Nickle and Diming Strikes Again, Thanks to John

Jeter02

1 minute ago, d9704011 said:

I'm sure you know we can't get them shipped to us whether we're willing to pay.  Probably something to do with shipping these kind of devices across the border.

I know the shipping is strictly only for US passengers. Which I find a bit silly If there's a will there's a way to ship it to everyone in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

I'm sure you know we can't get them shipped to us whether we're willing to pay.  Probably something to do with shipping these kind of devices across the border.

Could be true however, to shipped two Medallions to Canada in one package will now cost $38. Really. 

Edited by DHP1

2 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

I know the shipping is strictly only for US passengers. Which I find a bit silly If there's a will there's a way to ship it to everyone in my opinion.

Stay tune. That may change also for US passengers. Don’t forget, this is the “new” Princess. The old Princess is now gone. 

9 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

Stay tune. That may change also for US passengers. Don’t forget, this is the “new” Princess. The old Princess is now gone. 

It has changed. They will now charge everyone US included for the shipping of you do not have the plus or premier package. 

17 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

Yup! John Padgett thinks it's now a luxury to have the medallion ship to your home which is why you would have to purchase either the plus or the premier package. I don't plan on paying for shipping for all my future cruises I will just pick them up portside for free. For my Thanksgiving cruise on the Sky Princess nobody received their medallions in the mail Everyone had to pick up at the port, honestly it went smooth as silk there was no problem It was probably an extra 20 seconds of your time with the check-in process to get the medallion.

IIRC, when the Medallion was first introduced (well before the current App disfunctionality), they marketed it like the guest would just breeze onto the ship.  The reality is that all guests go through the same check in process and it truly is just a few extra seconds to fetch the Medallions and hand them over.  They could have mailed the old cruise cards in advance if they wanted to.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

IIRC, when the Medallion was first introduced (well before the current App disfunctionality), they marketed it like the guest would just breeze onto the ship.  The reality is that all guests go through the same check in process and it truly is just a few extra seconds to fetch the Medallions and hand them over.  They could have mailed the old cruise cards in advance if they wanted to.

Correct

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

For all we know the whole plan just could have been to butter us up and spoil us with the ease of having the medallions mailed to us, and whereas like you said in the pasted cruise cards were never mailed out prior to the cruise. We always had to pick them up regardless at the point. It reminds me of the medallion net when it first came out. As the ships were slowly becoming a medallion class ship they gave everyone unlimited Wi-Fi for the entirety of the cruise and then after a year of that luxury that all went away. It's a ploy to show you isn't this such a wonderful thing to have if you cruise with us, and then after a while it's like great if you love it now you can pay for it now that you've gave it a test drive.

2 hours ago, Jeter02 said:

For all we know the whole plan just could have been to butter us up and spoil us with the ease of having the medallions mailed to us, and whereas like you said in the pasted cruise cards were never mailed out prior to the cruise. We always had to pick them up regardless at the point. It reminds me of the medallion net when it first came out. As the ships were slowly becoming a medallion class ship they gave everyone unlimited Wi-Fi for the entirety of the cruise and then after a year of that luxury that all went away. It's a ploy to show you isn't this such a wonderful thing to have if you cruise with us, and then after a while it's like great if you love it now you can pay for it now that you've gave it a test drive.

In a word: marketing

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

It will be for now, until everyone has to pay $10 to have them shipped.

Not that bad. Because for that Thanksgiving cruise like I told you earlier, the entire ship had to pick theirs up at check-in. And they had a really smooth system.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

It will be for now, until everyone has to pay $10 to have them shipped.

We always had to pick up cruise cards at embarkation and it was pretty fast. Why would the medallion be different ?

28 minutes ago, memoak said:

We always had to pick up cruise cards at embarkation and it was pretty fast. Why would the medallion be different ?

I've just got the feeling that they might want slow things down a bit to drive more people to purchase the package. 

6 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

I've just got the feeling that they might want slow things down a bit to drive more people to purchase the package. 

I don't think so. Last thing they want is embarkation to be slow.

• Like 3

On 1/8/2023 at 6:16 AM, chabad said:

While we are on the topic of nickel and diming, can we also please throw in the fact, they'll now be charging you to ship the medallion to your home, if don't purchase any of the packages. I mean I'm perfectly fine just picking it up at the port at that point, but it's the principle behind it on how they think they are cutting corners. Little by little I'm feeling more more less appreciated for my elite loyal status to the company, because I choose not to pay an absurd amount of extra money on my cruise because most of those items don't apply to me from the packages.

I understand the concern but it seems reasonable to pay for the shipping if one opts for it to be mailed as opposed to picking it up.   I don't know how many of the over 2 million passengers annually want the medallion shipped, but it could be a considerable expense.  If it were me I would remove the option completely.    Unless that is, a significant number of people wanted it mailed, in which case it would be a revenue generator.   

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, memoak said:

We picked the medallion up at check-in.  It was no different than picking up the cruise card.