PRE DEPARTURE BROCHURE

Tablelamp

Last message too unclear.  Does anybody know if P and O are still sending out the Pre Departure brochure which contains the pull out page of luggage labels.  I’ve not cruised since pre Covid and I’m wondering if this has also been cut.

1 hour ago, Tablelamp said:

Yet another cut back.  After many years with P and O, it is now time for change.  I think my 35 nighter at the beginning of March 23 will be my last.

Does any cruise line still send out labels  ?

1 hour ago, Tablelamp said:

Yet another cut back.  After many years with P and O, it is now time for change.  I think my 35 nighter at the beginning of March 23 will be my last.

Probably more to do with the environmental impact of unecessarily sending out many hundreds of brochures before each cruise.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, TigerB said:

Probably more to do with the environmental impact of unecessarily sending out many hundreds of brochures before each cruise.

With the current state of the postal service, you woukd have finished your cruise before the labels arrived !

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

2 hours ago, Tablelamp said:

Think you will struggle to find a cruise line that actually sends out luggage labels. Printing them off seems the norm these days.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Host Sharon said:

Yes - Saga and Fred Olsen. 

Yes, do not know about Saga ones, but Fred's are a good quality that do not rip.  Never lost a label and had to worry about finding a case with him.

I accept there are advantages and disadvantages with all cruise lines and we have used many different lines (virtually all on pretty small ships though), but things like labels are an important thing imo.  Not everyone has a printer either, including younger people now as they like to rely on electronic copies of documents.  Sadly luggage cannot be transported as an electronic version, but would be good if it could.  Beam it up Scotty.

Edited by tring
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, tring said:

Yes, do not know about Saga ones, but Fred's are a good quality that do not rip.  Never lost a label and had to worry about finding a case with him.

I accept there are advantages and disadvantages with all cruise lines and we have used many different lines (virtually all on pretty small ships though), but things like labels are an important thing imo.  Not everyone has a printer either, including younger people now as they like to rely on electronic copies of documents.  Sadly luggage cannot be transported as an electronic version, but would be good if it could.  Beam it up Scotty.

The Fred ones were excellent, we still use the leather wallet that the tickets and cruise details came in from our first Fred cruise over 20 years ago. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tring said:

But if travelling from Southampton,  I thought you could get luggage labels from the porters ?

On 1/5/2023 at 12:48 PM, wowzz said:

But if travelling from Southampton,  I thought you could get luggage labels from the porters ?

We were told this when luggage label icon remained grey and so would not print. What I was given at Southampton was a standard plain, buff coloured card label and not a cruise specific one!   (This was summer 2021.)

Edited by Astrajet

1 hour ago, Astrajet said:

We were told this when luggage label icon remained grey and so would not print. What I was given at Southampton was a standard plain, buff coloured card label and not a cruise specific one!   (This was summer 2021.)

As long as the luggage gets to the cabin, the colour doesn't really matter !😁

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

As long as the luggage gets to the cabin, the colour doesn't really matter !

Agree but I thought it must make it a bit more difficult for the baggage handlers and stewards!  The printed labels are very easy to read where as someone writing on a plain buff card may not be so clear!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Astrajet said:

Agree but I thought it must make it a bit more difficult for the baggage handlers and stewards!  The printed labels are very easy to read where as someone writing on a plain buff card may not be so clear!

I agree,  but as long as there is a label, it will get there. We always use luggage labels that clearly show our names, (not our address obvs)  so the luggage will still reach our cabin, regardless. 

On the question of luggage labels:

Two weeks to go till our fly cruise on Azura.  Cabin not yet allocated, so can't print labels.  I "hoverred" over an icon and got a message saying that our cabin will be allocated on boarding.

Do we get our cabin number at check-in at the airport or check-in at the cruise terminal?

Although we have to collect our luggage at the airport, apparently our luggage is taken straight to cabins from the transfer coach.  With the effect that if our cabin allocated at the port, we won't be able to put labels on.

TIA for any info on what happens.

On 1/5/2023 at 8:54 AM, TigerB said:

Its not a cut-back. This was a planned phased withdrawal following the introduction of my.pocruises.com to replace the old cruise personalliser. This was all in line with the more to be better to the environment.

The postal brochures were almost out of date at the point that they were sent as extra excursions get added etc. Also, the main source of making bookings is via the website anyhow.

In surveys taken before phasing out the brochures, over 50% of cases used printed or terminal supplied labels - so they were not being used to the degree that they used to be. They were going in the bin.

Normally the terminal has a supply of P&O branded labels which you just put your cabin number on. Any luggage without a cabin number goes to a specific team onboard who have a list of late allocations (or can look up a missing number). 

If you prefer you can take you case to terminal check-in, to get your cabin number, and then bring your case back to the luggage drop off after completing your label.

• Thanks 1

I find this really disappointing - used to love getting my brochure and have kept them all with the sticky labels on them from our excursions. Have kept them with the end of cruise logs we used to get from the cruise. Bet they are going too ..

I am worried that all the little things I used to think made a cruise special have gone or are on their way.

Sad

• Like 2

On 1/6/2023 at 5:00 PM, Astrajet said:

I print ours monochrome. I'm a tight git and a  black toner cartridge last longer than colour. I also use sticky tape rather than staples as I'm fed up with digging the jammed  staples out of the machine.......and another thing.😡

4 hours ago, molecrochip said:

In surveys taken before phasing out the brochures, over 50% of cases used printed or terminal supplied labels - so they were not being used to the degree that they used to be. They were going in the bin.

Refreshing to learn that customer feedback is listened to. Particularly if it saves a few Bob

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

Refreshing to learn that customer feedback is listened to. Particularly if it saves a few Bob

You can make surveys say what you want (to get the answer you want) by the way questions are phrased.  You then use the survey 'responses' to do what you wanted to do in the first place and are then able to justify it ...............

I'm not cynical really ...................

Edited by Presto2
  • Like 1