The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday January 3rd, 2023

rafinmd

Good morning, everyone!

It is going to be a wet day here in mid-Michigan.  I am glad that we are looking at a string of above freezing temps for the next couple of weeks, but the rain will make me move my laps indoors at the gym.  Many thanks for @grapau27 Graham's explanation of Humiliation Day.  It sounds like a worthy endeavor for the 3rd day of the new  year.  No fruitcake here and I had a good night's sleep last night.

I would really like today's meal.  The combination of bacon and chicken sounds delightful and the addition of brussels sprouts makes it even better!   https://food.theffeed.com/2019/09/30/bacon-harvest-chicken-skillet/

1701409314_baconchickenskillet1.thumb.jpg.ac09a24c4a40005bc246f499c86e807f.jpg

This next one includes sweet potatoes and apples.  I'd try it!  https://www.wellplated.com/chicken-apple-sweet-potato-and-brussels-sprouts-skillet/

433841737_baconchickenskillet2.thumb.jpg.66eb5f0816575a8044876bd224600c42.jpg

This variation uses butternut squash in place of the potato and adds pomegranate and thyme.  

https://www.wholesomelicious.com/fall-harvest-balsamic-chicken-skillet/

648075896_baconchickenskillet3.thumb.jpg.3fd1355e1048deda0b3e1ccbf8945bb5.jpg

The last recipe uses sweet potatoes and butternut squash and rosemary.  They all sound so good, it would be hard to choose.https://www.flavourandsavour.com/harvest-chicken-with-bacon-and-rosemary/

1263886279_baconchickenskillet4.thumb.jpg.568d0b626d9c5694ca85c1b838c5bc91.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 13

🙃Sadly, we leave the Zuiderdam today....it was a wonderful 12 day voyage. 👍Previously to joining the ship, we were on the brand new Viking Neptune. Our Atlantic Crossing from Barcelona December 8 to Fort Lauderdale was very relaxing with only two port stops. 💕Happy 2023

😉Katie, Dennis and Aunt Viviane 

20221208_212057.jpg

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all from a grey and rainy Essex county. We expect a rain/snow mix by Thursday but are well above freezing today. Well all is right with my world this morning. Our DD and family flew home from Barcelona yesterday, arrived Toronto at 7:30 pm and had a 3.5 hour drive home. Roads were clear, almost no traffic but they had been up for a long time when they hit the road. Made it safely home by midnight after having to wait for baggage.. And my cousin and her dh from Montreal are back from a visit with her DD in Victoria. They and their luggage made it both ways without incident. The only one still away is DGD in Las Vegas for another couple of days.

I will be chasing stray blonde dog hair today after our Stella goes home. She is a very sweet labradoodle but of the generation that still looses hair. We love having her as she is great company but oh the hair. And since she is blond and my hardwood floors are blond and I don’t see well in the dark without my glasses I have managed to step on her a couple of times at night!

prayers for all that need them. It is great to see so many travelling again. Have a great day all.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, Petunia1950 said:

No tossing kumquats here ... I adopted two cats two years ago.  They were littermates, although they look nothing alike.  The mother's name was Pumpkin so all nine kittens were named after fruits.  One was named Peaches (now known as ChiChi), and the other was named Kumquat (I guess they ran out of fruit names).  She's now known as KiKi.  She's on the left.

IMG_0296.jpg

Actually you don't toss kumquats. The question is, How do you fetch your Quat. You say, "Come Quat" 😀

• Like 5
  • Haha 15

Good Tuesday Morning Dailyites!  I'm so tired when I get up, I thought it was Sheep day, not Sleep day.  I need to count sheep more, and get more sleep.  

Amber Cove is a favorite port of mine, and since I now know how to post my pictures (still unsure about the loading of the pictures to the computer, so that I will need DH to help me on that) I will be able to actually post pictures of a port!

However this morning I have to work, and get ready for my busy (ha) day,  actually evening for the CT scan.

@Petunia1950Nice to meet you, and I love your fur babies.  

Speaking of fur children, the second stray, son of Bubbles,  came in to the car port this morning extremely hungry, and it turns out that feral Fawn actually like him.  When she came off the porch she ran right over to him and tried to rub heads with him.  But like his father, he wants no loving from Fawn.  He's here for the food.  Poor Fawn, she is lonely.   No wonder she makes friends with the raccoons and possums.

Have a great day!

weather-snowmen-snow-cold_weather-freezing_weather-snowing-dren206_low.jpg

9967ea96c3689c213a0b95d67741cba3.jpg

f7ccf23a239622e841650997737cd6a6.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 11

3 hours ago, RedneckBob said:

Ok, how does fruitcake get two special days in past 10 days on its own. I think fruitcake tossing is an abuse of the fruitcake. How proper to have this with humiliation day. You should be humiliated to toss a fruitcake 😀.  What next, toss your kumquat!

I agree completely.

Bacon anything isn't going to work for me unless it can be made with turkey bacon. Kosher turkey bacon is completely feasible, but does not exist here -- the kosher providers are afraid of the public reaction (i.e., boycotts) that would be assured if they were to make it. I'll skip the cocktail but the champagne would be welcome.

I may have celebrated an early Festival of Sleep last week: my first night at the hotel in Arlington, I slept for more than 12 hours.

So Humiliation Day is really Humility Day? Rabbinic literature praises Moses from the Book of Exodus for meekness, which is close to humility, and young students have a problem with it -- they don't consider meekness a virtue.

Yesterday I set up a spreadsheet for the Spanish Farewell. Unfortunately, I set the security wrong and the first person who tried to add to it had to request permission. I don't know how well it will be utilized, because most of the roll call activity is in a thread for the combined Ancient Empires and Spanish Farewell itinerary, and people who have booked that way may not acknowledge that the Spanish Farewell is also bookable by itself. In that thread, people keep saying that they need a spreadsheet, but no one has actually created one.

I almost invited one or two other solo passengers on the NCL Bermuda cruise to by my guest for my Platinum dinners, but then it occurred to me that the offer might be accepted by someone I would find obnoxious.

1268880124_newcalendar.thumb.jpg.504fb90d022af57c164998507827bbfb.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

@dfishThank you for all your wonderful recipes.  I have saved many of them.  When we finally get back in our home I am going to try them.  

It is hard cooking complicated meals in a small kitchen.  Just don’t have the room and equipment.

I do appreciate all the work you put into providing all these great recipes each day.

Terri

• Like 23

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I will celebrate festival of sleep; we all need good sleep to function. No fruitcake here to toss, and the fruitbread I make at Christmas is delicious! Humiliating someone else is bad; if it's a day to be humble, that's good. The quote is sad. The meal sounds good. Maybe on the drink and the champagne is too pricey for me.

I haven't been to Amber Cove.

It's warm but very rainy here today. A good day to stay inside and do some cleaning. BFF is leaving today, back to his house. We had a good time at the Gardens yesterday, then dinner out after. Then last night seeing the devastating event with Damar Hamlin, who is from here, we were shocked; prayers for him.

@rafinmd Thank you for starting the Daily up today, and keeping our lists.

@Seasick Sailor Good for you for holding that vendor accountable!

@cat shepard I hope Bindi will be ok. 

@aliaschief Safe travels tomorrow. 

@Petunia1950 Welcome to the Daily. Beautiful cats.

@ger_77 I'm glad you made it safely to Ft. Lauderdale. Enjoy your day there.

Prayers for the Care List. Bon Voyage to all leaving on the World Cruise! Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay well everyone.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, marshhawk said:

Good Tuesday Morning Dailyites!  I'm so tired when I get up, I thought it was Sheep day, not Sleep day.  I need to count sheep more, and get more sleep.  

Amber Cove is a favorite port of mine, and since I now know how to post my pictures (still unsure about the loading of the pictures to the computer, so that I will need DH to help me on that) I will be able to actually post pictures of a port!

However this morning I have to work, and get ready for my busy (ha) day,  actually evening for the CT scan.

@Petunia1950Nice to meet you, and I love your fur babies.  

Speaking of fur children, the second stray, son of Bubbles,  came in to the car port this morning extremely hungry, and it turns out that feral Fawn actually like him.  When she came off the porch she ran right over to him and tried to rub heads with him.  But like his father, he wants no loving from Fawn.  He's here for the food.  Poor Fawn, she is lonely.   No wonder she makes friends with the raccoons and possums.

Have a great day!

weather-snowmen-snow-cold_weather-freezing_weather-snowing-dren206_low.jpg

9967ea96c3689c213a0b95d67741cba3.jpg

f7ccf23a239622e841650997737cd6a6.jpg

I hope your CT scan is clear.

• Like 11

3 hours ago, Petunia1950 said:

No tossing kumquats here ... I adopted two cats two years ago.  They were littermates, although they look nothing alike.  The mother's name was Pumpkin so all nine kittens were named after fruits.  One was named Peaches (now known as ChiChi), and the other was named Kumquat (I guess they ran out of fruit names).  She's now known as KiKi.  She's on the left.

IMG_0296.jpg

2 lovely cats.

Graham.

• Like 9

Good morning from a cloudy but not windy central Texas.  It is currently 62F with a predicted high of 68F, but no rain.

An interesting collection of days.  I got about 7 1/2 hours sleep last night, so I can celebrate Festival of Sleep.  We tossed our last fruitcakes a few years ago after DH forgot about them and they turned into bricks.  Thanks to Graham's @grapau27 explanation of Humiliation Day, that is another good day to celebrate, but I think it could be named a bit better.

Horace's quote is not a great one since we should meet some of our expectations.

Today's meal sounds interesting, but tonight it will be the last of the cabbage with ham and the blackeyed peas.  The drink sounds good, but we'll pass on the wine.

We have not been to Amber Cove since we haven't done a Caribbean cruise in 20 years, only longer cruises that make a couple of stops on the way to South America, Europe or the Panama canal.

Our thoughts are with Damar Hamlin, his family and his teammates.  Sending positive thoughts for a full recovery.

@ottahand7  Nancy, I hope the in transit process goes smoothly and quickly.

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, good for you going back to the vendor and getting two more birds.  I always wait until the last day to shop on the ship since that seems to be the day they have the best prices  unless it's a deck sale.

@cat shepard  Ann, I hope the vet can help Bindi with the digestive problems.

@aliaschief  Bruce, I hope your weather cooperates for your 9 am flight tomorrow.  Safe travels.

@Petunia1950  Welcome to the Fleet/Daily.  Beautiful cats.

@ger_77  Gerry, I'm glad you and your luggage made it safely to Fort Lauderdale.  I hope your friends arrive safely today.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, enjoy your day off today.  It sounds like things are moving in the right direction now.

@superoma  Eva, I'm glad most of your family is safely home now.

@marshhawk  Annie, I hope the CT scan does not have any surprises, but does have answers to your questions.

@Overhead Fred  Thanks for your pictures of Amber Cove.

🛳️ BON VOYAGE TO ALL BEGINNING THE WORLD CRUISE TODAY!  HAVE A GREAT CRUISE! 🥂

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 4

I just made it back home after seeing the surgeon.It was my post op visit and everything  is progressing  well.He said I could  start driving and walk more without a cane.I will be happy when I can walk the dogs in the neighborhood  again.It is a lot for the others to do three times a day but I need to feel more confident  in my ability to walk without the cane. Practice  will help.

Thanks to everyone  here who are so supportive. 

Bon Voyage to all those leaving today from Ft.Lauderdale.It must be very exciting at the port whether one is going on a World Cruise or a different  cruise. 

• Like 23

55 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Well, dog gone it. Earrings I bought for friends on board 2 weeks ago for $16.99 each (8 pair)  are now on sale buy one get 50% off. 😥 

The Collingsworth church group are disembarking tomorrow plus 380 kids. Wonder what our next week will be like?

I have been following your posts from the Rotterdam because we board on February 4.  My cruise is sold out but I’m thinking there won’t be as many children on board.  Thank you for all the insights you have provided so far.  

You did such a good job bargaining and getting a refund in Costa Maya,  why not try it at the onboard ship store?  Can you return them for a refund and then repurchase?

I hope your husband is feeling better.  I admire you for exploring and dining alone when necessary.  My DH  frequently goes back to the cabin after lunch to “read” which actually means take a nap.  I enjoy the pool or afternoon activities.   After dinner, we usually go back to the cabin with a pot of tea.  When he goes to bed, I go to a show.  That is one reason cruising is so perfect for us.

1B2AE277-7FE7-4166-B2B9-C7E6713566E3.jpeg.3855fbd7f6acb009723a62689593346a.jpeg

• Like 23
  • Haha 1

Good morning!  Sleep—-sometimes good, sometimes bad. Lately mine has been bad. I can’t seem to sleep longer than 4-5 hours then am awake for a few hours and finally sleep for 2 hours. I’m beginning to wonder if it’s my new medication. 

DGD came over yesterday. She said she was bored but all she has done is “chat” with a new boy, her future “husband”, and giggle and dance around.  Jack this, Jack that.  Oh to be 15!

Many thanks to Eva @superoma and Roy @rafinmd for the help yesterday with how to follow threads and find them easier. I have my settings fixed and it’s much easier now. 

I can’t wait for sail away this afternoon. Bon Voyage to all the passengers on both Grand Voyages. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 22

Good morning all!

Ironic that today is Festival of Sleep Day.  Last night was one of those nights -- sleep 2 hours, awake 2 hours.  All night long.  It was like Groundhog day lol.  Somehow I did manage to get enough sleep.  My mind wouldn't turn off, planning DSIL's arrival on Friday and plans for DH's belated birthday party on Saturday.

No fruitcake here to toss, but it would be tossed if there was any.  Humility Day would be a better name, and a worthy day to celebrate.

The meal, drink and wine all sound good to me.  We were in Amber Cove 2 months ago exactly, our one and only time there.  We took a tour up into the mountains where it was cooler -- an interesting day with both good and bad.

We booked the tour out of Amber Cove because I love gardens and it would be cooler up in the mountains.  The day was a mix of good and bad.  The good was the gardens were gorgeous and it definitely was cooler up there.  The not so good was the hoard of men trying to sell things that our guide led is straight to before we could see the gardens.  We wasted a lot of time just trying to fend them off, and anyone who knows me knows that not much makes me angrier. Never have had that happen on a HAL excursion before.  I was so angry that we were taking precious time from the gardens and putting up with that nonsense -- I felt like I was being held captive.   I'm sure they could tell by my glares I was not a happy tourist.  And yes, I did complain to Shore Excursions when we got back to the ship. I think we got a partial refund of the tour.  The other not so good thing was our van got a flat tire coming back -- but that wasn't anyone's fault and we actually had a nice, shady cool spot to sit with views of the water.

Our view of Amber Cove from our balcony

1537336846_AmberCove.thumb.jpg.78c17f71972f18e35f31d7c279f5b7bf.jpg

This is where our tour started.  Little did we know that once we went up some steps behind this sign, we would be met by a large group of persistent men trying to sell us things.  Obviously friends of our guide. 😞  They were lying in wait at the top LOL.

985662212_Parquenationale.thumb.jpg.7633e2d6797bafdb92c098e925c1f163.jpg

Trying to avoid and ignore the hawkers, I spent my time taking photos and waiting to start the garden tour, the reason I booked this tour.

Statue of Christ

1026130369_statueofChrist.thumb.jpg.8871029580c998b0ce503b9a755c1297.jpg

Pretty views -- these are cable car wires

163386784_viewswithcablecarwires.jpg.d27cb423632e92fbca690c3c8d62a2d9.jpg

Lush hillside

lush.jpg.b097bf7c316883f221090aa3bf5a790b.jpg

Finally we started the garden tour.  I felt that the guide was rushing through this part. 😞  

1659668085_yellowflowers.jpg.ef7d37a124136d816570421e1db438e4.jpg

2040804242_walkthroughlush.jpg.8f05088966acb1d9f6a22721353bfeb3.jpg

2146047183_redflowers.jpg.cc1c911339ac4f920683ecaffece2446.jpg

1877053868_redconeflowers.jpg.7fb4d9df0736ba54c963464c79571ce6.jpg

fern.jpg.5320605dc0e6ccd27ca27045853a8fd1.jpg

On our way back we got a flat tire!

2063293970_flattire.jpg.f7bb09f894952e00f77ab7c8885ef7f5.jpg

Thankfully we had a nice place to sit, with gorgeous views.

1495619147_niceviews.jpg.86f5ee17370966c8fc6c54c31b57440a.jpg

It took so long to change the tire, we all thought we'd be taken right back to the ship after the tire was changed.  But no, there were more opportunities for us to buy things (ha) when we were taken to the town and led through the town and to a large gift shop.

708297890_townsquare.jpg.d94ae5a54cf2623909b8902f845bde07.jpg

I thought this was pretty.

15388866_prettyumbrellas.jpg.98fb3a411107cdec0ba415b4b29af026.jpg

And this

1322612856_beautifulflowers.jpg.47518805507d35cf8a2a381f71f17f84.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Good "snowy", "rainy", gloomy morning to all!  Our weather since the start of the year has been all of that and more.  Yes, we need the moisture.  Please remind me of this when I complain about the dry summer!

Bon Voyage to all that are embarking on such amazing long cruises.  Thankfully, we all get to tag along vicariously through the wonderful posts we can read.  

@durangoscotsI know I wouldn't like your weather as you get much more than we do.  They have only plowed once in our seniors neighborhood .  I see that now Red Mountain is the only closed pass of the three between our locations.  

@rafinmd, thanks for including me on the Cares List.  But you can take me off as it is a condition I have lived with for over 40 years, and only have a bad episode once in a great time.  Was about 7-8 years since my last bad one.  There are others with more pressing needs that we can all pray for.  

I will make this quick for this morning.  I have to leave shortly as the girl who cleans for me should arrive in a few minutes.  Have a great day everyone!

Mary Kay

• Like 21

3 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

@dfishThank you for all your wonderful recipes.  I have saved many of them.  When we finally get back in our home I am going to try them.  

It is hard cooking complicated meals in a small kitchen.  Just don’t have the room and equipment.

I do appreciate all the work you put into providing all these great recipes each day.

Terri

You are more than welcome.  I understand what a kitchen can do to help or hinder cooking.  This year Thanksgiving and Christmas were a breeze in my new kitchen.  I finally had room to turn around!  Not to mention having a helper with me.

• Like 18

1 hour ago, smitty34877 said:

I just made it back home after seeing the surgeon.It was my post op visit and everything  is progressing  well.He said I could  start driving and walk more without a cane.I will be happy when I can walk the dogs in the neighborhood  again.It is a lot for the others to do three times a day but I need to feel more confident  in my ability to walk without the cane. Practice  will help.

Thanks to everyone  here who are so supportive. 

Bon Voyage to all those leaving today from Ft.Lauderdale.It must be very exciting at the port whether one is going on a World Cruise or a different  cruise. 

I'm happy to hear your hip operation recovery report Terry and pleased for you that everything is going well.

Graham.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1