivacity of Ruinart Blanc de Blancs is a perfect complement to seafood and white fish, pairing perfectly with dishes such as sea scallop carpaccio and sea bream tartare.

WS93 Wine Spectator

A toasty blanc de blanc with an aromatic overtone of smoke and lemon peel notes accenting flavors of poached apricot, brioche, passion fruit coulis and fresh thyme. Fine and creamy in texture, with a racy finish. Best after 2022.

WW93 Wilfred Wong of Wine.com
COMMENTARY: The Ruinart Blanc de Blancs has always been one of our household favorites, and the current cuvée is alluring and pleasing from start to finish. TASTING NOTES: This wine is refined, steady, and attractive, with aromas and flavors of tart and ripe apple and a hint of spice. Enjoy it with ikura sashimi appetizers. (Tasted: July 14, 2022, Menlo Park, CA)
WE92 Wine Enthusiast
With its 100% Chardonnay, this Champagne is finely textured, elegant with minerality and the freshest crispest apple flavors. It does have some weight and certainly has intensity—a satisfying, textured wine that is ready to drink.
JS92 James Suckling

A fruity yet firm blanc de blancs with some brioche, cooked-apple and pear aromas and flavors. Full-bodied and flavorful. Fruity finish. Always a good bottle. Drink now.

W&S90 Wine & Spirits

Creamy in its gentle texture, this has the floral scent of hops and the sweet citrus tang of oranges. A subtle aperitif. Récoltant-Manipulant in Avize (Côte des Blancs) founded in 1947 owns 10 acres of chardonnay average vine age: 45 years oldest vines: 70+ years.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 10

24 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Daily-ites. Day 24 at sea on beautiful Rotterdam, headed as our Roy points out to FLL.

We really enjoyed our time in Costa Maya yesterday. The day had a soft breeze and boy was I able to shop! 

A story:

I stopped at a kiosk with pretty beaded souvenirs. The guy tells me his entire family makes these. He wanted $33 US for this beaded hummingbird. I thanked him and walked away. He chased after me and offered $25. NO, but thanks. " Ok ok! If you buy 4 I'll charge you $20 each. I'll be honest it's at cost I swear to God"  Ok. I buy the 4 birds. After a cocktail where I took the picture of a nosy bird and the Rotterdam:

0102231405c.thumb.jpg.fc796bd88a43e2a69786ab4a8c53f175.jpg

We stop by a beautiful indoor market where the same birds were $15.. Lady said no way the guys "family" makes them..

As we stopped off to buy vanilla I see the guy and walked over and said "Shame on you. You lied to me. You over charged me $20 and you swore to God!!! I will either write a nasty review on Trip Advisor or you give me 2 more birds. I mean it" He told me to pick the birds out and please not report him. The look on his face was priceless! Moral of my story.. DO NOT swear to God with a lie on your lips! 

Well done Joy and I absolutely agree with you.

Like you I am too trusting and that guy was taking advantage of your niceness.

We call at Costa Maya on Oasis of the seas this year and Pauline will be pleased there are lots of shopping opportunities.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Good morning! Yesterday was a day devoted to college football. Some great and some runaways but congratulations to Tulane. What a game that was!

We invited our neighborhood couple from across the street to watch football and my Susan really delivered with a fantastic meal. She made Julia Childs Beef Bourguignon which received rave reviews and there were no leftovers.

Today is just a matter of final packing and tonight we will probably have pizza delivery. First leg of flight to Atlanta is at 9:00 AM so hoping the fog will be lifting by then.

Thoughts and prayers for Buffalo Bills player Damar Hamlin who suffered cardiac arrest in last night game against the Cincinnati Bengals. He was administered CPR on the field and is presently in critical condition. I thought the NFL made the right call in postponing the game.

Bon Voyage to our World Cruisers and may all of you have an enjoyable Hump Day!

image.jpeg.274d070267cd913b253ebc4fae5466c4.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.2866bc0a145da6ccd2ae3d18fd062ae3.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c4e04934712b778b510211e49d9542ad.jpegimage.jpeg.3765c1047476a151965f62b132b810b8.jpeg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 15

1 hour ago, RedneckBob said:

Ok, how does fruitcake get two special days in past 10 days on its own. I think fruitcake tossing is an abuse of the fruitcake. How proper to have this with humiliation day. You should be humiliated to toss a fruitcake 😀.  What next, toss your kumquat!

No tossing kumquats here ... I adopted two cats two years ago.  They were littermates, although they look nothing alike.  The mother's name was Pumpkin so all nine kittens were named after fruits.  One was named Peaches (now known as ChiChi), and the other was named Kumquat (I guess they ran out of fruit names).  She's now known as KiKi.  She's on the left.

IMG_0296.jpg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!

It was a long day for us yesterday, getting up at 2:00AM to be showered, dressed and ready for the taxi at 3:15 to take us to the airport.  DH thought I was a bit over the top with our timing, but changed his mind when he saw there were at least a dozen people in line when we got there.

Fortunately our flights were pretty close to schedules, and we arrived safely in the beautiful, warm, humid atmosphere of Ft Lauderdale along with our luggage by late afternoon.  I kept tracking our luggage with the AirTags, and was pleased when I could see we were still travelling as a unit.

We checked into the Hyatt FLL Cruise Port, dropped our bags off in our room and went for a very late lunch/early dinner to the Outback Steakhouse just a few steps away from the hotel.  Seriously, we’d forgotten the size of the portions there; DH ordered the maple glazed pork chops, while I had the bloomin’ fried chicken.  We could very easily have ordered 1 meal, shared it, and been completely satisfied!  

Today is our free day, so we’ll do what we do best - go shopping!  The Harbor Shops area is just a couple of blocks away, so there’s a TJ Max, Total Wine (woo hoo!), and an Ace Hardware where I plan on getting a couple of bags of Dotties Pretzels to bring on the ship for room snacks.  In addition, across the street is a Ross store . . . could a girl ask for more???

We’ve decided to return to our favourite place for dinner tonight - the Quarterdeck Restaurant where DH will have a full rack of ribs that remind us of the ribs on the Flintstones cartoons, and I’ll enjoy their pecan crusted chicken salad.  And wine.

Hopefully by the time we return to the hotel from dinner tonight, we will receive word that our friends have arrived in FLL from the “frozen tundra” as well.  It makes me nervous thinking about arriving 2 days prior to sailing in winter months, let alone giving only 1 day to get to the departure city!  Fingers crossed that they make it!

Prayers to everyone who needs them, cheers to all with celebrations.  Be well, stay safe!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 36
  • Thanks 2

Good morning to all.

Thank you to Roy @rafinmd for all you are doing for this thread.  You are doing double duty and we all appreciate it.

Prayers for all on the cares lists—especially for Damar Hamlin.  He is a young man with his whole life ahead of him.  We pray that he makes a full recovery with no lasting effects from the cardiac arrest.

Cheers to those who are beginning the World Cruise—especially our own @richwmn.  I hope it is everything you hope it will be.  Enjoy every minute of it.  Bon Voyage!

Today we are taking a day off from going to our house. It is expected that the baseboards will be painted again.  They do not need us in their way.  Tomorrow we wil be back and I will hopefully be able to direct the movers as to where the furniture belongs.   

On another note.  Our new Living Room furniture arrives on January 12.  The Ottoman is on back order so that will come later.

So that is all the news I have for today.

I have enough to do around here so I will busy with those things.

Have a great day.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 24