Royal Caribbean New Menus - Expected on all ships by end of February

1 hour ago, schlimazel_traveler said:

Unfortunately, the WJ is following the MDR theme on our current cruise on Enchantment. Some, but not most, of the items on the DR menu are available in the WJ. We're having three Mexican nights and two Italian nights this cruise, but no Asian night in WJ because it's not a theme in MDR. 

I'm not too excited about an ENGLISH themed buffet. 

Well this is disappointing.  Who knew a cruise could be come the new diet. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, schlimazel_traveler said:

Unfortunately, the WJ is following the MDR theme on our current cruise on Enchantment. Some, but not most, of the items on the DR menu are available in the WJ. We're having three Mexican nights and two Italian nights this cruise, but no Asian night in WJ because it's not a theme in MDR. 

Thanks this is the first answer I have seen from someone actually on board - most of the 16 pages of this thread have been speculation, or opinions.

Is this a short cruise? I am not over excited at the portrayal of BRITISH night menu in the MDR but how did it become English in WJ?

I find no Indian or Caribbean in the WJ hard to believe or are they available but just not highlighted?

1 minute ago, c-leg5 said:

Is this a short cruise? 

I find no Indian or Caribbean in the WJ hard to believe or are they available but just not highlighted?

As in the MDR, there is an Indian option every night, sometimes two, plus dal. It has usually, but not always, been the MDR offering. (We didn't get the lamb kofta.)

We did get a Caribbean theme night when MDR had it, but I've previously seen some of my Caribbean favorites (oxtails) on other nights and have not this time.

The MDR theme desserts have not been available in WJ (no tiramisu on Italian night or sticky toffee pudding on British night, which was renamed "from across the pond" in WJ).

It's a 12 night cruise, which is how we're ending up with 3 Mexican nights.

Update! Update! Update!

The app showing the menus coming up has been changed, and we are apparently scheduled to have a Spain theme and and India theme, Creole night, and an "all American classics" theme.

The second Italian night is now Italy and France, which aligns with Italian night, take 2, in the MDR. There will be a Mediterranean night as well.

This is a big improvement in variety over what the app was showing before. The food is ...fine.

3 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Edited by schlimazel_traveler
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, schlimazel_traveler said:

As in the MDR, there is an Indian option every night, sometimes two, plus dal. It has usually, but not always, been the MDR offering. (We didn't get the lamb kofta.)

We did get a Caribbean theme night when MDR had it, but I've previously seen some of my Caribbean favorites (oxtails) on other nights and have not this time.

The MDR theme desserts have not been available in WJ (no tiramisu on Italian night or sticky toffee pudding on British night, which was renamed "from across the pond" in WJ).

It's a 12 night cruise, which is how we're ending up with 3 Mexican nights.

6 minutes ago, schlimazel_traveler said:

Update! Update! Update!

The app showing the menus coming up has been changed, and we are apparently scheduled to have a Spain theme and and India theme, Creole night, and an "all American classics" theme.

The second Italian night is now Italy and France, which aligns with Italian night, take 2, in the MDR. There will be a Mediterranean night as well.

This is a big improvement in variety over what the app was showing before. The food is ...fine.

LOL! Sounds like it is changing by the minute. Thanks for updates.

1 hour ago, c-leg5 said:

Thanks this is the first answer I have seen from someone actually on board - most of the 16 pages of this thread have been speculation, or opinions.

Is this a short cruise? I am not over excited at the portrayal of BRITISH night menu in the MDR but how did it become English in WJ?

EN is out of Baltimore.  Outside of the Bermuda cruises (summer), none are short at all.  It's currently on a 12 night Caribbean cruise.

41 minutes ago, BND said:

EN is out of Baltimore.  Outside of the Bermuda cruises (summer), none are short at all.  It's currently on a 12 night Caribbean cruise.

So it appears from the PP now but the original options seemed very limited. 

On 1/18/2023 at 2:28 PM, rockmom said:

Agree. There was usually at least one vegetarian item on the main menu for both appetizer and entree, and then on the vegan menu, usually 2 appetizer and 2 entree options.  Now the vegan menu is gone and the only vegetarian option on the main menu is vegan--so no choice, just one option for appetizer and entree.  Vegan can be pretty drastic compared to a vegetarian menu that includes dairy and eggs. Not all vegetarians are, or want to be, vegan.  

On 1/18/2023 at 4:32 PM, rockmom said:

Yes, I can see it in the app, but I've also seen reports that it is going away which is why the 'V' option on the new menus is vegan and not just vegetarian like the old menu, so that it can cover all plant-based dining.  

On 1/18/2023 at 4:41 PM, Biker19 said:

If you noticed my quote I modified the poster’s comment to vegan. You can see the separate vegan menu in the current/old version of the menu in the app on ships which still have that or you can see the vegan choice in the new/future menu (like Symphony). 

Circling back on this since I just checked quite a few current sailings on various ships, including Symphony.  The separate vegan menu no longer shows up on any that I checked.  If they are truly only going to have one vegan offering (and nothing vegetarian), that's a huge miss, in my opinion.  As I said in a prior post, not all vegetarians are vegans and would like to have something without meat, but not lose out on things like cheese, eggs, dairy as their protein.

Edited by rockmom
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, rockmom said:

Circling back on this since I just checked quite a few current sailings on various ships, including Symphony.  The separate vegan menu no longer shows up on any that I checked.  If they are truly only going to have one vegan offering (and nothing vegetarian), that's a huge miss, in my opinion.  As I said in a prior post, not all vegetarians are vegans and would like to have something without meat, but not lose out on things like cheese, eggs, dairy as their protein.

You think that is bad, wait until some posters find out that the Banana Split dessert is no longer on the kiddie's menu.😆

5 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

There are enough veg on any ship to satisfy anybody.  They are everywhere you look especially in Windjammer.

But we are talking about the MDR as we have gone from 11 entrees (a poster mentioned that the vegan menu had 2 entrees) to 7 in total.  I understand that I'm not going to starve, but it limits the flexibility on any given night.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, nelblu said:

You think that is bad, wait until some posters find out that the Banana Split dessert is no longer on the kiddie's menu.😆

Noo,.......Nooooo...., tell me it is not so.... The banana split dessert just slipped off the menu?

Oh, the inhumanity of it all.  🥺😦😧😨😭

18 hours ago, schlimazel_traveler said:

You mean you’re not looking forward to sausage rolls, scotch eggs and cheese and pineapple on a cruise buffet?? And I’m sure they’ll have trifle 😂

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Donsyb said:

You mean you’re not looking forward to sausage rolls, scotch eggs and cheese and pineapple on a cruise buffet?? And I’m sure they’ll have trifle 😂

What the heck is a scotch eggs.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Donsyb said:

They did have Scotch eggs, but I didn't see sausage rolls. There was a version of bubble and squeak, in the form of pancakes. One pudding-in-a-plastic-cup was labeled trifle but I've seen the GBBO and can't be fooled.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, nelblu said:

What the heck is a scotch eggs.  

Hard boiled egg in the middle, coated in sausage meat, breadcrumbs on the outside and deep fried.

”gourmet” scotch eggs would have a runny yolk or black pudding in them.

9 minutes ago, Donsyb said:

Hard boiled egg in the middle, coated in sausage meat, breadcrumbs on the outside and deep fried.

”gourmet” scotch eggs would have a runny yolk or black pudding in them.

You had me at, "...coated in sausage meat,..." . Ah, the magic animal. 🥓, 🐷

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

There are enough veg on any ship to satisfy anybody.  They are everywhere you look especially in Windjammer.

So you are saying if we have one vegetarian in our group, that person should just eat in the Windjammer?  I think having just one single choice in MDR--that is meant to cover both vegan and vegetarian, is pretty limiting.  The percentage of vegetarians is growing all the time. Even having 1 vegetarian option and one vegan option is less that before, but more than the new menu is offering. 

Edited by rockmom
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, rockmom said:

So you are saying if we have one vegetarian in our group, that person should just eat in the Windjammer?  I think having just one single choice in MDR--that is meant to cover both vegan and vegetarian, is pretty limiting.  The percentage of vegetarians is growing all the time. Even having 1 vegetarian option and one vegan option is less that before, but more than the new menu is offering. 

I’m not vegetarian but will

often choose the vegetarian option in restaurants because it appeals to me more. The one thing that does surprise me about the new menus is that lack of vegetarian choices considering the trends these days.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, rockmom said:

No I never said that...just that there are many locations serving veg.  So in MDR, ask for more vegetables, we have had Indian dishes prepared at the drop of a hat on many cruises. You can also arrange with the maitre d' and waiters for just Vegan food. Maybe you missed the word "EVERYWHERE" in my post.  Course I am not vegan.  But I see them everywhere.  Especially at Solarium Bistro.

Edited by BecciBoo

11 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

No I never said that...just that there are many locations serving veg.  So in MDR, ask for more vegetables, we have had Indian dishes prepared at the drop of a hat on many cruises. You can also arrange with the maitre d' and waiters for just Vegan food. Maybe you missed the word "EVERYWHERE" in my post.  Course I am not vegan.  But I see them everywhere.  Especially at Solarium Bistro.

The new menus note at the bottom in the small print (and reports from those currently sailing on various ships confirm) that special requests will no longer be accommodated unless it's for a health issue like an allergy or gluten intolerance.  

17 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

also, there is a large difference between vegetarian and vegan.  Since there is no longer vegetarian options listed and only one vegan, that is extremely limiting for a vegetarian. Vegan doesn't eat anything with any sort of animal product used at all. So nothing made with dairy, eggs, butter (no bread products, pasta, cheese, milk, etc.)  That is definitely a more restrictrive diet than vegetarian.  

Edited by rockmom