Is anyone else experiencing long delays in getting refunds from X?

natshala

I canceled a cruise a month ago. Promised a refund in 7 to 10 days. Still haven’t received it. Called my TA twice. Both times TA called X resolutions who indicated the refund would come “soon.” Still nothing. My TA (who cannot be named) is a VERY LARGE retailer but doesn’t seem to have any clout. X won’t talk with me directly. One question is how much help should I expect from my TA?

X also owes me for almost $500 in associated excursions I booked. Still waiting. I’ve learned not to book excursions in advance.

Any ideas on how to get X to process my refunds short of filing credit card disputes?

If you are planning to cancel a cruise and have booked excursions, specialty dining, beverage upgrades or similar that you paid for via credit card I recommend you cancel those before cancelling the cruise.  Refunds for cancelling those are a automated transaction and the refunds to your cr card generally show up in a week.

We cancelled a cruise on 10/28 and our TA had the FCCs in a little over 5 weeks.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Both my wife and I were Covid positive ( pretty mild) halfway through our November cruise and were isolated. Celebrity's letter while onboard said to expect a pro-rated refund 7 to 14 days after the cruise. Three weeks on and there was nothing. So I called Celebrity and I was made to understand that I had to call in to initiate the claim. Not sure whether she was right and the letter was a miscommunication? Anyway, she took our particulars, made the calculations and came up with the expected refund amount. 

She put through the claim and forewarned me that they have quite a backlog and I might not see the refund show up on my credit card for six to eight weeks. Well. it showed up three weeks later. So, other than the initial "miscommunication". I 'm a happy camper.

I booked the cruise through big box online TA but I made the call directly to Celebrity. 

• Thanks 1

Since you've booked with a TA, check your credit card statement for the initial charge you're expecting to see refunded.  Was the charge direct to Celebrity, or to the TA?  Different TA's use either method.  If the charge is to the TA, that's who has your money, and with whom your direct issue is with.  If the charge is with Celebrity, of course that's where your actual dispute lies. 

The other problem is that Celebrity rightly feels you've got an agent, who they have promised will be their only point of contact regarding your booking.  You agent now is still servicing a reservation for which they will get no commission, so they are now working for nothing; and thus have little incentive to spend time on your issue. 

Harris

Denver, CO

I recently cancelled a NR deposit and took me 6 weeks to get the FCC.   When I went to apply it found that it was only for $400 as oppose to $800 (1,000 deposit less $100 pp).  

I called and took awhile for the agent to sort it out.   Since I had not designated a second passenger they could not process the other half to the second deposit.    I was surprised they added an additional $500 onto my current FCC.   He said that since I didn't have a second passenger they wouldn't charge me the $100 for that "non-passenger"   The FCC was updated while I was on the phone and I was able to apply it the next day for a cruise where final payment was coming up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here is another type of Refund experience.... I did a MoveUp Bid for a Concierge Class Stateroom on Eclipse in November for a South Pacific cruise December 9-20th. 2022.

Received the Happy News November 30th. that my offer was accepted, and my Credit Card was charged $1461.50 !  The Problem was that my Bid had been $1190.00 (I was a solo cruises so my Bid of $595.00 was doubled I Knew that) So I called the Celebrity Engagement phone number (844-418-6824) and was shuffled around till I finally got to talk to someone connected to the MoveUp department who ADMITTED they screwed up my Bid and over charged me $271.50 and would initiate a refund.

Ok I do the cruise and on returning check my CC account and no refund as of December 30th. (30 days) so on January 6th. I called again and the person I talked to reviewed my past calls and X's actions and said he would Again put in a request for my refund................So the adventure continues..........

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jelayne said:

If you are planning to cancel a cruise and have booked excursions, specialty dining, beverage upgrades or similar that you paid for via credit card I recommend you cancel those before cancelling the cruise.  Refunds for cancelling those are a automated transaction and the refunds to your cr card generally show up in a week.

We cancelled a cruise on 10/28 and our TA had the FCCs in a little over 5 weeks.

I canceled a shore excursion a month ago now and am still waiting on the credit to my credit card and OBC.  I used both to cover the excursion.  I've been refunded neither.

2 minutes ago, JHCruiser123 said:

I canceled a shore excursion a month ago now and am still waiting on the credit to my credit card and OBC.  I used both to cover the excursion.  I've been refunded neither.

My OBC was refunded directly to my account which showed up online immediately after cancelling.  Still waiting for the cash portion to be refunded 6 weeks later.

5 hours ago, jelayne said:

I wanted to change a specialty dining booking which involved cancelling the first booking. It took 5 weeks and three emails before we received a refund. 

Last monday I booked a cruise by phone with a refundable deposit, but when I received the confirmation it clearly stated that it was booked with a NON refundable deposit. I called back a few minutes later, and the new agent said that she should cancel the booking and create a new one (so I paid a new deposit for this new booking).

I started checking my credit card account every day and the refund for the canceled booking appeared today (so it took almost a week).

It's a long time honored tradition of RC (Who owns CC) to instantly take your money for purchases but drag their feet in refunding your money. Refunds can take anywhere from 14 business days (For smaller stuff) to up to 2 months for refunding a cruise. Keep checking and stay vigilant. Good luck!!!!

On 1/7/2023 at 9:04 AM, Cajuntraveler said:

I'm also interested in how long it takes for refunds.  On Wednesday I cancelled a cruise that is departing today.  I am only expecting a refund of the port fees, but I can't file an insurance claim until I know exactly how much I've lost. 

Follow up - On 1/9/23 I sent an e-mail to cec@celebrity.com asking about the refund of my port fees.

I did not receive a response to my e-mail, but the refund was posted to my credit card the same day.

44 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I may have won the prize as a refund took 18 months! But not sure if the issue was actually our not allowed to name online booking agency rather than Celebrity 

You are a very patient person....18 months would be about 16 months longer than I would be able to wait.  How did you get through to them and did they offer an excuse or was it blame on X?

6 hours ago, Cajuntraveler said:

Follow up - On 1/9/23 I sent an e-mail to cec@celebrity.com asking about the refund of my port fees.

I did not receive a response to my e-mail, but the refund was posted to my credit card the same day.

Thanks for posting that email address. I’m going to give it a try!

• Like 1