Migrant rescue this afternoon on Beyod

utopiahereicome

19 minutes ago, zitsky said:

So what happens to them now?  I would think this is not very common?

The are provided with medical care, food, clothing and shelter until the earliest opportunity the ship and the authorities can rendezvous.  I'm not sure WHICH authorities ... next port ... nearest port ... US Coast Guard ...  depends on where they're picked up??? I assume they aren't put in the brig or given free movement on the ship ... secured in whatever staterooms the ship has for such things? Anybody know the maritime rules that govern rescued people at sea?  I do know that all ships are required to render assistance to anyone in distress.

Edited by gardengalaz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would think that a cruise ship would report them to the Coast Guard and not take  them on board.   How would they know if they weren’t armed?    Seems rather dangerous.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

6 minutes ago, miched said:

I would think that a cruise ship would report them to the Coast Guard and not take  them on board.   How would they know if they weren’t armed?    Seems rather dangerous.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Captain Kate posted a video of the rescue of 19 last week.  Before they are taken onto the ship Security checks to be sure they can board.  No details on how they do that, but it was a interesting video.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, miched said:

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Captain Kate announced that USCG had been informed 

Happened on Beyond's last transit through the area.  I think they are looking for them as they transit through the area.  

I was on Apex in March, while doing the behind the scenes tour, in the bridge they keeping an eye on a small boat in our path, someone asked what happens if they don't move and was told the bigger ship has the right of way.  Don't think there was any way we were stopping.  

1 minute ago, Tyler414 said:

Happened on Beyond's last transit through the area.  I think they are looking for them as they transit through the area.  

I was on Apex in March, while doing the behind the scenes tour, in the bridge they keeping an eye on a small boat in our path, someone asked what happens if they don't move and was told the bigger ship has the right of way.  Don't think there was any way we were stopping.  

Bigger has the right of way?  Makes me flash back to my morning commute.  

39 minutes ago, Tyler414 said:

probably more of a 'could' it stop than a 'would it stop'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tyler414 said:

https://www.usni.org/magazines/proceedings/2017/november/which-ship-has-right-way

https://maritime.college/Boating-Rules.php

Sail boats usually have the right of way, and they are usually smaller.   It all depends on the circumstance.   It is like the pedestrian has the right of way but he may end up dead right.   I wouldn’t push the issue if in a smaller craft, powered or not powered. 

Happy crusing 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1

It is a great thing that these people were given add and saved from a life threatening situation.  However, it is unfortunate that they stand a good change of being returned to Cuba where there is no telling what will happen to them as a result of their trying to escape.  Hopefully, some, if not all of them, will be able to safely obtain political asylum in the US. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, miched said:

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

It concerns me as well. I certainly don’t advocate not helping them, but this is happening quite frequently lately.  Call me cynical but it seems like a good way for someone with bad intentions to find their way onto a cruise ship fairly easily to do heaven knows what to thousands of people.  I don’t know what the answer is. It wouldn’t be right to leave them stranded, but I just think one day this will not end well. I would be very happy to be wrong.