“Ambush” style of new charges!

luv4cruises

12 hours ago, MamaFej said:

I'm glad you found something you like. Be aware that a Mini on Princess is considerably more spacious than a verandah on X. In the past, food has generally been better on X, but cutbacks are definitely being made. 

I hope you will enjoy your cruise! 

We have been in both a mini suite and a Veranda and the size was not noticably different to us.  The mini suite has the divider area which makes it a bit bigger.  Looking on both websites there is possibly 50 sq ft difference. 

We were on the Sky Princess in November and the food was very lacking, even had to send it back one night.  We are waiting to see how we like the Equinox - we were on the Edge in April and loved it,  No comparison to the 3 Princess cruises we were on this year.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2023 at 2:59 PM, jelayne said:

If tote bags have been eliminated that is new as we got one a few weeks ago.

This seems like a no brainer to eliminate. If you have a tote bag, bring it on board. If you're used to getting a new one for every cruise, why? It's incredibly wasteful and bad for the environment. An empty tote bag can be easily fit into regular luggage and weighs very little. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, LGW59 said:

If in the Retreat, we no longer need to bring our own oars, currently they are being provided if you purchase the AI package

So if not in the Retreat, we collectively do the 'crawl'....if enjoying the 'AI', we can do the backstroke.

As a long time cruiser (22 years) on Celebrity,   I've seen MANY MANY changes.

Back then there was no Blu or Luminae and all passengers ate in the MDR regardless of room category. 

Bring back some MAJOR OUTRAGES on Cruise Critic.

Elimination of the Grand Midnight Buffet was met with major outrage -   I will never sail Celebrity Again.

One of the loudest outrages I can remember  was when Lisa came on as CEO and to save money eliminated the little chocolates on the pillows.   There was so much outrage that Lisa reversed her decision.

I know there are many people that are upset but honestly -  Go to the grocery store and tell me what has happened to prices, quality and package sizes.  

In tough times we are all tightening our belts and Celebrity as well as the other crusielines need to either adapt or go out of business.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I know there are many people that are upset but honestly -  Go to the grocery store and tell me what has happened to prices, quality and package sizes.  

In tough times we are all tightening our belts and Celebrity as well as the other crusielines need to either adapt or go out of business.

They can keep the chocolates and take an item off the classic menu, I understand shaving some costs here and there, but just charge me a couple hundred more per week to provide quality service, good food, and entertainment. 

Cruise is supposed to be a fantasy experience, detachment from real world. That's what they marketed and built on for years. It's not cheap. Not asking them to make it cheap. Charge me a few more percent and maintain the standards, for everyone. More options, more variety is better for the guests. 

No one asked for coin operated cruising, I am not sure why they are intent on delivering it. And the things they remove, aren't things you can really replicate by paying for a suite experience. I budget when I go to the grocery store. that's real life. I can make choices about brands or reducing my consumption. Ultimately part of that budget is saving up for the times of the year when I don't have to face the daily grind: cruise time. Now they are making cruises feel like daily grind. 

If I'm dropping 5 grand for a week around a typical 7 day caribbean roundy-round, I'd rather pay 5300 or 5500 and have great service and be delighted and feel fantastic all week, as opposed to getting on a ship and discovering new charges, cutbacks in food operations, etc.  Once you pay and have an expectation, when it isn't met it can taste pretty sour.

What they (industry) are doing is creating uncertainty that what you pay for is what you will get and it is making me not book future cruises; not until the rapidfire style of changes seems to slow down across the industry. 

For example, Holland America; a line perpetually known for lacking entertainment, just announced they are removing Lincoln Center Stage from ships. Is it MY favorite thing? No. But they have fans, and they are utilized in 2 or 3 of the evening shows onboard, so what becomes of the entertainment? What about the people locked into expensive trips that that sort of cultural entertainment and enrichment was important to? Do you think they'd have preferred to pay 5% or 10% more overall after taxes, fees, flights, hotels, etc. and just have a wonderful week away, or would they rather save a few bucks and not have what they bargained for? 

Companies should strive to deliver quality, stand behind that quality, and charge us for it. Always Included was a dud, but now they are swinging way too far the other way. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

They can keep the chocolates and take an item off the classic menu, I understand shaving some costs here and there, but just charge me a couple hundred more per week to provide quality service, good food, and entertainment. 

Cruise is supposed to be a fantasy experience, detachment from real world. That's what they marketed and built on for years. It's not cheap. Not asking them to make it cheap. Charge me a few more percent and maintain the standards, for everyone. More options, more variety is better for the guests. 

No one asked for coin operated cruising, I am not sure why they are intent on delivering it. And the things they remove, aren't things you can really replicate by paying for a suite experience. I budget when I go to the grocery store. that's real life. I can make choices about brands or reducing my consumption. Ultimately part of that budget is saving up for the times of the year when I don't have to face the daily grind: cruise time. Now they are making cruises feel like daily grind. 

If I'm dropping 5 grand for a week around a typical 7 day caribbean roundy-round, I'd rather pay 5300 or 5500 and have great service and be delighted and feel fantastic all week, as opposed to getting on a ship and discovering new charges, cutbacks in food operations, etc.  Once you pay and have an expectation, when it isn't met it can taste pretty sour.

What they (industry) are doing is creating uncertainty that what you pay for is what you will get and it is making me not book future cruises; not until the rapidfire style of changes seems to slow down across the industry. 

For example, Holland America; a line perpetually known for lacking entertainment, just announced they are removing Lincoln Center Stage from ships. Is it MY favorite thing? No. But they have fans, and they are utilized in 2 or 3 of the evening shows onboard, so what becomes of the entertainment? What about the people locked into expensive trips that that sort of cultural entertainment and enrichment was important to? Do you think they'd have preferred to pay 5% or 10% more overall after taxes, fees, flights, hotels, etc. and just have a wonderful week away, or would they rather save a few bucks and not have what they bargained for? 

Companies should strive to deliver quality, stand behind that quality, and charge us for it. Always Included was a dud, but now they are swinging way too far the other way. 

Mic Drop!!!!!!!

27 minutes ago, mpdog42 said:

Mic Drop!!!!!!!

Well said!  Fully agree with LMaxwell.  

And, expecting advance payment with variable services and changes will be a turn off for new or younger cruisers, too.  

Edited by Cap_D
  • Like 1

On 1/5/2023 at 10:25 PM, jelayne said:

On a S class ship getting a entree from the MDR requires sending a waiter from Blu (aft) to mid ship and down  3  decks to get the dish and then back to Blu.  

On our (full capacity) April 2019 Reflection cruise they did not let anyone order from the MDR menu. They said it was only possible where Blu and MDR shared a kitchen.

I think the issue is that they are doing almost everything without any announcements. It has been a huge benefit to CC because there are now literally hundreds, and it will be thousands, of posts speculating, reporting, investigation, questioning, and arguing about both whether, and what, is actually happening.

X should try trusting their customers to respond rationally if they would just tell us what to expect and why. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Guest 4-2-N-8

Bushwhackers!

Ambushers, Amouse Bouches, and Bushwhackers! All of 'em.

I can't take another minute of all this rage, anger, and vitriol directed at Celebrity (and the other cruise lines). I'm unable to get in edgewise for my own (admittedly colossal) mountain of gripes about ship paint color, carpet texture, shapes of drink glasses, yada yada yada (and my first sojourn on Celebrity has yet to sail this month).*

*For the moment, my gripes are based vicariously upon everyone else's opinions, posted pictures, antagonisms, and outright truths (this is the internet, so I know no one on these threads says anything but pure perpendicular truth).

Can I get a witness?

Now c'mon, man (or woman, or they, or them, or purple people eater), quit harshing my buzz on Celebrity before I've even walked the plank.

I realize you (the collective "you," not any specific "you") might all be Super Pinko Domino Diamond+, but c'mon, man [or pronoun of your choice]!

You're all versed in Celebrity, right? Everyone has been through the pandemic, including Celebrity. Let's let Celebrity (and everyone else) get into a newer, and hopefully better groove, man (just like Big Lebowski would say it).

I sure miss the good, old gripes I've previously read about veranda footstool size, 1.7 degree too cold soup (when it had to travel 14 decks and opposite end of the ship to get to a stateroom), and robes that can't be found or God (of your choice, or no choice at all) forbid you (the collective "you") had to use your outside voice to speak with a human (beep beep beeeeee beep beep beeeep).

Now it's MY turn!

Can anyone tell me why Celebrity didn't install 51 powered USB ports next to their beds so I could set up my entire holiday (any holiday you cherish) outdoor home light set in my stateroom for my private, in room sail away party?!

Sheesh, Celebrity, who designed your ships, man (again, as Big Lebowski would say it)?!

It's a new world. Embrace it and help make it better. We are all in this together.

Peace ✌️ 

Edited by 4-2-N-8

11 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

Very well said. I agree with you wholeheartedly. Cruise lines like X need to understand that by constantly changing things up to cost cut, that they risk alienating loyalists, who will experiment with other brands and perhaps leave cruising altogether if all they find is further diminished product and nickel and diming elsewhere, or unaffordable luxury lines. However, I suspect X’s analytics focus is geared toward maximizing short-term profit and they won’t figure that out until it’s too late.

Also sad to hear about HAL dropping Lincoln Center performances. That was my favorite thing about my one HAL past cruise and shows were well-attended. Definitely less likely to consider HAL in the future now.

Edited by Shep_Proudfoot
  • Like 2

THANK YOU!!!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

Bushwhackers!

Ambushers, Amouse Bouches, and Bushwhackers! All of 'em.

I can't take another minute of all this rage, anger, and vitriol directed at Celebrity (and the other cruise lines). I'm unable to get in edgewise for my own (admittedly colossal) mountain of gripes about ship paint color, carpet texture, shapes of drink glasses, yada yada yada (and my first sojourn on Celebrity has yet to sail this month).*

*For the moment, my gripes are based vicariously upon everyone else's opinions, posted pictures, antagonisms, and outright truths (this is the internet, so I know no one on these threads says anything but pure perpendicular truth).

Can I get a witness?

Now c'mon, man (or woman, or they, or them, or purple people eater), quit harshing my buzz on Celebrity before I've even walked the plank.

I realize you (the collective "you," not any specific "you") might all be Super Pinko Domino Diamond+, but c'mon, man [or pronoun of your choice]!

You're all versed in Celebrity, right? Everyone has been through the pandemic, including Celebrity. Let's let Celebrity (and everyone else) get into a newer, and hopefully better groove, man (just like Big Lebowski would say it).

I sure miss the good, old gripes I've previously read about veranda footstool size, 1.7 degree too cold soup (when it had to travel 14 decks and opposite end of the ship to get to a stateroom), and robes that can't be found or God (of your choice, or no choice at all) forbid you (the collective "you") had to use your outside voice to speak with a human (beep beep beeeeee beep beep beeeep).

Now it's MY turn!

Can anyone tell me why Celebrity didn't install 51 powered USB ports next to their beds so I could set up my entire holiday (any holiday you cherish) outdoor home light set in my stateroom for my private, in room sail away party?!

Sheesh, Celebrity, who designed your ships, man (again, as Big Lebowski would say it)?!

It's a new world. Embrace it and help make it better. We are all in this together.

Peace ✌️ 

You are going to enjoy your cruise and your Retreat team is going to enjoy you!!  You certainly have the cruise lifers "number" and you have a great sense of self deprecating humor.  Bon Voyage enjoy the PH or Icon or whatever suite you will be in!

On 1/6/2023 at 12:06 PM, Luvcrusn said:

It does contain ice cream. X uses an ice cream mix like they do in a mudslide. I ask them to swirl chocolate around the glass too.

image.thumb.jpeg.451cdb5f5abc5b84194438563aae979c.jpeg

We were on the Edge in April and sitting at the MC bar a guy came up with a big bowl of ice cream to make his drink, not sure exactly what he wanted but the bartenders were very accomodating 🙂

That is assuming there are enough people like you willing to pay even more for that experience to make up for the loss of customers who choose not to book with Celebrity as the price goes up even more.  I don't think it is as easy as just charging a bit more to avoid cuts.  They need to also know that is what their market of customers collectively want.  I'm not sure how much Celebrity can go and still retain enough customers.  Just on this forum you have tons of complaints about how high Celebrity's prices are already with people talking about looking elsewhere.  

I've watched the cruise lines over the last year and a half knowing things couldn't be the same as they always were.  Most companies don't recover from a year and a half of no revenue and then another year plus of low enough occupancy as to not break even.  Just look at how many businesses in the US (and probably world wide) folded during the pandemic and none of them had that length of a shutdown.

Carnival Corp brands (I sailed both Princess and Carnival in the last year) from the re-start made cuts.  Their goal seemed to be to fill ships at whatever low price it took which meant cuts to the product.  Some were noticeable and well advertised.  Others were not.  For example, Princess went to a lot of already pre-made sauces that couldn't be modified.  The average cruiser probably didn't notice but those of us with dietary restrictions found chefs were very limited in how meals could be modified to meet our needs.  In my obvious terms, Princess hobbled around a ship (the Crown) with engine problems for almost the entire Alaska season before bringing it into dry dock and I really have wonder if anyone has been maintaining the Caribbean Princess or what they even did in the scheduled dock.  I have never seen a ship with so many obvious maintenance issues especially only about 6 weeks after its supposed dry dock.  And I couldn't believe how little variety was on even the lunch buffets on both Princess ships I sailed, not to mention the quality.

NCL has kept prices high ever since the re-start even when that meant cruising at lower capacity.  They haven't even had many, if any last minute deals since the restart.  And even with maintaining those higher prices, they have still had to raise other prices and make cuts.

Royal Caribbean Group really seemed to try harder to maintain higher standards.  Sure all ships struggled with enough staff so service was down and all cruise lines struggled with supply so there were many things not in stock.  But I just didn't see obvious cutbacks beyond that.  Unfortunately, that doesn't appear to be sustainable.

I agree that Celebrity needs to be a lot more transparent.  These cuts shouldn't be a surprise for passengers walking onto their cruise.  And we can argue about whether a cut here would be better than a cut there.  But I'm not sure the cuts themselves are avoidable.

• Like 3

Guest 4-2-N-8
53 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

You are going to enjoy your cruise and your Retreat team is going to enjoy you!!  You certainly have the cruise lifers "number" and you have a great sense of self deprecating humor.  Bon Voyage enjoy the PH or Icon or whatever suite you will be in!

Many thanks. I'm in an EV this month on Beyond ou of PE and an EV in the Mediterranean this summer on Beyond out of Rome.

The direct access to the Retreat area and Luminae for breakfast make an EV ideally located, plus the balcony. For two people looks ideal.

If I travel on Edge or Apex at some point, an Icon would be ideal (but the EVs with direct Retreat area access will be hard to not do).

Life is too short to be uptight (except toward chair hogs - "Hogosaurus Chairus")

Edited by 4-2-N-8

Various cuts over the years are fully understandable and not needed anymore. There is enough to eat on a cruise, why do you need a midnight buffet. Regarding the chocolates, honestly they should cut that permanently and only offer it to Retreat cabins. Then for the towel animals this is not cost cutting but if I remember well is not done anymore due to some other reasons.

Looking at the current product, X is charging always more and provding less. Food quality is going down, in particular fresh products such as fruits and vegetables. Then the choices as mentioned in OV and MDR is going downhill. When you complain they come up with excuses of supply issues, well then they need to look for other suppliers and pay a bit more to get better quality. One redicioulous example for Suites, they are providing the Bigelow products now, maybe it changed again, due to "supply issues". Well there are many alternative brands to Le Labo so if X wanted to find a solution it could have been done.

The competion is becoming better and if X is not going to get their quality straight, people will start to look for alternatives.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, prmssk said:

That is assuming there are enough people like you willing to pay even more for that experience to make up for the loss of customers who choose not to book with Celebrity as the price goes up even more.  I don't think it is as easy as just charging a bit more to avoid cuts.  They need to also know that is what their market of customers collectively want.  I'm not sure how much Celebrity can go and still retain enough customers.  Just on this forum you have tons of complaints about how high Celebrity's prices are already with people talking about looking elsewhere.  

I've watched the cruise lines over the last year and a half knowing things couldn't be the same as they always were.  Most companies don't recover from a year and a half of no revenue and then another year plus of low enough occupancy as to not break even.  Just look at how many businesses in the US (and probably world wide) folded during the pandemic and none of them had that length of a shutdown.

Carnival Corp brands (I sailed both Princess and Carnival in the last year) from the re-start made cuts.  Their goal seemed to be to fill ships at whatever low price it took which meant cuts to the product.  Some were noticeable and well advertised.  Others were not.  For example, Princess went to a lot of already pre-made sauces that couldn't be modified.  The average cruiser probably didn't notice but those of us with dietary restrictions found chefs were very limited in how meals could be modified to meet our needs.  In my obvious terms, Princess hobbled around a ship (the Crown) with engine problems for almost the entire Alaska season before bringing it into dry dock and I really have wonder if anyone has been maintaining the Caribbean Princess or what they even did in the scheduled dock.  I have never seen a ship with so many obvious maintenance issues especially only about 6 weeks after its supposed dry dock.  And I couldn't believe how little variety was on even the lunch buffets on both Princess ships I sailed, not to mention the quality.

NCL has kept prices high ever since the re-start even when that meant cruising at lower capacity.  They haven't even had many, if any last minute deals since the restart.  And even with maintaining those higher prices, they have still had to raise other prices and make cuts.

Royal Caribbean Group really seemed to try harder to maintain higher standards.  Sure all ships struggled with enough staff so service was down and all cruise lines struggled with supply so there were many things not in stock.  But I just didn't see obvious cutbacks beyond that.  Unfortunately, that doesn't appear to be sustainable.

I agree that Celebrity needs to be a lot more transparent.  These cuts shouldn't be a surprise for passengers walking onto their cruise.  And we can argue about whether a cut here would be better than a cut there.  But I'm not sure the cuts themselves are avoidable.

I wonder how much a mediocre experience for a first timer ends up costing them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LMaxwell said:

I wonder how much a mediocre experience for a first timer ends up costing them.

Best advise to a first time cruiser I have now a days, don't get hooked up with a brand and try various lines before deciding which line to prefer. With the strategy X is going for, where older cruisers might disapear and it get's time to invest into younger generations not quite smart to go always more premium on pricing but let the product become worse.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, prmssk said:

I don't assume there are many people like me at all; too many people only consider the thing that is 1 step removed from them, or 2 steps.  I consider 4 or 5 steps down the line what the impact is. Instead of ridiculing others when they want a nice vacation experience (not saying you do, but that is a forum vibe 110% on a number of topics "Why do you need 2x a day room cleaning...I don't get fresh towels every day at home" type garbage, see it all the time). But I do think there is strength in advocating that everyone get what they bargained for and if someone ridicules me for something I enjoy on a cruise, I still support them getting whatever they like. I don't delight in people spending a lot of money and being disappointed. 

Transparency in hollowing out the product isn't going to convince me to spend more. They sure aren't talking a whole lot about positive changes, enhancements, or improvements. New entertainment? New partnerships? Enhanced/revised onboard amenities? You'd think they would have something to balance out the cuts. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, LXA350 said:

Best advise to a first time cruiser I have now a days, don't get hooked up with a brand and try various lines before deciding which line to prefer. With the strategy X is going for, where older cruisers might disapear and it get's time to invest into younger generations not quite smart to go always more premium on pricing but let the product become worse.

Loyalty is a fools errand. Hotels, airlines, cruise lines, credit cards...they all move the goal posts, and if you spend a lot of time chasing perks you will be disappointed. Worse yet, you miss out on a variety of experiences. By sleeping around I now have decent enough loyalty level across a bunch of different cruise lines so that I get a few nice things here and there, but I got to experience a multitude of different things. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

I don't assume there are many people like me at all; too many people only consider the thing that is 1 step removed from them, or 2 steps.  I consider 4 or 5 steps down the line what the impact is. Instead of ridiculing others when they want a nice vacation experience (not saying you do, but that is a forum vibe 110% on a number of topics "Why do you need 2x a day room cleaning...I don't get fresh towels every day at home" type garbage, see it all the time). But I do think there is strength in advocating that everyone get what they bargained for and if someone ridicules me for something I enjoy on a cruise, I still support them getting whatever they like. I don't delight in people spending a lot of money and being disappointed. 

Transparency in hollowing out the product isn't going to convince me to spend more. They sure aren't talking a whole lot about positive changes, enhancements, or improvements. New entertainment? New partnerships? Enhanced/revised onboard amenities? You'd think they would have something to balance out the cuts. 

Over many posts, you seem quite dissatisfied with the Celebrity product, perhaps not in the past but it seems definitely now.  Would you consider another line that will provide what it is you're looking for at the price you are comfortable with? You've mentioned your cruises with Royal but unhappy with them.  You have said you 'sleep around' other lines and have a great idea of how things should be.  Why waste your time here on X board?  Perhaps explore the Oceania board whose posters may 'complain' less then X posters, and provide insight to a form of cruising which will make you happier?  Or are all these responses due to keeping your opinions flowing and spreading dissatisfaction.

Edited by Oceangoer2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

I agree there is strength in advocating we all get what we bargained for.  And we all want different things in our vacation so we should respect that everyone is going to prioritize different parts of the experience.  I just think that advocacy goes a lot further when we make sure we also recognize the tough and unprecedented spot cruise lines are in.

I fully agree that transparency is a huge issue here and that doesn't cost the cruise line anything.  And balancing the negative changes with positive ones would go a long ways.

Just now, Oceangoer2 said:

Over many posts, you seem quite dissatisfied with the Celebrity product, perhaps not in the past but it seems definitely now.  Would you consider another line that will provide what it is you're looking for at the price you are comfortable with.? You've mentioned your cruises with Royal but unhappy with them.  Perhaps explore the Oceania board whose posters may 'complain' less then X posters, and provide insight to a form of cruising which will make you happier?

It's an industry wide issue. It doesn't matter if I go with Princess, HAL, RCI, etc...too many changes, too fast, that erode the core product. There's a lot I like about Celebrity ships, and for the majority of my day on a padded lounger in the Solarium or enjoying quite good music around the ship, I enjoy it. I think 95% of the food I've had is good! I don't recall ever posting negative of their quality.  I don't go looking for problems with a notepad. I don't even use internet or forums on a cruise. If I *never* even see guest services that's a success. I don't "get into it" with the staff onboard, because they don't make choices. They work with that they have. And they work hard. I provide accurate surveys that reflect what I thought, and I post to a discussion forum. 

Oceania would work if I were doing longer cruises and comparing to a Celebrity suite level, however I am the unwashed masses Celebrity catered to to fill the 90% of standard category cabins onboard, and when I had enough RCI/NCL and being crowded and charged for something at every turn, I decided I would spend more and see if I got more. I felt like I got a LOT more w Celebrity. Intangibles. Refinement. A certain attention to the small details that made it an elevated experience. The premium cost was quickly forgotten because the product met expectations and WAS a step up. I feel like I went from a Toyota to a Lexus; same basic product underneath at its core, but a few more refined touches. A little quieter. Better service. A Toyota with a velvet touch. 

Now I feel like it's just turning into RCI/NCL as those degrade even further. So who do I book with to be assured that what I pay today I get 6 months, 12 months, or 18 months from now? This is becoming a general frustration in life beyond just inflation we are all experiencing. I really feel like many products and services are being degraded while costs increase, and too much management and leadership is not focused on growing the product or sustaining standards.

Who do you trust these days to provide what you pay for?

• Like 5