Celebrity Mediterranean cruises

I did Italy last year, I would say more North Americans than Europeans.

Heck I moved 400km across the province and met an old friend from my gym on the flight then he ended up boarding the same cruise - hadn't seen him since 2019 lol

On my Reflection Mediterranean cruise in June 2022 most passengers were from the United States, followed by Britain then some Canadians and some Europeans. We did not meet any other Australians but I think there would have been a few on board. On previous Mediterranean cruises before Covid there were more Europeans on board than in 2022 but still the majority were from the USA and Britain with a lot more Australians and New Zealanders. I would expect the mix of nationalities will be similar to pre Covid in 2024, once travel is pretty much back to normal. The majority of passengers will speak English.

Edited by PurpleTraveller
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

We booked a 2024 Italy and French Rivera cruise on the Equinox. Out of curiosity, will most passengers be European?  I’m assuming they will be.  

Many from all over the globe. A tid bit is that there, in my experience, they reference us as "Being From The States" not USA  English will be the norm. You're fine! 

patty 

We did a Western Med cruise on the NCL Epic back in 2015 and there were lots of Spaniards and Italians in addition to Canadians, Brits, and Americans.  Some shows even had Spanish language performances in addition to English language performances.  

However, just did a Greece/ Turkey/Israel cruise this past Fall also on NCL and most cruisers were American or British.  

Your pre-cruise and post-cruise stays will be where you will run into more Europeans and perhaps not have as many English speaking people around.  Most speak English,  but some will not.  For your transportation to the hotel and from the hotel you can request an English speaking driver.

As for the ship mostly Americans.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Thanks 1

FWIW we just got off a 38-day B2B on the NCL Jade from Athens to Cape Town by way of Dubai and there were guests from 39 different countries on each leg. So you never really know. There were quite a few from the US, Canada, Australia and NZ, the UK, Germany, but some were also from various South American countries. Needless to say it was hit and miss whether the people we passed in the hallway or met in the elevator spoke English. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. 😂

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

FWIW we just got off a 38-day B2B on the NCL Jade from Athens to Cape Town by way of Dubai and there were guests from 39 different countries on each leg. So you never really know. There were quite a few from the US, Canada, Australia and NZ, the UK, Germany, but some were also from various South American countries. Needless to say it was hit and miss whether the people we passed in the hallway or met in the elevator spoke English. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. 😂

Sounds like a great trip 

it would be nice if Celebrity would do something interesting 

2 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

We booked a 2024 Italy and French Rivera cruise on the Equinox. Out of curiosity, will most passengers be European?  I’m assuming they will be.  

You assume wrong. The majority will be from English speaking countries as mentioned. Of course there will be some passengers from other countries, but they will be in the minority.

There are cruise lines that promote and cater mainly to European cruisers, although, of course, they will also have pax from some  other countries. These include but arent limited to Costa, Aida, TUI, and MSC.

• Like 1

I would have to pull out our cruise history for the actual number of Med cruises we have done but we definitely have done more than seven.  Celebrity is an American cruise line (despite where the ships are registered), and my experience is that the bulk of the passengers have been from North America followed by folks from the UK.

And I also wonder if our OP has ever ever been out of North America.  I suspect not.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Sounds like a great trip 

it would be nice if Celebrity would do something interesting 

It was a great trip (see my Live From thread below), but we would have much rather booked the cruise with Celebrity or Princess for that matter. But, at the same time it allowed us to experience a much different cruise experience than we had expected. Now, NCL is the 3rd cruise line we consider if they offer a unique itinerary our other 2 favorite lines don’t offer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On our Baltic Cruise on Apex from Amsterdam this past summer, there were just 500 Americans out of 1,100. The rest was made up of a large number of Mexicans and Dutch with a few Germans, Canadians, Brits etc. There may have been less Americans due to Covid. I wouldn’t worry about the language. The Dutch spoke better English than me!  Anyway part of the joy of travelling is meeting people from different countries and cultures. It makes life more interesting. Observing and discussing differences in national behaviours on our cruise was a hot topic at dinner for our family.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Aloha. Past experience with Med cruises with Celebrity was with most Americans but I believe it may depend on time of month and itinerary etc.  Those are factors also.

It will depend on what month you travel. August is the big holiday month for most of Europe so if you are travelling then you can expect more Europeans to be on the ship. 
When we did the Med in August a few years ago we departed from Rome and there were quite a lot of Italians on the ship. 
British were the largest group at that time of year. There were also quite a lot of Aussies and Kiwis as they were escaping their winter. Less Americans on our particular cruise. 

On our Reflection cruise from Rome last August, I would guess majority of the 1600 passengers were US citizens, next UK and then English-speaking Europeans. We also had many from Australia who had been locked down for 2 years. It was a welcomed diverse passenger mix, and we enjoyed interacting with so many none US citizens. Since we had just booked our 2024 Australian/NZ cruises, I learned much valuable information from the Australians we met onboard.

14 hours ago, Lena11033 said:

I did Italy last year, I would say more North Americans than Europeans.

Heck I moved 400km across the province and met an old friend from my gym on the flight then he ended up boarding the same cruise - hadn't seen him since 2019 lol

Small world!  lol

14 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Have you been outside of the USA ? 

yes

14 hours ago, PurpleTraveller said:

On my Reflection Mediterranean cruise in June 2022 most passengers were from the United States, followed by Britain then some Canadians and some Europeans. We did not meet any other Australians but I think there would have been a few on board. On previous Mediterranean cruises before Covid there were more Europeans on board than in 2022 but still the majority were from the USA and Britain with a lot more Australians and New Zealanders. I would expect the mix of nationalities will be similar to pre Covid in 2024, once travel is pretty much back to normal. The majority of passengers will speak English.

Thanks!  

14 hours ago, cw2go said:

Many from all over the globe. A tid bit is that there, in my experience, they reference us as "Being From The States" not USA  English will be the norm. You're fine! 

patty 

Interesting.  Thanks!

13 hours ago, Crazy planning mom said:

We did a Western Med cruise on the NCL Epic back in 2015 and there were lots of Spaniards and Italians in addition to Canadians, Brits, and Americans.  Some shows even had Spanish language performances in addition to English language performances.  

However, just did a Greece/ Turkey/Israel cruise this past Fall also on NCL and most cruisers were American or British.  

That would be interesting!

13 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

On BTB Constellation cruises in October. Most passengers were from the US with a healthy minority of British and Canadians, and handfuls of other nationalities.

I'm hoping to meet some people from other cultures.  

12 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Your pre-cruise and post-cruise stays will be where you will run into more Europeans and perhaps not have as many English speaking people around.  Most speak English,  but some will not.  For your transportation to the hotel and from the hotel you can request an English speaking driver.

As for the ship mostly Americans.

Yes, I'm expecting many Europeans on land.  I am planning to learn a few basic phrases in Italian before our cruise.  

11 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

It would be so cool to meet people from all over the world!

11 hours ago, mom says said:

You assume wrong. The majority will be from English speaking countries as mentioned. Of course there will be some passengers from other countries, but they will be in the minority.

There are cruise lines that promote and cater mainly to European cruisers, although, of course, they will also have pax from some  other countries. These include but arent limited to Costa, Aida, TUI, and MSC.

I didn't think about that. 

5 hours ago, Scottishclover said:

On our Baltic Cruise on Apex from Amsterdam this past summer, there were just 500 Americans out of 1,100. The rest was made up of a large number of Mexicans and Dutch with a few Germans, Canadians, Brits etc. There may have been less Americans due to Covid. I wouldn’t worry about the language. The Dutch spoke better English than me!  Anyway part of the joy of travelling is meeting people from different countries and cultures. It makes life more interesting. Observing and discussing differences in national behaviours on our cruise was a hot topic at dinner for our family.

I wasn't worried about language.  I just enjoy meeting new people when we cruise and was hoping language wouldn't be a barrier.  I completely agree about meeting new people from different cultures!  

2 hours ago, LouChamp said:

Aloha. Past experience with Med cruises with Celebrity was with most Americans but I believe it may depend on time of month and itinerary etc.  Those are factors also.

Thanks!

54 minutes ago, bremenkat said:

It will depend on what month you travel. August is the big holiday month for most of Europe so if you are travelling then you can expect more Europeans to be on the ship. 
When we did the Med in August a few years ago we departed from Rome and there were quite a lot of Italians on the ship. 
British were the largest group at that time of year. There were also quite a lot of Aussies and Kiwis as they were escaping their winter. Less Americans on our particular cruise. 

We will be going in June.  I would love to sail with such a diverse group if I were able to converse with them!  

5 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

On our Reflection cruise from Rome last August, I would guess majority of the 1600 passengers were US citizens, next UK and then English-speaking Europeans. We also had many from Australia who had been locked down for 2 years. It was a welcomed diverse passenger mix, and we enjoyed interacting with so many none US citizens. Since we had just booked our 2024 Australian/NZ cruises, I learned much valuable information from the Australians we met onboard.

I would enjoy that as well!  Australia is near the top, if not at the top, of my husbands bucket list!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, anniegb said:

June is not a school holiday period for the majority of the UK (i.e. England).  Scottish schools start their summer holidays towards end of June. English schools traditionally opt for August.

Is Scotland considered to be north of the WALL? 🤔😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, anniegb said:

June is not a school holiday period for the majority of the UK (i.e. England).  Scottish schools start their summer holidays towards end of June. English schools traditionally opt for August.

We expected more kids on the Reflection last August and we saw very few on the cruise, might have been affected by Covid since Celebrity still required full vaccination status and a negative test 2 days prior. to boarding.

13 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

We expected more kids on the Reflection last August and we saw very few on the cruise, might have been affected by Covid since Celebrity still required full vaccination status and a negative test 2 days prior. to boarding.

If you can sail on Celebrity from SOTON, why would you want to travel to Barcelona ?? and IIRC Spain still had Covid entry requirements.  UK airports, like many in Europe, were impacted by travel disruption caused by shortages of staff.