Is Verifly worth the trouble?

ann1bell

Hello, I am on the Nieuw Statendam for 2 seven day back to backs leaving Port Everglades on 1/14/2023. There is no testing or vaccination requirement for this itinerary. The HAL website recommends but does not require Verifly. What is the advantage of using it? Thanks. 

Edited by ann1bell

Not in Port Everglades but in Boston (or maybe San Diego), it helps so you don't have to fumble through documents (even though we bring hard copy back up anyway). In FL we were asked about vaccination and flashed the Verifly "OK" but they didn't really look at it. 

• Like 1

I received an email today recommending Verifly for my 1/15 cruise. But my cruise doesn't require testing or vaccination, so there would be nothing on the app to show. 

Mary, thanks for the comment about the line being no faster. The email did say there would be a separate Verifly line, but it doesn't sound worth the bother.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, shack said:

Verifly is not even available in some states.  They have their own proprietary QR-coded vax documentation systems which we have found to be uniformly accepted - even via ArriveCan.

NJ uses Docket. I recently got the new booster, and by the time I got home, Walgreens had loaded the info to my Docket account.

I will have my card with me, just in case rules change while I'm traveling.

• Like 2

I was not used in Port Everglades on Nov 4 when boarding the Nieuw Amsterdam.  If have it loaded for my Jan 14 cruise on the Rotterdam but really not much information there since it does not require vaccination or testing

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Related question. Can I do the health questionnaire on the Navigator app or must I use the HAL website?

It can be done on the navigator app, but I found everything HAL related easier to do on a web browser on my laptop. Navigator app could use some improvement in many aspects.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

What does Verifly do that it will make things faster?

When you have VeriFly, they don't look at your Vaccine Test card or COVID Test results - they simply verify that you are the person listed as "Ready to Sail" and then you are done. 

Otherwise - you have to show them your vaccine record - they have to count the shots and check the dates.   They they have to look at your test results and verify the dates etc....Plus - often times people without VeriFly are fumbling through their bags looking for all their paperwork.  

So - while your individual time - once you get to the front of the line will only be a few minutes difference, the entire line will move faster when more people have verifly.   (Assuming they don't have a separate Verifly line)

• Like 1

I think that Verifly is an idea whose time has passed.  And it is not just Verifly but also other similar apps (including those mandated by some governments) that have become obsolete.  When we have traveled to Europe (and for an upcoming trip to Asia) we take the time (and effort) to complete recommended and/or mandated apps.  But when we arrive at embarkation or airports, in many cases the apps are ignored, and officials demand to see all the underlying documents (such as a vaccination certificate).   After having this happen a few times one can reach a point where they think, "why bother."

We have learned (the hard way) to always carry hard copies of necessary docs.  While relying on our phones does sometimes work, there are too many times when hard copies are actually the fastest way to deal with procedures.

Hank

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

I think that Verifly is an idea whose time has passed.  And it is not just Verifly but also other similar apps (including those mandated by some governments) that have become obsolete.  When we have traveled to Europe (and for an upcoming trip to Asia) we take the time (and effort) to complete recommended and/or mandated apps.  But when we arrive at embarkation or airports, in many cases the apps are ignored, and officials demand to see all the underlying documents (such as a vaccination certificate).   After having this happen a few times one can reach a point where they think, "why bother."

We have learned (the hard way) to always carry hard copies of necessary docs.  While relying on our phones does sometimes work, there are too many times when hard copies are actually the fastest way to deal with procedures.

Hank

We are always ready with Verifly or hard copies.   Verifly is easy to use - and it has worked for us well on  2 different cruises.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

When you have VeriFly, they don't look at your Vaccine Test card or COVID Test results - they simply verify that you are the person listed as "Ready to Sail" and then you are done. 

Otherwise - you have to show them your vaccine record - they have to count the shots and check the dates.   They they have to look at your test results and verify the dates etc....Plus - often times people without VeriFly are fumbling through their bags looking for all their paperwork.  

So - while your individual time - once you get to the front of the line will only be a few minutes difference, the entire line will move faster when more people have verifly.   (Assuming they don't have a separate Verifly line)

My cruise does not require vaccinations or tests, so Verifly won't be of any use to me.

• Like 1

Verify was not used on our Dec 20 sailing; there was no separate line in FLL for it. I felt let down because there was no point in using the service, and because I had instructed our group to download the app and go through all the rigmarole for no reason at all. 

• Like 1

We sailed out of Port Everglades on Dec. 21 and there was no usage of Verifly. I even asked because the email had indicated there would be an expedited check in line if you set up Verifly, but no such luck.

They did not ask to see any proof of vaccination during check-in (nor is it required), although they did have a health questionnaire that we had to fill out online a few days prior to departure fwiw. Questions basically asked if we were experiencing any COVID-like symptoms within the last few days.

On 1/7/2023 at 10:40 AM, The-Inside-Cabin said:

We are always ready with Verifly or hard copies.   Verifly is easy to use - and it has worked for us well on  2 different cruises.   

Can you download Verifly and the HAL Health Questionaire directly to your computer, rather than to a phone?  And does the Questionaire take the place of Verifly?