“Ambush” style of new charges!

luv4cruises

23 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Thank you for this, were you (and others, who also, either wrote and/or called about this situation) offer up what areas that X could consider cutting back in to offset the potential cutbacks in OVC???

Just curious as I have not read where any poster has offered up those suggestions, yet, unless I missed it...

bon voyage

I would be more than happy to do so if they were to provide the reasoning and data behind their decisions.   Since we have nothing more than presumptions regarding the 'why' behind the changes, I feel it's most constructive to provide feedback on the big picture.  Something like, "You're devaluing the X brand with changes while your prices have increased to be out of line with your competitors, so we're shopping elsewhere".

I too received a call from the 'executive offices' this morning.  Most of the discussion was the rep stating things like "thank you for your feedback... it's important to us...it's forwarded to the executive team...we understand your concerns... thank you...you've sailed a lot with us...you're important to us...etc"   

I was somewhat surprised that the call was presented as an opportunity for me to provide additional feedback beyond what was in my email, rather than an explanation/justification from them about the changes.  No mention of inflation, fuel or food costs, labor, corporate debt, CEO salaries, or anything else that might have been touched on in this and other threads as catalysts for the changes.   Purely an opportunity to tell them more.  

3 minutes ago, D C said:

I would be more than happy to do so if they were to provide the reasoning and data behind their decisions.   Since we have nothing more than presumptions regarding the 'why' behind the changes, I feel it's most constructive to provide feedback on the big picture.  Something like, "You're devaluing the X brand with changes while your prices have increased to be out of line with your competitors, so we're shopping elsewhere".

I too received a call from the 'executive offices' this morning.  Most of the discussion was the rep stating things like "thank you for your feedback... it's important to us...it's forwarded to the executive team...we understand your concerns... thank you...you've sailed a lot with us...you're important to us...etc"   

I was somewhat surprised that the call was presented as an opportunity for me to provide additional feedback beyond what was in my email, rather than an explanation/justification from them about the changes.  No mention of inflation, fuel or food costs, labor, corporate debt, CEO salaries, or anything else that might have been touched on in this and other threads as catalysts for the changes.   Purely an opportunity to tell them more.  

RCI said about the new fee for additional lobster tails that they were READING feedback yet they still implemented the charge fleet wide.  You aren't supposed to assume but it's a safe assumption to say they received far more "get rid of the fee" than "I love the new lobster fee!".

Most likely all these cruiseline-friendly changes will remain unless they see its hurting their bookings.  They put a great emphasis on the Retreat yet most Retreat guests won't experience these cutback or encounter the new fees.  It's like the IVs on the E-Class, if IVs are so cool and innovative, why aren't they on ANY of the ships suites?

• Like 1

We have posted elsewhere that folks who tend to book the higher priced cabins/suites, might want to explore booking with some of the luxury lines.  Why?  In terms of value they can often be a much better deal not to mention luxury cruising on smaller ships means no queues and higher quality everything.

It seems like all the mass market lines (ie. Celebrity, HAL, RCI, etc) have all been doing cut-backs, increased price add-ons, increased booking prices, etc.  Bottom line is that with the mass market lines folks are paying more for less!  This is not surprising with the huge extra debt (taken on during COVID), higher food costs, higher fuel prices, etc).  But with the luxury lines we still see some terrific pricing.  And MSC's Yacht Club still offers a great value (under $500 per person/day) for a luxury experience on a mass market ship.

Hank

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Thank you for this, were you (and others, who also, either wrote and/or called about this situation) offer up what areas that X could consider cutting back in to offset the potential cutbacks in OVC???

Just curious as I have not read where any poster has offered up those suggestions, yet, unless I missed it...

bon voyage

I did! I posted about it here and people got ANGRY and directed personal insults towards me. 

However the thread is gone now, not by my choice. THe bullys of cruise critic win again.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Keys Kathy said:

One thing that came back were CHOCOLATES! Do you remember when they took those away????? There was a a REVOLT!

Other things that are no more:

1.The Speakers. They had a speaker from NASA talking about what NASA discoveries had contributed to society, such as velcro. Another talked about the dimishing of the gold standard etc, etc

2.Crafts, they used to have people to teach you deccpage, counted cross stitch and more. They were people who got their cabin for free and had the cost of the their supplies covered. On our last cruise, they offered adult coloring......

3.The Captains Club Gala: We a huge party in the sky lounge with roast beef, sushi, homemade ice cream, tea sandwhiches and more. EVERYONE who was eligible would attend. All the entertainment on board showed up to do their thing.

4.Mariachi's in Cozumel at 5:00 on the pool deck

5.No more A Capella groups

6.No more open containers of qtips and cotton balls. If you get them now, you have to fight with the packaging.

7. No more last sea day buffet! That was HUGE with chocolate waterfalls, Ice carving, fruit carvings, butter carvings. It was held in the MDR.

8. No Suite Lounge entertainment.

These are the things I remember. I am sure others remember more.

Good news for you, unless these changes are very recent.  On the Silhouette in November we had 1 and 2.

20 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

I did! I posted about it here and people got ANGRY and directed personal insults towards me. 

However the thread is gone now, not by my choice. THe bullys of cruise critic win again.  

not by my choice  Didn't you say you reported the thread??

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

We have posted elsewhere that folks who tend to book the higher priced cabins/suites, might want to explore booking with some of the luxury lines.  Why?  In terms of value they can often be a much better deal not to mention luxury cruising on smaller ships means no queues and higher quality everything.

It seems like all the mass market lines (ie. Celebrity, HAL, RCI, etc) have all been doing cut-backs, increased price add-ons, increased booking prices, etc.  Bottom line is that with the mass market lines folks are paying more for less!  This is not surprising with the huge extra debt (taken on during COVID), higher food costs, higher fuel prices, etc).  But with the luxury lines we still see some terrific pricing.  And MSC's Yacht Club still offers a great value (under $500 per person/day) for a luxury experience on a mass market ship.

Hank

Totally agree with you, Hank. Indeed, X are pricing themselves out of their own market for the retreat. We love X, but retreat prices have become crazy - so much so that we've booked a 2 week MSC YC cruise this week for about the same price as a 1 week sky suite cruise, and we're actively looking at Azamara, Silversea etc for cruises for 2024+. If the price of a suite in the retreat starts to cost as much as a cruise on a luxury line, it makes sense to try the luxury line.

For our MSC cruise we will likely stay within YC - but the room is same size as a sky suite, there is a YC restaurant (like luminae), lounge  and sundeck - and they are bigger and better appointed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

bon voyage

As stated in my post - my exchange with the executive office was regarding the way that changes had been implemented without guests being informed. I do not disagree that some things have to change but at the very least we should be told if there are changes that for some people will affect the way they cruise. At no point have I been told of changes. In fact my app still states that room service is complimentary. The representative I spoke to said that the app has been changed. However 11 days after the changes were made ( and I suspect some while after the decision was made) the app is still showing room service as complimentary. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, talljules1 said:

Totally agree with you, Hank. Indeed, X are pricing themselves out of their own market for the retreat. We love X, but retreat prices have become crazy - so much so that we've booked a 2 week MSC YC cruise this week for about the same price as a 1 week sky suite cruise, and we're actively looking at Azamara, Silversea etc for cruises for 2024+. If the price of a suite in the retreat starts to cost as much as a cruise on a luxury line, it makes sense to try the luxury line.

For our MSC cruise we will likely stay within YC - but the room is same size as a sky suite, there is a YC restaurant (like luminae), lounge  and sundeck - and they are bigger and better appointed.

I've been looking at Azamara too.   There is a good promotion out right now with $800 OBC.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

NEW DINING CHARGES COMING SOON - YOU HEARD HERE FIRST.  DETAILS DROPPED RIGHT BEFORE X WILL. 

Unfortunately, there are a few variations of new MDR menu charges floating around cruise industry these days. Nothing should be a complete surprise anymore. Until they get a handle on the debt (or restructure) and actually start making money again (none are); I foresee more revenue generating. All three of the mainstream lines traded publicly have been very transparent that they intend to increase on board spending as part of their plan back to financial health.

Several lines charge for an extra entrée' and I believe Carnival started that practice prior to Covid. 

I believe HAL is now charging $6.95 for staple appetizers like Cocktail Shrimp.

I can't remember if this is NCL/MSC/or HAL; but one of them is limiting the choice in the specialty restaurants to one appetizer OR salad OR soup.

What one does they all usually end up doing to one extent or another. Celebrity adding the $9.95 charge for room service ($11.49 with gratuity) and charging for a second lobster was just a matter of time IMO.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Unfortunately, there are a few variations of new MDR menu charges floating around cruise industry these days. Nothing should be a complete surprise anymore. Until they get a handle on the debt (or restructure) and actually start making money again (none are); I foresee more revenue generating. All three of the mainstream lines traded publicly have been very transparent that they intend to increase on board spending as part of their plan back to financial health.

Several lines charge for an extra entrée' and I believe Carnival started that practice prior to Covid. 

I believe HAL is now charging $6.95 for staple appetizers like Cocktail Shrimp.

I can't remember if this is NCL/MSC/or HAL; but one of them is limiting the choice in the specialty restaurants to one appetizer OR salad OR soup.

What one does they all usually end up doing to one extent or another. Celebrity adding the $9.95 charge for room service ($11.49 with gratuity) and charging for a second lobster was just a matter of time IMO.

Perhaps they should put a point value to everything on the menu. You have 100 points. You can choose how you use those points. 10 points for the usual crappy shrimp cocktail or 20 points for fresh Key West pinks. Rolls are 5 points. Lobster is 30 points, potatoes are 10 as are side veggies, salad and soup. Desserts range from 5 for pudding to 20 for something really good. 

This way you only "pay for what you want". For me? Forget the bread and potatoes, give me a fresh shrimp cocktail, lobster and a decent veggie / soup / salad. 

This way diners get what they really want leading to less waste.

Gosh, I'm brilliant!

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, D C said:

I initially thought these calls were to make customers feel "heard" so we wouldn't be as angry but am wondering now if we have become their marketing division and they are looking for our suggestions on how to make further cutbacks! 😡

Please DON'T do that for them!

Edited by chamima

On 1/5/2023 at 2:59 PM, jelayne said:

Some of the items that have changed or disappeared happened  quite awhile ago, the discontinuing of cotton balls, Qtips & shower caps stopped long before Covid in non-suite cabins.  Aqua & CC sparkling wine and canapes have been by request since before Covid also, although some Cabin Attendants had them delivered without request most others didn't.

Not being able to order from the MDR menu in Blu was the protocol when we started cruising with Celebrity in 2012 on S Class ships.  Since the restart it seems with reduced passenger counts they relaxed on that but with staff shortages it makes sense, particularly on S and E class, not to have servers running to the MDR kitchen to get meals.

If tote bags have been eliminated that is new as we got one a few weeks ago.

The welcome aboard bubbly has been replaced with bubbly at the Captains Toast.  I too miss the "idea" of being handed a glass as we walked on the ship, but the realty was I hated trying to handle a roll-aboard, purse and a glass in a mass of people in a small space.

Oatmeal cookies that would be a major to me, but I remain hopeful as there were none in October but available every day in December.  

If missing a cookie is a major issue, there are no issues at all!  Missing your cabin after heavily using a drinking package passed midnight would be a different story...

Voyage, Voyage...

56 minutes ago, Keys Kathy said:

Perhaps they should put a point value to everything on the menu. You have 100 points. You can choose how you use those points. 10 points for the usual crappy shrimp cocktail or 20 points for fresh Key West pinks. Rolls are 5 points. Lobster is 30 points, potatoes are 10 as are side veggies, salad and soup. Desserts range from 5 for pudding to 20 for something really good. 

This way you only "pay for what you want". For me? Forget the bread and potatoes, give me a fresh shrimp cocktail, lobster and a decent veggie / soup / salad. 

This way diners get what they really want leading to less waste.

Gosh, I'm brilliant!

Sounds like a WW meal offering..... LOL

bon appetit and bon voyage

• Haha 1

On 1/5/2023 at 4:24 PM, shanebbb said:

During Christmas we selected a cruise - Feb 25th on the Apex in Aqua.  The price with insurance was $4724, which it had been for at least 3 weeks.  I checked on Tue (Jan 3) at 3:00 PM to be sure it was the same and then called the TA.  She checked for me and at 4:00 the price had jumped up to $5600 (with insurance).  Between 3:00 and 4:00 PM they increased the price by 18%.  That, along with all the cost cutting listed on this thread has left a bad taste in my mouth regarding Celebrity.

BTW - no Aqua cabins on that sailing have been sold since the Tuesday increase.

Our last cruise was pre-pandemic and we were REALLY looking forward to this one but WE'RE OUT!

All the best to all of you helpful people!

-Shane

On Jan 9 at 10 pm I saw Aqua prices for March/April 2025 multiple ships/dates; next morning they jumped for 7-day cruise by around 75 % (for example, April 6 Ascent Aqua was around $1,300 before tax, non-refundable, not all inclusive, and $2,311).  I couldn't call my agent on Jan 9, because it was late night hours, so I didn't lock a price.  We were lucky next day: I called my agent and told him about a huge price difference occurred overnight (just for aqua class) thinking to book a regular balcony; however, my agent told me to be ready to smile (an early gift from him for my Jan 11 birthday) - he gave us his special group discount (by far even bigger than his typical group discount), so we booked an Aqua cabin for a lesser price than the current "Prime Edge Stateroom with Infinite Veranda" balcony we planned to book, and on top of that he gave us additional $350 OBC.