Recent experience from Vancouver disembarkation

WaggesAZ

Hi there,

I am trying to book our flight home next August and see that technically the ship is in port at 6:30 am.  However in my experience, the ship is usually docked much earlier.  I wondered from others who sailed recently if the ship is in port earlier and if there's a chance we could disembark at 6:30 or even earlier?  I have found a non-stop flight that leaves at 9:15am, and since it is international, I don't want to screw us up if I am being overly hopeful in booking that.  I know the port is a distance from YVR as well, so getting off the ship doing self serve is not a problem unless it's not an option.  It is the only non-stop flight offered that day, if anyone is wondering why I would even try and push my luck!  Everything else will get us home after dark.

I am not new to cruising, but it will be the first since the pandemic.  I recognize that the pandemic has changed many things, so please do not feel the need to admonish the question, as it is just that, a question.  Normally we stay a day or 2 and enjoy the port city, but we are self employed and will have been gone 13 days already when we dock.  We quite enjoy Vancouver, it's definitely worth a few days visit.  It's just not possible this time.

Thank you for any recent experiences offered!!

Arriving and being able to get off the ship are two different things. In my experience the problem is part the lack of customs and port personnel and the need for the crew to set up the ramps etc. I would take a later flight. I would not expect to get off much earlier that about 7:30 AM.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, WaggesAZ said:

Hi there,

I am trying to book our flight home next August and see that technically the ship is in port at 6:30 am.  However in my experience, the ship is usually docked much earlier.  I wondered from others who sailed recently if the ship is in port earlier and if there's a chance we could disembark at 6:30 or even earlier?  I have found a non-stop flight that leaves at 9:15am, and since it is international, I don't want to screw us up if I am being overly hopeful in booking that.  I know the port is a distance from YVR as well, so getting off the ship doing self serve is not a problem unless it's not an option.  It is the only non-stop flight offered that day, if anyone is wondering why I would even try and push my luck!  Everything else will get us home after dark.

I am not new to cruising, but it will be the first since the pandemic.  I recognize that the pandemic has changed many things, so please do not feel the need to admonish the question, as it is just that, a question.  Normally we stay a day or 2 and enjoy the port city, but we are self employed and will have been gone 13 days already when we dock.  We quite enjoy Vancouver, it's definitely worth a few days visit.  It's just not possible this time.

Thank you for any recent experiences offered!!

As someone that has both worked for and sailed from the port, I can tell you that you will NOT be allowed off the ship before 7am (7:30am is more realistic) as Canadian CBSA officers do not start work until then. They are the folks that clear the ship for disembarkation so, even if it arrives at 6am, no one will get off until they give the green light. If you're lucky and do walk off you could be out of the terminal by 7:30/7:45am and on the Canada Line to the airport by 8am. That would put you at YVR by 8:30am - even on a good day, you would be hard pushed to get bags dropped, clear immigration and security, and get to your gate for a 9:15am flight....

• Like 6

Thank you all.  I didn't consider the factor of CBSA officers, and I will schedule the later flight.  As much as I will dislike getting home in the evening, you all confirmed what I knew you would say.  Appreciate the responses and wish you a wonderful 2023 full of fun and safe adventures!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The cruise port, is located right at the tip of Vancouver. It's a 6 min walk to subway then a 32 min ride to airport. The transportation system in Vancouver is exceptional. Also Vancouver is not a busy airport, small in size. You should be fine. I hope this information helps.

50 minutes ago, patlarry1976 said:

The cruise port, is located right at the tip of Vancouver. It's a 6 min walk to subway then a 32 min ride to airport. The transportation system in Vancouver is exceptional. Also Vancouver is not a busy airport, small in size. You should be fine. I hope this information helps.

Not good advice, the odds of making a 0915 flight are against you.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

@ceilidh1

I would trust this poster's recommendations and advice.  She has always provided in-depth timelines.

There are so many factors working against your best laid plans, including tidal currents.  Enjoy your 13 day cruise and take a later flight.

2 hours ago, patlarry1976 said:

For an International flight you are requested to be there 2.5 hours before the flight. Anyone who says they can make a 9:30 flight is wrong.  Been thru that airport several times both after cruises and after visiting family.

You are absolutely right, I didn't read the feed fully, was just trying to comment on how easy it is to get to airport, but I agree, book a later flight for this traveller. Too much stress involved in trying to hope to get on an earlier flight. Most cruise lines tell you, nothing earlier than noon.

• Like 2

After I responded to the earlier answers, I immediately booked a later flight.  I am not trying to end our trip with stress, and as indicated, it was question.  Admittedly, I was hoping for the best but I knew in all reality it was highly unlikely anyone would say it was a good idea.  Thanks again

• Like 2

13 hours ago, patlarry1976 said:

Also Vancouver is not a busy airport, small in size. You should be fine. I hope this information helps.

Small in size? I was in Madison Wisconsin, in early December, now, that is a small airport!

• Haha 2

Any word on if proof of vaccinations will be required for upcoming Alaska season?  Assume will still need to do the ArriveCAN app.  
Agree with everyone on not making an early flight.  Pre-COVID we booked no earlier than a 2pm flight on west coast and that gave us about an hour before our flight boarded and we felt rushed.  We took the train to airport.

On 1/5/2023 at 8:28 AM, Visaman666 said:

Small in size? I was in Madison Wisconsin, in early December, now, that is a small airport!

I can probably beat this one...our local airport has 5 gates...but is considered crowded when only 2 planes are in!  Only enough ground crew to service one plane at a time.

• Haha 2

If it is a regular flight, may I suggest that you consider staying a day in Vancouver and play tourist, then fly out the next day?  The ride to the airport via the train is convenient.  The walk to the train is not too bad, unless you have big bags, multiple bags or have problems walking up hill. 

Once you transfer to the airport there are several nearby hotels with airport shuttles that can get you from the airport, and then back early the next day. 

Nope! We were on the Grand in September and we were the first off of the ship as a group managing our own bags. We walked off about 7:45 and for in a cab to take us to where our car was parked. That took at least 15 minutes. You can do the math from there... You need a much later flight.

Toward the end of the cruise, you will be given disembarking options.  If you use the EZ pre check luggages option to your flight, which we did, we got the earliest disembark time at 7:30am.  Be ready at the dedicated waiting area early!  At around 7am, we were told to ready to disembark, by 8am we were sitting at the airport terminal.  Our flight was 12 noon booked from Princess, a really long wait.  we wish we could fly home a lot sooner.  But still 9:30am flight is a bit tight.  

Sorry to mention that our experience was at Enchanted and the airport was FLL.  "EZ pre check luggage option to your flight" was in my own words.  Princess allows to directly check in luggages to the flight and were given a disembarkation color tag for that disembarkation group.

1 hour ago, CeCe_ said:

Sorry to mention that our experience was at Enchanted and the airport was FLL.  "EZ pre check luggage option to your flight" was in my own words.  Princess allows to directly check in luggages to the flight and were given a disembarkation color tag for that disembarkation group.

I asked because I know Vancouver is a tough port as it is not close to the port and you also have to go through customs. One of my dearest friends has dual citizenship (CA/USA) and all of her family lives on Vancouver island, so I have had plenty of experience in the airport and in visiting the area.  As I mentioned above, I have booked later flights already because I don't want to be a crazed person stressing about missing our flight.  I appreciate your sharing your experience of ease with EZ Check Luggage.  FLL can be a zoo, so while you were sitting at the gate for longer than you wanted to, IMHO its better than standing in lines.  Hope all your travels are smooth and fun! 

6 hours ago, nini said:

Nope! We were on the Grand in September and we were the first off of the ship as a group managing our own bags. We walked off about 7:45 and for in a cab to take us to where our car was parked. That took at least 15 minutes. You can do the math from there... You need a much later flight.

Yep and as I said on Wednesday flights are booked, and much later.

15 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I can probably beat this one...our local airport has 5 gates...but is considered crowded when only 2 planes are in!  Only enough ground crew to service one plane at a time.

I can beat that - RDD. Redding, Ca. has 1 gate serving United and Alaska with a ground crew (United) that services both airlines. They each have flights between 7am and 7:30am. It is a bit of a zoo. 3 person TSA crew and you have to deliver and load your own bags onto the X-ray machine. TSA Precheck uses the same line as everyone else. Vending machines for snacks...

• Like 1